Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Puppy broke a tooth - Help!

2bass
January 18th, 2010, 10:10 PM
Hi everyone,

I was just playing with my puppy and accidentally knocked her in the mouth, and broke one of her teeth. I'm pretty sure it was a baby tooth (she's not quite 5 months old) and I looked at it after it had stopped bleeding and it seems to have completely come out (couldn't really look when I first knocked it since I was kind of freaking out a little.) Does this require any visits to the vet or anything of the like? It's mostly stopped bleeding now, and it seems like another tooth is growing right behind when the hole is, which makes me pretty sure it was just a baby tooth and will grow back, but I'd like to get some other opinions just to be safe.

Masha
January 18th, 2010, 10:15 PM
Is your puppy eating/drinking/playing with toys as normal? It sounds like you knocked a baby tooth out which is not a big deal as it was probably quite loose and ready to come out anyways, but if you pup experiences any bahviour changes, a vet visit may be needed. keep an eye on her.

hazelrunpack
January 18th, 2010, 10:25 PM
It sounds like you have entered that 'magical' teething phase...have you noticed that your pup is a bit more 'mouthy' --chewing or gnawing more than usual? If you have any doubts at all, of course, a vet visit is in order, but if you can see the intact tip of the new tooth coming in to replace the baby tooth, then it's normal teething.

She'll likely be losing more teeth in short order. Most pups lose the baby teeth over a few weeks to a month, although we had one that dropped all his incisors one day, then dropped all of the rest of his teeth about a week later. :eek: We called him the Toothless Wonder for a while there! :laughing:

We found that frozen wash cloths were very helpful in soothing irritated gums. Run an old wash cloth under water, wring it out and through it in the freezer. Once it freezes, let her use it as a chew toy--watch her closely, though, so she doesn't tear it up and eat the pieces. The cloths thaw fairly quickly, so we always had a handful of them in the freezer at all times. :thumbs up

2bass
January 18th, 2010, 10:32 PM
I can hear her squeaking away on her chewtoys as usual, and she just ate all her dinner and is happy and rowdy as always! I'll keep an eye on her, but it's nice to have some reassurance that it's just part of being a puppy!

hazelrunpack
January 18th, 2010, 10:37 PM
So, 2bass...have we seen pics of your little beauty, yet? :D Pictures are required, you know, or we start to pout. :o Well...okay....so maybe pictures aren't required, but we do pout! :laughing:

Dee-O-Gee
January 18th, 2010, 10:39 PM
It sounds like a puppy tooth situation 2bass. You'll probably start to notice them lying all around while picking and cleaning up. I have a little container of at least 5 puppy teeth I found while cleaning.

While she's sleeping, stick a treat under her sleeping bed to let her know the tooth fairy came! :D

2bass
January 18th, 2010, 10:53 PM
Here's my baby! Granted, these are kind of old so she's bigger now, but just as adorable!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v226/skaplunk/SDC10380.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v226/skaplunk/SDC10395.jpg

hazelrunpack
January 18th, 2010, 11:20 PM
Oh, my! What a sweet little munchkin she is! :flirt: Definitely 'adorable overload' there, 2bass! :lovestruck: Thanks for sharing!

babydoll101
January 19th, 2010, 09:28 AM
Oh what a cutie, she looks just like my little muchkin!!

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=67848

I was wondering when my doggy's teeth were going to come out and how long it was going to last.
Thanks for this post:)

hazelrunpack
January 19th, 2010, 11:00 AM
Typically they start to teethe between 4 and 6 months. How long it lasts depends on the dog. Cole lost all of his within a week and the adult teeth pushed through rapidly--so he was done in maybe a month, or at least past the stage where it felt good to chew on everything. :D The others took longer--they lost their teeth more slowly over a longer period of time and the new teeth came in in stages.

When she does start teething, babydoll, puppy teeth make great momentos of those puppy years! :thumbs up My jewelry box is full of them! No other jewels necessary :cloud9: :laughing:

babydoll101
January 19th, 2010, 05:55 PM
When she does start teething, babydoll, puppy teeth make great momentos of those puppy years! :thumbs up My jewelry box is full of them! No other jewels necessary :cloud9: :laughing:

Thanks:thumbs up That's a great idea. It is funny this was mentioned because I just noticed today she lost her first tooth!!! I was unable to get it though:(

hazelrunpack
January 19th, 2010, 08:33 PM
Those tiny little incisors are hard to spot when they fall out...you'll have better luck finding the back teeth. :D

2bass
January 19th, 2010, 09:08 PM
My baby is definitely teething! Just found a back tooth on my bed.