Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

A trip to Algonquin

Gail P
January 21st, 2010, 02:23 PM
Dogsledding pictures, yet again ;) On Saturday a friend and I and my daughter took a drive up to the dogsled trails in the park. Our plan was to do about 4 miles, stop for a rest break/lunch and then do the return trip but it turned out to be a little bit longer. We turned off the double-wide main trail and were on a single lane trail when we wanted to stop for lunch, so we went a bit further to look for a place where there would be lots of room to get off the trail in case other teams came by. We ended up turning around and going back to a clearing we had seen a little while earlier, so we did about 5 miles before lunch and then 4 more after. It was nice to get out on the longer trails.

Gail P
January 21st, 2010, 02:30 PM
Snack time!

Storm looking quite pleased with his snack

My friends dogs, once finished their own snacks looking mighty interested in my daughter's lunch :laughing:

hazelrunpack
January 21st, 2010, 03:41 PM
:laughing: Did all the attention make your daughter eat faster than usual? :D That's a lot of eyes! :laughing:

Looks like another fun day! The dogs certainly seemed to enjoy themselves.

Chris21711
January 21st, 2010, 04:04 PM
Great pics Gail :thumbs up....all of the years I've lived here and I have never been to Algonquin and it's not too far :o

Gail P
January 21st, 2010, 11:11 PM
:laughing: Did all the attention make your daughter eat faster than usual? :D That's a lot of eyes! :laughing:

Looks like another fun day! The dogs certainly seemed to enjoy themselves.
They didn't bother her. Don't forget she's used to living amidst a pack of dogs :laughing:

Great pics Gail :thumbs up....all of the years I've lived here and I have never been to Algonquin and it's not too far :o
I'm closer than you and I've only been a few times. Then again, the area I live in is very similar to the park so really there's no need unless it's for something specific (like miles of groomed dogsled trails :D )

TeriM
January 22nd, 2010, 12:48 AM
Looks like everyone enjoyed a wonderful day :thumbs up. The dogs look very happy :lovestruck:.

growler~GateKeeper
January 22nd, 2010, 02:03 AM
Looks like a great time had by all :cloud9:

My friends dogs, once finished their own snacks looking mighty interested in my daughter's lunch :laughing:

:laughing: Well of course :laughing: the sun rises & sets on a Sibes stomach ;) :D

rainbow
January 22nd, 2010, 02:44 AM
Great pics and lucky, lucky dogs. :thumbs up :cloud9:

That last pic made me smile ......I know that look all too well. :D

Tundra_Queen
January 22nd, 2010, 04:46 AM
I didn't know that Algonquin had dog sled trails. Your friend's dogs are very pretty...what kind are they? Your dogs and hers get along ok?

Gail P
January 22nd, 2010, 08:39 AM
I didn't know that Algonquin had dog sled trails. Your friend's dogs are very pretty...what kind are they? Your dogs and hers get along ok?

There are two sets of dogsled trails in the park. The Sunday Lake trails on the Hwy. 60 corridor and the North Algonquin trails that are up by South River on Hwy. 11. Here's more information about them http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/mustrails/dogsled.html

Her red & white dog that is in front of the others I believe is a rescued mixbreed. The black & white is a Siberian Husky and the two on the right are Seppala's. I don't know a heck of a lot about the Seppala breed but they are apparently an ancestor of today's Siberian Husky and have become rare, even to the point of facing extinction according to this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seppala_Siberian_Sleddog My friend has been involved with the AMHL for a while and has some other mixbreed rescues too, but she also wanted to get the Seppala's and went to Manitoba to get these two a few months ago.

They all get along pretty well. When we're sledding they're not in direct contact with each other but we do sometimes pass each other on the trail without any problems.