Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Awesome & Easy Training Treat Recipe

TeriM
January 23rd, 2010, 11:32 PM
Riley is very fussy with his treat preferences (shocking for a lab :eek:) and only really likes softer very flavorful treats. I am tired of paying the big bucks for those so tried this recipe and he absolutely goes crazy for them :thumbs up. It is super easy and the texture ends up like brownies so they are soft and easy to break up to small pieces for training.

2 cans of tuna (or salmon) with juice
1.5 cups of flour (rice flour works)
2 eggs
a good pinch of garlic powder or fresh garlic, minced (optional)
a good sprinkle of parm. cheese (optional)

Use a blender or hand mixer (braun thingy) to mix the wet ingredients to a puree type consistency. Stir in flour and and press into a small greased Pyrex lasagna pan. Sprinkly parmasen cheese on top and gently press into the dough. Bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes. It is done when the edges seem to start to pull away from the pan sides. The end consistancy is very similar to brownies.

I used my pizza cutter to cut into little squares and put into a ziploc bag and freeze. I take out handful and thaw for the day I am going to do some training.

The whole recipe costs about $3 and I get a ton of bite sized treats :thumbs up.
I also am going to try this with some canned chicken (costco) that I have, I think that would also work well.

rainbow
January 23rd, 2010, 11:40 PM
That sounds alot like the salmon snacks recipe I posted a while ago except my recipe didn't have eggs in it. It didn't list the parmesan cheese or garlic powder either but those sound like yummy add-ins. :thumbs up

I've tweaked the recipe that I use also to add parsley flakes. :D

TeriM
January 23rd, 2010, 11:43 PM
It is quite similar to your recipe. I think there is more flour and the eggs change up the texture :shrug:.

rainbow
January 23rd, 2010, 11:52 PM
Are they as thick as brownies?

And hard or soft?

TeriM
January 24th, 2010, 01:47 AM
Yep, they would be about the same thickness as brownies or fudge and the texture is very similar to fudge.