Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

how to tame feral kittens?

Spatx
January 18th, 2010, 08:42 AM
Hi,

I know there are a number of you with experience in this, and was hoping for some information and links to help me out.

Last week I went back to the spot behind a plaza where someone had an area set-up for feral cats. I've been visiting this spot regularily since I found my orange kitten I fostered - who just got adopted today! I hadn't seen any cats until last week. It was sunny outside, so they were enjoying the nicer weather. I saw 2 cats and 5 kittens. I contacted the rescue I was fostering for, and yesterday one of the women went out there to take a look.

They got in contact with the couple that has been feeding these cats. It turns out there are about 30 cats in this colony, most of them intact females. The rescue has trapped two of the kittens, and they are coming to me later tonight. After she drops them off, she'll be going back behind the restaurant to try trap more cats.

So my questions are about how to work with feral kittens. Most of the kittens I've fostered have been tamed already, or were only mildly scared. One of these kittens by the sounds of it is deathly scared. Any advice on steps to take with them?

I have a pen I will be setting up later for them.

I still can't get my mind around the numbers, and the potential population explosion that could happen. Thank Dog I have continued to keep checking for kittens there.

14+kitties
January 18th, 2010, 02:39 PM
Strange no one has answered this yet. I will do the best I can to walk you through some steps.

Congrats on getting the other kitty adopted!! That is wonderful!! And thank you for being the :angel: and being instrumental in having this feral group looked after. You will be awarded many times over. :angel:

Are these ferals or semi ferals (semi ferals have some contact with humans)? How old do you estimate them to be? The older they are the harder they will be to try to tame. Not impossible. Just harder and time consuming. I have a few who are two, three, four years old that started life as ferals and they are coming along nicely. But they are one person kitties.

Having them in a small room gives them the opportunity to hide and observe you without you being able to interact with them. It is imperative you can interact with the kittens; not allow them to hide. Therefore keeping the kitten(s) in a large dog crate is the ideal thing to do for starters.Make sure the bars of the crate will not allow the kittens to escape through them. You can set them up with a litter box (which they will use hopefully), a small area with blankets and a space for food and water. Just a warning. Let them get settled a little before adding the water. It will get spilled, time and time again. krdahmer put a dish of water inside a plastic container so when Mickey spilled the water he didn't soak his whole crate.

For the first few hours once kitten(s) are set up do not pay any attention to them. Let them adjust to being in a house, watching you walk around, listening to the sound of the voices in the house. Make sure you do talk. It can be gibberish. They don't care. They are just getting used to listening to you. Moderate your tone. If you sometimes raise your voice then do so. If you speak in an average tone most times they need to know you won't always. Sometimes the first time you raise your voice it will undo a lot of the good that has been done. They will be very skittish for the first while. It's normal. Don't feel sorry for them and release them. You will never get them back.

Keep the dogs away from them at this point. They will be petrified and will not need the extra stress of dogs staring at them. You can worry about those intros much later.

After a few hours approach the crate quietly. Make sure you are on their level so they can see your eyes. Do not stare at them. Cats see this as a sign of aggression. Blink often and look away. You can even yawn to show you are no danger to them. Move your hands around the outside of the crate slowly. You will notice they will follow your hands with their eyes but will not move their bodies much. You can stay near the crate and speak in your normal voice for as long as you like. If you are lucky they will get curious and come over to see you. If not let them settle for the night.

The next morning you can open the crate and clean the litter box (which hopefully they have used and not their blankets), give them fresh food and water, and try to straighten their sleeping area. If they are going to be a breeze to tame by this point they will not back away from your hand. Let them smell your closed fist so they can get used to your scent. An outstretched hand may be an invitation for them to attack so a closed fist is preferable.

Some kittens will come immediately to you. Others will take some time. Do not attempt to pick them up right away. Give them a day or two to get used to the comings and goings in your home before attempting to pet them or pick them up. To aid the process you can play with them by using a wand type toy and waving it in front of them or slightly over their heads. Remember they are ferals. They don't know what toys are. But they should react to the toy moving near them. You can offer them small pieces of food from your fingers. Make sure it is a large enough piece they won't accidentally get your fingers. A strip of chicken is ideal.

The kittens will let you know when they are feeling brave enough to let you touch them. They may even come over to you. Don't pick them up right away as you want to. You can start by gently petting them, scratching behind their ears, under their chins, near the base of their tail. When they are comfortable with that you can try to gently pick them up. Do not show fear or hesitation. They will sense that and will not trust you as much.

A few things to look for and expect ... loud hissing, yeowling, inappropriate elimination, diarrhea from the new food. A few things to look forward to........ lots of purrs, lots of love and lots of happy kitties.

I have included an article that may be of use to you. I'm sure others will be along to help you or add to my information.

http://www.messybeast.com/feralkit.htm

kashtin's kin
January 18th, 2010, 03:17 PM
Well, hardcore/feral replies may not be pouring in yet...but now that you have a comprehensive post from 14+ :thumbs up, you're well on your way. At this point I can't add a great deal, apart from agreeing that each feral is unique, and thus all will take their own 'path' to trusting/bonding etc.

When I was starting to befriend 'my' 3 feral kittens (the adults took longer), I read somewhere that any kitten over some critical socialization age (think it may have been 6-8 weeks??) could never become at all domestic. Well, my little ferals were already about 3 mos. old...and they LOVE being housecats, i.e. KK's masters:rolleyes:!

So, just go with your instincts, and don't rush. Also, I know just how you feel regarding being somewhat daunted by the sheer numbers of cats/breeding potential :eek:. Just do what you can-and see what help you may be able to enlist? And don't forget, EVERY SINGLE cat/kitten you are able to help, s/n, etc. DOES make a big difference, so don't get discouraged.

Way to go, and let us know how the situation evolves, cat :angel:.

p.s. even 'my' 2 adult cats (one female, and one male), who were VERY wild, as in I could hardly catch a glimpse of them for long time, are now dedicated house lovers; the male is now half-lying on the keyboard, and licking my hand as I type...thanks Mini!! It took a while, but the experience was very rewarding (I guess I love being a feline slave??)!!

Spatx
January 18th, 2010, 04:18 PM
Thank-you very much 14+kitties, that was very helpful! :)

I don't know any details about the kittens yet, they will be coming here very soon. Once they are here and have a chance to settle, I'll see what they are like. They are at the vet getting vaccinated, then coming straight here any minute now.

chico2
January 18th, 2010, 04:26 PM
Spatx,I have nothing to add,between 14+ and KK,you got some great advice,I hope you will be able to take some pics of the little guys and that they are more semiferal than feral.
You are doing a wonderful thing:grouphug:

Spatx
January 18th, 2010, 04:56 PM
They arrived, and are very cute! Scared, obviously, but apparently the man who has been feeding the colony could pet the gray tabby boy. The rescue also said he was okay being handled, so he should turn around quicker. The other kitten is black/white, a female, and quite scared. Apparently she tried to bite a few times, so I'm going to be very careful with her.

They look to be about 3 months. Funniest thing is, they named the kittens Nala (female), and Nova (male).. Now I have 2 Nova's, lol.

The rescue has already captured one more kitten, they are out there right now with traps trying to get some of the adult cats as well.

14+kitties
January 18th, 2010, 10:19 PM
They arrived, and are very cute! Scared, obviously, but apparently the man who has been feeding the colony could pet the gray tabby boy. The rescue also said he was okay being handled, so he should turn around quicker. The other kitten is black/white, a female, and quite scared. Apparently she tried to bite a few times, so I'm going to be very careful with her.

They look to be about 3 months. Funniest thing is, they named the kittens Nala (female), and Nova (male).. Now I have 2 Nova's, lol.

The rescue has already captured one more kitten, they are out there right now with traps trying to get some of the adult cats as well.

Wonderful!! :highfive: Are you taking the third kitten as well? If it is a litter mate they will probably do better if they are all together.
The little grey guy will be a great one to play with so you can show the other one(s) that you are safe. Be careful of the teeth. They may be tiny but man they hurt!! My newest recruit is a biter. He managed to nail me good last week. Now I keep my hand as far back as possible from his mouth. :eek:
Three months is a good age. They should settle for you pretty quickly. I have not found many kitties who don't respond to love and attention.

