Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Getting to know you...

Cactus Flower
August 28th, 2004, 12:54 PM
I have really enjoyed reading the more personal threads lately (favorite music....favorite movie, etc). It's fascinating- holding the impression I've had of everyone (from reading posts) up against the revelations in the personal threads.

I have a few questions that I often ask when I'm getting to know someone, and I never fail to be amazed by some of the answers I get. So, if you'll indulge me......

#1- If you could meet any three people (that you've never met before)- have
a few hours of their time to talk- what three people would you choose?
It can be anyone, living or dead. Someone from history...a movie star...
a family member you never knew.....anyone.

#2- If you could hop on a plane RIGHT NOW and go anywhere in the world,
where would you go? (What's the first place that just came to mind?)

I'm excited.......can't wait to read your answers!

meggie1425
August 28th, 2004, 01:10 PM
Great idea Cactus Flower!!

#1) -if i could meet anyone, it would be my grandparents who died before i was born.
- also, micheal moore
- and i would want to meet johnny depp!!

#2) if i could go anywhere in the world it would probably be Newfoundland, not very creative, but ive always wanted to go there, i hear its a beautiful place and that the people there are really nice!(i also have relatives there that i would like to meet!)

I cant wait to hear other peoples reply too!!

Writing4Fun
August 28th, 2004, 01:32 PM
Ooooh! Good thread CF!

Hmmm...3 people I'd like to meet...
1) Robin Williams - I think he'd be a HOOT to chat with for a couple hours.
2) Chuck Jones - producer of the greatest Bugs Bunny cartoons ever (it breaks my heart the way they butcher them for TV these days :( )
3) JK Rowling - to see if some of her genius would rub off on me :D

If I could go anywhere in the world right now, it would probably be Italy - visit some historical sites, do a little geneological (sp?) research, tour the Ferrari and Ducati factories, and then visit some family I haven't seen in years and some I've never met at all.

Jackie467
August 28th, 2004, 02:00 PM
I love these threads.
three people i would want to meet are
1) my grandfather who died before i was born
2) my fav dog that my family had when i was a baby (does that count?)
3) the pope

If i could go anywhere right now i would have to say italy too. thats where most of my family is from. first stop would have to be rome. best art anywhere and the pope is there.

Cactus Flower
August 28th, 2004, 02:01 PM
Interesting answers!

Meggie, it doesn't have to be "creative", just honest! Who's to say Newfoundland isn't a fabulous place to visit! I for one would love to see it!

Italy huh? My stomach is growling already.......

Cactus Flower
August 28th, 2004, 02:04 PM
Can I answer my own question?

My three people would be:

Adolph Hitler (Don't freak out-please remember my field:forensic psychology...)

My grandfather I never met

John Trudell

And I would be in EGYPT in a heartbeat!

badger
August 28th, 2004, 02:59 PM
Cactus, have you ever read a book called Albert Speer: His Struggle with the Truth, by Gitta Sereny? He was Hitler's architect, responsible for many grandiose buildings. I think he's dead now. Sereny spent many hours with him, trying to get him to admit that he had contributed, albeit indirectly, to a murderous regime, and knew it. Fascinating book.

I'd love to spend more time with my grandparents, only one of whom I knew.

Greece!

Cactus Flower
August 28th, 2004, 03:36 PM
Yes I have heard of the book, but unfortunately never been able to get my hands on it :(

chico2
August 28th, 2004, 03:51 PM
#1.Rd.Lawrence(RIP), a wonderful writer and naturalist,I would love to study wolves with him,the animal he loved and learned to understand.
As for comic relief,Robin Williams would be hilarious to talk to,he is a true comic :D
#2,I've already seen a lot of places in the world,but I would love to go to Alaska(in the summer :D)or the Galapagos islands.

Catt31
August 28th, 2004, 03:51 PM
hmmm, yer making me think!!!

Three people I'd like to meet - Vin Diesel, Stanley Coran, and Harrison Ford..ooohhhh, and Dean Koontz

Cactus, I'd be in Egypt with ya - in a heart beat!!!

Sneaky2006
August 28th, 2004, 04:29 PM
Grrr! Second time writing a reply.
CF, amazon has this book... Albert Speer : His Battle with Truth
Here is the link if you're interested. They have it used for $4 and change.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0679768122/qid=1093726082/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/002-2386484-0061649?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Anyway, my three people
Sylvia Browne!! I love her and want to talk to her!!
Ellen Degeneres and Julia Roberts.

One place I've always wanted to go... Alaska, we are hopefully going on another cruise next year, and I want it to be Alaska!!!

melanie
August 28th, 2004, 07:10 PM
ppl to meet- oh so many
1st god- we have alot to discuss and nut out together
2nd janis joplin- she was just beautiful and felt unloved, i know i could have loved her easy :D
3rd ladislas farago and the popes of the past 200yrs- ladislas (relative) was a famous spy in the vatican nazi smuggling network and the popes that did all that, we also have a few things to discuss and nut out

oh just one more out of the million i can think of-

4ththe mother of DNA Rosalind Franklin (also the mother of xray, but thats what killed her)- she was done over by men in science and was a brilliant woman who never got recognition for her miraculous work, i would love to just sit and chat with her and pick her brain.

right now i would love to go to my sisters (i miss her :o *snif*) and tasmaina for a walking holiday, or canada, cant decide :D

Delirium
August 28th, 2004, 07:37 PM
1. Fidel Castro
2. Our Prime Minister, whomever is current
3. Da Vinci

Dee

Stewart
August 29th, 2004, 12:42 AM
1. My Grandmother on my mothers side (died before i was born)
2.One of my decendants in say 100 years time
3. Spike Miligan the funniest man ever to live !
I just hope i can get to see the Cook Islands one day pure bliss I bet ! :cool:
Very good thread mind prevokeing ;)

shihtzulover
August 30th, 2004, 07:41 AM
I would love to visit with my grandfather, who died when I was one.

Travel: Would love to go back to California. I love it there, Love the stores, beaches etc. Also would like to go to hollywood and shop........ I love to shop. :)
Also love palm trees, I have like 500 pictures of different palm trees I took in California and Cuba. I wish I could grow one in my yard, but I think our snow would kill the poor thing. :(

shan
August 30th, 2004, 09:26 AM
I would love to see all the people that I have loved that have died, just one more time to say good bye. It seems that you never truly get a chance to do that....

As far as where I would like to go I want to go to Ireland, or anywhere warm

Delirium
August 30th, 2004, 09:28 AM
Forgot the location bit.

Cuba! :)

Dee

SSAC
August 30th, 2004, 11:25 AM
Shan, say goodbye now, they'll hear you :)

1) Muhammed Ali (before degeneration) - A great boxer
2) The Dali Lama -would love to sit down and "chat" for a few hours
3) Sylvia Browne -she blows my mind

Destination:Yukon -pan for gold! (just to say I've done it!) :D

GsdDiamond
August 30th, 2004, 11:34 AM
Person I'd most want to meet?.... Has to be my idol... Judy Garland. Don't ask why....I've adored her since I was a little girl.

Place I'd most like to travel to?.... France. My grandfather (dad's side) was from France and would travel back there every year to visit family and such. He always described it in the most loving ways that I can almost picture it. I'd like to travel the back roads and stop by the local vineyards. All the places tourists don't go....that's where I'd go.

ThaiGhing
August 30th, 2004, 11:44 AM
Three people i would like to meet.. hmmm
1. Jon Bon Jovi - yummy!
2. Madonna - interesting!
3. Stephen King - spooky!

Where would i go if I had a plane waiting - hmmmm maybe thailand... or malaysia .... or INDIA!!

heidiho
August 30th, 2004, 12:03 PM
If i could go anywhere,it would be Fiji....Three people... 1- Steven Tyler.2-Brad Pitt.3-Bill Clinton....

