Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Is it possible to get someone banned from a city dog park?

shibamom
January 28th, 2010, 05:38 PM
There's a dog (sheltie) and a woman who go to our local dog park every day. Her dog has major behavioural issues (constantly biting other dog's necks, even when they try and run away from it), and a real dog fight breaks out everytime this dog enters the park. Everyone leaves the minute she comes in, it is so unfortunate.

Obviously, this sheltie's behaviour is a result of poor handling (she whispers 'treat' from 20ft away when her dog is attacking other dogs and drawing blood!!!). People scream and yell at the owner to get the H out of the park on a daily basis, but she comes back every morning. I'm not sure she is 100% with it, to be honest.

Do local cities actually ban people from dog parks? This isn't a park that requires membership.

I would like to return to this park but I cannot risk my dog being attacked by this sheltie again and again. Other frequent visitors now drive 30 min away to another park.

Cathy1
January 28th, 2010, 05:49 PM
A similar problem happened at our park and someone phoned the police. When the police came they asked the woman questions and took her name, address etc. and also took the name of witnesses and their statements, it was then given to our bylaw officer which banned her from the park. I don't know if she ever came back because I quit going because of all the problems there.

Etown_Chick
January 28th, 2010, 10:28 PM
shibamom
I'm not sure where you are, but I'm willing to bet you have bylaws about aggressive dogs. Neither you nor the other park users have to put yourselves or your dogs at risk.
Call bylaw or your local police and tell them what's going on. Tell them which park and what time she is always there.
A good description and license plate number are also helpful.
We did that at our park and sure enough, two bylaw officers showed up the next day and had a 'chat' with road collie's human.
You may need to do this a couple of times. WIth luck, bylaw or the police will see the dog in action. What happens next depends on your local laws. At any rate, this dog is a threat. If she's not clever enough to deal with it, maybe this will be the wake-up call she needs.
(By the way, we have run a couple of people off our park for having aggressive, uncontrolled dogs..don't mess with us! lol)

Chris21711
January 29th, 2010, 09:46 AM
I would call the bylaw dept Shibamom.....a man used to go to one of our local dog parks with 3 Huskies, one of which was forever instigating fights, he got banned and tried to appeal it to no avail.

katty5256
January 31st, 2010, 12:19 PM
Too bad the dog doesn't know any better and has to suffer being banned because of weak leadership. From the way she responds I can imagine it might be hard to mention this but has anyone pulled her aside and given her the name of a really good behaviorist? Or stick it under her car wiper if you don't want to say it to her?

The reason I say this is because when I rescued Allie she was this bad if not worse. She would usually come in and start a full blood attack within 5 seconds and had no shame on recruiting a dozen dogs into it. Someone told me not to get discouraged and gave me the # to someone really good in my area. I worked hard with her until I got to the point I could take her again and now she is the one breaking up other fights and teaching other dogs to be more stable in the park pack.

Etown_Chick
January 31st, 2010, 01:18 PM
Good point, katty,
a lot of us have rescue doggies whose behavior wasn't 'ideal' when we first adopted them.