Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Lysine usage

ancientgirl
January 26th, 2010, 02:32 PM
I know some of you guys give your cats lysine. Is it used as an immune system booster?

A couple of the gang have been sneezing a bit lately. No goopy eyes or anything coming from their noses, but I wanted to give them something to strengthen their immune system to keep them from getting any kind of URI.

Any suggestions, if Lysine isn't the thing to use?

diandpat
January 26th, 2010, 05:03 PM
AG, I don't know if Lysine is used as a general immune booster but it is used in humans and cats with much success to quiet herpes break outs.

Both of mine take 250mg x 2 day and have since I got them pretty much as they both had full blown snotty noses, runny eyes, sneezing. At Christmas we ran out for a few days and within that time I noticed their eyes were a little "crusty" and some mild sneezing. Could have been coincidence but I don't plan on running out again. I hate when they are sick.

I really don't know what one would use as an all around immune booster. :shrug: I will be interested to read any answers you get.

ancientgirl
January 26th, 2010, 05:49 PM
Thanks, diandpat. Yeah, they aren't crusty, but with the weather being so cold here, and spending 2 weeks in a freezing apartment, they may have just picked up a minor bug.

I would like to get them something to keep themselves healthy. I'm going to have a look online maybe for some natural stuff.

Jim Hall
January 26th, 2010, 07:19 PM
cats get goopy when its cold sort ofl ike humans and yeah lol they pass it around too

lysine is not really a multi immune boooster but is good for herpes which we suspect Du has i give her about 300mg a day