Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

The TJTwitter

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

hazelrunpack
January 28th, 2010, 09:56 AM
Welcome to the TJTwitter--the place to come if you need a wild bird fix (and, I might add, the brain-child of Chris21711 :thumbs up).

To start things out, I'll tell ya about the black-capped chickadees yesterday. I've been counting for ProjectFeeder Watch for a number of weeks now and have been seeing anywhere between 6 and 12 chickadees per count. (You use the maximum number you see at one time in your count.) Yesterday, the two winter groups seem to have joined up because hubby and I counted no less than 18 chickadees hanging out in the sumac and on the feeders :cloud9:

I love those little guys :flirt:

Chris21711
January 28th, 2010, 10:16 AM
I love those little guys too Hazel, when they see me coming with the seed pail to fill the feeders it's like their internal radar goes off and a slew of them come flying in....some patiently wait, while others decide that I'm taking too long to get cracking and go into the pail and take their pick......we have oodles. I have never tried to count how many, but will....just to see if I have more than you :laughing:

One thing I have noticed for the longest, always the Cardinals are the first to come in the morning and the last ones in the evening, it never fails, sometimes I can hardly see them there is so little light.

hazelrunpack
January 28th, 2010, 10:22 AM
:( Our cardinals seem to have disappeared this winter. We normally have a pair but they just aren't coming to the feeders this year :shrug: I'm hoping they've found another feeder and will be back for the breeding season--I know lots of people down at the lake put seed out, so they may have gone down there (about half a mile as the crow flies...what an apt expression for this thread :D) to partake of the bonanza. :fingerscr

Chris21711
January 28th, 2010, 10:32 AM
I used to see the Cardinals flying from one tree to the next but hardly coming to my feeders :yell:.....in the last 2 or 3 years I've been successful in attracting them, the most I have counted at any one time has been 8, needless to say I have a big grin on my face :D

Melinda
January 28th, 2010, 10:41 AM
are turkeys considered "wild" birds? we have four that come a few times a day to feed with or without the deer, one tom (mature male), one jake (young male) and two hens (females). my one female has developed a limp and there isn't a thing I can do about it, she worries me and daily I check for her to make sure the wolves/coyotes haven't gotten her, but she is a very strong flier.

Chris21711
January 28th, 2010, 10:57 AM
are turkeys considered "wild" birds? we have four that come a few times a day to feed with or without the deer, one tom (mature male), one jake (young male) and two hens (females). my one female has developed a limp and there isn't a thing I can do about it, she worries me and daily I check for her to make sure the wolves/coyotes haven't gotten her, but she is a very strong flier.

I for one consider them "wild"....for the last few years I noticed Turkeys crossing the road in front of our house, in the early fall I counted 13 crossing together, 1 tom, 2 hens and the rest were young ones, all in a line, very orderly :laughing:...I sure hope nothing happens to the one hen with the limp.

Do you know if it is usual for the young ones to hang around with the matures...if it is, I find it odd that you only have the one young one, I hope that nothing bad happened to the rest :pray:

Melinda
January 28th, 2010, 11:45 AM
I've been told it is usual for the young to hang around the "flock" until the females mature and then she goes off with a tom and make their own flock with a few other mature hens

ownedbycats
January 28th, 2010, 12:26 PM
Our cardinals just showed up for the first time in months, and brought chickadees with them :D The male doesn't mind me taking pictures ( I swear he checks me out and goes, "Oh, it's just that noisy clicky thing again.") The female is more skittish and disappears when she sees me, camera or no camera. I'm glad to see them but I hope they nest somewhere other than our hedge this year. As far as I can tell, not one of last year's babies survived.

hazelrunpack
January 28th, 2010, 01:36 PM
Turkeys are definitely wild birds, Melinda. We have a small flock (3) of toms hanging around this winter and another, larger flock of hens and (apparently) young-of-the-year. The toms put in an appearance more than then the hens--we'll see the hens more as spring approaches. The toms are pretty skittish, but occasionally I can sneak a pic of their retreat :D

The look so Jurassic parkish to me. :laughing:

Melinda
January 28th, 2010, 02:18 PM
cool pics!! yes they are pretty jurassic looking *L* and interesting.

this was this morning, they share with the deer.

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n132/Shelleyb15/IMG_0300.jpg

at times the yearlings (deer) play chase with the turkeys.

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n132/Shelleyb15/IMG_0324.jpg

Chris21711
January 28th, 2010, 02:19 PM
I went out in the crappy weather to fill the feeders :yell:...I had talked myself into doing tomorrow that there was enough feed....I then felt guilty self guilt being the worse kind there is :frustrated: Soooooooooo Hazel I tried to do a Chickie count and the little blighters kept moving on me, but I counted 16, give or take a couple :cool:

ownedbycats why do you not want the Cardinals nesting in your hedge this year?

hazelrunpack
January 28th, 2010, 10:52 PM
Pretty interesting, Melinda! I've never seen any of our turkeys hanging out with the deer... The deer seem to prefer the dogs. :rolleyes: They'll hang around just outside the fence and watch the dogs go crazy. Evidently the dogs are more entertaining than our turkeys, which really are a pretty boring bunch! :laughing:

No other extraordinary bird counts today, Chris! They retired early to their evening roosts, too--I'd love to know where they go and how they keep warm in our subzero temps!

ownedbycats
January 29th, 2010, 08:07 AM
Our hedge is a really thick cedar hedge. The birds all love it because it provides shelter from weather. However, those thick branches also provide a kind of easy access highway for the neighborhood cats. the adults are allright, they fly a couple branches over and play catch-me-if-you-can, staying just out of reach. Babies are helpless though, until they learn to fly. The adults did a pretty good job of defending their babies despite that, one even made it to the point of fledging, but then we saw the adults with no baby:(

Chris21711
January 29th, 2010, 08:41 AM
I deleted my last post because I figured it would take up too much room for us dial-uppers,

I did say Melinda that I would love to see the pics you posted of the deer and turkeys for real :D

ownedbycats I wouldn't have thought that cats could climb a thick hedge :confused:

This morning I can't see out of our south facing windows they are all iced up :yell:....yep we have real old windows :o.....once the sun has been on them for a few hours though, then I can see and it is sunny albeit freezing :frustrated:

Melinda
January 29th, 2010, 08:47 AM
well come on down/up?? to cornwall Chris, *L* every morning at 7-9, then around 1 pm and again for a last glimpse at around 7 pm.

Hazel, the deer will watch brina and if they see she is tied (no fenced yard here) they will just continue eating, but if she jumps at the end of her rope then they get nervous and prance away....but only till they see me bring her in *L*

Chris21711
January 29th, 2010, 09:16 AM
:laughing: Melinda.....my daughter is going to Petawawa in June, is that near Cornwall?

Melinda
January 29th, 2010, 09:28 AM
its about 5-6 hours away Chris, my nephew lives there, army base, but she should see tons of deer around there

Chris21711
January 29th, 2010, 09:35 AM
:confused: I'm lost again, that is more or less how long it takes to get to Montreal from here :confused:

Melinda
January 29th, 2010, 09:41 AM
and Im about 20 from the quebec border and about 3 hours from quebec city *L* I'm terrible with directions. now I have to go check how far to nephews *L*

Melinda
January 29th, 2010, 09:43 AM
I stand corrected, it says (google map) that it takes 3 1/2 hours to get to Petawawa from Cornwall

Cornwall is 4 hours and 50 minutes from where you are...We've been up that way visiting the nephew in Oshawa.....do you ever go to oshawa general games?

Chris21711
January 29th, 2010, 09:50 AM
ok thanks, I'll look later on a hard copy map :D

Chris21711
January 29th, 2010, 09:52 AM
:yuck: no hockey games for me :laughing:...Oshawa is about 1 hour SE of us.

Love4himies
January 29th, 2010, 09:57 AM
Awwww, Melinda, you get a double :cloud9: with the turkeys AND the deer.

We used to have lots of wild turkeys, but every year, there are less and less in the area. I am wondering if it is because of the huge coyote population we have had :(.

Chris21711
January 29th, 2010, 10:07 AM
L4H up until a few years ago they were pretty well non existent around here, the Ministry reintroduced them to these parts....I don't see zillions but certainly more than before. Maybe you could touch base with them and the same sort of programme could be applied in your area.

hazelrunpack
January 29th, 2010, 10:46 AM
We have coyotes and wolves, L4H, and our deer and turkeys are thriving! Snowy winters seem to be harder on them. The farmers around here complain about the turkeys all the time--they don't mind them picking over the corn fields so much, but they object to their white-washed outbuildings! Turns out turkeys are real poopers :eek: :laughing:

hazelrunpack
January 30th, 2010, 02:57 PM
I just heard a downy woodpecker giving its descending multinote rattle call! First time I've heard that call since some time last summer :highfive:

So even though it's still only in the teens F here (-10 C), the woodpeckers are Thinking Spring! :D

Love4himies
January 30th, 2010, 03:33 PM
L4H up until a few years ago they were pretty well non existent around here, the Ministry reintroduced them to these parts....I don't see zillions but certainly more than before. Maybe you could touch base with them and the same sort of programme could be applied in your area.

We used to have so many around a few years ago, then every year there was fewer and fewer. :(

hazelrunpack
January 30th, 2010, 03:51 PM
That's interesting, L4H. Turkeys were long extirpated from WI until the 70s or 80s when they were reintroduced--and they've really taken off! (no pun intended :o) In fact, if anything, they're becoming a nuisance--lots of turkey/windshield hits, for instance, and crop damage in some parts of the state. They also seem to be negatively impacting some of the other woodland birds, like grouse--even here, where the wolves and coyotes prey heavily on them. I wonder if there's some other control factor in your area? Is it being built up heavily? (Although, urbanization did not stop them from moving into Eau Claire--we used to have them near our old neighborhood.) How much snow do you get in winter? They don't seem to do as well in years where we've had heavy snows--are you in the snow belt around the lake?

Winston
January 30th, 2010, 03:52 PM
Love this thread! I am hoping it will teach me about birds in general. Its funny I know alot about peregrine falcons but nothing else really!

So whats a good book to get learning about the birds in my area.?

I have 2 Blue Bruce trees on my front lawn that house many birds. I have cardinals, blue jays, and the beige colored doves. I had a hawk take a bird too last year! but I only saw him once! Then there are these little browny colored ones that I am guessing are chickadees cause there are a million on them! But again no nothing about them????

Oh an I have had woodpeckers that ahve red on them too!

hazelrunpack
January 30th, 2010, 04:13 PM
omd, Winston! I just checked to see where Hamilton was on the map for the first time and I think you're actually farther south than we are! :eek: I never would have thunk it. :o

What you need is a field guide for eastern birds. There are a lot of good ones out there. My favorite is the Golden version: A Guide to Field Identification BIRDS Of North America It seems to be quite tolerant of dog spittle, being left out in the rain, being dropped into poison ivy, etc... (:o I can be a little hard on field guides.) Nice slightly plasticized cover that can be wiped off if necessary. It's also a nice small size--it fits in a pocket of my photo vest.

You can also get guides that show actual photos as opposed to drawings, but I find they can be a bit confusing. A drawing can show all the field marks that aid in identification, but it's much harder to catch them all in a single photo.

As for your birds, the beige doves are probably mourning doves:

Here's a chickadee:
I'm sure you have some of those.

The little brown ones could be house sparrows if they have black bibs, or goldfinches if they have black-and-white wings, or even house finches if some of them have sort of reddish heads...actually, there are a number of birds that might fall into the little brown bird (LBB) category.

hazelrunpack
January 30th, 2010, 04:30 PM
I forgot about the woodpeckers :o

All the eastern male woodpeckers have red on the head. The most common are the downy, the hairy, and the red-bellied (which doesn't have much of a red belly :p). The pileated also has a red crest (that's the Woody Woodpecker type :D) and the red-headed woodpecker (which migrates south for the winter from these parts) has a totally red head.

The hairy and the downy look pretty similar to each other but the hairy is half again as big as the downy. The hairy also has a proportionately longer bill than the downy does. The next two pics show the same suet feeder with two different female woodpeckers, one a downy, the second a hairy.

61812 61813
Look at the bill size--the downy's bill is proportionately shorter. And although the absolute size of the downy's image is bigger, see how the bird is dwarfed by the suet cage? The hairy sort of wraps herself around the bottom of the suet cage. The downy looks like it could crawl into the feeder; the hairy wouldn't fit very easily :D

This last one is a red-bellied:

hazelrunpack
January 30th, 2010, 04:37 PM
Just for good measure...here are some other birds you might be seeing--the nuthatches.

White-breasted nuthatch:

Red-breasted nuthatch:

Okay, I'm done now. :rolleyes: I tend to blather on about birds. :o

(Chris, if those pics are too big, let me know and I'll remove 'em!)

hazelrunpack
January 30th, 2010, 04:38 PM
Gol dang! :eek: And they are big! :o I gotta play with my editor some more... :o

Chris21711
January 30th, 2010, 05:11 PM
Pics are fine Hazel :thumbs up....I'm patient :)

Love Winston's LBB......You didn't put any LBB's up Hazel, I have none :o

Yesterday evening I had 6 male Cardinals and 3 females from what I could see, it was getting dusk already...Question: IF there are more males than females, how do they go about finding mates :confused:....then when they do, if they do, do you think they will stick around or move elsewhere?

Winston
January 30th, 2010, 06:58 PM
Hazel thanks for the pics! I will save them for reference! The woodpecker was 100% the red bellied but I have to say much bigger??

I just went downstairs and checked through my old books! I am crazy that way I dont like to get rid of books..anyway I found this really really old book probably from the 70's...called National Geographic Field Guide to the Birds of North America....actually I googled it and her eis a link to it...covers is almist exactly the same...I forgot I had it! its gor pictures and lots of good stuff!

I will have to try to get some pics but its so hard..the 2 trees are about 50 feet high and very bushy! you can hardley see them but boy you can hear them! especially in the spring...we sometimes have to close the windows...they start early in the am!! :D

http://shop.nationalgeographic.com/ngs/browse/productDetail.jsp?productId=55314C&categoryId=A002&addFacet=9004:A002&navAction=jump

Cindy

ownedbycats
January 30th, 2010, 09:33 PM
Chris, I'll have to post a picture of the hedge to show you (complete with birds:D). It is a 6 foot and counting cedar hedge, meaning each individual plant is a small tree, with closely placed, fairly thick branches. The branches are closely placed enough that if one won't hold a cat's weight they will balance on two or three or four. Next time Seuss decides to go on a climbing expedition I'll get pictures of that, too, showing you how he uses several branches when one isn't big enough..

hazelrunpack
January 30th, 2010, 09:47 PM
No LBBs, Chris, cuz I have no pics. :D At least not of what Winston likely has... Ours pretty much just migrate through. I have some pics somewhere of white-throated sparrows and juncos, maybe even a fox sparrow...if I can find them, I'll post them, too.

As to how they find mates if the gender ratio is skewed, some of them don't...but there can also be a fair amount of infidelity even in monogamous species, so a lot of them will lurk and await their chance to flirt with the ladies when their mates are away forgaging (or flirting with yet other ladies :rolleyes:) There may likely be other individuals that will move into the area as spring arrives, too, so your bachelors may yet be able to find a lady-love of their very own (give or take a few dalliances that happen on the side :laughing:)

Winston, I have that field guide, too! It kept falling out of my photo vest, though, cuz it's a little taller than the Golden one. I'd lean over to look at some plant or other and I'd hear this plop as it fell out and landed in the patch of poison ivy I always seem to be near :laughing: But it's a pretty good guide.

The red-bellied woodpecker is just a few cm longer than the hairy, and it's stouter, so yes, it is bigger.

What kind of birds fill your hedge, ownedbycats?

Jim Hall
January 31st, 2010, 08:17 AM
sparrows all kinds never saw a b/w though cool

hazelrunpack
January 31st, 2010, 10:09 AM
Here a few LBBs for you Chris and Winston.

The first two are yellow-rumped warblers--one in the sun at the top of the spruce and one in a more usual place, hopping around in the pine.

These are both from October, during the migration. Yellow-rumped warblers are among the earliest to arrive and the latest to leave each year. They'll be back in April.
61830 61831

hazelrunpack
January 31st, 2010, 10:23 AM
A pine siskin:
Except for the heavily streaked breast, it's very easy to mistake them for goldfinches--they're about the same size and the pattern on the wing is similar.

Siskins are pretty common, we see a few every year--but last year there was an irruption of pine siskins and common redpolls. We were inundated with both species! Very exciting!

Redpolls (notice the red on the head that helps distinguish them from pine siskins and goldfinches).
We probably won't see another redpoll for 2 or 3 years still the next irruption.

And here are some American goldfinches in winter plumage at the feeders for comparison.

All three of these species are similar in size and often feed together at the feeders.

hazelrunpack
January 31st, 2010, 10:28 AM
And finally, in the category of LBBs, some juncos and white-throated sparrows.

The dark-eyed junco is on the left and the white-throated sparrow on the right.

A dark-eyed junco solo:

A white-throated sparrow close up:

Both of these are about the size of house sparrows.

That's all I can find. I have some somewhere of fox sparrows, but they've gone MIA :o

About the only thing I haven't posted here is the red-tailed hawk from a couple of winters ago and the purple finches. Maybe later...the Pack wants out now. :D

ownedbycats
January 31st, 2010, 12:50 PM
Our hedge mostly has sparrows. That male cardinal keeps visiting briefly, and he brought his mate one day, I got some pics, just have to resize. Oh, and occasionally starlings, but they seem to have temporarily deserted us. And of course, there are the cat "birds" (though now I want pics to show, they have all gone on vacation, :crazy: critters)

hazelrunpack
January 31st, 2010, 02:50 PM
Our cardinal pair has been absent this winter :( I hope they resurface in spring! Did you get cardinal pics, ownedbycats? :fingerscr

Chris21711
January 31st, 2010, 05:02 PM
Nice foray of pics Hazel :thumbs up....We have a few different kinds of sparrows, I will try and get pics :rolleyes:...I'm not too good at identifying the different kinds...I read my books and convince myself that I will remember indentifying marks and then I fergits :o

Hopefully my Cardinal population continues growing and none of the males look for greener pastures.

Looking forward to seeing your pics ownedbycats :)

ownedbycats
February 1st, 2010, 08:56 AM
Here is the cardinal couple. The male is showier, but I love the gentler patterned reds on the female (and she has a crest too!)

ownedbycats
February 1st, 2010, 09:00 AM
And it sounds like Chris and Hazel get lots of these guys, but this was the first time EVER that I have seen one at our place. (and we have lived here for 20 years. ) granted, when I was really little I probably didn't pay much attention to species, but once I got older I aalways used to check and see what was visiting. This is the least fuzzy shot. Those little guys are QUICK! (Excuse typing mistakes, I have cats "helping")

Chris21711
February 1st, 2010, 09:24 AM
Neat pics ownedbycats I too really like the female Cardinals, the males are showier but the creamy colours on the female remind me of Waxwings and I just love it :cloud9:.

Not too many Chickadees in your area....which area of Ontario do you live?...sorry to be nosey :o

hazelrunpack
February 1st, 2010, 10:25 AM
I love that pic of Mama Cardinal sitting on the lawn chair, ownedbycats! :flirt: What a great shot! Papa Cardinal is pretty handsome, too! I really hope ours come back from wherever they've gotten off to :pray:

hazelrunpack
February 4th, 2010, 12:59 PM
I was out throwing some seed under the bushes this morning and this white-breasted nuthatch landed about 12 feet away (less than 4 m) and posed for a pic. :cloud9:

hazelrunpack
February 4th, 2010, 01:01 PM
I just noticed the shadow under your flying chickadee, ownedbycats! That's pretty cool! :D

Chris21711
February 4th, 2010, 02:29 PM
You was throwing seed :eek:....I thought you placed each one gingerly :laughing:....nice clear pic Hazel :thumbs up...I haven't seen my Nuthatch for a couple of days now :(

I must be getting delusional, I thought I saw a female Cowbird at one of the feeders, ya right, come back in 2 months from now :yell:

hazelrunpack
February 4th, 2010, 06:48 PM
I don't usually throw it--only when the goldfinches start lining up in the sumac. :D Today they were massing so I tossed some sunflower and some thistle in under the bushes so more of them could eat. The feeders will only accommodate about 15 of them.

Chris21711
February 5th, 2010, 09:40 AM
This morning when I came back upstairs to make beds etc....I took a lookie out of the window and there were 3 male Cardinals in the cedar hedge, they looked like Xmas ornaments on a Xmas tree :cloud9:

ownedbycats
February 5th, 2010, 11:34 AM
If I'm posting too many pics, tell me, but I really wanted to show you these ones I got of the woodpecker at the dog park yesterday. Sunshine found him for me, scared him close to me, let me take one shot, then scared him away :laughing: We found him again later, and I got one as he was taking off, to get away from the pesky photographer. The nest we found at waist height in a bunch of thin low bushes, and I thought this was the best place to post it. No idea what made it.

Jim Hall
February 5th, 2010, 12:03 PM
ohho so thats what i saw a while back in the park never saw one flying in a pic till now

Chris21711
February 5th, 2010, 01:56 PM
Great pics of the Hairy Woodpecker you got there ownedbycats the nest could have belonged maybe to a Goldfinch, I'm not sure though....maybe Hazel will have a better idea.

I have a collection of nests, my pride and joy being the Hummingbird nest I have. I did post a pic of it a while ago, I'll look for it :)

Chris21711
February 5th, 2010, 02:01 PM
In this thread is the pic of the Hummingbird nest :cloud9:

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=53068

luckypenny
February 5th, 2010, 07:06 PM
Oh I love this thread and all the photos :cloud9:. I wish I could add a few :( but the dogs keep scaring all the birds away when I get close enough to get a shot :frustrated:.

So far I've seen lots of Blue Jays, a couple of Cardinals, and man, can we ever hear the woodpeckers in the woods out back. Why do they peck :shrug: :o?

hazelrunpack
February 5th, 2010, 10:05 PM
In this thread is the pic of the Hummingbird nest :cloud9:

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=53068
How did I ever miss that, Chris? :eek: I musta been unconscious at the time! :o In all my years of looking, I've yet to find a hummingbird nest in the wild... maybe this year! :fingerscr

That's a great catch of the hairy in flight, ownedbycats!!! :cloud9: Nice shot on the tree, too. :thumbs up I'd guess goldfinch for the owner of the nest, too--but it's just a guess. I'm not very good at nest identification. :o

LP, the peck cuz if they didn't, they'd have to be renamed, of course. :o

:laughing:

OK, OK, that was madame hazel being a PITA :p I know they peck to find food--they actually peck grubs out of the wood...they find them by listening for them :eek: And they also peck as part of their courtship ritual--in spring the males look for hollow logs or metal-clad poles to peck on because it makes them sound louder and their stacatto love messages travel farther. :lovestruck: The pileated woodpeckers hammering on the metal guards on the power poles along the utility company right-of-way here in spring can be quite deafening at times. :D

ownedbycats
February 6th, 2010, 04:27 AM
Goldfinch, really? Thanks for the identificataion, now I'll know to watch for them. We switched dog parks in the late fall, so I have only been going to this one over the winter and don't really know all the birds. (I only recognize the most common birds anyway.) I saw another nest, higher up, but it was in tree/bush above my head and the plant had inch long thorns. I'll post a pic if I can find a way to get close without getting shredded.

hazelrunpack
February 6th, 2010, 08:51 AM
It's just a guess for me, ownedbycats. I'm not good at nests. :o But it looks like there's still some down stuck to the nest--goldfinches make a deep-cupped nest and line it with thistle down. This time of the year, the weather has often washed/blown/beaten the down out of them. If it's a goldfinch nest it would be about 3.5 inches across (about 9 cm).

I find nests here all the time, and unless I was lucky enough to see it occupied, I'm just making stabs in the dark when I try to ID them. :o

Oh, except oriole nests. Those are easy to ID once the leaves come off the trees. :thumbs up

luckypenny
February 6th, 2010, 11:16 AM
The pileated woodpeckers hammering on the metal guards on the power poles along the utility company right-of-way here in spring can be quite deafening at times. :D

I won't ever forget the time, not long after moving into our old house. that I that I freaked thinking our gas furnace was going to explode because of this dreadful hammering noise coming from it. Can't remember now who it was that told me to go outside and look at the roof...and I saw a woodpecker going at the furnace chimney :laughing:.

hazelrunpack
February 6th, 2010, 12:57 PM
:eek: I can imagine how it must have sounded down next to the furnace! :laughing:

That definitely would have freaked me out, too! Even though I know it happens, it probably would have taken me a couple weeks to think of the Woodpecker Option. :rolleyes: At least it was a cheap fix for the furnace problem. :D

hazelrunpack
February 7th, 2010, 04:39 PM
February in Wisconsin and this little American goldfinch guy is already thinking about spring! He's starting to get his little black cap back!

Chris21711
February 7th, 2010, 05:06 PM
That little guy and I are thinking the same thing then :D

I never thought to look for their little black caps...silly me.

I took some pics of about 8 Chickies on my fat ball basket, they came out too dark, such a crappy camera I have :(

hazelrunpack
February 7th, 2010, 07:39 PM
Here's a singleton with a seed...not as good as 8 on a suet ball, but he's kinda cute! :lovestruck:

Chris21711
February 8th, 2010, 10:22 AM
Next to your pics Hazel, mine are a poor excuse :o...I did manage to find one pic that is a bit more discernible with 5 pecking away and 2 awaiting :)

bendyfoot
February 8th, 2010, 12:20 PM
Can I play? I saw two white-breasted nuthatch at my feeders yesterday, a first!

My regular visitors:

bazillions of chickadees
juncos
2 blue jays
a cardinal pair
hairy woodpeckers (male and female)
downy woodpeckers (male and female)
tree sparrows
and I THINK I saw finches one day, but haven't for ages. :(

That's about it.

We've got suet, nyjer seed and mixed seed (corn, millet, sunflower etc.), and I make my peanut-butter/seed feeders every now and then.

Chris21711
February 8th, 2010, 02:53 PM
Can I play? I saw two white-breasted nuthatch at my feeders yesterday, a first!

Yes, yes the more the better :crazy:

My regular visitors:

bazillions of chickadees
juncos
2 blue jays
a cardinal pair
hairy woodpeckers (male and female)
downy woodpeckers (male and female)
tree sparrows
and I THINK I saw finches one day, but haven't for ages. :(

That's about it.

We've got suet, nyjer seed and mixed seed (corn, millet, sunflower etc.), and I make my peanut-butter/seed feeders every now and then.

With the niger seed I'm surprised you are not seeing Finches, especially Goldfinches at this time of year, look very closely and see if you see a tinge of yellow.

hazelrunpack
February 8th, 2010, 02:57 PM
I'm surprised, too! The finches go crazy for the niger!

Congrats on the nuthatch, bendy! I love those little guys :lovestruck:

Chris, the chickadees seem to really like your fat ball! Do you make your own suet recipe?

Chris21711
February 8th, 2010, 03:04 PM
No Hazel, I buy them at one of the local grocery stores, they put seeds on the outside to make 'em look good, but inside is just pure lard I guess....I pay $4 for two, they weigh over lb each.....all of the usual birds that like fat eat from it.

hazelrunpack
February 8th, 2010, 03:24 PM
Sounds yummy :yuck: I don't know how birds can eat suet, but they sure do flock to it! I suspect they don't have much of a sense of taste. :o At least they never complain about the calories or ask if their butts look fat! :laughing:

bendyfoot
February 8th, 2010, 04:23 PM
Yeah, I bought the niger seed specifically to try to get the finches, especially after I spotted the few that one time...but, :shrug: haven't seen anybody since.

I saw a red-breasted nuthatch in the woods the other day, too...it was quite bold, just flew from tree to tree around me poking in the bark for tasties. :D

Chris21711
February 9th, 2010, 08:42 AM
Yeah, I bought the niger seed specifically to try to get the finches, especially after I spotted the few that one time...but, :shrug: haven't seen anybody since.

That's odd....look for a hue of yellow.

I saw a red-breasted nuthatch in the woods the other day, too...it was quite bold, just flew from tree to tree around me poking in the bark for tasties. :D

It probably knew that you are a Bug Geek and wanted to get to the tasties before you intervened :D

Chris21711
February 10th, 2010, 09:30 AM
When I came back upstairs this morning, this was the view from the bedroom window....approximately 50 - 60 Wild Turkeys, I for one have never seen such a large gathering..........the pics are crummy as usual....sigh

hazelrunpack
February 10th, 2010, 10:12 AM
Wow! That's a lot of turkeys! :eek: There are almost as many turkeys there as residents in my town! :o :laughing:

Our flocks are being very skittish this year. I saw some larger flocks (but only about a dozen individuals) in fall, but only 3 together at most since :shrug:

Chris21711
February 10th, 2010, 10:30 AM
Wow! That's a lot of turkeys! :eek: There are almost as many turkeys there as residents in my town! :o :laughing:

Our flocks are being very skittish this year. I saw some larger flocks (but only about a dozen individuals) in fall, but only 3 together at most since :shrug:

I've never seen that many, I do see them in fall but never that many. I think the most I have counted is 15 or so......I called the neighbour's wife and she went out and took some pics with her 35mm and zoom lens, I'm looking forward to seeing those pics :thumbs up

hazelrunpack
February 10th, 2010, 10:33 AM
Cool! Maybe she'll let you post a few! :fingerscr

ownedbycats
February 11th, 2010, 09:47 AM
You guys get the neatest birds. Seeing all those turkeys would be a real treat, that is a lot of birds. Is there something left in the fields that is attracting them Chris?

Chris21711
February 11th, 2010, 10:44 AM
I don't know what it would be ownedbycats the field that you can see them in was just left to grow last year, the owner no longer wants to rent his fields out....They crossed the road to the field on the north side of the road which was just used for hay, they didn't spend time in that one though, they skittered across. All in all I had them in my vision for about 20 mins, it was a bonus :thumbs up

Macomom
February 11th, 2010, 10:46 AM
We have some wild turkeys in the farmers fields near our house, and Bos will zoom off to chase them before I can even think about stopping him.
He delights in tree-ing them.

Chris21711
February 11th, 2010, 10:56 AM
Pictures Macomom :D...they have to be better than mine :yell:

hazelrunpack
February 11th, 2010, 11:22 AM
The first time our dogs saw how big turkeys were, they went :eek:

Even the smallest adult turkeys are taller than Grace, but she still valiantly joins the charge to chase the intruders off. :D

ownedbycats
February 11th, 2010, 08:34 PM
Sunshine saw her first Canadian geese last week. Even though they aren't all that much smaller than her, she really wanted to chase them. Thankfully, she was on lead or we would have been fishing her out of the river. On second thought, the chance to jump in water may have been part of the fun in her mind. (Not mine, below zero with floating ice? Ugh)

hazelrunpack
February 11th, 2010, 08:56 PM
That's kinda scary, ownedbycats! Good thing she was on-lead! :eek: River ice can be treacherous. There are always a couple of dogs that drown in the Chippewa River each winter, sucked under the river ice by the current. :( You'd think word would spread and people would stop running their dogs off-leash along the river till the ice breaks up for good, but they don't seem to learn. :shrug:

Chris21711
February 14th, 2010, 05:17 PM
That's scary ownedbycats- one of Shirley's Elkhounds went through the ice on a pond a couple of weeks ago, well two did, one managed to get out and other was lassoed out.

I spoke too soon in Chico's thread about the Hawk...I do have a Hawk staking out my birdies :frustrated:. For the past three days he has been around, yesterday morning he was eating one of the little guys in the north side of the house. There are no feeders there, but it is the path they take from the backyard feeder to the bushes :(.

I'm thinking it was a juvenile Cooper's Hawk, but he was really dark and not too many specks on the chest, so I'm unsure.

hazelrunpack
February 14th, 2010, 06:43 PM
Might be an adult, Chris. The backs are more of a charcoal in adult plumage.

On another note, I have a bunch of pics from Feb to post already. When I get a chance and a good connection, I'll start throwing them in. I hope they don't swamp you! :eek:

hazelrunpack
February 15th, 2010, 11:11 PM
I can't remember if I posted this first one before or not...but it's purty, so I included it.

These three and the three in the next post are all white-breasted nuthatches.

hazelrunpack
February 15th, 2010, 11:20 PM

I know, I know...lots of nuthatch pics... :o But they're so cute! :flirt:

hazelrunpack
February 15th, 2010, 11:26 PM
Movin' on to the black-capped chickadees:

This one landed just above my head in the tree and proceeded to crack his sunflower seed open. :lovestruck:

hazelrunpack
February 15th, 2010, 11:33 PM
We're getting about 70 or so American goldfinches daily to the feeders. And, since I'm out there a lot either filling the feeders or trying to get pics, they're getting pretty used to me being there. That means lots of pics...and I do mean lots! But I'll twist madame hazel's arm and let her post only 6 of the umpteen million she took :rolleyes:

hazelrunpack
February 15th, 2010, 11:39 PM
Three more:

hazelrunpack
February 15th, 2010, 11:50 PM
Some mourning doves:

This one seems to have damaged its bill--but it's doing well, so the point of the bill can't be too critical for feeding...

We've been getting a few more than normal--as winter gets older, the flocks seem to be increasing in number. Certainly can't complain about that! :D

hazelrunpack
February 15th, 2010, 11:56 PM
Three shots of two different male purple finches. These guys are seriously pretty :flirt:

hazelrunpack
February 16th, 2010, 12:01 AM
The downy woodpeckers are getting used to that :crazy: human with the camera. This morning there was one on the suet about 6 feet (2 m) from where I was filling the sunflower seed feeder and it didn't even fly away! :eek: :cloud9: It was too gloomy to take good pics this morning, though. These are from a few days ago (the 13th).

hazelrunpack
February 16th, 2010, 12:07 AM
And finally (yes...there actually is an end to this :p), some bluejays...

...and one of my favorite species, the Brier Bird. :D

(I hope you can download all of these, Chris :fingerscr I got a good connection and had to take advantage of it quickly before it evaporated! :o

If you can't, let me know and I'll send them post by post...or, if I can't download them tomorrow, either, we can bug growler to send them to you :laughing:)

Winston
February 16th, 2010, 05:25 AM
Hazel those pics are awesome!

I just went out and bought one of those suet holder thingy's...and some suet...looks just like yours..now how long before I see some of those LBB's! ?

Its sitting in my lilac tree but its getting more attention from Winston than anything with feathers..:D

ownedbycats
February 16th, 2010, 08:16 AM
Hazel, those are some nice pictures. You get such a variety of birds at your feeder, I almost wish more would hang out in our hedge. (And then Dr. Seuss reminds me why I can't lure the birds into staying. Cats!!)

Chris21711
February 16th, 2010, 08:59 AM
What a way to start the day :D....slow but sure, I got 'em all :thumbs up.....no kidding Hazel, some of your pics are worthy of being in a Bird ID book, far better and clearer for identifying markings than some of the pics I see in said books :).

Might be an adult, Chris. The backs are more of a charcoal in adult plumage.

It was the lack of speckles on the chest that had me doubting, s/he didn't come around yesterday, that I noticed anyway....I hope IT stays away, I like to see them but not on my watch :frustrated:

I just went out and bought one of those suet holder thingy's...and some suet...looks just like yours..now how long before I see some of those LBB's! ?

I hope you are lucky enough to see an LBB on your suet Winston, I find that LBB's are not big fans of it :).

...and one of my favorite species, the Brier Bird. :D

:frustrated: You had me going on this one Hazel until the pic downloaded :laughing:.....I thought wtf is a Brier Bird,

Macomom
February 16th, 2010, 09:03 AM
I think the Brier Bird is very pretty.
Beautiful photos Hazel and good morning to everyone :)

ownedbycats
February 16th, 2010, 09:20 AM
Chris asked once why birds aren't safe in our hedge. Since Hazel posted a pic of her Brier bird, I thought I would post a pic of our cat "bird" roaming th hedge, terrorizing the birds. :D

Chris21711
February 16th, 2010, 09:39 AM
Very cute "Catbird" you have there ownedbycats :laughing:

hazelrunpack
February 16th, 2010, 02:32 PM
Thanks for the nice comments...still don't know why the image size is so big--the file size is pretty small :shrug:

Chris, an adult Cooper's or Sharp-shinned would have some horizontal reddish or brown speckling on the breast... Does your hawk have a white breast?

Chris asked once why birds aren't safe in our hedge. Since Hazel posted a pic of her Brier bird, I thought I would post a pic of our cat "bird" roaming th hedge, terrorizing the birds. :D

Love the catbird, owndedbycats! :laughing:

Its sitting in my lilac tree but its getting more attention from Winston than anything with feathers..:D

You should be seeing things like goldfinches, chickadees and woodpeckers pretty quickly--within a few days they should find it. If Winston leaves them any, anyway! :laughing: Our dogs used to lust after the suet, too, but eventually became reconciled to the fact that they weren't ever going to get any... :dog:

Chris21711
February 16th, 2010, 03:11 PM
Chris, an adult Cooper's or Sharp-shinned would have some horizontal reddish or brown speckling on the breast... Does your hawk have a white breast?[/I][/COLOR]

I know Hazel that is why I can't make a positive ID.....the breast appeared to have no speckling, it said in one of my books that Juvie Cooper's could lack the speckling, but the rest seemed to match :confused:

You should be seeing things like goldfinches, chickadees and woodpeckers pretty quickly--within a few days they should find it.

I was thinking the same thing when I was out, you beat me to it....I'm like Reb s-l-o-w :laughing:

Winston
February 16th, 2010, 03:45 PM
No takers yet?? its in a very young lilac tree so maybe I should move it...

I have 2 60ft high Blue Spruce Trees out front with tons of birdies but I figured the resident squirerls may get to it??

:shrug:

bendyfoot
February 16th, 2010, 04:08 PM
The woodpeckers didn't find my suet for almost 5 days-a week...and the nuthatches only just found it, it's been probably a month...now they're here all day. :D

bendyfoot
February 16th, 2010, 04:10 PM
Lovely photos, Hazel!!!

I STILL have no finches, I don't get it??? :confused:

hazelrunpack
February 16th, 2010, 10:44 PM
I've been hearing from others that finches are a bit scarce in some places this year, bendy. :shrug: We seem to be about on track--up to more than 70 now from less than 30 earlier in winter. We'll probably see the numbers increase till sometime in early March when they split up into pairs.

Winston, if you have a post or a shepherd's hook to hang it from you might have better luck. I've always had more traffic at suet hanging in a more open spot.

Chris, if you can get more pics of your hawk, you know we won't mind too much if you post them :laughing: And maybe we can confirm what species you're seeing :fingerscr

Chris21711
February 17th, 2010, 08:54 AM
Chris, if you can get more pics of your hawk, you know we won't mind too much if you post them :laughing: And maybe we can confirm what species you're seeing :fingerscr

More pics you say :laughing:...first I have to get one. I haven't seen her/him for a couple of days for which I'm glad, but I would like to pinpoint which species it is.....I don't understand why I don't get any Purple Finches :confused::(.

I saw four of the Wild Turkey bunch this morning in the field across the street....I need a decent camera, once I had located where Pepe had left my binnies (on top of the pinball machine :rolleyes:), I took a lookie and boy those birds are big, alas Turkey season will be starting soon :(

Winston, Hazel is right (again :laughing:) if you can put the suet in a more open area, they will come. Trying to outfox Squiggies, good luck :D

luckypenny
February 19th, 2010, 02:18 PM
I was out with the dogs this morning, took a look up, and was 4 feet away from a Woodpecker on the suet feeder....and I didn't have my camera :yell:.

Went inside to get it but by the time I got back it was gone :(. I spent a few minutes looking up through the trees to see if I could spot him and found this:

Could that be the job of a Woodpecker?

hazelrunpack
February 19th, 2010, 02:44 PM
Oh, yes...typical woodpecker hole :thumbs up How big was the bird? Was it a pileated woodpecker? Looks like a pretty big hole...

bendyfoot
February 22nd, 2010, 03:31 PM
Look who visited today!!! I think this is an incredible shot (sorry, not bragging, just very pleased!) you can even see his lunch!!!!

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu330/phd4me/Feb%202010/pileatedwoodpeckerwithlunch.jpg

hazelrunpack
February 22nd, 2010, 03:37 PM
Great shot of the pileated, bendy! :highfive: Took a while to download, though. I hope Chris can get it because she'll go ga-ga over it! :goodvibes:

How did you get close enough to get the shot? Ours are extemely shy. If I'm lucky, I'll be able to get some shots this spring as they're banging out their sexy rhythms on the power poles :D

bendyfoot
February 22nd, 2010, 04:01 PM
It was incredible, he wasn't shy at all...he was about 20ft or so up in the tree, and I was standing about 20 feet from the tree....but he wasn't skittish...I got even closer later. I have some other goodies too on my blog, including one where he's sticking his tongue out into the cavity:

www.falltoclimb.wordpress.com

Chris21711
February 23rd, 2010, 09:43 AM
Very Cool Bendy :thumbs up....I have only ever seen them twice and fleetingly :yell:

I was also looking at your blog, I do from time to time, but on dial-up it really is a test of patience, especially when I leave to let it download and come back to a bunch of red x's and have to start all over again :frustrated:

ownedbycats
February 23rd, 2010, 09:56 AM
Bendy, You have every right to be pleased, that is an amazing shot. Is he a frequent visitor, or was this a one time only event?

bendyfoot
February 23rd, 2010, 10:30 AM
I haven't seen a pileated in ages. I know they're around, I see their feeding holes on trees all the time, but never the bird...it was a lucky encounter for sure!

luckypenny
February 23rd, 2010, 04:30 PM
All these photos are so neat :goodvibes:.

Oh, yes...typical woodpecker hole :thumbs up How big was the bird? Was it a pileated woodpecker? Looks like a pretty big hole...

Looking at your pics, I'd say the ones I see here are the downy woodpeckers. That particular tree has about 6 holes in it. I'd say about 1/4 of the trees I can see from the fence line have holes in them :shrug:.

I managed to get some shots today...Yayyyyyy! Not nearly as nice as the ones posted but I was excited nevertheless. I would have gotten more but Lucky and Penny insisted on chasing the woodpeckers away :frustrated:. I managed to count 9 woodpeckers in all before they started to flit around and I'd lose count.

The first in this set, the woodpecker had some red on his head (I really know nothing about birds :o). Excuse some of the blurriness, there were too many little branches in the way of getting really clear shots.

luckypenny
February 23rd, 2010, 04:33 PM
In the second pic, that's the feeder dh made :angel: that I filled with home made suet. It's hanging off our clothes line. Easier to take pics of birds there because it's out in the open...but it's easier for the dogs to scare them away too :rolleyes:.

hazelrunpack
February 23rd, 2010, 07:16 PM
Very nice pics, LP! :highfive:

In the first set, the first two pics are definitely of one or more hairy woodpeckers. The third looks more like a downy, but it might just be the angle of the shot. You can tell the two apart by looking at the length of the bill in relation to the head. There are side-by-side pics of a downy vs a hairy on page 2 of this thread right at the top (post 31). Look at the length of the bill--see how the downy's is stubby? If you turned it around and poked it into its head (:eek: :laughing:), it wouldn't extend far into the head at all. The hairy woodpecker to the right has a proportionately longer beak--turn that one into the head and it would do serious brain damage. :o (Although those pics make it look like a downy is bigger than a hairy, don't be fooled--it's just a fluke of the pics. A hairy is half-again as large as a downy, but they're so similar otherwise that unless you have something to compare them to, impression of size isn't a very good field mark.)

Anyway, your first, second and fourth shots are all definitely hairy woodpeckers. #3 could be either...I can't tell if the bill is actually that short or if the angle of the shot just makes it look that way. And it can be difficult to tell them from the back as shown in #5 unless you see them both there and know how big each is in comparison to the feeder. However, I can tell you that it's definitely a female in that last shot (females lack the red on the head) and from the posture, I'd guess it's a hairy.

9 woodpeckers in your woods? Cool! Ours are getting all feisty and chasing each other around the trees. Watch for pairs getting territorial--I've seen two pairs match up, male to male and fem to fem, dancing around the branches and trunks and making weird little throaty noises. I have no idea how they choose a winner, or what happens if the male of one couple wins his battle and the opposite fem wins hers...but they always seem to work it out to everyone's satisfaction in the end. :D

Chris21711
February 24th, 2010, 09:56 AM
I just love this thread, I'm so glad it got started :).....good pics LP :thumbs up

I so need a decent camera :yell:

hazelrunpack
February 25th, 2010, 08:00 PM
I was doing so well in January, limiting madame hazel to a reasonable number of pics for printing... Now in February, with the birds getting tamer and the weather warmer, madame hazel is showing signs of needing that intervention again :o

Anyway, here's some more birds from this month...same ol', same ol'...but they're just so darn cute!!!!!!

Black-capped chickadees:

A novel angle on this one :laughing::

Just darn cute:

hazelrunpack
February 25th, 2010, 08:07 PM
A few more chickadees. I just love these little guys! :flirt:

hazelrunpack
February 25th, 2010, 08:19 PM
White-breasted nuthatch:

hazelrunpack
February 25th, 2010, 08:27 PM
Mama Downy Woodpecker:

hazelrunpack
February 25th, 2010, 08:35 PM
Papa Downy Woodpecker:

luckypenny
February 25th, 2010, 08:43 PM
Wow! WOW :eek:!

What amazingly beautiful shots :lovestruck:.

hazelrunpack
February 25th, 2010, 08:44 PM
Mourning dove in the hemlock:

Blue jays :lovestruck::

hazelrunpack
February 25th, 2010, 08:52 PM
Red-breasted nuthatch:

hazelrunpack
February 25th, 2010, 09:00 PM
And finally :o, a couple of posts of American goldfinches...

hazelrunpack
February 25th, 2010, 09:09 PM

...and a shot of my helper for the day! :D

hazelrunpack
February 25th, 2010, 09:13 PM
Thanks, LP. It helps when the birds cooperate. Except for the dove, the two bluejays and my helper :D, I was within about 25 feet (um....less than 8 meters, I think) for all the others. If I stand reasonably quietly, they come down to the feeders even if I'm pretty close. We're buddies, donchyaknow... :lovestruck:

luckypenny
February 25th, 2010, 09:19 PM
Does Ember stay reasonably quiet too when he sees the birds :D?

hazelrunpack
February 25th, 2010, 09:22 PM
Does Ember stay reasonably quiet too when he sees the birds :D?
Nope. :D At least not if there are doves involved. Doves are just too irresistible! But he sure does have fun!!! :cloud9:

Chris21711
February 26th, 2010, 08:46 AM
Such clarity in the pictures Hazel, they are so very good :thumbs up....Your Goldfinches have more advanced goldening then mine, does that mean you will get Spring before we do :frustrated:

Winston
February 26th, 2010, 09:55 AM
OMG I love the pics! You must have a really good camera!

Hey guys I am wondering still no takers on the suet?? does it go bad?

Chris21711
February 26th, 2010, 10:11 AM
Still no takers Winston, that's weird :confused: - it won't go bad in this weather no fears. Have you seen many birds around?

Winston
February 26th, 2010, 10:20 AM
You know its funny you should ask that! I have hardly seen any birds this year?? Even this past week up in Montreal I took my binoculars along in case I saw some birds but not even 1?? I did see for the first time in my life a pack of deer? OMG they ran across the road and there had to be about 15 of them all together?? I have only seen 1 or 2 deer at a time but never that many! Good thing no one hit them!

Chris21711
February 26th, 2010, 11:16 AM
So did you at least take a pic of the deer?.....to tell you the truth, if I was a bird, I wouldn't live in Hamilton :laughing:

hazelrunpack
February 26th, 2010, 12:16 PM
Suet can go bad, Winston, but usually it needs to be above freezing... Is Hamilton warm? If you see mold growing on it, I'd pitch the suet and either start fresh or try again next winter.

Too bad you're not seeing any birds! :( Do you have a seed feeder out?

Winston
February 26th, 2010, 12:38 PM
Well its at the back of the house..its a teeney tree...normally i see tons of birds here but this yr hardly any...

I am gonna hang a new one up front in the Big trees..probably have better luck....maybe its because the weather for us has been so strange this year?

Love this thread! :thumbs up

hazelrunpack
February 26th, 2010, 12:52 PM
Could certainly by the weather but I can't believe you've been totally snubbed! :eek: Not even any house sparrows?!?

We're seeing signs of spring here. The size of the flocks continue to increase, and the purple finches (although seemingly shy of the camera) have been unabashedly singing their spring music. :cloud9: I actually found some grassy spots under the pines today (heard a bunch of doves go up and went to investigate :D), although most of the rest of the ground is covered in a foot of snow.

This morning there were over 80 goldfinches under the feeders and chasing each other around the treetops, a smattering of purple finches (which have been pretty scarce this winter), woodpeckers and nuthatches bobbing along the tree trunks, and blue jays and doves skulking in the bushes. Of course, my counting days for the Cornell program are Wed and Thurs so I couldn't add them to my tallies :rolleyes: How do they always know? :frustrated:

I hope the birds find your feeders soon, Winston! :goodvibes: 'Course...you could always take Winston on another road trip and come on over to see ours. :fingerscr If you time it for mid-May, the warblers will be coming through! :cloud9: My favorite part of the birding season!

Winston
February 26th, 2010, 01:19 PM
I rescued a warbler before and didnt really know what it was at the time..it flew into the buuilding I workk in so I called the SPCA thinking someone lost their cute little bird..it was lime green in color..the lady said to bring it up so I did..They laughed at me when they opened the box..the lady says thats a wild bird?? :eek: you have warbler in there! okay...then she said okay dont worry we will keep it here for observation and then release it in the morning! They were laughing at me but I had a smile on my face thinking he was gonna be okay,,,

hazelrunpack
February 26th, 2010, 07:13 PM
Oh, that's cool, Winston! I love warblers!!! :flirt: They're my favorite group!!! I'm hoping to get some warbler pics this summer...but it'll be hard--they're skittish, like to stick to the tops of the trees, they're small, and those cute little buggers are fast!!! :o

Chris21711
February 27th, 2010, 06:34 PM
Suet can go bad, Winston, but usually it needs to be above freezing... Is Hamilton warm? If you see mold growing on it, I'd pitch the suet and either start fresh or try again next winter.

Maybe it is the ingredients in the prepared suet cakes that allows them to get moldy Hazel, I have never seen mold on the fat balls I buy. I would think as long as the weather does not warm too quickly they should be ok, akin to being refrigerated.

I don't think I have ever seen a Warbler :(

hazelrunpack
February 27th, 2010, 08:06 PM
I'll try to get some warbler pics this summer, but unless they come down out of the treetops (which they usually don't :frustrated:) the pics won't be quite as closeup as the ones I get of my feeder buddies. :o Speaking of which, that ol' bat, madame hazel, was out there in the bushes with the camera again this morning :rolleyes:. Now I have another 400 images to print on Monday when I go into town! :yell: I wouldn't mind so much but it takes forever to go through everything when madame hazel is on a roll! :wall:

:o

hazelrunpack
February 27th, 2010, 10:30 PM
Okay, I have today's ready to go, but I'm not going to post them here till we get to the next page. :o If I do, I won't be able to reload this page. :rolleyes: One of the many mysteries of Dial-up... It's an arcane science! :laughing:

luckypenny
February 28th, 2010, 07:11 PM
I was finally awake enough to remember to take my camera outside with me early this morning. Of course this guy? girl? chose the tallest tree to perch on :rolleyes:. That is a Cardinal right? :laughing: He/she sounded so pretty :cloud9:.

hazelrunpack
February 28th, 2010, 07:39 PM
Yep, a male cardinal, and a very handsome one at that, LP! :flirt: We used to have cardinals here but for some reason they've been absent this autumn and winter :shrug:

I really hope they resurface this spring because I love cardinals :fingerscr

luckypenny
February 28th, 2010, 07:49 PM
I see lots of Cardinals here, just never have my camera handy :rolleyes:. And they tend to be more shy than the other kinds of birds. I swear he was telling our dogs off this morning as they were playing too close to the feeder :D.

What do Cardinals like to eat best? Do you know if they prefer to eat in an open space or amongst trees for cover?

hazelrunpack
February 28th, 2010, 07:57 PM
They like to have cover nearby in case a hawk comes by. They love platform feeders, but they used to come to our mesh feeders, as well. We've had good luck with black oil sunflower seed--all the birds seem to like it. The in-laws claim their cardinals in town go crazy for safflower, but we've never had much luck with it.

luckypenny
February 28th, 2010, 08:05 PM
They love platform feeders

Those are the flat ones with the mesh/screen bottoms?

And black oil sunflower seed...do they sell them for human consumption or do I have to go to a pet store?

Oh, and there's a new page started...get posting pictures Hazel :D.

hazelrunpack
February 28th, 2010, 08:08 PM
Yep, flat and usually some sort of mesh bottom so the seed doesn't stay wet if it rains...but it does anyway. :o

If there's a feed mill nearby, check there, first. We've gotten some great deals on BOSS at the local feed mills. We've also gotten it at the place we buy our dog food, Pet Food Plus. But we get the huge 50 lb bags...

