Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Greetings from Burnaby, British Columbia :)

alicelc
April 7th, 2010, 09:47 AM
Hello pets.ca members :)

Sorry but I have been lurking these forums for about a month. I was reading threads about food, breeds and anything else that would answer questions I had.

I am still in the researching phase of owning my first ever puppy or dog. I have always wanted one because "they were cute" - which now I know is not a good enough reason. My parents big "no-nos" are - high shedding, doggy smell, and possible scratching on walls and doors. So have eliminated several breeds (my sister loves the Husky - sorry). And I think they need an active household; we are not lazy, couch potatoes but we are also not active people either. We are somewhere in between...

I have contacted a local Miniature Schnauzer(MS) breeder but am having second thoughts and considering going the rescue path. But one thing I am worried about is the health of rescue dogs. Not just now but later in it's life. The MS breeder has a lifetime health guarantee which is very assuring.
I will be the primary owner of the dog; which means buying the food, toys and everything else that spoils the dog silly :highfive:

What should I do; rescue or breeder :shrug:

14+kitties
April 7th, 2010, 11:22 AM
Welcome alicelc! Never apologize for lurking. You have obviously made up your mind we are good people. That's wonderful!
If you have been doing lots of reading I am sure you know there are a few people here who rescue. There are so many dogs and cats who need homes I personally do not feel breeding should be done until they have found homes. :shrug:
I would wonder about a breeder offering "lifetime" guarantees on health. I didn't think even the best ones went beyond two or three years. However, if you have found one who does, that's good. Just check the contract carefully.
If you decide to go the rescue route there are many reputable rescues out there. Our own BenMax, LuckyPenny, Shaykejia, Frenchy, and others I could name would be able to put you in touch with some of the rescues. There are also great dogs available at shelters. Many will be put down if no home is found. :( Petfinder.com is another way to search.
I have had a few mixed breeds over my lifetime. All of them have been healthy right up to old age. The one purebred I have had, still do, is the one who has had the health issues.

NoahGrey
April 7th, 2010, 06:59 PM
Rescue or your local animal shelter. Don't buy, while homeless animals die.

By the way, I love Burnaby. One of the places where I would love to live.

ACO22

kungfuMao
April 7th, 2010, 09:31 PM
Hi! Welcome!

Keep browsing petfinder.com I used to think the same way as you regarding breeder vs. rescue. But the more I browse petfinder, the more I am sure that when it comes time for us to have a dog, we will certainly adopt.
Even if there is a lifetime guarantee, it doesn't mean that your pet's health is actually guaranteed to be swell. There's always the unpredictable situations, the unanticipated events. Keeping that fact in mind, rescue an animal!! :thumbs up You won't regret it!

Dee-O-Gee
April 7th, 2010, 11:05 PM
64096 to the forum alicelc! :thumbs up

I think it's great to hear that you have been "lurking" the forum for some time and welcome your curiosity! :thumbs up

Always best to start edumacating yourself before making any life changing decisions. :)

All I can say is keep doing what you have been doing and research your feelings as far as rescue vs reputable breeder. One of these choices will hit you like a ton of bricks and you'll know then that you have made the right decision! :thumbs up

Good luck and please keep us posted. :)

hazelrunpack
April 8th, 2010, 02:16 PM
Welcome, alicelc!

A lifetime guarantee may not be what you think. Often, to 'cash in' on the guarantee, you need to return the dog to the breeder, where they're often put down. So make sure you ask lots of questions.

Whatever you decide, I hope you keep us posted with lots of pictures. :D

ancientgirl
April 8th, 2010, 02:55 PM
Welcome. Please don't think that just because a dog or cat is in a shelter there is something automatically wrong with them in any way. Many pets are given up because of economic reasons, relocation, new baby arrivals and really I could go on and on. You can find a perfectly healthy and sometimes even trained and housebroken pup at a rescue.:dog:

Tundra_Queen
April 17th, 2010, 05:30 AM
Hi.. Welcome to the forum!

I would try and go the rescue way,,there are rescues that take in specific breeds so u can still get a purebreed but thru a rescue. Also what happens if u go thru a breeder that say they have a lifetime health guarantee and they go out of business and your dog gets sick anyways but the breeder is no longer in business to honor their guarantee?