Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I am new here...

jandk70
January 31st, 2010, 05:26 PM
Hi , my name is Kathy , Mama to Scooter and Roo,
wondering if anyone knows if cats can get ulcers??????

bendyfoot
January 31st, 2010, 05:32 PM
Hi Kathy,
what's going on with your kitty?

Love4himies
January 31st, 2010, 05:58 PM
Hi Kathy, what type of ulcers are you talking about?

jandk70
January 31st, 2010, 06:08 PM
Hi , well , so much , he has started out constipated, and ended up anorexic........Long story short,Roo was so active in the summer, he is 13.5 years young, he lost his litter mate the previous September, and he has been loud and vocal and busy ever since, ....Roo is a house cat , but in the summer these last couple years it is all about outside......we actually thought he was so wound up we thought he needed a valium, we would tell him he needed to calm down , or he is gonna get an ulcer,........after summer , the snow has just put a big damper on his whole life .....he just wound down, we noticed some weight loss, but still a happy boy,

Roo has suffered on and off with constipation and we give him lactolose it keeps him regular,....but itcaught up and we had to take him in to the vet and have an enema, first time for that, since then , and even before he is so lethargic ,....The vet now says he is almost anorexic, he has been eating so little, not interested in anything, like he gives up,

just had him back Friday and did all tests again , blood , urine, x-ray , he is fine nothing showing, and now we are feeding him by syringe, it is slow going, he has thrown up a few times , then this morning , 4am, threw up blood, but he is also on an antibiotic, Clavamox for a possible urinary infection,......we have stoped the clavamox for now, need to get more food in him called the vet for something to coat his tummy , he gave me Sulcrate, seems to be working so far , little bits of food now, he is able to keep down,

But , now we wonder , is it a posible ulcer?????

Love4himies
January 31st, 2010, 06:15 PM
Of course it is possible for a stomach ulcer.

Clavamox can be very irritating on the stomach lining and can cause your cat to become very nauseous.

Did your vet do any urine cultures to check for bacterial infection? What about xrays looking for kidney/bladder stones?

What are you currently feeding your cat?

jandk70
January 31st, 2010, 06:22 PM
Hi Roo is getting the hills a/d mixed with a bit of water, vet did all the cchecks all his vitals are good, kidneys, liver its all great, he put him on the clavamox because he said its a slight bladder infection, Because he was not eating enough ,he was getting it all out in urine, concentrating the urine,

he was also very gassy before the sulcrate,

Love4himies
January 31st, 2010, 06:34 PM
Did the vet do a urine culture to ensure there was an infection?

First, I would take him off that food, it really is not very good quality. Corn could be causing a problem with your kitty.

Ingredients
Water, Pork Liver, Poultry Liver, Chicken, Corn Flour, Pork Protein Isolate, Fish Oil, Chicken Liver Flavor, Calcium Carbonate, Sodium Tripolyphosphate, Guar Gum, Potassium Chloride, Taurine, Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Magnesium Oxide, Ascorbic Acid (source of Vitamin C), Zinc Oxide, Ferrous Sulfate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Beta Carotene, Manganous Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Niacin, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Biotin, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite, Folic Acid.

A better food would be Wellness grain free, canned, nothing with fish in it though, or Nature's Variety, Instinct (canned).

What about thyroid testing? Any xrays?

jandk70
January 31st, 2010, 06:41 PM
did the thyroid as well which was one thing we thought of since Roo was so haywire in summer and now so blah, I so wish he could talk, just relly concerned about the blood in the vomit, .......,and had x-rays, I think he wanted to give him the clavamox more as a precaution, and the a/d is from the vet, we normally feed them the nutrients, but I have tried the wellness, I am all into trying better stuff,the vet recomended a food with more fibre for him three weeks ago, for his bowels, and of course he has cat grass he loves that normally , but just still so not interested,

jandk70
January 31st, 2010, 08:01 PM
Still trying to get the food in him little at a time, vet said if he is not eating on his own by Thursday he thinks he should have a feeding tube, the question is if he is ok and all test have checked out ok, what could keep him from wanting to eat??? all these things go through our heads, is it depression , an ulcer?? I just don't know what to think.....

sugarcatmom
January 31st, 2010, 10:12 PM
I would suggest trying an appetite stimulant before the feeding tube, although feeding tubes can be a life saver in the appropriate situation. Ask your vet about mirtazapine (http://www.VeterinaryPartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&C=301&A=2552&S=2). You only have to give it once every 3 days (if you even need more than one dose) and it also helps with nausea.

To help sooth the lining of Roo's stomach, pick up some slippery elm bark (http://www.littlebigcat.com/?action=library&act=show&item=slipperyelm) powder and make a syrup that you can syringe into his mouth. There is a recipe at the bottom of the link.

Some info on anorexia:
http://www.marvistavet.com/html/anorexia.html
http://www.assistfeed.com/FelineAnorexia.htm

And info on feeding tubes:
http://www.catinfo.org/feedingtubes.htm

Good luck!

14+kitties
January 31st, 2010, 10:21 PM
Good luck with your boy. I know how heartbreaking it is to see them go through this and feeling completely helpless.
My boy was on mirtazapine and did well with it. He managed to gain some much needed weight and since he has been off of it has maintained.
I noticed you said he was an indoor only but now goes outside. Has he had fleas at all? Has he been treated for them? Has he been tested for parasites? Just a few questions you may want to ask your vet.
Have you tried giving him some "treats" as in baby food (with no onions or garlic), lightly cooked chicken, raw or lightly cooked liver. Anything that is healthy for him and may spike his interest in food.

jandk70
February 1st, 2010, 11:53 AM
I am just too late here, We lost Roo last night ....he just slipped awsy , he meowed out in pain, first time we have heard him in a while, so hard to know with them, he was ready, I just know and feel it, he said let me go ........We took him to the vet last night just in time he was on the table, and half way gone he did a big stretch like he was ready for nap, and then he was just gone, I am so glad we were with him, both my husband and I ......Thank You and I am going to stay on here there is so much info , and everyone is willing to lend an ear, to help and support.........Kathy

sugarcatmom
February 1st, 2010, 12:07 PM
I am just too late here, We lost Roo last night ....

Oh no!! I'm so sorry..... My condolences on your loss. :rip: Roo :candle:

growler~GateKeeper
February 3rd, 2010, 12:47 AM
:rip: sweet :angel2: Roo :candle: He is playing at the Rainbow Bridge (http://www.indigo.org/rainbowbridge_ver2.html) with those who've gone before :candle: