Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What is the best dry cat food?

KUKI
August 27th, 2004, 03:25 PM
I've been using IAMS products for quite sometime until I heard about the issue on animal cruelty in the company. So I stopped using the brand. Please give me some suggestions for excellent dry cat foods that I can introduce my cat to. I'm from Canada so I might not find some of the american brands here but just please try your best to list me some. Thanks :)

BamaRama
August 27th, 2004, 03:38 PM
I use Science Diet Nature's best for my cats. They LOVE it. :)

heidiho
August 27th, 2004, 03:38 PM
Both bad..............

coonlover
August 27th, 2004, 03:40 PM
Why do you say they are bad? My cat eats science diet, now im worried :confused:

heidiho
August 27th, 2004, 03:42 PM
When i first came here i thought those were good to,but it is all about the ingredients,and those to have some bad ones,i didnt have cat i had a dog,and i put him on solid gold.......

chico2
August 27th, 2004, 03:56 PM
Well,we have discussed this subject before several times,Iams,Science Diet,Eukanuba not recommended,Iams we know why,but before you buy any food,check the ingredients.There should be no corn or cornmeal,or chicken by-products etc...
Personally I buy"Chicken-soup-for-cat-lovers-soul"excellent ingredients,but Wellness,Nutro healthy Choice,Eagle Brand,there are plenty more just cannot think of it at the moment.
These are all available here in Canada,I believe Wellness and Eagle Brand to be the most expensive.Not available in any grocerystores,can only be bought in Petfood-places
But a bag of cat-food lasts a long time,giving your cat some wet food,is a good idea,my 3 cats share a small can between them 2 times a day and the dry food and fresh water is there for them 24/7.
I believe it will be cheaper in the long run to feed your cat good quality food,save on vet-bills in the future.

Princesss04
August 27th, 2004, 04:01 PM
I need to go and see if they have any of those down here in US. I know they have them there but I need to see about here. :D

Spoiled
August 27th, 2004, 04:06 PM
Another thing about Science Diet: I sent them emails asking what was in the meat meal in the dog and cat food they make, and they tried to change the topic and avoid answering my questions.

Solid Gold is a great kind of pet food. Eagle Pack is good, too, and I'm sure if you look at your pet store you'll find one.

coonlover
August 27th, 2004, 05:26 PM
Ok so i will switch my cat food, but the last time i changed her food she vomitted for a few days, is this normal? I changed it because the ppl who had her before me were feeding her the cheapest no name food you could get... smart choice from price choppers so I thought science diet would be better.. but I will change her again, should i expect her to vomit?

chico2
August 27th, 2004, 06:20 PM
Coonlover(me too :D )you do a gradual switch,mix the old with the new,less and less of the old stuff until her/his system is completly used to it.
My cats are kind of picky,I tried Wellness(a trial bag)they did not like it and cats have been known to starve themselves rather than eat what they don't like.At the beginning I had three different dry foods for three cats :eek: but all three of them like the Chicken-soup-for-catlovers-soul,it's from Texas and should be available in the US,right??
Paul Newman has dry cat-food out,also very good ingredients and the procedes go to shelters and other animal-projects.A picture of him and his daughter is on the bag.
I've heard Royal Canin is good,but the ingredients are not IMO...lots of cornstuff :eek:

coonlover
August 27th, 2004, 06:28 PM
Thank you, I'm off to the pet food store first thing in the morning. :)

iRONKNiGHT
August 27th, 2004, 07:39 PM
coonlover & KUKI i think you guys should take a look at this Thread
Vote Your Favorite Kitten Food
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=6624
even tho it's for kittens it surely set's you on the right track

Personaly i'd go with "Wellness" http://www.omhpet.com
you can get it in almost any petshop in Canada..

this is NOT a "Wet" brand like "chicken soup for the pet lovers soul"
which is a good brand .. just make sure to have "dry treat's to aid in Tartar Control..

BamaRama
August 27th, 2004, 10:18 PM
Hmm. The Science diet stuff I'm talking about is new--it's made from all vegetable ingredients. Not sure on the cornmeal though. I'll have to go and check.

iRONKNiGHT
August 28th, 2004, 12:10 AM
Hmm. The Science diet stuff I'm talking about is new--it's made from all vegetable ingredients. Not sure on the cornmeal though. I'll have to go and check.

I am veggie but i wont deny my 4 months 3weeks old kitten MEAT!

Kittens are strict carnivores and need the nutrients found in animal protein sources. Proteins provide amino acids necessary for energy and tissue growth. Sufficient amounts of taurine help cats maintain healthy eyes, heart and reproductive organs.

BamaRama
August 28th, 2004, 07:42 AM
lol. My cats get meat too, don't worry. They absolutely love the Whiskas packages of the real beef in juices. It's Gonzo's favorite. Elmo, meh, he'll eat whatever, but Gonzo is VERY particular about his wet food.

chico2
August 28th, 2004, 07:57 AM
Knight,"Chicken-soup-for-catlovers-soul"is DRY food,I've never seen it in wet,canned food.
Mine are eating Fancy Feast cans,which is not the best,but the only canned they like,however they only eat about a tbsp each twice a day and eat CSFPS dry the rest of the day and they are in great shape,not overweight.
I am going to look for CSFPS,in cans.
I am of the firm belief,cats like us,need a little variety not the same old,same old all the time.Yes,some people will say my cats are pampered and yes they are,we WHUV them :D
I pay $14.99+15% tax for a 6lbs bag of CSFPS,Wellness is about $10 more for the same size,I would buy it if the liked it,but they don't...

sujean
August 28th, 2004, 08:44 PM
i have 4 cats and i changed to Nutro about a month ago. I have noticed a significant improvement in their coats (silkier and less shedding!)

I also noticed my "sweet fat cat" has lost weight on this food.

I have less incidents of hair ball pukies

they eat less b/c they are full-no fillers (lol, like the beer commercial, less filling, tastes great!)

and lastly, they love the taste!!

Catt31
August 29th, 2004, 10:49 AM
My cats use Nutro too! I also mix in some Eagle Pack weight management as they are getting older and less active. They love it and their coats are shiny and healthy and there is less poop!!!

shihtzulover
August 30th, 2004, 07:20 AM
My 2 cats are sooo picky,they will not eat any food that is somewhat good for them, they hated Chicken Soup for the cat lovers soul, and any other good food I have bought them. They will only eat Friskies Dental Diet- which I know is not the best, but I don't know how to make them eat anything else. They will not eat canned food or people food at all.
My female was a stray (5 years ago) and she is the one that decideds what they eat, If she won't eat something my male won't eat it either. Which sucks because the male is way over weight and I want him to eat food for fat cats, and she is very very skinny and I want to fatten her up. Its a never ending food battle in my house. But I guess I will continued to give them what makes them happy. :)

KUKI
August 30th, 2004, 01:06 PM
I found a brand called "Natural Balance Ultra-Premium Dry Cat Food" and the ingredients are so healthy for the cat. I made sure that there's definitely no corn meal or chicken by-products. If you guys are interested about this product check-out http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com

Oh yeah one more thing, do you think it's bad if you don't feed the cat wet food at all?

My cat's breath smells more if he eats wet food.

iRONKNiGHT
August 30th, 2004, 01:30 PM
Natural Balance is VERY good!! :) if you can find it :/
my neighbour uses it :) and his 4 cat's look Outstanding!!