Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Brownie's vet visit

14+kitties
January 28th, 2010, 02:23 PM
Brownie had another trip to the vets today for more blood work. I had the other vet. Not the one who has been seeing him. She took a look at what has been happening, read the whole file, the blood tests, etc., and said something doesn't fit. She doesn't think his liver is the issue. :wall: Nor does she think auto immune. She said if it was his liver she would be looking at a dead cat and he definitely is not that! So I have put Brownie through all of this for ?????????
She asked what meds Brownie is/has been on. I told her and told her about the meds I had him on as well. She is now thinking he has a blood parasite. Hmmm, I think I mentioned that possibility a long time ago. :shrug: We are testing Feline Hemotropic Mycoplasma, CBC and Platelet, and Bilirubin. She said there was no sense testing the rest as it was in normal ranges the last two times he was tested. I guess there is a blood parasite that will show up as a false negative when being tested. He will most likely be going on Doxycycline again. This time for a longer period as she feels that is what helped him before but he wasn't on it long enough. His spleen is still enlarged.
If nothing shows in the tests she mentioned bone marrow extraction as it would definitely show something. I'm hoping we don't have to go that far.
Now I don't know if I should be keeping him on the Livertone. I also had just started him on Denemarin. Neither will hurt but...... I don't know.

Chris21711
January 28th, 2010, 02:34 PM
What an enigma this is turning out to be 14k....does she have any explanation for an enlarged spleen?

:grouphug:'s to the both of you :)

14+kitties
January 28th, 2010, 02:39 PM
Only that it would make sense if it was a blood parasite as it would be attacking the cells and the spleen would be working overtime to try to make more. :shrug:
I am really hoping it's not too late and we find something that will work for him. I am going to do a search for anything that may help as soon as I get back from the grocery store.

Chris21711
January 28th, 2010, 02:42 PM
Only that it would make sense if it was a blood parasite as it would be attacking the cells and the spleen would be working overtime to try to make more. :shrug:

Thanks 14k...I had no idea what the correlation could be.

I am really hoping it's not too late and we find something that will work for him. I am going to do a search for anything that may help as soon as I get back from the grocery store.

:pray: that it is not too late. How does he seem in his demeanour?

quincymycat
January 28th, 2010, 02:43 PM
Poor Brownie.:goodvibes: It is so unnerving when you see 2 different vets in the same offfice, with the same information in front of them and you get conflicting explantions or diagnoses :frustrated:
Here's to at least an explanation.

14+kitties
January 28th, 2010, 02:46 PM
He is doing all things cat. But he has been sleeping more this week. :( He does spend a lot of time following Meowzer around. Whenever Meowzer heads for the food Brownie is not far behind. :thumbs up At night they usually walk the house side by side. It's very sweet to watch. Their night time activity may account for why he is tired during the day but I have a feeling it's whatever is attacking his system. It would be nice to have some answers.

Chris21711
January 28th, 2010, 02:52 PM
I see very little of Kale downstairs during the day 14k, but at night I can hear him ripping around.....Lets be real positive on this ok or I'll pull out the big guns :D

14+kitties
January 28th, 2010, 02:59 PM
I see very little of Kale downstairs during the day 14k, but at night I can hear him ripping around.....Lets be real positive on this ok or I'll pull out the big guns :D

Hubby keeps telling me if anyone can pull him through this it's me. I've been trying hard for quite a few months now. I have no intention of just giving up. :thumbs up
Now I gotta go find something for supper and stock up on kitty food for the next week..... 200 cans here we come!!!

Chris21711
January 28th, 2010, 03:08 PM
Hubby keeps telling me if anyone can pull him through this it's me. I've been trying hard for quite a few months now. I have no intention of just giving up. :thumbs up

I know you have no intention of giving up m/g/f/. I know you will keep on trying and trying and I have faith in you to succeed :thumbs up

Now I gotta go find something for supper and stock up on kitty food for the next week..... 200 cans here we come!!!

Without you the store would go out of business :laughing:

Tig's mom
January 28th, 2010, 03:09 PM
:sorry:I am sorry that you and Brownie have to go through all of this.
You are so well educated, and have taken such wonderful care of your
all of your cats.I will pray that you will find a solution to Brownie's current
illness.:pray:
I only know 'people medicine', and often I have asked my Vet to do additional screening for things that are 'people related'.He's used to me asking for things that are not the same in cats as in humans.
Could they do blood cutures for parasites? , or again, it may not be a test for
cats. I wish I could help.:(
I will keep you, Brownie, and your kitties in thoughts and prayers.:grouphug:

sugarcatmom
January 28th, 2010, 03:40 PM
She is now thinking he has a blood parasite.

Ah-ha! See, that's what I was thinking. Here is my previous post on that: http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=862295&highlight=Feline+Hemotropic+Mycoplasma#post862295

Hopefully this time they're sending the blood out for a PCR test and not just a smear.