Good luck. Keep us posted. And you know pics are a must, right? :D Thanks again for being an :angel: for these kitties. Great work on the rescue moving so quickly to start helping this group of cats. :thumbs up

hazelrunpack
January 18th, 2010, 11:01 PM
I've got no experience with kitties, feral or otherwise, but I do want to send some :goodvibes: for a quick transition for the newbies. Will the adults be released back to the colony once they're fixed or is it possible to tame the older ones, too?

Spatx
January 18th, 2010, 11:06 PM
I was asked if I can take the third, I said it would be fine and am waiting to hear back. The third is a gray tabby girl, said she is fairly easy to handle like the gray boy.

The black/white kitten has an eye infection and I have to give her eyedrops. Unfortunately this will probably put some strain on our relationship, as I can't take it as slow as I wanted to. I wore some thick leather gloves, and a good thing too - she bit my gloved hand a couple times. I didn't feel a thing (thank goodness my brother has workman's gloves!) I'm not sure how to approach this - I want to make progress and I don't want to traumatize her, but she needs her medication.

The gray boy is curious, and actually has come over to the front of the cage to sniff my hand a few times. He let me pet him - I think he'll start playing with me in no time. He already wants to pounce on wiggling toes :laughing:

Neither of them have eaten anything since yesterday, I'm hoping if I give them some quiet time alone they might have a snack. I'll have to monitor and see what I can do.

They caught 2 cats and 1 kitten tonight.

Spatx
January 18th, 2010, 11:10 PM
I've got no experience with kitties, feral or otherwise, but I do want to send some :goodvibes: for a quick transition for the newbies. Will the adults be released back to the colony once they're fixed or is it possible to tame the older ones, too?

The two adults they just caught are getting spayed tomorrow. I don't know whether they are releasing or going to try tame them. I haven't asked :)

kashtin's kin
January 19th, 2010, 12:03 AM
Wow, it's amazing how having an instant feral-ish :D family can infuse one's life with constant, um, excitement! Seriously, sounds like you're dealing great with things as they arise/develop...oh yeah, flexibililty :thumbs up is one great handy trait to have!! Having to treat the little gal eye-wise, is a bit of a challenge (when you've had no chance at all to bond, yet), but I'm sure that'll work out.

As for the kittens not eating...well, maybe they are by now, but if they take a bit of time to adjust, I wouldn't worry too much (tuna was my BEST friend when sloooowly luring my little feral family closer, over a few months; they were ALL very food-motivated-still are :rolleyes:). Whatever rescue you're working with/helping out, seem pretty organized etc. Good for them, and good for you :angel: :angel:.

You can see many of the critter and cat BB regs have checked in, so take some pics when you get a sec...but first things first, we're all out here, ready to encourage/help out-bottom line :). You're doing great, and are officially 'smitten with [feral] kittens' :cat:.

14+kitties
January 19th, 2010, 07:32 AM
I was asked if I can take the third, I said it would be fine and am waiting to hear back. The third is a gray tabby girl, said she is fairly easy to handle like the gray boy.

:highfive: WhooHoo!!!! Fun times!!!

The black/white kitten has an eye infection and I have to give her eyedrops. Unfortunately this will probably put some strain on our relationship, as I can't take it as slow as I wanted to. I wore some thick leather gloves, and a good thing too - she bit my gloved hand a couple times. I didn't feel a thing (thank goodness my brother has workman's gloves!) I'm not sure how to approach this - I want to make progress and I don't want to traumatize her, but she needs her medication.

Is there any way you could spend a couple of minutes before putting the drops in petting her and calming her down a little? Try holding her in you lap or better yet close to your chest so she can hear your heartbeat and feel your warmth. A bit of calming words and pets before and after administering the drops may go a long way toward her bonding with you. If you have to handle her anyway then it is probably best she is settled a bit before trying to put crap in her eye. I much prefer an ointment as it is easier to administer and you know you got it in the eye. The drops there is too much room for error if kitty moves. But that's just my preference.

The gray boy is curious, and actually has come over to the front of the cage to sniff my hand a few times. He let me pet him - I think he'll start playing with me in no time. He already wants to pounce on wiggling toes :laughing:

Neither of them have eaten anything since yesterday, I'm hoping if I give them some quiet time alone they might have a snack. I'll have to monitor and see what I can do.