Princesss04
August 30th, 2004, 01:33 PM
Why Bill Clinton Heidi???? :confused: Just curious

Princesss04
August 30th, 2004, 01:35 PM
I would be in Fiji as well. Lets pack our bags and go!!!! I am free this weekend LOL!!! :D My people I would love to see is 1. Julia Roberts 2. God ( have some questions I never have gotten the answers to) 3. My great granfather 4. My baby (we lost)

Cactus Flower
August 30th, 2004, 01:49 PM
Oh Princess, I'm very sorry you lost your baby :(

Why not Bill Clinton? If I could list more than three, he'd definitely be on it.
I think he's brilliant.

I know you're curious, but I hope we don't end up judging other people's answers. I don't want anyone to hesitate in posting for fear of being judged. (Not saying that's what you were doing, just a word out to anyone reading).

Everyone's answers have been most interesting! Thanks to all who posted!

Princesss04
August 30th, 2004, 02:03 PM
Oh I was just wondering if she thought he was good looking brillant or awful or what. You know you can figure some of the obvious ones out but that was one I was wondering on. Nothing against her or Bill just a questions trying to get to know people better. Not judging at all. :D

heidiho
August 30th, 2004, 02:30 PM
I really have no good answer,i always liked him,he is human,he screwed up,funny how everyone loved jfk even though he had an affair..No particular reason..

Princesss04
August 30th, 2004, 02:42 PM
That is true how someone can mess up once and everyone has to put there two cents worth in but when they mess up they want everyone to over look it and go on. I have always found that crazy. ;)

heidiho
August 30th, 2004, 02:45 PM
I mean he was stupid being in his postition to do that,but he is a man,need i say more,and when jfk had an affair i dont think it was ever made into what bill clintons affair was...Such a big deal..

Cactus Flower
August 30th, 2004, 03:49 PM
Just to clarify:

I did not mean to imply that I expected Princess to judge Heidi's answer. It's just that if you say "Bill Clinton" in any room, you're going to hear a lot of snide comments. He's certainly a hot topic. I was simply using that opportunity to ask everyone not to judge ANYONE'S answers on here. I mean, if a person made it on someone's list of three people, they obviously mean a lot to the poster, and it would be great if we could continue to show respect for their choices, as we've done thus far.

Early on in this thread, somebody attacked a choice that someone made, and it was ugly. He ended up pulling his posts from this thread entirely, and I subsequently ended up pulling my post asking him not to attack people's answers.

Just trying to keep the peace here. I have nothing but fondness for Princess :D

Stewart
August 31st, 2004, 02:48 AM
I dont want to ramble on but besides my first 3 choises of folk I would love to meet I do have more those were chosen for the reason that I felt more of a common bond so could easily identify with.Having said that 4th 5th etc would have been famous people,Sporting and showbizz types, 4th woulda been Princess Di what a turbulant life that poor Lady led yet managed to give off an Aura of peace and tranquillity to millions only to end up sadly as she did I will say no more on that subject I have my own opinion :(

debanneball
August 31st, 2004, 05:51 AM
Morning everyone.. :p ..the people I would love to meet are my birth parents. I was adopted, and why I would like to meet them is that I have so many questions. Now, don't take me the wrong way, I DEARLY LOVE MY PARENTS AND SIBLINGS! When I turned 18 my parents gave me my adoption papers, and asked if I wanted to search for my birth family, I looked at them and said, I have my family. It's just questions, not necessarily to make them my family. As for a place to go....how about Bora Bora, or Fiji, they say it's georgeous. :p

Princesss04
August 31st, 2004, 09:46 AM
You can pack up and go to Fiji with Heidi and I I think we were talking about this weekend. How is that for you??? LOL ;)

Luba
September 1st, 2004, 08:30 PM
Good thread :D

I would GO to Hawaii (enough said on that one tropical paradise for shizzle)

I would like to meet:

1) Myself in a former life ;)
2) Jesus :D
3) Betty Davis :p

Sneaky2006
September 1st, 2004, 08:42 PM
Luba, your #1 is an awesome choice!!!! I love it!