Love4himies
January 28th, 2010, 06:01 PM
I hope you may finally have an answer.:pray:

Poor Brownie.:goodvibes: It is so unnerving when you see 2 different vets in the same offfice, with the same information in front of them and you get conflicting explantions or diagnoses :frustrated:
Here's to at least an explanation.

I was thinking the same thing :frustrated:. Sad that you have to pay for a wrong diagnosis:(

He is doing all things cat. But he has been sleeping more this week. :( He does spend a lot of time following Meowzer around. Whenever Meowzer heads for the food Brownie is not far behind. :thumbs up At night they usually walk the house side by side. It's very sweet to watch. Their night time activity may account for why he is tired during the day but I have a feeling it's whatever is attacking his system. It would be nice to have some answers.

Awwww, how sweet :lovestruck: :cloud9:. Do we get pics? :D

Hubby is right :thumbs up.

200 cans of cat food :eek:, hope they give you a good discount

14+kitties
January 28th, 2010, 09:44 PM
Ah-ha! See, that's what I was thinking. Here is my previous post on that: http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=862295&highlight=Feline+Hemotropic+Mycoplasma#post862295

Hopefully this time they're sending the blood out for a PCR test and not just a smear.

Unfortunately I can't bring a sugarcatmom to the vet with me when I go. I had mentioned the possibilities of a parasite when all of this first started as Brownie spent a lot of time under the trees in the catuary. I also asked about the test after you mentioned it SCM and the other vet said it had already been tested for. It was. The smear. This time this vet took extra blood to have the whole thing done. :fingerscr something shows.

I hope you may finally have an answer.:pray:
I was thinking the same thing :frustrated:. Sad that you have to pay for a wrong diagnosis:(
Awwww, how sweet :lovestruck: :cloud9:. Do we get pics? :D
Hubby is right :thumbs up.
200 cans of cat food :eek:, hope they give you a good discount

Me too L4. Me too. I have been putting out tons of money that I really can't afford the last few months. I don't regret spending a penny of it if it helps in Brownie's recovery. I am praying now the meds he was on didn't do more harm to him.
Meowzer is so stressed from the vet visit today he has been sleeping almost all day so no pics tonight. He went in for a urine test. He is good but needs to drink more water so I will add more to his food. She thinks he was stressed when he was in the catuary because of new cats coming in and the hierarchy being thrown off. So now he's a house cat too. Hubby is thrilled!!! :rolleyes:
No discount on the food. I keep asking. :shrug: Oh well. That's what I work for. :D

growler~GateKeeper
January 28th, 2010, 10:04 PM
Hopefully this new vet has a better perspective :fingerscr

Re the food - check with the manufactures' websites and see if they have a coupon promotion :goodvibes:

hazelrunpack
January 28th, 2010, 10:07 PM
:grouphug:

How long before the results come back, 14+?

:fingerscr for some answers this time! :goodvibes: Hang in there, Brownie!

14+kitties
January 28th, 2010, 10:11 PM
Hopefully this new vet has a better perspective :fingerscr

Re the food - check with the manufactures' websites and see if they have a coupon promotion :goodvibes:

Me too. Thanks growler.
I keep checking sites for deals. Sometimes I find them. Sometimes not.

How long before the results come back, 14+?

:fingerscr for some answers this time! :goodvibes: Hang in there, Brownie!

Tomorrow. She is going to check as soon as they come in and call. Regardless she is putting him on the Doxycycline again. This time for a longer time. She said it wouldn't do any harm. Thanks for the good thoughts. :thumbs up

hazelrunpack
January 28th, 2010, 10:23 PM
*sigh* Doxy and hazel are good friends--Cole and Macie both just came off 6 weeks of it and Ridge is in her 5th week. For the dogs, a probiotic helps immensely during long-term doxycycline treatment--not sure if it helps in cats, as well, or even if cats can have the same intestinal upset under treatment, though. :o

14+kitties
January 28th, 2010, 10:31 PM
*sigh* Doxy and hazel are good friends--Cole and Macie both just came off 6 weeks of it and Ridge is in her 5th week. For the dogs, a probiotic helps immensely during long-term doxycycline treatment--not sure if it helps in cats, as well, or even if cats can have the same intestinal upset under treatment, though. :o

Thanks hazel. I have some acidophilus in the fridge so if needed I can give it to him. Poor guy. I feel like I'm spending half his life pilling him.
I'll keep my :fingerscr and send out lots of :goodvibes: for Cole, Macie and Ridge. Hopefully the doxy will have done it's job.

hazelrunpack
January 28th, 2010, 10:40 PM
If you have acidophilus capsules, just open one up and sprinkle a little bit of it over his food. You won't need much....we only give the dogs about half a capsule and they weight about 50 pounds... The capsules we use can be reclosed if we're careful, too, so we don't waste any :thumbs up

angeldogs
January 29th, 2010, 09:03 AM
Poor Brownie and you as this has to be very stressful on both of you.:fingerscr that the blood work shows the parasite and you don't have to do bone marrow testing.

If it is a blood parasite how long does it take to get rid of it or them ?.
never had to deal with it.

diandpat
January 29th, 2010, 10:20 AM
OMG what a saga this is turning out to be for both you and Brownie :wall::wall:

Poor soul with all those vet visits and being poked and proded...can't make him very happy.

Hopefully today will shine some light on the problem and he is on the road to recovery really soon :goodvibes:

(how many "housecats" does that make now??? :highfive: )

14+kitties
January 29th, 2010, 11:17 AM
If you have acidophilus capsules, just open one up and sprinkle a little bit of it over his food. You won't need much....we only give the dogs about half a capsule and they weight about 50 pounds... The capsules we use can be reclosed if we're careful, too, so we don't waste any :thumbs up

I have the acidophilus powder. I can sprinkle a little over his food. I think the last time I checked it was about 1/8 a tsp. It probably won't hurt any of them to get it.

Poor Brownie and you as this has to be very stressful on both of you.:fingerscr that the blood work shows the parasite and you don't have to do bone marrow testing.

If it is a blood parasite how long does it take to get rid of it or them ?.
never had to deal with it.

From what I've just read it's about three weeks. I would think if that's what he has it's going to be a longer dose because he's had it so long. I still haven't heard from her. :( Here's a site on it.
http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_feline_infectious_anemia.html

OMG what a saga this is turning out to be for both you and Brownie :wall::wall:

Poor soul with all those vet visits and being poked and proded...can't make him very happy.

Hopefully today will shine some light on the problem and he is on the road to recovery really soon :goodvibes:

(how many "housecats" does that make now??? :highfive: )

Thanks Diandpat. We're at 7 now. He's desperately trying to find a way to get that number down. :D We're looking at office trailers that can be converted. :rolleyes:

Winston
January 29th, 2010, 11:33 AM
14+ Hugs MF...So glad that your hopefully going to have the answers. I was checking out that link posted and noticed this....

When a cat is newly infected, it can take up to one month before adequate numbers of parasites are present to actually make the cat sick. Mortality is highest during the month following this initial stage. If the cat recovers, it becomes a permanent carrier though stress can re-activate the infection.

So maybe the big hurdle is over for Brownie in the sense that he has made it through initial stages....I am wondering though if he is now a permanent carrier can he infect other kitties or is it just stress you need to worry about??

Hopefully Brownie will be stress free in the house and all will be better! I am sending more good vibes your way ! :thumbs up :grouphug::grouphug:

I was going to ask you if there is a pet valu near you? I remember a couple of years ago I was getting prices for food because I was buying 3 cases at a time. If I remember correctly there was a program available that if you bought 6 cases you received 1 free. I can check it out for you again if you like. What wet food are you feeding them?

Cindy

ancientgirl
January 29th, 2010, 12:01 PM
So all this time, he could have been treated for one thing, and even be fine now, instead of them putting him through all these tests.

Poor Brownie. I hope everything will be cleared up and you'll know what you are really dealing with in order to get him well. :grouphug::pray:

hazelrunpack
January 29th, 2010, 01:34 PM
I hope you hear soon! :fingerscr :pray: hazel hates waiting... :o :grouphug:

angeldogs
January 29th, 2010, 01:43 PM
I do hope you hear from them soon and can get this whole thing sorted out and know for sure whats causing the health issue.

Tundra_Queen
January 29th, 2010, 04:27 PM

You go thru 200 cans of cat food a week? Oh my! *fainting* Could u find a sales rep from the company and buy straight from them? There must be a phone # for their sales desk somewhere? If u could wrangle that you should be able to save money that way. :fingerscr

I :pray: you get some news on Brownie soon and that it is all good!!:grouphug:
Debbie

krdahmer
January 29th, 2010, 08:33 PM
Well i hope they find that it's been something easy to fix all this time when they test the blood and they both do a big old 'well...der'! :grouphug::goodvibes::pray:

So... another house kitty eh...and hubby hasn't gone to sleep in the garage yet??? :laughing:;)

14+kitties
January 29th, 2010, 11:17 PM
Still haven't heard from the vet. I'm not surprised as she is very popular and busy. She did phone in the scrip for Doxycycline though so I got Brownie started on it. He will be on it for quite some time. If I haven't heard from the vet by Monday I will call her. It's possible the test results didn't come back today as well. Hubby has to pill Brownie tomorrow night as I am working. Should be fun. :rolleyes:

14+ Hugs MF...So glad that your hopefully going to have the answers. I was checking out that link posted and noticed this....

When a cat is newly infected, it can take up to one month before adequate numbers of parasites are present to actually make the cat sick. Mortality is highest during the month following this initial stage. If the cat recovers, it becomes a permanent carrier though stress can re-activate the infection.

I'm keeping a close eye on all of the kitties. If I see any sign they are right in to the vet. This is not something I want to go through again. Believe me.

You go thru 200 cans of cat food a week? Oh my! *fainting* Could u find a sales rep from the company and buy straight from them? There must be a phone # for their sales desk somewhere? If u could wrangle that you should be able to save money that way. :fingerscr
Debbie

I keep looking. Sometimes when I find sales I stock up. Like I said, it's the reason I work. Gotta feed the gang.

Well i hope they find that it's been something easy to fix all this time when they test the blood and they both do a big old 'well...der'! :grouphug::goodvibes::pray:

So... another house kitty eh...and hubby hasn't gone to sleep in the garage yet??? :laughing:;)

Yeah, can you see Dr B going well..... der? :rolleyes:
:laughing::laughing::laughing: Nope, not that bad yet. Maybe soon though. He would have to share it with Ace and Ajax. :laughing:

14+kitties
January 29th, 2010, 11:23 PM
Caught him mid yawn. Please excuse the kitty covered carpet. I didn't have time to run the vaccuum after work tonight. :o
You can see he does have some colour now. His tongue is a lot pinker than it was a couple of months ago. :thumbs up He looks like he's laughing at something.
One of the side by side pics.... Brownie on the left. Meowzer on the right.

Tundra_Queen
January 30th, 2010, 12:32 AM
14+ I'm sorry the vet hasn't called yet...couldn't u call her?

The pic of Brownie and Meowzer look like they are siamese twins at the butt end. LOL that is so cute. I like the one of Brownie sticking his tongue out at u. He is such a sweet boy.

Couldn't ya tell the Wellness company u have a small buisness and would let to sell their cat food to your customers? LOL

Debbie

krdahmer
January 30th, 2010, 01:05 AM
Awwww:lovestruck: floofy tabby butts!!!

14+kitties
January 30th, 2010, 08:10 AM
14+ I'm sorry the vet hasn't called yet...couldn't u call her?

The pic of Brownie and Meowzer look like they are siamese twins at the butt end. LOL that is so cute. I like the one of Brownie sticking his tongue out at u. He is such a sweet boy.

Couldn't ya tell the Wellness company u have a small buisness and would let to sell their cat food to your customers? LOL

Debbie

There are many reasons why she may not have called. It's possible she hasn't got the results back yet. I could call her but they only work till noon today and I have work. Heading out to feed the kitties now.
The kitties mostly refuse to eat Wellness now. I experiment with different foods to see which ones I can get them to eat. Sometimes it's not easy. I have still not given up on raw but will need some time to find the recipe all of the kitties will eat.

krdahmer
January 30th, 2010, 12:05 PM
:offtopic:just a side note for you Gerri, I have started buying my wellness and California naturals at a place just over the river.... I get a case (12) of wellness for about $2 a can for the largest ones and the bag of dry CN is about $30...I'm saving like $12 on the wet and about $15 on the dry....it's really been helping out, plus I have noticed that the wellness turkey I've been getting over there seems to be fresher or something and the cats are once again going nuts for it. My dad noticed the same thing.

If you ever want to go over there and stock up while our dollar is good, just let me know! When I was there friday they had like 10 cases in stock in different flavours.

growler~GateKeeper
January 30th, 2010, 11:37 PM
:goodvibes: for definative answers by Monday!

I have still not given up on raw but will need some time to find the recipe all of the kitties will eat.

If you wish you can try this one for free see what a couple of them think of it anyways: http://www.felinefuture.com/?p=1031 Just add water to the pre-mix and add your own raw meat, this is what Duffy's eating as she cannot handle bone.

14+kitties
January 31st, 2010, 10:51 PM
:goodvibes: for definative answers by Monday!

If you wish you can try this one for free see what a couple of them think of it anyways: http://www.felinefuture.com/?p=1031 Just add water to the pre-mix and add your own raw meat, this is what Duffy's eating as she cannot handle bone.

Instincts is what onster sent me last year. I still have a good amount of it left. It's the finding time to coax my guys and gals to eat it. There aren't many of them that will. If I could get Brownie on it I would be happy for now. At least I would know he is eating the best he can. Next day off I will mix some up for him and the rest of the house kitties to see what happens. I know last time I tried it with hamburger they didn't like it one bit. Will try with chicken again. I had some success with it.

Tundra_Queen
February 2nd, 2010, 04:59 PM
14+ any news from the vet yet?

Debbie

14+kitties
February 2nd, 2010, 10:00 PM
14+ any news from the vet yet?

Debbie

Nope. She's a busy lady. I'm off on Thurs so am going to take a drive to the office. I want to pick up the test results for the last two times and post them. Hopefully she will be available for me for at least a couple of minutes while I'm there.

On the up side Brownie seems to have a lot more energy! I don't know if it's the Doxycycline or a mixture of all of the meds I have him on. He is still taking his 2.5 ml of Livertone in the morning plus I am giving him a Denamarin too. He also gets Aagimik (sp) a few times a week. He hacked up a big hair ball tonight. I figure that alone will make him feel better. :rolleyes:

hazelrunpack
February 2nd, 2010, 10:09 PM
Glad to hear he's still improving! :highfive: And still keeping my :fingerscr for those test results! :goodvibes:

Tundra_Queen
February 2nd, 2010, 11:52 PM
Nope. She's a busy lady. I'm off on Thurs so am going to take a drive to the office. I want to pick up the test results for the last two times and post them. Hopefully she will be available for me for at least a couple of minutes while I'm there.

On the up side Brownie seems to have a lot more energy! I don't know if it's the Doxycycline or a mixture of all of the meds I have him on. He is still taking his 2.5 ml of Livertone in the morning plus I am giving him a Denamarin too. He also gets Aagimik (sp) a few times a week. He hacked up a big hair ball tonight. I figure that alone will make him feel better. :rolleyes:

I'm glad to hear that Brownie has more energy,,,that is great!! It does surprise me that the vet hasn't called you.I hope u get good news! :grouphug:

Debbie

growler~GateKeeper
February 3rd, 2010, 01:37 AM
If I could get Brownie on it I would be happy for now. At least I would know he is eating the best he can. Next day off I will mix some up for him and the rest of the house kitties to see what happens. I know last time I tried it with hamburger they didn't like it one bit. Will try with chicken again. I had some success with it.

If you have a pressure cooking canner there are instructions for canning cat food on their site under the recipes menu :shrug: your gang might go for that as a first step towards raw

When you are going in to pick up the results call & ask if you can "book" a few minutes to talk to her or ask if there are any appt times available & show up during the free times, that way you know she'll be available for questions :)

angeldogs
February 3rd, 2010, 05:50 AM
Brownie is looking good in the pic.Hopefully you will have the results for you on thrusday.

14+kitties
February 6th, 2010, 01:36 PM
Brownie does not have a blood parasite. At least not one showing up with the PCR test. I have decided not to put him through a bone marrow extraction. I think he has been through enough. I will try to post results of this test here later. I asked for the last two blood tests to be copied for me. I got two copies of the last test. :rolleyes: Still want to get the middle one that was done to compare numbers.
From when he had his first bloodwork done in November to now his anemia has gone from marked to mild. I am hoping that is a good sign. Unfortunately his response to the anemia has been poor.
His energy level this week has been amazing. He just spent the last twenty minutes playing with my watch strap and then an ear plug. Now he is giving himself a bath. I am not sure if it's the Doxy he is on or if it's the Denamarin. Maybe a combo of both. He still gets half a Prednisone every second day but they will be done next week. He still gets his Livertone in the morning and I give him a Aagimik (sp) tablet every second day as well.
Never got to see the vet. There was none there Thurs. afternoon. :frustrated: Think it's time to go on the lookout for a new one again.........

ancientgirl
February 6th, 2010, 02:09 PM
How frustrating that you still don't have much in the form of answers. But, I'm glad he's doing better.

Love4himies
February 6th, 2010, 03:25 PM
Awwww, are they positive? Isn't this parasite hard to detect and has a high false negative result?

14+kitties
February 6th, 2010, 04:35 PM
Awwww, are they positive? Isn't this parasite hard to detect and has a high false negative result?

I still haven't talked to the vet L4. I am taking Jupiter in on Tuesday (should be fun :rolleyes:) and will talk to her then about the results. I am just reading what it says on the results from the last tests.

From what I can understand it's the smear that shows a high percentage of false negatives. The PCR test is more definitive. It could be the levels are very low as well but I can't see that. He has been sick too long.

Regardless if he had the parasite or not she was treating him like he did. He is on Doxycycline and Prednisone which is the exact treatment he would be on if it came back positive. The other vet had put him on a very short course of Doxy so it is also possible he did have the parasite and it helped somewhat.

The weird thing is I had started him on the Dememarin on the Tues before he went to the vet. He started the Doxy on Thurs. It was Friday morning when I noticed a change in his attitude for the better. I am just plain confused. I know the vets are too.

Love4himies
February 6th, 2010, 04:39 PM
Yes, I know the old tests were almost useless and vets were better to put the cats on doxy and pred, rather doing the tests.

I do hope it is this parasite and the doxy will do it's job. :pray: :goodvibes:

Tundra_Queen
February 6th, 2010, 08:54 PM
14+ I'm sorry u don't have a answer to Brownie's issues, but I'm glad he is still feeling better. :grouphug:

Sorry the vet is not giving u the attention she should be. I'm sure all these tests are not cheap and she likes getting her money! Therefore she should be ansering your questions. :wall: Give Brownie a pet from me.

Debbie

hazelrunpack
February 6th, 2010, 09:24 PM
I'm glad the doxy seems to be working, even if you don't have any answers, yet. :grouphug:

:fingerscr that the doxy fixes whatever ails the poor dear! :goodvibes:

angeldogs
February 7th, 2010, 08:07 AM
Hopefully it is the meds doing their job and getting rid of what was,is making him sick.

14+kitties
February 7th, 2010, 01:31 PM
Brownie playing with my watch yesterday. Love how bright his eyes are now. :cloud9:
Had to crop the pic severely 'cause hubby was in the background. Not allowed to show his face. :rolleyes:

ancientgirl
February 7th, 2010, 02:04 PM
What a handsome boy he is.

hazelrunpack
February 7th, 2010, 04:30 PM
That's a great shot, 14+!! A very effective crop! :D

Chris21711
February 7th, 2010, 04:45 PM
Brownie is looking great 14k, one would never know by looking at him that he has been ailing.

Bummer you still have no definate answer.

mona_b
February 7th, 2010, 05:33 PM
I know this is very frustrating for you not having the answers, but hang in there mf. It's great to hear he is having some energy.:thumbs up

Look at that face. :lovestruck:

He is soooooo HANDSOME!!!!!!

angeldogs
February 7th, 2010, 08:03 PM
Awww What a sweet face.

growler~GateKeeper
February 8th, 2010, 01:29 AM
Brownie's looking quite perky & alert :thumbs up

Love4himies
February 8th, 2010, 06:49 AM
Brownie is looking great 14+, I really hope doxy is the answer :pray:

Tundra_Queen
February 8th, 2010, 03:19 PM
He is so sweet...look at those little furry white paws!

catlover2
February 9th, 2010, 07:15 AM
Ahhh, what a gorgeous boy! With his clear sparkling eyes and lively expression, you'd never know he had been sick. Hope he continues to feel good. Certainly seems something worked to cure him. :thumbs up

14+kitties
February 9th, 2010, 10:38 AM
Ahhh, what a gorgeous boy! With his clear sparkling eyes and lively expression, you'd never know he had been sick. Hope he continues to feel good. Certainly seems something worked to cure him. :thumbs up

Thanks everyone!
Unfortunately catlover, he is not cured - yet. He has a long way to go. I am talking to the vet today when I take Jupiter in to find out about spleen removal. It has been mentioned before. If it would help him a little to have it out then I will do it. If you could see him "in person" you can feel his bones on his back. He is slowly gaining weight. He eats like a trooper. I bet he is at his bowl (or someone elses) ten times a day. :thumbs up Love that!!
I am planning on asking the vet if she has any other ideas. And also why she didn't phone with results. :frustrated:

hazelrunpack
February 9th, 2010, 12:53 PM
Good luck today! I hope you get some good info from her :goodvibes:

14+kitties
February 9th, 2010, 09:52 PM
Well, nothing new. No spleen removal. That would probably kill him. We have decided to do the course of Doxycycline and then have him back in for a check up. Don't know about blood work yet. We'll see how big the spleen is then. Both vets are completely confused.
Of course if his health changes quickly he will be in asap. He peed on top of their little storage cupboard tonight. :( Never did that before. I can't get upset with him. It is probably part of whatever he is going through. At this point I think it is going to be keep him going as long as we can and he isn't suffering too much and then let him rest. I just don't have the funds or the heart to put him through hell with more tests and maybe not find anything.

hazelrunpack
February 9th, 2010, 09:59 PM
I'm sorry you're not getting better news, 14+ :grouphug: Maybe it'll just turn out to be something that has to run its course. At the very least you've given him more love than he ever expected to find in the company of humans :cloud9: He's a very lucky little boy on a lot of counts :grouphug:

:goodvibes: that the doxy fixes him up :fingerscr

14+kitties
February 9th, 2010, 10:09 PM
Thanks hazel. It's just so darned hard some days! He's only a baby. Should not have to be going through this. :cry:

On the other hand - Jupiter didn't have ear mites. The vet only charged me $20 today and dosed him with Revolution as well. :thumbs up Can't beat that.

hazelrunpack
February 9th, 2010, 10:10 PM
Good for Jupiter! Um...how was he on the way to the vet? And how did you manage to catch him to get him there? :confused: Or has he warmed up to you some since the last time I remember? :o

14+kitties
February 9th, 2010, 10:24 PM
Jupiter has become a changed boy since losing his marbles. He started coming around about a week after I caught him and got him fixed. Now I can pick him up and hug him. It is so cute. He is trying to figure out how to play with me. I will be petting him for a while and he will lumber over on his side (he's a big boy) so I can scratch his belly. He will put up with that for a minute and then he grabs my hand with his paw, brings it to his mouth and bites one finger very very gently. :cloud9: He still has his days when he is a little cranky so I don't bug him.

He cried all the way to the vet. Once he was there he turned into Mr Calm. I had prewarned them telling them I was bringing in a semi feral cat. Yeah right!!! He let the vet check his teeth and swab his ears no problem. The rest of the time he laid on the table snuggled up close to me. She was amazed at his size. He is a very strong 14.3 pounds with no fat. :thumbs up

Love4himies
February 10th, 2010, 07:02 AM
Awwww, so sorry to hear you didn't get better news from the vet about Brownie, but I think there is still hope that the doxy will clear up any bacterial parasites :pray: :goodvibes:

As for Jupiter :cloud9:, sounds like he is much happier neutered :thumbs up :cloud9:

14+kitties
February 10th, 2010, 05:32 PM
Well, Mr. Brownie didn't cooperate today with a sample. I was sent home with Nosorb and am hoping he cooperates tomorrow so I can get his urine checked. The vet very nicely told me he was not ever going to get better. In fact the bloodwork the last test was worse. I told her I knew he would probably not get better but until the time HE tells me he is ready to go he is going to get the best life he can. I am not putting a cat down who is fighting as hard as he is to survive. :shrug:
On a good note - he has gained 4 ounces since the last time he was in in Jan. Every ounce gained is a good thing. We aren't giving up... no way!!

ancientgirl
February 10th, 2010, 06:58 PM
Brownie is a lucky kitty to have you fighting for him. As long as he seems to be feeling well I think you should certainly do all you can to give him the best life possible.:grouphug:

Frenchy
February 10th, 2010, 07:22 PM
You're the best 14+ :grouphug:

sugarcatmom
February 10th, 2010, 07:46 PM
but until the time HE tells me he is ready to go he is going to get the best life he can. I am not putting a cat down who is fighting as hard as he is to survive. :shrug:

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-hug013.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)You're my hero!!! (for many reasons, but I love your spirit and unwavering dedication to ALL of your kitties)

On a good note - he has gained 4 ounces since the last time he was in in Jan. Every ounce gained is a good thing. We aren't giving up... no way!!

No matter what Brownie's health problem is, gaining weight is a great sign and I so agree that it's not time to give up. Hang in there 14+, you're doing a fantastic job. :highfive:

14+kitties
February 10th, 2010, 09:22 PM
Thanks gals. You make me tear up with your good wishes. :grouphug: I wish with all my heart I could find an easy fix for Brownie. Some magic pill that would make him better. He is such a fighter. How could I not do all I can to fight back for him?

hazelrunpack
February 10th, 2010, 09:29 PM
Now wait a minute! She doesn't know what's wrong, but she makes a blanket statement that he's not going to get better? :confused: So she's given up on finding the problem, 14+? :o There's something just not right about that to my way of thinking :shrug:

You hang in there, Brownie! :goodvibes: Keep eating and take your pills like a good kitty and prove all the vets wrong! :cat:

14+kitties
February 10th, 2010, 09:39 PM
Now wait a minute! She doesn't know what's wrong, but she makes a blanket statement that he's not going to get better? :confused: So she's given up on finding the problem, 14+? :o There's something just not right about that to my way of thinking :shrug:

You hang in there, Brownie! :goodvibes: Keep eating and take your pills like a good kitty and prove all the vets wrong! :cat:

I'll pass the message on to him hazel. And thank you. :grouphug:
Thing is she looks at the blood work and that's it. With her he's got auto immune and there's nothing else for it. It was the vet I'm not crazy about today. The other one is not available all the time because she does most of the surgeries in the office. My decision and what I told both vets is that I want to run the course of the Doxy and then redo the blood work. That will be in a few weeks. I am still giving him his other holistic meds. I wish I could find something to boost red blood cells. He isn't eating his liver much any more. I think he's tired of it. I've thought about going and searching in the health food store to see if they have something that may help but I have no idea where to start. :shrug:
Without doing a lot more indepth, very expensive tests there really is no way of pinpointing his issue. I don't want to put him through more of that. I don't feel the stress is good for his already compromised body.

ancientgirl
February 11th, 2010, 07:10 AM
14+, have you maybe thought of a holistic vet? Maybe they can suggest or find something the others can't see.:shrug:

Love4himies
February 11th, 2010, 07:14 AM

I was thinking the EXACT same thing when I was reading 14+'s post :frustrated:

Many autoimmune diseases can be brought under control by steriods, not the best idea for a cat, but may get the disease under control, so I am really, really stumped by the vet's attitude. :confused:

Would going to the U of Guelph be an option for you 14+?

krdahmer
February 11th, 2010, 08:28 AM
I'm so glad you didn't take Dr.B's first advice!:thumbs up And I'm really surprised that even though they can clearly see he's fighting she's still all doom and gloom. :frustrated: Maybe a holistic vet or the vet college could help with better answers.

You both hang in there! :goodvibes::pray: :2huggers:

14+kitties
February 11th, 2010, 02:16 PM
I was thinking the EXACT same thing when I was reading 14+'s post :frustrated:

Many autoimmune diseases can be brought under control by steriods, not the best idea for a cat, but may get the disease under control, so I am really, really stumped by the vet's attitude. :confused:

Would going to the U of Guelph be an option for you 14+?

They wanted to send him to a specialist because they are stumped. Unfortunately when they said 2 - 3 grand ........ I just can't do that. I have already put close to 2 thousand on credit in the last few months taking him in to them and nothing to show for it. I don't care about the money. It will get paid back slowly. I am terrified that more tests will just stress him more and I will lose him.

I'm so glad you didn't take Dr.B's first advice!:thumbs up And I'm really surprised that even though they can clearly see he's fighting she's still all doom and gloom. :frustrated: Maybe a holistic vet or the vet college could help with better answers.

You both hang in there! :goodvibes::pray: :2huggers:

Funny, I was doing a search for holistic vets before I came on today. There are a couple in the area. Just have to do more research. I am also very glad I didn't take her advice.
You know what this vet is like mf.

