Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Why are some pet owners not cleaning up after their pet!

norm258
January 17th, 2010, 04:45 PM
I went to Conroy Pit here in Ottawa this weekend. It's an off-leash park that has a lot of acreage for the dogs to run and socialize.

I was appalled by the number of dog poop piles just left there and not picked up by the dog owners. The park offers bags to use and garbage cans to dispose of it in but some owners figure they don't have to do this?!? I guess it was most obvious because of the snow.

Is there ever a good reason not to pick up after your pet? My wife has actually come home from a walk, gotten a bag, and gone back out to pick up a pile when she forgot the bags.

These lazy pet owners give all pet owners a bad name - I would say most of us are conscientious and always pick up after them.

Sorry, ranting is done now... :)

Norm

hazelrunpack
January 17th, 2010, 05:10 PM
I hear ya, Norm. :grouphug: When we lived in the city there were a lot of people who ignored the pooper-scooper ordinance. It was very frustrated for exactly the reason you gave...it gives pet owners, even the conscientious ones, a bad rep. Plus I was getting tired of having to clean up after other people's dogs that left deposits in my front yard. :frustrated:

But it's hard to get irresponsible pet owners to shape up because they're...well...irresponsible. :shrug: Unless you catch them in the act, it's hard to do anything about the problem.

Spatx
January 17th, 2010, 05:40 PM
Were having a problem here with the new off-leash park. People are just being so freaking lazy and not bothering to pick-up. It's making a huge mess for the volunteers to deal with, and it isn't fair. It's against the law, and a health hazard - not to mention gross. I wish people would respect the rule and pick-up after their pets. There is no reason you shouldn't.

hazelrunpack
January 17th, 2010, 06:01 PM
Shortly before we left the city, they opened a new dog park. But it's an attended one--they had enough volunteers so that most of the daylight hours, at least, had someone there to enforce the rules. :shrug: Takes a lot of people to cover all the shifts, though, so you'd need a large pool of civic-minded residents to make it work.

Luvmypitgirls
January 18th, 2010, 12:50 AM
I'm having an issue with folks walking their dogs along the green belt behind my fence, leaving piles of dog poo everywhere!
I get so frustrated, and I'm getting sick of cleaning it up, but I know if I don't nobody else will.:mad:

Melinda
January 18th, 2010, 06:43 AM
I have only a few neighbours, 3 of us use the bike path to walk our large dogs....I'm the only one to pick up after my dog, I once offered her a bag when her dog decided to use my front yard for his toilet, she proceeded to yell at me that she always cleans up after her dog while she used her foot to bury it in snow, when my husband, in front of our daycare said "ummm thats not picking it up, we have children who play here" she started cursing him out using the "c" word, the "f" word all the while my daughter and I were trying to get the children inside so they wouldn't here, man she just flipped right out, :offtopic:on a side note, she uses a full large can of raid...not "off" but raid on and around her dog daily while they walk, she just continues to spray it around her dog while she walks.....ask GG, this woman is a real piece of work. Ok, so thats my rant also.....dumb people.

Macomom
January 18th, 2010, 06:44 AM
When I am at the park with 3 of my 4 dogs, I mention to the group of strangers, if you see my dog go, give me a shout. Only because my measly human eyes can only rotate so far...
It works well and someone will let me know.
Additionally, sometimes in a large park it is hard to find "your" pile. so my rule is, if you can't find it, pick up someone elses. :) Makes me feel better to know I was at least cleaning the park.

Etown_Chick
January 19th, 2010, 09:11 PM
norm
people are like that everywhere, and it sickens me. Our little park is a veritable 'waste'land right now and will be until we volunteers have our spring clean up :yuck:
We've managed to shame a few into doing it, but I think it's a problem that is never going to be solved.

angeldogs
January 19th, 2010, 09:43 PM
Thats one of the reasons i stopped going to the dog park.felt like i was in a mine field trying to watch were you step.maybe some day when their dog feels the need to leave a scent it will be right on top of a pile and the will get the hint to pickup after their dog

cassiek
January 20th, 2010, 02:03 AM
Ugh, this is so frustrating! :frustrated:

I have especially been noticed the lack of pooping-scooping lately as the ice/snow is all melting and it's all starting to appear! :yuck::yuck::yuck:

Sucks too cause I have heard of off-leash parks being shut down as they are not being taken care of. :wall:

I also find it so so so frustrating when people actually take the bag, scoop the poop, but then leave it on the ground... um... really? You can't carry it the extra 10 feet to the garbage can? :yell:

Sigh.

Dog Dancer
January 20th, 2010, 03:41 PM
You know, nowadays people are so strange that even if I see somebody leaving their deposits behind I'm afraid to confront most of them. I agree that it gives us all a bad name though. The minute my dogs squat I pull out a bag so that everyone who wants to look can see that I intend to clean it up. My girls hate walking into a pile of poop (as do I), and will actually jump over it if they come across one on their walks. It's disgusting and I do agree that it seems to be worse with the snow. People think it will just melt in and disappear. Last year I was climbing four foot snowbanks because Shadow has to poop at the top! But sadly thoughtless and irresponsible people will likely always be thoughtless and irresponsible people.

BenMax
January 20th, 2010, 05:11 PM
Going through the same thing here. I carry extra bags to pick up 'their' poop as I feel guilty being a dog owner..:frustrated: it just gives us all a bad 'name'.

I do call people out when they don't pick up. I politely offer them a bag. Sometimes I will stand there with my dog and watch....and they will reluctantly 'bend over'. Ha.

But what they don't realize is that bacterial and viral infections can affect other people's dogs. They have no idea how dangerous this can be. I have contacted our condo administration and asked permission for them to hand out to every condo owner a newsletter on this subject. I think stating that people also can be fined may help this dirty situation.

Thanks for bringing up this topic.

muggsmom
January 21st, 2010, 11:58 AM
We live out in the boonies, surrounded by cows, horses, coyotes, etc, and I still pick up after Muggs! We don't have a dogpark, but there are signs in town about the bylaws - Off leash -$200 fine, Not picking up - $2,000 fine. I can honestly say that in 2 years I've never seen a pile left behind. Obviously hitting 'em where it hurts works around here!