Luba
September 1st, 2004, 09:07 PM
Hey maybe I was you or you were me???? lol

Sneaky2006
September 1st, 2004, 09:11 PM
Haha, I love it!! Hey, anything is possible.... I would love to know what...err who I was in a previous life... that's why MY #1 was Sylvia cause she'd tell me! :D

Cactus Flower
September 1st, 2004, 09:20 PM
Now that was an answer I wasn't expecting! Leave it to Luba.... :D

I don't believe in reincarnation (I don't think God recycles). But what an interesting choice! If I believed in it, I'd guess that you were anything but a chambermaid LOL. Maybe something more along the lines of Helen of Troy ;) .

moontamara
September 2nd, 2004, 09:12 AM
Cactus Flower, Egypt -- good choice! I just read that your favourite movie is Life of Brian and am delighted! That was a favourite in my family! One year we watched it the night before Easter, unthinkingly, and worried we'd all be struck by lightening bolts!

Two of the people I'd meet are my father's parents who died when my father was young. The other would be John Irving, my favourite writer (he responded to a letter I wrote once -- very very exciting, but not the same as actually meeting!)

The place would have to be my aunt and uncle's house in Kenora Ontario, Canada with all other close family members there too.

Sigh* :p

JKC27
September 2nd, 2004, 11:15 AM
3 people I'd like to meet, in no particular order are:

1. Jacques Villeneuve - Canadian F1 racer
2. The guy that braveheart is based on (William Wallace?) - believe he has ties to my family history back in Scotland
3. Not sure - Winston Churchill maybe?

Place to visit - Scotland

sammiec
September 2nd, 2004, 11:41 AM
Me? I would LOVE to meet Mark Walhberg (I'm such a girl :o ) and Colin Farrel (HA! ), *thinking of someone that makes me seem less superficial * and the good ol' president of the United States... George W. (Is he really as dumb and he makes us think he is?!?!)

My trip would have to be to Australia - stopping for my layover in Hawaii (with Luba!) maybe the layover could be for a week or so..... LOL :p Can I pick another place - I am dying to go to Ireland!

Writing4Fun
September 2nd, 2004, 12:35 PM
JKC27 - an F1 fan! :cool: Excellent! But why Jacques, out of all of them? I'm a little annoyed with him after last year's tantrum. :p

JKC27
September 2nd, 2004, 03:21 PM
Writing4Fun,

Well he is my favourite, plus he's Canadian. He is the only driver that can and will challenge Schumacher. Plus he speaks his mind! I think, should he come back to BAR, or wherever next year, that he will prove a lot of his detractors wrong! Although if I could go back in time, his dad or Senna would be guys I'd like to meet.

I am a hockey guy first and foremost, and have been lucky to have met many of my hockey idols (Darryl Sittler for example) and get tons of stuff signed.

Also, another place I would put up there with Scotland, to visit, would be Australia.

Luba
September 2nd, 2004, 04:00 PM
Helen of Troy more like Lady Godiva LMAOOOOOOO

Egypt years ago, not now would be lovely! It's too political now.

Iggette
September 7th, 2004, 08:49 AM
Place to visit.....New Zealand....would love to see the sites that they filmed in Lord of the rings it looks so beautiful.

3 people
#1 I love the Sylvia browne choice she thrills me also
#2 Love the Robin Williams choice .....love to laugh and I always find him funny
#3 Would love to meet my real Dad :)

Cactus Flower
September 7th, 2004, 04:17 PM
There are a few people that have mentioned birth parents- that is so interesting to me. (Not too long ago I found out I have a half sister).

As far as comedians go, I am a huge Steve Martin fan. I'd pick him if I had my choice of comedians. Robin Williams is hilarous, though!

heidiho
September 7th, 2004, 04:50 PM
Just saw Sea Biscuit,oh my god that was sooo good