Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Just a suggestion

Chris21711
January 25th, 2010, 01:50 PM
I enjoy talking about Wild Birds in general....I know other folks on this site do also, we don't always have photos on hand to open a thread....me especially :rolleyes:.

What I was thinking if we could have an ongoing thread similar to the TJT where we just chat about them.....Anybody interested?

You probably all think I'm silly :o

hazelrunpack
January 25th, 2010, 02:00 PM
Me! Me! :D I love birds :flirt:

quincymycat
January 25th, 2010, 02:04 PM
I don't thinkk it s silly Chris. I love my birdies and am one of the weird people who have their feeders in their front yard so I can watch them when I am in the living room. My neighbours are not too thrilled...but what the hey? :)
I am not too knowledgeable about identifying birds though, beyond the obvious, bluejays, cardinals, those little brownish ones....see how well informed I am? :laughing:.
I would love to see a thread where pictures are posted with the birds identified, then I will know what it is I am enjoying watching so much!:thumbs up

Chris21711
January 25th, 2010, 02:04 PM
I know you love birdies Hazel, we always chat in the tjt about them, I thought it would be neat to hear what's going on in other Birdhoods :D

Chris21711
January 25th, 2010, 02:06 PM
QMC this wouldn't be so much about posting pics but chatting in general as to what is happening in one hood or another, ya' know what I mean, just like we do in the tjt.

hazelrunpack
January 25th, 2010, 02:09 PM
You mean like how the birds around here are singing snippets of spring song and beginning to chase each other a little more in preparation for spring? :D :cloud9:

quincymycat
January 25th, 2010, 02:11 PM
OK guys...I don't think I have that kind of relationship with my birdies....I just enjoy watching their antics, so I will peruse, but keep in the TJT house!!!:laughing:

Chris21711
January 25th, 2010, 02:13 PM
You mean like how the birds around here are singing snippets of spring song and beginning to chase each other a little more in preparation for spring? :D :cloud9:

Yes, yes...what do ya' think?

OK guys...I don't think I have that kind of relationship with my birdies....I just enjoy watching their antics, so I will peruse, but keep in the TJT house!!!:laughing:

Join in too QMC, surprisingly the same birds in different areas behave differently.

hazelrunpack
January 25th, 2010, 02:16 PM
When they do something particularly entertaining, qmc, you can post their antics in the bird thread :thumbs up :D

Winston
January 25th, 2010, 02:47 PM
Chris thats a great idea! I post every year about my falcon friends so I would be interested!

Chris21711
January 25th, 2010, 02:51 PM
Chris thats a great idea! I post every year about my falcon friends so I would be interested!

:thumbs up....I appreciate your falcon thread Winston, I just love it.

Winston
January 25th, 2010, 02:56 PM
Chris I am soo excited this year! I didnt get to participate last summer in the Volunteer Falconwatch cause of the surgury but this year! I am in again!

PLUS the pair having been giving me beautiful long flights right downtown Hamilton in between the buildings and god they are gorgeous in flight!

They stick around all winter and dont migrate! but they hide well! with this warmer winter I see them lots! :thumbs up

hazelrunpack
January 25th, 2010, 03:01 PM
Cool! A little work-time entertainment! :cloud9: How close are you to the nest site?

Winston
January 25th, 2010, 03:10 PM
Hazel its across the street now from where I work...but I used to be in the building next to it! (I can look from the 10th floor of our old office right into the nest!)

It was way cool! I volunteer for my 1/2 lunch and then after work I usually put in a couple of hours....its a lot of fun and very interesting to watch the parents and how they raise their young! I have learned alot about raptors too!

The young ones are entertaining too! A few yrs ago there was a male in the nest with 3 girls and OMG he was a little sF%$ disterber! always getting into trouble! :laughing: Our Matriarch Mariah has maintained her nest for 12 yrs now and I am so glad I have not had to personally witness a territory battle ...as I am sure you know there is only 1 winner!

hazelrunpack
January 25th, 2010, 03:14 PM
I don't know much about peregrines, I'm afraid. We don't typically have them around here. I hesitate to ask...what happens to the loser? Just driven off? Or don't I wanna know? :o

Winston
January 25th, 2010, 03:15 PM
Either or........depends on how smart they are! usually hormones play a roll...and funny from what I have read its usually the female that initiates the battle for territory usually. The male is always hlf the size of the female.....

Winston
January 25th, 2010, 03:17 PM
:thumbs upThey are really a gorgeous raptor!

hazelrunpack
January 25th, 2010, 03:21 PM
They really are beautiful! :cloud9: Most of the raptors are that way--fems larger than the males. I'd love to see a territorial squabble, but I'd be too anxious worrying about someone getting hurt... :rolleyes: I can understand it dispassionately, but when I'm watching it, I always find myself choosing sides. :o

Winston
January 25th, 2010, 03:28 PM
I would be biased too cause Mariah is such an amazing bird and mother!

hazelrunpack
January 28th, 2010, 10:26 AM
Here ya go: The TJTwitter (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=68148) :D