Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

my dog is licking the floor constantly and throwing up

rockydog
September 2nd, 2002, 12:10 AM
my dog suddenly began to lick the whole floor and wants to chew anything and everything. then when he's outside, he just wants to eat some grass or some kind of greenery. He's done this one other time but then stopped in one day. Why is he doing this?

mark
September 3rd, 2002, 07:00 PM
i have a 3.7 kg poodle and a 42kg airedale/retriever. The poodle seems to spend an inordinate amount of time/effort licking things; pillows mostly but towels and blankets. There may be something on the floor that smells attractive to your dog. you don't mention anything or much about the state of the floor or other issues related to the item being licked. The throwing up could be a reaction to the material being ingested; most of the items found on the floor are indigestible and could be mildly offensive to the dog. The barfing is the dog's reaction to expelling unwanted material from his stomach. it could be that the finishing on the floor caused the dog's discomfiture. or something else that he ate that had to be expelled.
the eating of the grass and greenery has been attributed to various ailments and conditions; most often an inbalance in nutrients or something lacking from the diet. this doesn't often pass muster as the dogs are almost too well fed. the grass too is indigestible for the most part; you will see the grass in the dogs feces when it is passed. sometimes the excrement will be tinged with red as well as with remnants of the green grass. sometimes this will be seen as dried blood as it is true that the grass can irritate the intestinal lining.
if the dog doesn't eat the vomit after eating the grass, then you can be sure that the grass and greenery was eaten as a doggie version of an epicac- vomit inducer. for example dogs will routinely gooble down a peanut butter sandwich only to puke it back up then eat it again. dogs do this. if however, the dog throws up and backs away or smells it only to leave it alone, the grass has served its purpose.
it may be that the dog has eaten something ( perhaps some time ago ) that is still in there. are you missing anything? do you live in the city or suburbs or rural country? are there other dogs or animals around? does your dog scratch itself or lick itself? at specific times or throughout the day?
my dogs eat grass when distressed; usually it is from something they ate and when that is gone, they forego the bunny food for something better. sometimes it is caused by some emotional issue but not often. as i said, it is most often an acute event that relieves itself in due course.

LoganBogan
October 21st, 2006, 08:58 PM
My dog Logan keeps licking the carpet and tile and throwing up!!!I dont know what to do!! I've tried feeding him more and buying him more chewtoys but nothing's working!!!I really need help because I dont want him to get any sicker!!!

Prin
October 21st, 2006, 09:03 PM
How long has this been going on? Have you been to the vet? What does your vet say?

pitgrrl
October 21st, 2006, 09:04 PM
I would say one of two things is going on, both of which require you to get to the vet to find out what is going on.

1-your dog is feeling sick and because there isn't grass available, he's licking stuff in the house. My dog does this, he licks anything and everything he can find, trys to eat any little threads etc. he can find.....
The point is, the dog is feeling ill and you need to figure out why with your vet.

2-you just have a licker and he's picking something up in your home that is making him ill. Again, this really isn't a good thing, lots of household cleaners are toxic if ingested, so again, you need to get to the vet.

rainbow
October 21st, 2006, 09:39 PM
I think you should take Logan to the vet for a check-up. Take a fresh urine sample with you and ask for a blood panel to be done. Good luck and please post with an update. :fingerscr

rainbow
October 25th, 2006, 02:21 AM
Did you take Logan to the vet? Do you have an update for us? :dog: :fingerscr

cpietra16
October 25th, 2006, 06:59 AM
When Winnie eats grass it's becasue she is sick to her stomach...about 1/2 hour after she eats the grass she throws up. If your dog keeps doing this without any result, like throwing up then you really a should take him to the vets...