Pictures, eh? :D I just happen to have a few ready :o Imagine that! :laughing:

hazelrunpack
February 28th, 2010, 08:33 PM
Starting out with American goldfinches...

hazelrunpack
February 28th, 2010, 08:41 PM
And a few more...

I think the hues of late winter oaks and goldfinches are lovely together :D

hazelrunpack
February 28th, 2010, 08:51 PM
My little buddies, the black-capped chickadees...

hazelrunpack
February 28th, 2010, 08:57 PM
Chickadees never fail to cheer me up :cloud9:

hazelrunpack
February 28th, 2010, 09:09 PM
The male downy seemed a little shy at first...

but then started mugging for the camera and showing off his lovely feathers. He had a lovely cap:

And a handsome checked jacket:

hazelrunpack
February 28th, 2010, 09:16 PM
And a strikingly barred tail:

Once the fashion show was over, he took off...

...under the watchful eyes of the neighborhood uniformed security patrol.
(Okay, so it's really a mourning dove... :p)

hazelrunpack
February 28th, 2010, 09:29 PM
Disturbing a white-breasted nuthatch while it was at lunch, the camera earns a displeased stare.

After the suet course, comes the seed course:

And finally, heading off into the sumac:

hazelrunpack
February 28th, 2010, 09:42 PM
Daddy purple finch wasn't brave enough to come to the feeder while I was standing there...
...but he did put on a bit of a fashion show of his own.

From the top you can see his purple back...

...and from the side you can see the rest of his flashy purple suit. :flirt:

hazelrunpack
February 28th, 2010, 09:47 PM
A couple more shots of Mr Stunning Purple Finch...

And, finally, a shot of my helper for that day, Ms Muddy Mossy Messy Macie, who was having a disappointingly clean fur day. She's really looking forward to mud season. :D

Chris21711
March 1st, 2010, 09:23 AM
Stunning Hazel. What a way to start March :thumbs up....I still don't understand why I don't get Purple Finches, according to my books I SHOULD :frustrated:

Your Goldfinches, as I mentioned earlier in another post are definately more goldened up than mine :confused:

LP - I buy mixed seed, Cardinals tuck into it no problem, it does have a lot of sunflower seeds in. The Cardinals I get use all kinds of feeders here, platform, tube and ground.....In WI that get spoiled by Hazel :laughing:

Hazel - I was checking my books looking at Warbler's and didn't come up with any that were a brighter green in colouring :shrug:....help me :o

hazelrunpack
March 1st, 2010, 09:12 PM
Stunning Hazel. What a way to start March :thumbs up....I still don't understand why I don't get Purple Finches, according to my books I SHOULD :frustrated:

They're mostly in areas with lots of trees. Once the subdivisions went in at Eau Claire, the purple finches disappeared from our yard there. We have so much forest out here that the purple finches have lots of habitat. Is it wooded around you? Or open farm/residential area?

Your Goldfinches, as I mentioned earlier in another post are definately more goldened up than mine :confused:

The fems are still pretty dull, but the males are starting to get some yellow and black on them now! There was a male singing an aria up in the aspen trees yesterday when I filled the feeders--it was absolutely breathtaking! I just stood there drinking it in for a while. :cloud9:

LP - I buy mixed seed, Cardinals tuck into it no problem, it does have a lot of sunflower seeds in. The Cardinals I get use all kinds of feeders here, platform, tube and ground.....In WI that get spoiled by Hazel :laughing:

Hazel - I was checking my books looking at Warbler's and didn't come up with any that were a brighter green in colouring :shrug:....help me :o

Maybe a pine warbler? I don't know exactly where you're located, but pine warblers always look very green-backed to me... Many of the immature and fall warblers are greenish, though. :shrug: Did you see one?

luckypenny
March 1st, 2010, 09:29 PM
Hazel, how far away form the birds are you when taking those photos? Holy smokes, what amazing shots! There's another book project for you, "Birds of Hazel Run, Wisconsin." Seriously.

hazelrunpack
March 1st, 2010, 09:44 PM
Anywhere from 15 to 35 feet (about...umm...4.5 m to about 10 m). If is stand very still, they just come back to the feeders :shrug: The neighbors, if we had any, would think I'm crazy, though--I spend a lot of time standing in the bushes with the camera :laughing:

luckypenny
March 1st, 2010, 09:48 PM
Feet are good...I'm not used to meters :o.

Good thing you don't have any neighbors then :laughing:.

My arms get sore just trying to focus the camera on the birds :rolleyes:.

hazelrunpack
March 1st, 2010, 10:05 PM
I have to admit, when the long lens is on the camera, the contraption is a bit heavy :o I have a tripod that's too cumbersome to use out there in the bushes, but if I'm expecting to be out there long, I also have an adjustable monopod that works great! :thumbs up

Chris21711
March 2nd, 2010, 09:36 AM
Maybe a pine warbler? I don't know exactly where you're located, but pine warblers always look very green-backed to me... Many of the immature and fall warblers are greenish, though. :shrug: Did you see one?

RE: the purple finches Hazel, maybe there is not enough trees around, we have them all along the fence line with the neighbour to the south, quite heavy but apart from that it is pretty much field, the bush is probably about 500ft away :yell:

RE: Warblers, no I haven't seen any :(

Feet is good Hazel, metres is ok but feet so much easier :thumbs up.....I am 5' 4".... in metres, no idea :laughing:

hazelrunpack
March 2nd, 2010, 02:19 PM
I thought Canada used metric? :confused: Or is that just for temps?

But good...I'm not very conversant in meters! LOL Feet and yards I understand pretty well, though. :thumbs up

Chris21711
March 2nd, 2010, 02:26 PM
I thought Canada used metric? :confused: Or is that just for temps?

But good...I'm not very conversant in meters! LOL Feet and yards I understand pretty well, though. :thumbs up

They do use metric supposedly :rolleyes:...but if you go to the store, it is listed as both...they still talk linear feet in wood and call a 2 x 4 as such even though it isn't 2 x 4 :laughing:

I would say overall, the older generation use imperial measurement as the norm.....I guess that means me :laughing:

hazelrunpack
March 2nd, 2010, 02:32 PM
Me, too. :o Although here it's mostly music that distinguishes us oldtimes from the youngsters. :D

Chris21711
March 2nd, 2010, 02:37 PM
Me, too. :o Although here it's mostly music that distinguishes us oldtimes from the youngsters. :D

I'm not really familiar with the music oldtimers listen too :laughing:

Chris21711
March 2nd, 2010, 02:38 PM
Oh btw Hazel, you haven't posted any March birds yet :rolleyes:....I'm insatiable :D

hazelrunpack
March 2nd, 2010, 02:41 PM
Haven't been out to photograph any. I'm still wading through the 400 prints I had done yesterday from February.

CarolynInPEI
March 2nd, 2010, 04:47 PM
I saw the pics of all the birds and couldn't resist.....I love chickadees!!!

Chris21711
March 3rd, 2010, 10:24 AM
Cute pic Carolyn, I'm a big fan of Chickies too, I've never been lucky enough to have one eat out of my hand though.

luckypenny
March 3rd, 2010, 11:31 AM
What a neat photo, Carolyn :cloud9:.

luckypenny
March 3rd, 2010, 04:29 PM
Had I have known my chances were much higher at Costco than my yard to coming within a few feet of a bird, I would have brought my camera today :rolleyes:.

Sweet little thing :cloud9: hanging out in the frozen food section :shrug:. I'm hoping he made his way to the bags of bird food :goodvibes: :D.

Winston
March 3rd, 2010, 04:55 PM
LP if you check out most of the big grocery stores they almost all have pet birds! they get in and they are reall hard to get out so they usually just leave them...:thumbs up

hazelrunpack
March 4th, 2010, 09:42 PM
Menards' always has a house sparrow or two hanging out back by the bird feeder aisle. I always worry about them, but one of the clerks told me they usually find their way back out eventually. Don't know if he was just trying to make me feel better or not :o

That's a great shot, Carolyn! I just love chickadees! :flirt:

Chris21711
March 5th, 2010, 09:55 AM
Menards' always has a house sparrow or two hanging out back by the bird feeder aisle. I always worry about them, but one of the clerks told me they usually find their way back out eventually. Don't know if he was just trying to make me feel better or not :o

:

One of our local supermarkets often has a bird or two Hazel, they open up two large doors that are emergency exits, block them off from the public and usually the birds find their way out :thumbs up

I'm so hoping to hear a Redwing Blackbird this weekend, normally I hear one before I see them.....then the world is good :D

hazelrunpack
March 10th, 2010, 11:35 PM
Have you heard one yet, Chris? We're supposed to have our robins, red-winged blackbirds and bluebirds back, too, but I haven't seen a one :(

Counted 83 goldfinches under the feeders this morning, though. The rain is bringing the birds back to the Hazel Run Restaurants. :D

Chris21711
March 11th, 2010, 09:30 AM
No Hazel :(...I'm so hoping by the weekend though...My Robins generally come after the Redwings and Cowbirds....Bluebirds :cloud9::cloud9:, I had one some years ago checking out a birdhouse, but it was already occupied by Tree Swallows as it is every year. My Wrens were back again last year, so I'm hoping for that......We have so many birdhouses that Pepe has made, I'm going to get him to place a few at the back of the yard and see if there are any takers.

This morning did bring the first Chippie to the feeders....I like Chippies :D. Oh, last night there was an Oppusum eating the bird seed.....Iggy was barking up a storm last night around 10pm, he never barks for nothing....Ethel looked through the window and saw Oppie, she went out and took some pics with her work camera and said she will email them to me once she gets to the office. When she does I'll post them.

hazelrunpack
March 11th, 2010, 09:38 AM
Cool!! I think opossums are real cute till they show their teeth :eek: I think they have the most teeth of any north american mammal!!!

If you're getting swallows and wrens and the bluebirds were checking out your yard, I'll bet the new one gets used, too! :thumbs up Maybe even put out two! :D

This weekend I'm going into town. I think I'm going to take the camera cuz I'm pretty sure there will be bluebirds and maybe even robins or red-wings along CF :goodvibes:

Chris21711
March 11th, 2010, 09:52 AM
Cool!! I think opossums are real cute till they show their teeth :eek: I think they have the most teeth of any north american mammal!!!

