Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Finding Cat and Kittens homes

mandemommie
January 28th, 2010, 01:38 AM
Hello, I just found this board and am hoping that you all as cat lovers can help me. About a week ago I found a cat trapped under my deck. There was a huge snow storm and she couldn't get out. I dug out an escape route for her to find a very pregnant cat. I do not know the first thing about cats, but could tell just by looking at her that she was indeed quite 'in the family way'. I could not leave her outside as it was in the single digits and she looked so hungry. I have no idea how long she was under there. Anyhow, she is a lovely cat as far as I can tell and very affectionate. I put up lost cat signs, but have had no response.

I have been researching on the internet all about cats and pregnancy and believe her to be maybe 6 or 7 weeks pregnant - although I cannot be sure. I can feel the babies moving. I have set up all the things for her that I read about incase she is further along than I think. She looks really uncomfortable.

My question is this: How can I insure the mother cat and babies will go to good homes? I will spend the money to have Mom spayed after birth, but what about the babies? I absolutely cannot afford to fix them all. I cannot really afford to spay the mom, but I will figure out a way. The shelter in our area is a kill shelter and is full. There is also a cat rescue a couple of towns over, but they said they cannot take any of them. If I try to find homes for them myself, how can I insure they will spay/neuter their pet? Can I write up a contract? Is there a better way to do this?

I cannot keep the mom or any of her babies. My husband is very allergic and breaks out in hives. He has been great about the mom being here and knows she and babies will be here for awhile, but has in no uncertain terms made it clear that they cannot stay.

Any help would be appreciated. I know you all have the cat's best interest in mind. Thank you for reading.

Marty11
January 28th, 2010, 09:12 AM
Did you know ONSPCA has a spay/neuter clinic that will spay the cat for 50 dollars. And the kittens when they are ready.

mandemommie
January 28th, 2010, 10:35 AM
Thank you for the suggestion. I did a web search and there does not seem to be an ASPCA in my area - however, I did finally get in touch with a no kill cat shelter that is located about an hour from my home and they had some good information. They gave me the name of an organization who will spay/neuter for $35 each. They also suggested I spay/neuter all of the kittens at 12 weeks and then ask for the cost as an adoption fee when I find homes. 12 weeks plus the two or so the mom might have until she gives birth seems like enough time to save up a couple hundred dollars to do this for them. The clinic is a couple hours away, but it is better than paying $100 for each...

I still have questions about what I should look for in the people who wish to adopt these kittens/cat? Are there general questions I should ask? I do not want them to end up outside in the cold like their mom.

ownedbycats
January 28th, 2010, 01:33 PM
I went through this last year. Some questions (I'm sure there will be others with some more for you):
Have you had a cat before?
Do you have any other pets?
Do you plan to keep your cat indoors or outdoors?
Do you plan to declaw your cat?
Would you be willing to send me pictures of the cat once a month for (insert time period) so I can be sure he/she is okay?
If you can't keep him/her would you give them back to me so I can find another home?