Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Suggestions on something for Anxiety

Winston
January 15th, 2010, 09:12 PM
Hey all just looking for some input or suggestions.

We will be travelling in February skiing and we are taking Winston along. He has generally been very well behaved in the past but there is always the anxiety that he has. He settles well in the car but usually once we arrive he sticks to us like glue and is a bit stressed...heavy panting etc.

He is a bit older now since we have taken him and I am not so worried about him being destructive or anything but I am looking to see what there is to relax him. We always bring his things from home (bed, toys etc) we have not crated Winston in about 6 yrs and dont really think that would go over to well. He can be very vocal when he is upset and th elast time he was crated he managed to escape from the crate and destroy it trying to get out!

I dont know if resuce remedy would work or if I need to make a visit to the vet ? has anyone travelled and had a pet that shows this anxiety? if so have you found something that works?

Frenchy
January 15th, 2010, 09:15 PM
Rescue remedy would work but ... not all dogs get results on it. There's also Valerian (natural remedy) or baby gravol ?

Winston
January 15th, 2010, 09:18 PM
Frenchy have you used any of these? Do they make them sleepy? because ideally I would like for him to just take it easy and sleep? We will make sure we trry to tire him out but he is so freaking smart he knows what we plan for him! :laughing:

hazelrunpack
January 15th, 2010, 09:18 PM
If you aren't averse to a pharmaceutical solution, Xanax (Alprazolam) works well. We used it with Ember when he broke his tail--the first few days it hurt so bad when he lay down that eventually he became unwilling to lie down at all. So we tried alprazolam at half the suggested dose and it really settled him down. It takes the edge off at that dose without knocking him out.

Winston
January 15th, 2010, 09:19 PM
Hazel is that an OTC drug? or would I need to see the vet?

Maybe I could try it here to see how he is on it??

Frenchy
January 15th, 2010, 09:21 PM
I've only tried the rescue remedy , when there was thunderstorms .... didn't work here with any of my dogs but I do know it works for some.

Maybe thunder is louder in the boonies :p

hazelrunpack
January 15th, 2010, 09:21 PM
It would be a prescription from your vet, but if people meds are cheaper, it's the same drug used in humans and you could fill the prescription at a regular pharmacy.

Winston
January 15th, 2010, 09:23 PM
I have heard a few people say that it didnt really work?? Winston is over 100 pounds too so I am not sure if that would make a difference?

Frenchy do you have lots of snow up there? Were heading your way for our ski trip! :thumbs up

Frenchy
January 15th, 2010, 09:38 PM
Frenchy do you have lots of snow up there? Were heading your way for our ski trip! :thumbs up

Hurry up cuz it's melting ! It was about 0*C today :crazy:

when and where ? will you have time to visit ?

Winston
January 15th, 2010, 09:44 PM
Well not till later in February?? Not sure about the visiting cause DH still hasnt recovered from our almost trek throgh fields to get to LP's that time! :eek: how far away are you from Mont Tremblant?

Frenchy
January 15th, 2010, 09:55 PM
how far away are you from Mont Tremblant?

2 1/2 hours / 3 hours :(

Frenchy
January 15th, 2010, 09:56 PM
You should go ski in Vermont NY :lightbulb: much closer to my house :p

hazelrunpack
January 15th, 2010, 10:02 PM
You could come to Hazel Run and try your hand at Leaf Hauler Sledding :o :laughing: The newest Olympic sport! :laugh:

Frenchy
January 15th, 2010, 10:02 PM
:laughing:

competing with 8 setters ! :laughing:

HelenNutmeg
January 15th, 2010, 10:34 PM
http://www.entirelypets.com/dapdog.h...Bng73bPkApglVT

Dog Appeasing Pheromone (DAP)
Dog Appeasing Pheromone (DAP)Dog Appeasing Pheromone (DAP)

Dog Appeasing Pheromone (DAP) mimics the properties of the natural pheromones to reduce or eliminate stress in dogs of all ages. Dog Appeasing Pheromone has a relaxing effect for both the young and adults dogs. It is an effective natural way to help your dog cope with new and fearful situations such as fireworks, thunderstorms, holiday stress, traveling or moving to a new environment.