I bet you will find the food will have disappeared during the night. That is when they will feel most comfortable. My newest eats at night too. In a couple of days they will be settled enough to go after the food when you feed them. Don't forget their diet is different with you than it was before. They have to recognize the fact that what you are giving them is food.

They caught 2 cats and 1 kitten tonight.

:thumbs up Great job!!! Sounds like they are pros!!!!

Spatx
January 19th, 2010, 10:43 AM
Had an adventure this morning - they escaped from the cage I had them in last night and I just spent the past hour tearing the room apart to get to them. Of course they find the most inconvenient spot! :laughing:

I got the gray one back fairly easily, sat with him for a little then put him back into the cage. The female took more effort, she managed to climb to the ceiling and I was standing on a chair baby-talking to her... I managed to get her, and luckily she didn't fight or hiss, no biting or scratching either :thumbs up. I also sat with her and calmed her down before putting her back.

I tried to fix the top of the pen, but they can probably still get out if they really try. I just called around to some stores and found one that sells a top to the pen - I'll be picking it up as soon as I can (store is about an hour away). Although I don't think I'll be able to go until Saturday when my dad is home from work. Guess I'll have to be creative in the meantime.

They did eat some food last night.

This is definitely a learning experience :)

14+kitties
January 19th, 2010, 11:24 AM
Ohh fun!! Have you got a large piece of cardboard around or a piece of plywood? You can put it over the top of the crate if that is where they are escaping from and use duct tape or packing tape to keep it in place. You can even put a blanket over the cardboard or plywood to help keep it in place and make the crate a bit more of a "den". That is what I had to do when I had TT,Chip and Dayle in their crate when they were babies. I had to do the sides of the crate the same way. They still managed to sneak out occasionally. Little beggars.
Good job on being able to handle the little girl without too much drama. I would think you have won most of the battle. From now on it should be gravy. :thumbs up

kashtin's kin
January 19th, 2010, 02:12 PM
The Great Cage Escape sounds awfully similar to my first day or so with my 2 female feral kittens (the boy was snagged a month or so earlier, the adults, a year or so later). I'd been thrilled :eek: to trap them in our back porch; after an hour or 2 of planning, and allowing the dust to settle, DH 'went in.'

He has a very centred, calming/Dr. Dolittle sort of personality, which is why he is assigned such tasks :rolleyes:. Without too much ado-albeit wearing gloves and a leather jacket-the 2 little mites were maneuvered into a cage, complete with litter box, food, etc. Yahoo:D.

Um, well, celebrated a bit too soon :o. When I checked on them about sometime later...one kitten was out. Thought the latch? or whatever was faulty, so DH did a shorter version of the 'into the cage' concept. Et voila-except, a bit later, the OTHER kitten was out :confused:!!

It was then that DH realized the bars of the cage must be just a hair! too far apart; indeed, back then, I had not yet understood the subtle? dog/cat cage differences, i.e. the closer bars for KITTENS. OOPS :eek:. In the case of those kittens, we simply decided to leave them loose in the safe back porch.

At our old farm, we had 2 enclosed porches/3 entrances (here, 1 porch/1 entrance!!); we stopped used the 'kitty porch', which was somewhat inconvenient, but worked great. Since that time, we've acquired 3 large CAT cages...but will alway remember those inexplicable :rolleyes: escapes, and the longterm Kitty Porch.

Apologies for the story-just a bit of a parallel. As FelinePro 14+ :) is on the job, I guess all that's left for me to do is entertain :o, and encourage; things do sound like they're going just fine, with the odd little 'tweak.' That's just the way these situations go :thumbs up!

edwina
January 19th, 2010, 04:47 PM
Tameing feral kittens does take pacience but its amazing how lovable and trusting they can become after being wild. I have taken in quite a few feral kittens over the years :rolleyes: and they have all become tame and loving. :)
Pacience and love. :cloud9:
Good luck with your kitten adventure. :thumbs up

14+kitties
January 19th, 2010, 09:24 PM
Hey Spatx. I just noticed you were in TO. Could you PM me the name of the rescue you are working with please? I'm curious. Thanks!!

Chris21711
January 20th, 2010, 09:06 AM
14k - Spatx lives in Richmond Hill....it's half way between TO and my place :)

Spatx
January 20th, 2010, 11:01 AM
I pm'd you the name and website 14+ :)

No escapes last night, and the kitties licked their bowls clean.. all of them including the water! They hadn't really eaten much since they were caught, so they must have been really hungry! They seem to be using the litterbox too - the girls had a few accidents and just peed herself, but hopefully when she gets more confident she'll copy the boy.