This is the first time I've seen one up close....s/he hissed :cool:

If you're getting swallows and wrens and the bluebirds were checking out your yard, I'll bet the new one gets used, too! :thumbs up Maybe even put out two! :D

I'll get him to put up a few then they can have their pick of colours....right now he has about 20 of them made plus a multi-plex, that one can be for sale though :)

This weekend I'm going into town. I think I'm going to take the camera cuz I'm pretty sure there will be bluebirds and maybe even robins or red-wings along CF :goodvibes:

You know I will appreciate any/all of them :highfive:

hazelrunpack
March 11th, 2010, 09:54 AM
I'll try! :thumbs up

Unfortunately it's supposed to rain. :( If it rains, I'll have to take the pics from inside the car because the new camera isn't 'water friendly'... :frustrated:

luckypenny
March 11th, 2010, 10:05 PM
I saw my first Pileated Woodpecker this morning :goodvibes:. I'm grateful for this thread...otherwise I probably wouldn't have been paying as much attention to the kinds of birds I see :o.

So this would be a female? She wasn't shy at all. I went back to the garage, dragged out a ladder to lean up against the fence so I could get a better view of her.

I'm going to have to start saving up for a new camera though...my zoom sucks :o.

hazelrunpack
March 11th, 2010, 10:16 PM
Cool pics, LP! Whether your zoom sucks or not, those are :cool:!! It does look like it could be the female--no red cheek patch and the red on the crest looks a little less extensive than in a male. :thumbs up

I would love to know how everyone is getting close enough to take pics of pileateds!!! I've been trying to sneak up on ours for weeks and they've been avoiding me like the plague... :o

Chris21711
March 12th, 2010, 08:42 AM
Great going LP :thumbs up.....I'm guessing they obviously feel safe and secure to let you bring in a ladder for a closer look. They must find you a charmer :D

Chris21711
March 13th, 2010, 05:13 PM
I saw my first Redwing Blackbirds this morning, 2 of them :D, they were eating on the ground around the feeders.....Naturally Pepe said that they weren't Redwings, he couldn't see a red bar on their wings...said "they're Starlings" :rolleyes: He still wasn't convinced when I pointed out that they had black beaks and a yellow bar on the wings. To solve the problem, they took flight and he could then see their red bar :

luckypenny
March 13th, 2010, 05:43 PM
I saw my first [COLOR="Red"]Redwing Blackbirds [COLOR="Black"]this morning...

Just googled them and found an audio of a male's call on wikipedia...neat :goodvibes:. It's on the right hand side just below the map.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red-winged_Blackbird

Chris21711
March 13th, 2010, 06:17 PM
If you call back to them LP, generally they will return your call :D

I tried the link LP, not working for me...........sigh

hazelrunpack
March 13th, 2010, 09:45 PM
I went into town today, hoping to see robins, bluebirds, red-winged blackbirds...even grackles. Nada!! :yell:

However, I did see two northern harriers (they were in silhouette, but by the size, I'd say females), two female kestrels, on red-tailed hawk of unknown gender, and 8 bald eagles, all adult except for one 2nd-year bird :thumbs up The Canada geese are back, too--still in flocks, but definitely moving in pairs. :D

Spring, she is a'comin'! :highfive:

Chris21711
March 14th, 2010, 04:57 PM
That's a pretty nice tally for one day Hazel :thumbs up, such handsome birds too.....The Redwings haven't been by today as far as I have seen. This coming week is suppose to be a dandy weatherwise so I'm expecting to see more, probably Cowbirds too.

I think I've said before that I have never seen Bald Eagles, it must be a splendid sight to behold :cloud9:

hazelrunpack
March 14th, 2010, 05:24 PM
I have some pics...not good ones, but pics... :o I'm working on something else right now, but when I do the Olympics pics for you, I'll try to resize a couple soaring eagle pics and post them here. :D

Chris21711
March 14th, 2010, 05:43 PM
I have some pics...not good ones, but pics... :o I'm working on something else right now, but when I do the Olympics pics for you, I'll try to resize a couple soaring eagle pics and post them here. :D

Cool :D......

hazelrunpack
March 14th, 2010, 05:49 PM
Course, if you want to see them in person, you'd have to visit :D

Chris21711
March 14th, 2010, 06:14 PM
Course, if you want to see them in person, you'd have to visit :D

The day we win the lottery Hazel, we're gonna buy a nice big Motorhome and tour by land............You'll see me then :D

hazelrunpack
March 14th, 2010, 07:38 PM
Still working on the Olympics pics, Chris...but here's one of the eagles and some road obstacles I came across on the trip :laughing:

hazelrunpack
March 14th, 2010, 07:40 PM
And I was just out on the deck a little while ago and there was a robin singing in the tree and one hunting for worms in a driveway puddle :thumbs up :highfive: :clap:

Does this mean I have to start rummaging around for my bathing suit? :laughing:

Chris21711
March 15th, 2010, 08:59 AM
A soaring Eagle Hazel, what a beautiful sight :cloud9:

Which type of Geese are those?...I only ever see Canadian Geese and domesticated ones on farms.

And the Robin....where is a pic to prove it :laughing:....maybe I will get my eyes on one this week, my g/f said that they are around in Big Town, so if they edge a little further North then I might be lucky. We have a Crabapple Tree right in front of our bedroom window, they like to forage there.

I did see a Starling this morning.......rare, I know :laughing:

hazelrunpack
March 15th, 2010, 09:31 AM
Not sure on the geese, Chris--some sort of domestic geese, though. The silly geese take naps on the road there :rolleyes: I have to stop for them a lot. :D

I'll try to get some pics of robins but they're pretty shy. They always are for a few days after they arrive--that's why I was so surposed to hear one singing. Normally it takes them 2-3 days to feel comfortable enough to sing after they've gotten here.

Melinda
March 15th, 2010, 10:14 AM
sorry to butt in, but I had to show you how red the "waddle?" is on the turkey toms now that mating season is here, the pic really doesn't do them justice, it is such a bright red!!!

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n132/Shelleyb15/IMG_0382.jpg

hazelrunpack
March 15th, 2010, 10:23 AM
It's not butting in if it's birds, Melinda. :D Very handsome turkeys! :flirt: They always look like wizened little ol' ladies to me, though, with the big eyes and the babushkas. :laughing:

We should be seeing more around here this time of year--I think the coyote and wolf activity in the area is taking its toll :shrug:

Melinda
March 15th, 2010, 10:27 AM
we still have the same 4 toms we started out with last fall, funny though, no hens...

hazelrunpack
March 15th, 2010, 10:31 AM
I believe hens and toms keep to different flocks, Melinda, except on the breeding grounds, so there are probably fem flocks, too, just using a slightly different territory.

Melinda
March 15th, 2010, 10:38 AM
ohhhhhh ok, I didn't know that!!

Chris21711
March 15th, 2010, 11:00 AM
Really clear pics Melinda :thumbs up

Frenchy
March 15th, 2010, 11:18 AM
Chris's new birdy :laughing:

Chris21711
March 15th, 2010, 11:45 AM
Thanks Frenchy :thumbs up

My new "birdie" was eating bird seed from the floor a few nights ago....the first time I had seen one close up :)

Totally :offtopic:: You'll notice the old farm fence that we have....Iggy all legs and 85lbs can wheedle himself through that to take off out back when he wants :rolleyes:

Melinda
March 15th, 2010, 11:57 AM
I wish we had those here............

hazelrunpack
March 15th, 2010, 02:58 PM
Aw....gotta love those furry birds! :laughing: You can keep the teeth, though! :eek: 'possums have lots of sharp teeth! :eek:

luckypenny
March 15th, 2010, 10:49 PM
Hazel, neat shot of the Eagle and Geese :goodvibes:.

Melinda, just love that close-up of the turkeys. Their feathering is absolutely gorgeous...like a work of art :lovestruck:.

Chris, your opossum is quite the little helper :angel: cleaning up after those messy birds :D.

I have a question...Storks...have you guys ever seen any?

And another....Cardinals...do they tend to hang around the same place all the time? Every morning I see one in the same couple of trees next to the house. All alone and high up. I managed this video this morning of Penny and the Cardinal exchanging calls :D. Penny cheated using her Cuz but I thought it was pretty neat :D. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEI5Fk6qSIU&feature=channel

I saw a handful of what I think are Chickadees this morning too. They were at the suet feeder briefly. I hung up homemade stale bread/peanutbutter/birdseed thingies on branches and they seemed to like those much better. They were too fast to take pics of though :(. When I got home from work this evening, all the food I put out was gone :eek:. I'm going to try again tomorrow to get some pics :fingerscr.

Oh oh, and I saw Canada Geese flying way overhead this morning too. It's not too early? What if it snows again :o?

Melinda
March 16th, 2010, 06:29 AM
lucky penny, some geese stay all winter, our two pair that nest next door near the creek don't bother leaving, could be because about 23 miles down the road is the bird sanctuary where they feed them daily all year.

hazelrunpack
March 16th, 2010, 09:22 AM
As long as they can find open water, and sometimes even if they can't, the geese will stick around, LP! They're very hardy. I saw a few flocks headed north yesterday, and our lakes are still ice-covered (for another few days, anyway.)

Are you sure what you saw were storks and not cranes? I heard some sandhill cranes this morning--they nest back in some of the semi-wetland clearnings in the woods. :thumbs up

That cardinal clip is funny! He's actually distracted for a moment by Penny's squeaking!!! :laughing: Most birds will stake out a territory for nesting--and if the male bird sticks with the female for raising the brood, he'll often sing from a preferred perch or tree when he's declaring that territory. So, yes, they'll stick around that spot (the nest is or will be close by) and you'll hear him singing all spring, and probably again in fall as the young-of-the-year males start passing through as the broods disperse.

I love your bread invention! What a great way to use up old bread! :D

luckypenny
March 16th, 2010, 07:04 PM
As long as they can find open water, and sometimes even if they can't, the geese will stick around, LP! They're very hardy.

Phew :o.

Are you sure what you saw were storks and not cranes?

No, I didn't see any Storks :D. Was just curious if anyone has. I only saw them in Eastern Europe when I was a young girl and suddenly thought of them yesterday morning. Going to have to google if they're found in N.America too.

When I got home from work this evening, all the food I put out was gone :eek:.

I was expecting to see hoards of birds today considering all the food that was eaten yesterday...I don't know why I was so surprised to see this :rolleyes:. I counted 6 others (one black one) dancing around in celebration of the buffet.

hazelrunpack
March 16th, 2010, 07:55 PM

More furry birds! :D

Sylvie
March 17th, 2010, 10:18 AM
Hi guys, i have a question about birds pecking at the window. I have a cardinal that comes to my livingroom window and pecks and then flys the full height of the window as if he is trying to get in. Has anyone had this problem? Does anyone know how I can stop him. This is his second year and the reason I am trying to stop him is that my 12 year old golden acutually has an anxiety attack.

All help appreciated. :D

hazelrunpack
March 17th, 2010, 10:22 AM
Likely, he's seeing his reflection and treating it as a rival male. Once the breeding season is over, he may stop on his own, but meanwhile, is there something you can hang on the outside of the window that will break up the reflection? Hmmmm....if it's just one window, could you cover it with an old sheet or towel? The problem is that you'll have to put whatever you decide on on the outside of the window cuz if he's seeing his reflection, the light is bouncing off it so that he can't see through the window.

