Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

This is so seriously sad

Chris21711
January 13th, 2010, 09:31 AM
Upon reading press releases on the OSPCA site this morning, this made me sick to my stomach :(

Refuting a column by Peter Worthington, journalist for the Toronto Sun about an article he wrote regarding the Windsor-Essex Humane Society, as usual he gets his information from the THS without validating the fodder that he is given.

Regardless of his misinformation, the following is part of a response written by the Executive Director of that Humane Society:

**Of all the animals who came through our doors, in 2008 we had to euthanize 63.3% of the 7,748 animals that we took in (many of them very ill or aggressive as we serve as the municipal pound), and 64.5% of the 7,536 who were admitted in 2009. We still consider these numbers too high, and many people in our organization and our community have been working very hard to bring these numbers down. However, they are nowhere near the percentage your paper published, nor do we believe they are the highest in the province.**

I for one do not believe that that many animals could be deemed agressive or ill :frustrated:

Love4himies
January 13th, 2010, 09:43 AM
I am confused :confused:, is he refuting numbers the OSPCA published or the reporter?

hazelrunpack
January 13th, 2010, 09:49 AM
Those numbers are staggering, Chris! :( :grouphug:

Love4himies
January 13th, 2010, 09:59 AM
Could they be euthanising for space and picking the least of the healthiest and aggressive to keep?

I know of a local shelter that has numbers such as this :(.

Chris21711
January 13th, 2010, 10:17 AM
I am confused :confused:, is he refuting numbers the OSPCA published or the reporter?

Numbers the Reporter published L4H.......Here is a full transcript of the Press Release:

http://www.ontariospca.ca/press_releases/2010/10_jan09.html

Love4himies
January 13th, 2010, 10:22 AM
OK, I understand now.

I note how they stated the they don't have a high euthanisation rate for dogs :frustrated:, meaning that most of the animals are cats.

Chris21711
January 13th, 2010, 10:25 AM
I know L4H.....Sadly that seems to be case far and wide :(

hazelrunpack
January 13th, 2010, 10:32 AM
It sounds like they're very open about the cat problem, though, and trying to promote responsible management of the overpopulation problem. So kudos to them for being so above board and honest about it. But the numbers still just sit in the pit of my stomach. :(

14+kitties
January 13th, 2010, 11:07 AM
OK, I understand now.

I note how they stated the they don't have a high euthanisation rate for dogs :frustrated:, meaning that most of the animals are cats.

I know L4H.....Sadly that seems to be case far and wide :(

Given the fact that there is an estimated 100,000 stray/feral cats roaming Toronto those numbers don't surprise me. :( Remember when Cat City aired? The 100,000 is the number given on the show.
Unfortunately those euthanasia numbers are the same in this area. Fantastic numbers for dogs. Very dismal numbers for cats. It makes me sick. :(

happycats
January 13th, 2010, 11:28 AM
OMG that's sickening, but really it's all the fault of pet owners/breeders!!
People like to blame the institutions for euthanizing so many animals, but it's the freakin people who keep breeding and dumping that's the problem!
The only way these numbers will change is if the government passes a law (and enforcing it) that requires all pets be altered or the owner be fined.
Also ban the selling of cat's and dog's in pet stores/all stores. making it only possible to get pets form rescue or breeders. And all breeders must be licensed. sorry for the rant :o

joeysmama
January 13th, 2010, 11:29 AM
What standards are they using to determine aggressiveness? I would think that being brought into a pound or a shelter would not bring out the best in most animals and that anxiety or survival instinct would cause many wonderful animals to appear aggressive when they are just fearful.:(

Isn't this the time of year to start returning all the furry Christmas presents? :yell:

Chris21711
January 13th, 2010, 11:42 AM
Isn't this the time of year to start returning all the furry Christmas presents? :yell:

In the next week or two it will probably start :frustrated: :(

Love4himies
January 13th, 2010, 11:54 AM
OMG that's sickening, but really it's all the fault of pet owners/breeders!!
People like to blame the institutions for euthanizing so many animals, but it's the freakin people who keep breeding and dumping that's the problem!
The only way these numbers will change is if the government passes a law (and enforcing it) that requires all pets be altered or the owner be fined.
Also ban the selling of cat's and dog's in pet stores/all stores. making it only possible to get pets form rescue or breeders. And all breeders must be licensed. sorry for the rant :o

I think the law should be altered by the adopter (the person adopting out the pet) before adopting out a pet. That would eliminate a lot of puppy/kitty mills/byb if they had to put out that money.

fosterpat
January 13th, 2010, 11:59 AM
It already has!! My first xmas puppy foster, came in December 30th...just a few days after xmas. Normally this doesn't happen until at least a few weeks into January...but at least the one I have will have a great furrover home!!

Magicwildwolf69
January 13th, 2010, 03:44 PM
those numbers are just so sad and sicking. and it is mostly cause no one takes responsibility for fixing their pets

happycats
January 13th, 2010, 03:53 PM
It already has!! My first xmas puppy foster, came in December 30th...just a few days after xmas. Normally this doesn't happen until at least a few weeks into January...

:wall::wall: