Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Post colonoscopy behavior

mollysmomma
January 16th, 2010, 05:30 PM
Hi everyone,
My cat came home yesterday after having a colonoscopy. She seems to be coming around, but seems to be having some issues using the litter box. She meows before going in, will go in and scratch around, and will also meow while in the box. She has had a bowel movement, but her behavior is not normal for her.
Is there any other owners who have had a cat go through a colonoscopy? Did you experience any behavior changes especially related to litter box behavior? The vet said that she would not be in any pain, but I'm concerned.

Thanks!
Sharon

Dr Lee
January 23rd, 2010, 02:56 AM
When there have been devices and flushing "up there", that area tends to feel "strange." It can make the pet feel like she needs to go to the bathroom when they do not. Also the underlying reasons for the colonoscopy may also add to the colon's sensitivity. If the signs persist, I would recommend talking to your veterinarian. Depending upon what is going on, there may be some simple nutritional supplements or medications that can help her feel normal again.

How is she doing otherwise? Why did she have the colonoscopy?:pawprint:

Love4himies
January 23rd, 2010, 10:06 AM
As Dr. Lee suggested, take her back to the vet for a check up if this persists. I have personally had a colonoscopy and one of the risks is a puncture from the "device" (don't know the name of it) used to take pictures and biopsies. I had no pain afterwards, however some people have issues with the gas that is inserted to expand the colon for ease of movement of the device through the colon for a few hours afterward.