Winston
February 11th, 2010, 03:29 PM
14+ Do you remember SwaysBodyguard? He used to post about his little girl Sway that had been diagnosed with AIHA and also liver shunts. Well I was thinking back to some of his posts about Sway and she had similiar difficulty with cells reproducing. Anyway got me to thinkning about feline version of it and I found some stuff on the net.

Here is one link I found:

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_imha.html

Hugs MF your Brownies little Angel!

14+kitties
February 11th, 2010, 10:17 PM
Thanks Winston. I'll read that tomorrow after work. The vets don't think it's his liver now though. :wall:

angeldogs
February 11th, 2010, 10:30 PM
It sure would be great if they could figure out what the exact problem is.

Magicwildwolf69
February 11th, 2010, 10:39 PM
Keep going 14+ you are such a great person. sometimes we can't listen to the vets! just know you aren't fighting with brownie alone we're all here rooting for you!

14+kitties
February 25th, 2010, 02:08 PM
Brownie had another visit to the vets today. She wanted to see him before the Doxy was finished. He has another five days on it so I took him in. She removed a small amount of blood and checked for packed cell volume. She said it was down a little from the last time but not near as bad as she thought it would be. :thumbs up His spleen is still very big.
He finished his Prednisone about 8 or 9 days ago. I have noticed his appetite is down a little as well. He also has been sleeping more lately. Still very alert and playful when he is awake.
She put him back on the Pred and sent me home with 100 pills. Once a day for 10 days, then half a pill a day. He will be staying on them. We're still fighting. :cloud9:

ancientgirl
February 25th, 2010, 02:16 PM
14+, I think as long as Brownie has fight in him, he should be given the chance to live. :pray: I pray for his continued improvement.

14+kitties
February 25th, 2010, 02:19 PM
14+, I think as long as Brownie has fight in him, he should be given the chance to live. :pray: I pray for his continued improvement.

Oh don't worry AG. He isn't going anywhere any time soon. :thumbs up

Winston
February 25th, 2010, 05:54 PM
What a fighter! Hugs MF and stay strong! :thumbs up

hazelrunpack
February 25th, 2010, 07:03 PM
It sure doesn't sound like he's giving up, yet! Keep up the good work, Brownie! :highfive:

And good on you for giving him the opportunity to choose his own time, 14+! You're a good mommy! :grouphug:

luckypenny
February 25th, 2010, 08:19 PM
That's great news 14+! Way to go Brownie :goodvibes:.

Tundra_Queen
February 26th, 2010, 05:45 AM
14+ Willie was on 1/2 pill of pred for over 5 years. He is still on it though now once every 5 days and he still is ok.No side effects *touch wood* It did help him to keep his appetite.

Give Brownie a hug from me!

Debbie :grouphug:

14+kitties
February 26th, 2010, 11:21 AM
Thanks for your continued support ladies. It means a lot. He is getting his appetite back quickly. Polished off a can already today. :D Will have to get his liver ready for him soon and see if he will eat more of it.

Frenchy
February 26th, 2010, 11:27 AM
Brownie is sure lucky you're looking after him !! :2huggers:

ancientgirl
February 26th, 2010, 11:32 AM
Gooo Brownie!:D:thumbs up

Dog Dancer
February 26th, 2010, 01:15 PM
14+ I'm glad that Brownie is still fighting the fight. You are so good to be loving him so. I'm with you, we have to do what we can for them so long as they are willing to give it a go.

My girl Shadow is having troubles with her red blood cell count also, although it hasn't been suggested it's auto immune related, just mostly old age. I have been giving her chicken livers for a while now to try to boost her Iron, but the vet warned me that too much liver can cause a problem with Vit A buildup, which I hadn't thought of. I haven't read this entire thread, so I don't know how much liver you're giving Brownie, but thought I'd pass this on to you because I hadn't thought of it myself at all for Shadow.

Also, he told me, which I didn't realize at all, that chicken livers don't really have much nutritional value. He says because they kill the chickens so young the livers haven't built up the Iron and other benefits we'd expect them to have being liver...

You probably know all this stuff already, but just thought I'd mention it after I read you were feeding him liver.

14+kitties
February 26th, 2010, 01:40 PM
Thanks DD. :thumbs up What little bit he eats probably won't hurt him any more than the disease has. Most days he eats a few bites and walks away. About once a week or so he will eat about half of one. I have talked to the vet about the livers and the chicken I cook for him too. She seems to think it's ok for him. Thanks very much for letting me know. I will ask her about that next time. :thumbs up

TeriM
February 26th, 2010, 02:05 PM
Good vibes for Brownie :goodvibes: :fingerscr :goodvibes:. He is very lucky to have such a caring mom :grouphug:.

14+kitties
February 26th, 2010, 06:30 PM
:grouphug: Thanks everyone. He is showing more energy today. Actually looking for toys and chasing Mittens. :thumbs up:cloud9: