Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

So stressed about giving my kittens new homes

shreddiekinz
January 27th, 2010, 11:38 PM
Hi Everyone,
I am hoping to find some peace with this issue:
In October we had a beautiful Tortoise SHell tabby come to our door one very rainy cold night. We let her in and tried to find her home. No one claimed her. On Dec 15 she had 6 amazing kittens! They are almost ready for their new homes (we are keeping 2, this will add to our already 2 cats, 1 dog and 2 bearded dragons) I am having such trouble with the idea that if i give these kittens to someone else they will not look after them as well as I have and would. I break into tears with the idea of them leaving.
I am hoping that I could get some suggestions on how to deal with this or how to find good "forever" homes for these babies. It breaks my heart to have them leave but I know financially and space wise we can't keep them all. We can't even keep Mama because she does not get along with our two cats at all. Shes great with our dog and kids but not the cats.
I hope someone can shed some light onthis for me.:cat::cat::cat::cat::cat::cat::cat::cat::cat: (Thats how many are in my house) :dog:

14+kitties
January 27th, 2010, 11:54 PM
Wow! Thanks for bringing her in. First of all, when you brought in the momma calico did you do a proper introduction? If not it is not too late. This is a good site to give you some pointers.
http://www.squidoo.com/multi-cat-management
There is also.......
http://www.catsinternational.org/articles/aggression_to_cats/sharing_turf.html
Don't forget part of her attitude toward the other cats in the house is because of the fact she had six kittens to look after and protect. Once the kitties are gone and mom is fixed (I hope very very soon so she does not go through another unwanted pregnancy) she will probably settle right down.
Secondly, please don't ever just "give" a kitten away. There are too many :loser:s out there these days. After hearing many horror stories it just isn't worth it. Some of those include the kittens being sold to labs and being used for snake food. Please charge at the very least a minimum of $25.00. That at least assures you that the kittens may go to a somewhat safe home.
Third, go on line and search adoption contracts. Print out the one that is closest to what you want for the kittens and have potential adopters sign. At the very least you can insist the kittens remain indoor only cats who do not get declawed (barbaric practice) and are spay/neutered. If any of those are broken you have the right (and should) take back the kitten.
As for dealing with the sadness of finding a cat a new forever home, you should rejoice in the fact that you found him/her a wonderful home where she/he will be loved and cherished. :thumbs up You can also ask for home visits so you can assure yourself that the kittens are being well cared for.

shreddiekinz
January 28th, 2010, 01:13 AM
Thank you so much for your great reply.We did try to introduce her to our cats but I know that her being a mom definitly changed the outcome of that. We are selling the kittens for $75 with the condition of them being indoor cats and being spayed and nuetered. Before mama goes to another home she will be spayed first.
I never thought of doing an adoption contract thats a realy good idea. :thumbs up Thank you.
Do you actually have 14+ cats??
Part of my condition for people is that they dont only love the cuteness of a kitten but they love the companionship of the cat. It is so important.
Thank you so much again.I will check out the links you sent me.
:cat::cat::cat::cat::cat::cat::cat::cat::cat::dog:

Love4himies
January 28th, 2010, 07:56 AM
How wonderful for you to give this momma a home so she can raise her babies. :grouphug:

Boy, can I relate to your feelings :grouphug: :cry:.

14+ has given you great advice and I don't have anything to add.

I get terribly attached to my foster kittens who I have until they are big enough to spay/neuter (approx 12 weeks, and two until 5 months :eek:). And yes, I am a bawling when I have to say goodbye to the little sweeties. I have to keep in mind my job was to give them the best start in life as I possibly could to prepare them for the rest of their lives. Once complete, it is time for momma to relax for the rest of her life and the kittens to move on to bring joy to another family.

Please don't let the kittens leave until they are at least 10 weeks as they get very, very valuable socialization from momma and their siblings. This actually makes them better pets with their new families ;).

Momma cats can be very protective of their kittens and don't like other cats around them, probably one of the reasons she doesn't get along.

Another thing you may want to inquire about from potential adopters is their thoughts on the declawing procedure. If they are planning to get scratching posts and what are their plans if the cat starts scratching furniture.

ownedbycats
January 28th, 2010, 01:43 PM
There are anti - declawing links that have informataion you can print off and give to potential adopters describing just how bad declawing is for cats.

14+kitties
January 28th, 2010, 03:36 PM
Thank you so much for your great reply.We did try to introduce her to our cats but I know that her being a mom definitly changed the outcome of that. We are selling the kittens for $75 with the condition of them being indoor cats and being spayed and nuetered. Before mama goes to another home she will be spayed first.
I never thought of doing an adoption contract thats a realy good idea. :thumbs up Thank you.
Do you actually have 14+ cats??
Part of my condition for people is that they dont only love the cuteness of a kitten but they love the companionship of the cat. It is so important.
Thank you so much again.I will check out the links you sent me.
:cat::cat::cat::cat::cat::cat::cat::cat::cat::dog:

An introduction can sometimes take months to achieve. I bet if you started over again, separating her from the rest and following the correct steps, you may find things will work out differently.
JMO but I think $75 is too much for a kitten that is not fixed. Seriously, if you want to find homes I would not go higher than $50. These are not purebred kitties. If you get them fixed first and then offer them for adoption then adding the cost of the surgery is acceptable. I charge $50 for my cats that are adoptable and have a very difficult time getting that. There are far too many out there people give away. Unfortunately they give them to anyone who says they want one and don't worry about it. Out of sight, out of mind. I shudder to think of what happens to a lot of those kitties. :(
As do I actually have 14+ cats...... you can almost triple that number. They are all s/n and some are up for adoption. I have a 1/4 acre "catuary" for them.

Jim Hall
January 28th, 2010, 07:00 PM
no recuses shekters etc that you trust up there? esp id they kittens or can pass as one they may go quick yeah and welcome to cat ville

folks who B#### about adoption prcedures should read and i mean really mean read:thumbs up

ty for being yet one more angel

dmc123
January 28th, 2010, 07:14 PM
I understand how you feel.....when the quads were born I was going to find homes for all. Then, I fell in love with Andy. Then roomie fell in love with Stanley.

When their mama weaned them, kind of, I took the girls Katie and Fergie to the adoption day sponsored by local rescues. When I left them there, I cried.

When I returned at the scheduled time to pick up the cats or the kennel or both, I wondered which would make me sadder - if they had been adopted or if they hadn't.

I peeked into that kennel - saw both of those little sets of eyes and burst into tears. I packed them all up, told the volunteers "These guys already have a home" and brought them home.

I can't imagine our household without them - all.

Good luck with your decisions.

Diane

14+kitties
January 28th, 2010, 10:54 PM
It is always difficult to let kittens and puppies go. I will live out my days regretting letting Bandit go to the home he went to. The owners were great but the vet they took him to didn't want to take the time to treat him properly at Christmas time. They had him put down on the vet's recommendation. :( I can't get over that. :cry: The rest of the cats I have adopted have gone to homes where I can check any time I want. I know they are safe and very much loved. :thumbs up That keeps me going.

shreddiekinz
January 30th, 2010, 12:29 AM
Wow you are all angels!:lovestruck:
I love knowing that there are people out there that genuinely LOVE cats. I hear so many terrible things. I needed to know that there is a good possibility that my babies will find forever homes.
I will reconsider my price for the kittens. I think in a way I am hoping that no one takes them so I can keep them. :D
I will keep trying to introduce Mama to our cats and hope that eventually with patience and time things will work out.
I am definitly going to check into adoption agreements. Thats a fantastic idea!:thumbs up
Thank you so much to everyone. I feel better knowing that others have that same struggle with letting kittens and cats go.
I would love to hear more stories and suggestions from all of you. You are brilliant people:)