Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

pregnant golden retriever

highhoney36
August 28th, 2004, 02:21 PM
Hello again everyone,
Ok well I'm ready for a tongue lashing lol, anyways our rescue honey is pregnant and due in 6 days, I am worried she is sooo big. She seems to be fine except she is moving quite slow and has problems getting up 3 stairs,and when she sits down it takws her forever to get back up, is this normal or should i be contacting our vet? I thought i would check here first as the vet terrifies her and i don't want to add further stress.

Honey bred with a purebred shepard which to say the least i was not happy about, and i was so careful when she came into heat it was a big mistake which is to late to fix now, so i take full responsibility for that. I have found homes already for 5 puppies, we have the space and time for puppies but i am not experienced with this. So any advice will be appreciated.

please be kind, i feel very bad about what happened and our sweetheart will be visiting the vet to be spayed as soon as possible but i just couldn't abort those babies.

Cinnabear
August 28th, 2004, 06:44 PM
I would feel very sluggish if I had 6 days to go. Is she fine on one level? Eating and drinking okay, if not then take her to the vet.

highhoney36
August 28th, 2004, 07:20 PM
Honey is eating and drinking fine and she goes for walks fine, I am jsut very nervous and i don't want anything to happen to her, i love her very much and i feel very bad that i let her get pregnant. Well i didn't let her i just turned my back. lol thanx for the imput.

pommom
August 29th, 2004, 11:02 AM
She is only a few days from having her puppies, My guess is if she is having that hard a time getting around may be cause she is going to have alot of puppies, some larger dogs have more pups than others, hang in there
everything will be ok.

highhoney36
August 29th, 2004, 01:34 PM
thanks pommom, and your right she probably will have a lot of pups. I called the vet yesturday and he said the same thing, and because her eating and drinking is fine he said that it is just the weight of her pups. I feel alittle better about it now. I am just very nervous I think lol or is anxious a better word? Anyways thanx again for your input. It helps alot!!! :D

Xtream Dogs
September 6th, 2004, 02:15 AM
;) its ok to be scared.........I am with "every" breeding! one never knows what can happen, has she had her pups yet? If not, do you know how to tell when its time? I have used a lot of tricks..........the best one is that she will not eat the day of delivery, even treats, my dogs will sometimes take the treat (cheese) and then hide it! I know then that I can not leave her side until the pups arrive.

highhoney36
September 6th, 2004, 12:09 PM
Hi thanx for your advice, but honey has had her puppies, she had 10 but one died. SHe had a very smooth delivery and a very fast one lol. Mother and puppies are doing great!!! Pics coming soon!!