Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Haiti

bendyfoot
January 14th, 2010, 09:15 AM
It's absolutely devastating what's happened to that country - I can't even begin to imagine...
my old coworker is from Haiti...he's got family and many friends there, and hasn't heard from anyone...
it's so heartbreaking.
I'm not the praying type, but my thoughts are definitely with everyone who has been affecting by this tragedy. :candle:

BenMax
January 14th, 2010, 09:20 AM
Absolutely horrific.

I am the praying type and I will continue to do so for these people and the animals.

ancientgirl
January 14th, 2010, 09:45 AM
It's just tragic. Haiti is one of those countries with very poor infrastructure, and now to have this happen, it's just devastating.

rainbow
January 14th, 2010, 03:02 PM
Yes, I agree ....with all it's other problems, it's certainly something that Haiti didn't need. :(

:pray: :grouphug: :candle: for all involved.

Dog Dancer
January 14th, 2010, 03:03 PM
It is so very sad. They are in my thoughts and prayers.

Winston
January 14th, 2010, 03:06 PM
They are in my thoughts an prayers too! I also wanted to say how awesome it is that MANY countries have sent AID!!! :thumbs up

TeriM
January 15th, 2010, 02:13 AM
What an absolutely horrible situation :(. Even those people who survived the quake might die because there is such limited medical care and basic necessities available. I plan to make a donation and am just reviewing the various charities to see who I wish to support. I like red cross but I think so many people use them that perhaps some others might have more need :shrug:.

Chris21711
January 15th, 2010, 09:38 AM
So terribly sad :(...seeing photos in the paper of little kids sitting around completely bewildered is heartbreaking :(

I also wanted to say how awesome it is that MANY countries have sent AID!!! :thumbs up

I too think it is awesome Winston, but a lot more could have been done for this country in the last few decades. Being so close to nations such as Canada and the USA, I find it incredulous that this Nation lived in such poverty :yell:

rainbow
January 15th, 2010, 01:31 PM
So terribly sad :(...seeing photos in the paper of little kids sitting around completely bewildered is heartbreaking :(

I too think it is awesome Winston, but a lot more could have been done for this country in the last few decades. Being so close to nations such as Canada and the USA, I find it incredulous that this Nation lived in such poverty :yell:

That is so true. :(

And, they just announced this morning that the number of Canadians missing is 1415. :(

aslan
January 15th, 2010, 01:33 PM
i heard yesterday that Brad and angelina donated a million dollars and that Royal Caribean cruise line was sending a few of their ships there, as they were stocked with provisions but weren't running an actual cruise at the time.

just heard that aid groups aren't being allowed in yet for some stupid reason.

rainbow
January 15th, 2010, 01:43 PM
Yep, I heard that too and the aid isn't getting distributed to the people that need it either. :( :wall:

Macomom
January 15th, 2010, 01:46 PM
Check out http://www.cineinstitute.com/news/.
This is a film school which was founded by North American professors who were teaching film to local Haitian artists.
These film makes have dug their cameras out of the rubble and are filming on the ground, from a Haitian perspective.

It is interesting.

ancientgirl
January 15th, 2010, 01:57 PM
I heard there's a lot of stupid red tape garbage going on. Ships being held because of customs issues and such.

Give me a break! It's an emergency! Throw the rules out the window and let those people with aid get in there and help!

Chaser
January 15th, 2010, 02:33 PM
NOT to discount human suffering...which is more heartbreaking than I have the words for...

But just wanted to mention that I follow Best Friends/Dogtown on Facebook and they are, of course, making plans for animal rescue :thumbs up

Melinda
January 15th, 2010, 02:37 PM
i heard yesterday that Brad and angelina donated a million dollars and that Royal Caribean cruise line was sending a few of their ships there, as they were stocked with provisions but weren't running an actual cruise at the time.

just heard that aid groups aren't being allowed in yet for some stupid reason.

it was on cnn that they can't let them in because there is no airplane fuel to allow them to leave afterwards and there are planes stuck on the only runway available so there is no where to land the planes with aid supplies...there is a warning out to all planes coming in that they have to land "heavy", meaning , carrying enough fuel to get them out again.

aslan
January 15th, 2010, 02:38 PM
the news report i was talking about melinda wasn't just planes, boats too, as AG said political red tape..they have a ship sitting there with the doctors from doctors without borders on board and they aren't being allowed off the boat.

luckypenny
January 15th, 2010, 05:04 PM
What an absolutely horrible situation :(. Even those people who survived the quake might die because there is such limited medical care and basic necessities available. I plan to make a donation and am just reviewing the various charities to see who I wish to support. I like red cross but I think so many people use them that perhaps some others might have more need :shrug:.

Here are three lists of organizations (provided by CNN, CBC, CTV). Considering medical attention and food/clean water is a priority, I think Doctors Without Borders is where I will start.

For those thinking of helping, an example... if 5$ is donated per person in Canada, over 165M can be raised to offer immediate assistance.

Also, it's worth noting that when making online donations, a percentage may be deducted for service fees. Making out a check (with Haitian Relief on the memo line) to a registered charity will insure more of your dollars will get to where it's needed.

http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2007/impact/

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2010/01/13/f-emergency-contacts-haiti-relief-aid.html

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20100113/help_haiti_100113/20100113/

cassiek
January 16th, 2010, 09:54 AM
My prayers and thoughts are with the people of Haiti and all of their friends and family in such a terrible tragedy.

I also pray political issues do not continue to keep these people from receiving the care and aid they require at this very critical time! This is an extremely poor country that will require alot of help from all countries, not only now in the aftermath of this disaster, but for many, many years to come as they attempt to re-build their country which quite literally has been flattenned.

I also agree with Chris21711, that it is nothing sort of bewildering that this country lives in such terrible conditions when it is located so close to some of the richest countries in the world. Even its neighbour, the DR, is becoming a very stabilized country that is seeing a gradual improvement in the people's quality of life. I hear the DR is providing a ton of assistance too at this time.

:candle: :pray:

Magicwildwolf69
January 16th, 2010, 01:17 PM
i hope help can get through to all that needs it soon. i agree with people why can't they just let everyone in so those that are hurt can get the help they needs. its just so mind boggling sometimes.

:candle::candle: