Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

New kitten in a house with 2 cats and a dog

snowflake1
January 30th, 2010, 01:16 AM
So my husband and I went to the local humane society today and adopted a 3.5month old kitten. When we got her home and set her up in the room for her she came out right away.

My question is the humane society said we should quaratene her for two weeks from the other cats. Incase she is bringing something in with her. Inam wondering if we need keep in the room for two weeks or can we let her out sooner. I feel so bad locking her in the room by herself.
Sorry if my spelling sucks or if this makes no sense I am typing this on my itouch and I can't see everything I wrote

ownedbycats
January 30th, 2010, 09:16 AM
First, not only is putting her in a room by herself a good idea for keeping your current cats safe, in the long run it may help them all to get along. Humane societies dont' have money to test for every major disease. If the one you adopted from hasn't had her checked she needs to go to a vet or you risk making all your cats sick. Also, cats need gradual introductions. Letting them all meet immediately can lead to lifelong squabbles and fights. Keeping her in a room lets them get used to hearing and smelling her without having to be confronted by a bouncy excited kitten who may annoy them with all her extra energy. Slow can be frustrating, but in the long run your animals will be happier for it. Jsut spend time in the room with her so she isn't lonely and make sure she has lots of toys, and make sure the other cats don't feel neglected because of an extra cute newcomer.

lindapalm
January 30th, 2010, 10:01 PM
Look at it this way, considering the cage she was probably in a the Humane
Soc., keeping her in a room by herself will probably seem like heaven to her. Your other cats will soon know shes in there, and then it gets hard keeping them from scratching at the door. You might have to put a baby gate outside the door or some type of barrier, our cats used to stretch their paws under the door to try to reach the newcomer.

kashtin's kin
January 31st, 2010, 01:29 AM
Good advice, above :thumbs up...it's always tough doing the quarantine thing; I'm a v. impatient :rolleyes: person, and also hate to keep a critter cooped up and/or alone for a while. However, I've had to do it a few times, for up to 6 weeks :eek:, so hang in there. It's great you've been able to give a shelter kitty a home :cat::D!!

snowflake1
January 31st, 2010, 09:07 AM
I agree! But it is very hard when she in the room by herself but I know it is for the good. You can hear her meowing and purring so cute! Then the moment you open the door she makes a run for it. One of the cats, sit at the door and just watches. The other cat could care less now. He is not hissing at random things so that is good. :)

Question about my dog though. When the dog sees does her, she does this side eye glance thing when the kitten is looking at her. But the moment the kitten looks the other ways, she is just too interested. She is fine with our other two cats. I was thinking it is probably just because she is new in the house and my dog doesn't really know who she is. Do I have anything to worry about?