Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Man in Ontario mauled by tiger

Dog Dancer
January 14th, 2010, 03:54 PM
Okay, so you probably saw the story of the Ontario man who was killed by his "pet" tiger. The article I read said the Province had tried to remove his wild cats, but he challenged them in court and won the right to keep them. So, while I am very sad that he was killed by his tiger, it just makes me shake my head that he's allowed to have tigers, but people can't have pit bulls??? Does the world not make you want to shake your head sometimes?? Now don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to start a fight or huge discussion, just something makes me shake my head.

Winston
January 14th, 2010, 03:57 PM
Dog Dancer!

Does the world not make you want to shake your head sometimes??

How true this statement is! I am sure its not the only ridiculous law that we have on the books either!

BenMax
January 14th, 2010, 05:18 PM
Something is definately screwed up over there. I understand that he was previously injured by the tiger before as well.

Do I feel sorry for him - not really. I feel very badly however for the tiger that will more than likely be euthanized.

So no pitties but wild cats ok? Yep - that makes sense.:rolleyes::wall:

Dog Dancer
January 14th, 2010, 05:56 PM
Apparently, the story said, he had the tiger out of the pen a few years ago so that a 10 year old boy could be photographed with the tiger and the tiger mauled the boy. The boy did survive the attack.

At this time, the tiger and some other exotics he had, are still alive. Hopefully they will be sent to a sanctuary (in a perfect world) to live out the rest of their lives.

But yeah :wall: own a tiger, not a pittie.

cassiek
January 15th, 2010, 01:08 AM
Stories like these really piss me off. To be perfectly honest, I think anyone who decides to keep a wild animal that belongs in the wild deserves to be mauled to death. These are wild animals after all... even with our own feline and canine companions it is still important to remember that although they are domesticated they are still animals and they have instincts. Sigh. :(

And the unfortunate thing here is that these animals always become the victims and are usually euthanized.

General members of the public should not be allowed to keep wild animals... they lack the proper facilities, education, and information to keep these animals in captivity and as such these type of incidents occur! Let's keep wild animals in the wild!

Sigh.

clm
January 16th, 2010, 06:34 AM
I remember all the hoopla about this guy when that kid got mauled a while ago. Apparently what is going to happen to this tiger is now up to his family and his family have every right to continue to keep these animals. I hope they have the good sense to rehome all these big cats to zoos.
I know the neighbours are now going to petition to have this place closed down again. Lets hope they win this time. I wouldn't want to have them for neighbours. I love big cats, but would not want to find one that escaped sitting in my back yard. I had no doubt when the first incident happened that this fellow really loved these animals and thought he was doing well by them, but unless you can give them the same kind of space, attention and vet care that a large zoo can give them, then you have no business owning them IMO.

clm

lUvMyLaB<3
January 17th, 2010, 07:06 AM
I assume this man was not surprised and probably always wonderd if thats the way he would die. . Keeping and wild animal, especialy a large one, and a predator is wrong imo. They are not ours to lock up just to make our ego bigger. I understand doing the absolute best for a captive animal when it cant be returned but there should be a very high standard of care. Getting one as a cool pet is selfish and sick, i dont like zoos either. This could not have surprised this man and those that know him, i hope it serves a warning to others.