14+kitties
January 20th, 2010, 11:07 AM
Thanks Spatx! I just answered it. :D
Sounds like things are progressing well. The peeing will come.
Did you get the other kitten?

Spatx
January 20th, 2010, 11:16 AM
Not yet, I was busy yesterday (dentist appointment and fillings.. bleck!) I'm waiting to hear from them to see if she still needs a foster home, or if they have caught more of the kittens.

Spatx
January 21st, 2010, 02:36 PM
They caught a fourth kitten, the newest one is an orange/white, and he's coming here later today after being vetted.

The girl escaped the pen twice more, but I was able to get her down from the ceiling (we have ledges/beams in the basement) without any fighting. I moved them into a smaller cage until I can get a proper lid for the pen.

I had to clean the girl up today as well - she managed to get poop matted in her tail/rear end fur. She was an angel though, let me clean her with not even a single struggle :thumbs up

I moved their new cage into a different room with the tv and radio. Hopefully the extra noises and voices will help with getting them used to sounds and voices.

Chris21711
January 21st, 2010, 02:56 PM
You are doing a great job Spatx, you know we will need pics of the new guy don'tcha :D....what happened with the little gray kitten?

What exactly is wrong with the top of the crate you have, can you not lay something on the top to keep it from opening up?

hazelrunpack
January 21st, 2010, 02:59 PM
Sounds like things are going pretty well, give or take a few escapes. :D We definitely do need pics, Spatx! Please? :pray: :D You know if you don't post some, we'll have to whine...and you wouldn't want to listen to that, would you? :o

Spatx
January 21st, 2010, 03:49 PM
Chris : I'm using an Ex Pen for dogs - I bought it for Nova and Cody to use it during trials and camping. It's 4' x 4', so I can't really fit a board over top. I used a sheet pinned with clothespins for my first two fosters, and they never once escaped... but they weren't ferals either. I'm buying a top for it on the weekend (which I needed anyway since Nova can jump out of it to chase squirrels! Yes, her first camping experience we had to run around the woods searching for her. :rolleyes:)

The little gray girl is with a different foster parent right now. Apparently she is much younger than the three I have.

I will get pictures as soon as I can, I promise! :D

14+kitties
January 21st, 2010, 04:08 PM
Great job so far!! Sounds like things are moving along well. You are an angel taking the third one. Probably from the same litter. It's a miracle they've made it this far this winter. They must have a good hiding spot where they were. I am very happy your rescue is working so hard to catch all of the kitties. :cloud9:

Spatx
January 21st, 2010, 08:17 PM
OK - Photo time!

Nala, the escape artist! Her eyes are looking much better. She is hard to photograph, always facing into corners.
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4056/4294531590_76db5bab0c.jpg

New orange male kitty, don't know his name yet. He's scared and drowsy from his shots. Somebody tell him the litterbox isn't for sleeping in.. :p
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2794/4293789041_63b78c803c.jpg

Nova the tabby kitty. Still think it's funny they named him Nova. He has the most amazing large eyes - very expressive. He's the bravest of the three so far.
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4035/4294532354_ed84710071.jpg

ok, one more of Nova ;)
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4055/4294532958_7db6c01440.jpg

Chris21711
January 22nd, 2010, 09:29 AM
Chris : I'm using an Ex Pen for dogs - I bought it for Nova and Cody to use it during trials and camping. It's 4' x 4', so I can't really fit a board over top. I used a sheet pinned with clothespins for my first two fosters, and they never once escaped... but they weren't ferals either. I'm buying a top for it on the weekend (which I needed anyway since Nova can jump out of it to chase squirrels! Yes, her first camping experience we had to run around the woods searching for her. :rolleyes:)

My Daughter bought a collar for Iggy that reads "I do not chase squirrels"....apparently he doesn't know how to read :rolleyes:

The little orange guy is a cutie :lovestruck:....how about 'Ginger' for a name....I know really original :cool:......Nova the tabby, I love tabbies so she steals my heart :cloud9:

hazelrunpack
January 22nd, 2010, 09:46 AM
So cute, Spatx! :flirt: I see the newbie is pretty comfy around Nala...at least they share the litter box bed you've so kindly provided. :D So you think they might all be from the same litter?

Nova is surely a handsome dude, but I love Nala's little white moustache the best! :lovestruck:

Spatx
January 22nd, 2010, 10:07 AM
They are all the same size, caught in the same place - so there is a good probability they are siblings. The other kitten they caught was much smaller and younger, definitely from a different litter.

And last night Nova (the kitty) made me smile. He was trying sooo hard to play with the other two. They were ignoring him and Nala hissed at him. They aren't ready to play yet, but Nova wants to! I take that as an awesome sign that he is becoming comfortable here! He was making little meows, rolling around and swatting at their tails :laughing:

hazelrunpack
January 22nd, 2010, 10:11 AM
Aw, he sounds like a doll! :flirt: So why wouldn't the others play? Just cuz they're still not too comfortable in their new surroundings? (I know nuttin' 'bout kitties :o)

Spatx
January 22nd, 2010, 10:23 AM
Hazel, they won't play yet because they are still too scared from the transition from living outdoors, to being indoors. It's overwhelming for them at first with all the new noises, smells, environment, people, etc. to get used to. They aren't used to living in close proximity of humans, so it will take a little while until they are comfortable enough to 'let loose' a little. :D

kashtin's kin
January 23rd, 2010, 01:31 AM
Thanks for the pics...those kitties are tootoo cute :cat:! Sounds like things are going just fine-always interesting things to deal with :thumbs up. As 14+ noted, good work for the rescue, and lucky the wee things survived to make it to your place. They'll soon learn they've hit the jackpot :D!

rainbow
January 23rd, 2010, 01:51 AM
Awww, the kittens are adorable. :cloud9:

The orange & white one is my fave cuz I love nose splotches. :lovestruck:

What about naming him Nemo (he was orange) and then you'd have three "N" names. :D

14+kitties
January 23rd, 2010, 06:22 AM
I would be willing to bet that when it is quiet at night the kittens will all be playing together. You are right. They are scared and unsure right now. That's why the orange sweetie is in the litter box. It's a security thing. I can't remember one of mine after being trapped that didn't go into the box. Orbit used it for probably two weeks. He is a love bug now and he was much older when he was caught. :cloud9:
Kitties are so cute!! I love all of them. They have such expressions of curiousity in their eyes. Like they want to see everything at once. Have you tried any one on one with them yet? I mean besides rescuing Nala from the ceiling and giving her meds. :D Maybe take some time then to introduce her to a string or feather to play with.

chico2
January 23rd, 2010, 09:08 AM
OMG Spatz,cuteness overload:lovestruck::cloud9:
I am so glad you have them,they might be scared now,but unlike so many others out there,they probably will have a good secure life,depending on the adopters:fingerscr
These little guys are such innocents fully dependant on humans,thank's to your rescue and you for saving their lives:grouphug:
By the way,you take wonderful pics!

Spatx
January 23rd, 2010, 09:34 AM
I actually got both Nala and Nova playing with one of those cat wands last night. :cloud9: Nova was playing with it, then she decided to come check it out since he was having so much fun.

They have stopped sleeping in the litterbox. They discovered the comfy bed I put in there and have decided it's a much better place! Nala is now using the litterbox, no more peeing/pooping on herself. She's started spending time grooming herself now as well. She's coming along nicely.

I like the name Nemo for the orange kitty. Goes with the 'N' theme, haha! He won't play yet while I'm around, but he's the newbie still. I'm sure he'll start in no time and copy the other two. I'll be happy once I get the lid for the playpen later today. It'll give me a chance to be able to sit down with them and see if they are brave enough to come over to me on their own. I should be able to play with them better as well.

It's amazing how each little improvement makes you smile. They are doing very well for their first week, and are on the right track. I need to take new photos today :lovestruck:

hazelrunpack
January 23rd, 2010, 02:27 PM
What a great report! Must be so much fun to watch them open up day-by-day! :cloud9: Looking forward to the new pics! :D

Spatx
January 24th, 2010, 03:02 PM
Okay, more pics! ;)

I wasn't able to get one of Nala last night.. I'm going to try again tonight when I spend some time with them. She wasn't feeling too brave, but I was playing with Nova and got Nemo a little interested in the feathers.

Nemo

Nom.. Nom.. (on Nova's tail of course, haha)
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2712/4301590466_233f49dbc6.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4047/4300837603_48a8e81046.jpg

Nova being a cutie :cloud9:
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4044/4300838559_146825df17.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4005/4300839461_c1eda84b71.jpg

chico2
January 24th, 2010, 03:36 PM
OMG Spatx,they just make your heart go fluttering,little Nova is just incredibly cute,not that Nemo isn't too,but little Tabby-kittens just get to me,he has huge beautiful eyes.
Wish you could keep one(or two)so we could see them grow up:lovestruck:

14+kitties
January 26th, 2010, 02:46 PM
OMGosh!! Those kitties are soooooo cute!!!!
I just thought that I could give you a gentle reminder (push) for an update please. :D How are they doing? Are they playing with you yet? Settled any? Letting you snuggle with them? :D

Spatx
January 26th, 2010, 04:09 PM
They are all playing with each other and I have since given them a cat tree in their pen.. They LOVE it!

I can play with the cat wand with them, and they are now comfortable enough to eat and play while I'm around... but definitely not ready to snuggle... got the message yesterday night when Nova turned around and bit me on the finger... ouch!

Was an interesting event! :rolleyes: I had a headache all day with dizziness, and couldn't sleep so I was up at 2am by myself when I got bit... and the site of my blood with the headache and everything I fainted in my kitchen. :o I'm fine, the bite is sore, but no redness or swelling at all. Keeping an eye on it just in case, but compared to previous bites by rodents and dogs.. this one is healing super nicely!

They are not ready yet to approach me or accept pets, but that will come with time. How can I not want to pet the cuties? :D

Spatx
January 26th, 2010, 05:21 PM
And of course.. more photos! Just took these while I was sitting in the playpen with them. :)

Nemo is completely unsure of hands, he wouldn't come near me. Nova decided to be very brave, he walked over and sniffed my hands and legs, checked out my toes, and tried to eat the camera :laughing: Nala was unsure, but eventually came out of the corner and sat beside me eating some food.

Nala
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4008/4307109183_0b3008154d.jpg
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4068/4307851430_bf1a787914.jpg
Nova
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4068/4307852094_a2f2a56959.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2689/4307854412_b61487c906.jpg
Nemo
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4032/4307852944_258a26f45b.jpg
Peekaboo!
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4047/4307853550_6c49244516.jpg

Jim Hall
January 26th, 2010, 06:05 PM
have they wanted out yet?

rainbow
January 27th, 2010, 01:44 AM
Sounds like they are getting braver and braver every day. :thumbs up

I sure would have a hard time resisting Nemo if I lived back there. :cloud9:

chico2
January 27th, 2010, 12:11 PM
OMG,OMG I think I am going to have to take them all(I wish:()adorable:lovestruck:

14+kitties
January 27th, 2010, 10:23 PM
Ohhhhhhh Myyyyyyyyy Goshhhhhh!! They are soo sweet!! You can see how much they want to figure out what is going on. Adorable!! :cloud9: I would be right in the middle of them never wanting to leave. :lovestruck: Nemo........ love his little nose freckles. All three of them are too cute!
Ummm, you need to stop fainting. Not a good thing to do at all.

Spatx
January 28th, 2010, 08:42 AM
I haven't fainted in over 15 years, not since I was about 8 I think.. so it was pretty scary. I don't want it to happen again .

Nemo right now is the one who won't go near me, and wants to kill my hand if it goes near him.. Not sure what to do. Nala is doing very well, she let me pick her up yesterday and pet her. I put her down after a few minutes, and she decided it wasn't so bad. Nova doesn't mind me petting him, but doesn't want to be held. I want to cuddle them so bad, but they're not ready yet. Trying to move in stages to get them used to everything.

Spatx
January 28th, 2010, 11:22 AM
Nala was sitting on my lap purring, her very first purrs :cloud9:

Tundra_Queen
January 28th, 2010, 12:45 PM
Oh, they are so adorable! I want Nova..I love the grey and white ones but have yet to be owned by one. *S* He is so pretty!!

I hope your hand heals quickly and please no more fainting.