I suppose if the window isn't too close to a feeder, you could try mounting a plastic owl near the window to try to deter him. Or get one of those rubber snakes and put it along the outside sill if there is one. Just remember to move the owl or snake periodically to keep it 'fresh' and convince the cardinal that they're real :D

Chris21711
March 19th, 2010, 10:12 AM
Those treats are pure heaven for a squirell LP, that little guy is wondering how he can take to whole thing :laughing:

I saw Grackles at the feeders the other day, it's acomin'....Pepe said he saw a Robin in town, he could be teasing me though :rolleyes:

hazelrunpack
March 19th, 2010, 10:54 AM
No grackles here yet....

We still only have one robin :confused: He sings his medley of hits solo every morning.

Of course, considering what the Pack's playtime is doing to my hearing, I maybe just can't hear any others cuz they're more than 50 ft away :o

Chris21711
March 19th, 2010, 11:44 AM
Try and sneak out on the Pack when they are sleeping Hazel....I know, one of them is always sleeping with one eye open to give the signal when the HRM is trying to be sneaky :rolleyes:

hazelrunpack
March 19th, 2010, 11:47 AM
Ha!! They can still hear...no chance of sneaking out on them! :laughing: The barking is really taking a toll on my hearing, though--I've resorted to having ear plugs handy all the time. :rolleyes: sigh

hazelrunpack
March 27th, 2010, 08:50 PM
Some March birds--if you have trouble with them, Chris, let me know! :thumbs up

First up this month is close-up of a male downy woodpecker:

Followed closely by a Mama Purple Finch.

I thought this was Mama Purple Finch, too, but looking at it closer, it looks more like a Mama House Finch--House Finches are fairly common in WI these days, though not usually around here, but we do get a few of them coming through in spring. :shrug: So this one could be either a Purple or a House Finch Mama :o

hazelrunpack
March 27th, 2010, 09:09 PM
In fall I noticed one disheveled junco hanging around with the goldfinches. It was obviously not feeling well and missed moving out with its flock when they migrated. We kept it well fed and it recovered, showing up every day at the feeders for sustenance and even visiting the bird bath now and then for a sip or two of water. About mid-March, I suddenly noticed that he had company. The juncos are moving north...

This one seems to be smiling, so I'm believin' this is my little buddy :D

hazelrunpack
March 27th, 2010, 09:12 PM
A few more juncos hanging out in the sumac:

And a cryptic crow flying along CF in Eau Claire County. (I just threw him in here cuz the pic follows the same gray motif as the junco shots do :p)

hazelrunpack
March 27th, 2010, 09:14 PM
Not only the juncos are on the move--the little brown birds are showing up in droves. :D The fox sparrows showed up this week...

hazelrunpack
March 27th, 2010, 09:17 PM
...as did the American tree sparrows.

hazelrunpack
March 27th, 2010, 09:19 PM
As always, the white-breasted nuthatches put on a good show.

I'm not sure if they're using this cavity in the oak as a food cache or if they intend to nest in there, but they sure are spending a lot of time checking it out, lately. :D

hazelrunpack
March 27th, 2010, 09:21 PM
And finally, my helper for the month...not someone you might be expecting :p

TeriM
March 28th, 2010, 03:28 PM
Awww, that furry friends face is adorable Hazel :lovestruck:. There are some amazing pictures in this thread :lovestruck:.

I saw these guys last week up at whistler on a portion of the lake not still frozen. I was quite surprised to see Cdn Geese hanging out with the swans :shrug:.

and back in the big city I was thrilled to notice the gorgeous bright yellow goldfinches at my feeder this week .... spring is officially here :).

AND .... I heard my first hummingbirds buzzing around on a walk with Riley so I put the feeder out today :thumbs up.

hazelrunpack
March 28th, 2010, 06:51 PM
Hummingbirds already!!! :lovestruck: I have at least another month to wait till they make it back up here. But I'm ready--already stocking up on sugar. :D

I see Canada Geese with the Tundra Swans, too, Teri--even some Sandhill Cranes with them. Often the Tundra Swans gather in a farm field along Hwy 12 where the water pools in spring. This year, though, it's been so dry that there were only a handful there when I went by last Friday. :(

hazelrunpack
March 28th, 2010, 07:46 PM
Oh, and the woodcock are peenting! Two of them! :D And from the frequency of the flights, they're actually attracting some females!!! :highfive:

Goldfields
March 28th, 2010, 08:13 PM
I am glad I decided to check out this thread. I skipped from page 5 to this page to see how many, but I'll go back later and finish reading it. It's so interesting seeing down here we have no snow, squirrels, wild turkeys etc.. I am a bird watcher too, I've seen over 100 different bird species in this immediate vicinity. Sadly I haven't a decent camera- photography hasn't become the obsession that horse, dogs and gardening were. One day ..... :laughing:
Anyway, you certainly have some lovely birds and it's nice to see you all looking after them in your bitterly cold winters. 10 out of 10. :thumbs up

Chris21711
March 29th, 2010, 09:24 AM
Very sharp photos as usual Hazel :thumbs up

The wing and tail feathers on the Nuthatch show so clearly.....the pic of her/him and the Oak cavity are a bit large for me to see the real pic on my tiny screen :o

Teri Hummingbirds already, we don't usually see/hear them until May :(

Goldfields if you manage to snag a camera from someone, I sure would appreciate seeing some birds from down under........btw...I have an Aunt and Cousin who live in Australia, do you know them :laughing:

hazelrunpack
March 29th, 2010, 10:40 AM
Ooops....sorry Chris--I noticed one of the finch pics was too big and resized it, but the nuthatch pics didn't register. When I come back after the Pack comes in, I'll do the nuthatches, too. :o :thumbs up

Goldfields
March 29th, 2010, 11:24 AM
Goldfields if you manage to snag a camera from someone, I sure would appreciate seeing some birds from down under........btw...I have an Aunt and Cousin who live in Australia, do you know them :laughing:

Yeah, we're neighbors. :laughing: :laughing: What State do they live in?

I have a camera but not a fancy one. I can get close ups only, like this Long Billed Corella, and not many birds allow you to get that close. These are very destructive birds and locally it's got to the stage where I think farmers either have, or might be given permission to shoot these.

ownedbycats
March 29th, 2010, 11:50 AM
Just got back from a walk by the river saw lots of ducks and geese but the bird I got pictures of was a red wing black bird.

ownedbycats
March 29th, 2010, 11:51 AM
A couple more....
And a sparrow just because.

hazelrunpack
March 29th, 2010, 01:48 PM
Nice shots, ownedbycats!!! :highfive: Love the ones of the Red-winged BB flying over the water with the reflections below!

And holy catz, Goldfields! Not sure I'd want to get that close to a Long-Billed Corella! :eek: Aptly named! :o

Chris, are the nuthatch pics better now? :fingerscr

Chris21711
March 29th, 2010, 02:55 PM
Yeah, we're neighbors. :laughing: :laughing: What State do they live in?

If memory serves me, I believe New South Wales.

I have a camera but not a fancy one. I can get close ups only, like this Long Billed Corella, and not many birds allow you to get that close. These are very destructive birds and locally it's got to the stage where I think farmers either have, or might be given permission to shoot these.

They are from the Parrot Family?......they seem awful pretty to me, what kind of damage to they do?

Ownedbycats Very neat pics, the reflection on the water of the Redwing :thumbs up.....I love the pic of the Sparrow, her/his wings look just like fans.

Hazel thankyou :o....in the last pic of the Nuthatch, the expression on the face is as if something besides a food cache is in there.

hazelrunpack
March 29th, 2010, 10:05 PM
Three more pics from today...

I finally got a couple of shots of Mama White-breasted Nuthatch. She's not quite through her molt, so her feathers look a bit patchy on her head. You can tell this is the fem because her hood is a medium gray instead of deep charcoal (the nuthatch checking out the oak cavity is a male).

And a nice closeup of a fox sparrow from the blind! :thumbs up

Goldfields
March 30th, 2010, 10:33 AM
That red wing blackbird and your cardinals are so beautiful, I wish we had them here.
Chris21711, New South Wales is next door to Victoria, but a long way from us. :D
The long bill corella is from the Cockatoo family actually and they get up to all sorts of mischief. They take roofnails out, they wreck gardens, ditto for window frames. I tend to think of them as ratbag birds seeing they seem to be all over the sky in big flocks , screeching for no real reason. When they congregate along the river in town, which they must do for water now that a new pipeline means no dams are being filled, the noise they make would be deafening. They'd be waking everyone at dawn, and in the evening they wouldn't be able to hear themselves think.

Chris21711
March 30th, 2010, 03:36 PM
So Goldfields am I right in understanding you don't know my Aunt and Cousin :laughing:....I think your Long Billed Corellas are mighty fine looking birds they are getting a bad rap :laughing:

Hazel thanks for the tip on identifying the M/F Nuthatches, I didn't know that :o

hazelrunpack
April 2nd, 2010, 09:51 PM
On my way into town this morning on a rural gravel road I slowed way down when a flicker decided to veer in front of the car. About the same time, 20 or so juncos and a handful of fox sparrows flushed from just off the gravel, so I slowed down even more to gawk. And suddenly, more than 200 juncos and dozens of fox sparrows went up from the ditches on either side!

For a few seconds, we all traveled together and I was just another species in a mixed flock migrating north :cloud9: Pretty cool!!!

Chris21711
April 5th, 2010, 11:13 AM
Pepe finished my Bluebird House on the weekend, now the wait to see if a BB or anyone for that matter likes it enough to set up house :)

He made it to specs that I gave him, that way he holds no blame if it is considered undesirable :rolleyes:

I saw my first Robins of the season, yay, a tad late imo but I aint b*tching....I also saw for the very first time in real a Purple Finch, just 1 but it's better than none.

more than 200 juncos and dozens of fox sparrows went up from the ditches on either side!

You are definately living in a migatory path Hazel, lucky duck :D

For a few seconds, we all traveled together and I was just another species in a mixed flock migrating north :cloud9: Pretty cool!!!

I hope you didn't have M. Hazel with ya's :rolleyes:

hazelrunpack
April 5th, 2010, 08:53 PM
That's a beautiful box, Chris! :flirt: Any bluebird or tree swallow or wren or chickadee would love a house like that! :cloud9: Pepe is a good man!

hazelrunpack
April 5th, 2010, 08:55 PM
Some robins for ya! Finally!!! :D

hazelrunpack
April 5th, 2010, 08:57 PM
This weeks newbie, Mr Song Sparrow! :flirt:

He was hiding in the pines and I thought I wouldn't get a picture of him, but then he obligingly flitted out almost at my feet! :D