Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

A question about Windy...

krdahmer
January 12th, 2010, 02:56 PM
So since the new guy has been here there have been a few dust-ups, and sometimes he does get a little rough. I noticed the other day that Windy had a bit of a raised area on her back just above her tail, so I've been keeping an eye on it thinking it might be a bruise. Last night I noticed it had gotten bigger (maybe golf ball size) and since she was finally resting, she let me take a good look and poke at it a bit. At about the center of it there was a scab, so I figure he either got her with a claw or a bite, this morning I checked it out thoroughly again and it now seems to be a bit less swollen (moe ping pong ballish) and the spot where the scab was seems to have matted fur like something may have oozed out of that area. Now I think it might be an abcess, but the only one I've ever dealt with was on one of Buddy's teeth that required it be pulled....so how do you treat one on their skin? Is there something I could clean it with here at home? Or do I need to go to the vet? (if it's not gone by friday I will be taking her in Satuday) I'm just wondering how concerned I need to be because it doesn't seem to be bothering her at all unless I'm poking at it.

Thanks in advance! :goodvibes:

hazelrunpack
January 12th, 2010, 03:03 PM
My sister used to feed a feral cat in her yard that would get abcesses. After a few really harrowing trips to the vet (Maverick did not like to be confined), the vet showed her how to clean an abcess. Maverick was actually pretty content to let her clean up future abcesses, so it can be done.

Problem is, I don't know how she did it :o I also don't know how critical it is to get it done right away. But as long as it's getting smaller, I'd feel better about waiting to have it seen. :shrug: If you do take her in, have the vet show you how to treat it yourself.

:o Not much help, eh? :o

rainbow
January 12th, 2010, 03:56 PM
Aww, poor Windy. :grouphug:

I've never had to treat an abcess but googled and found this from http://www.ehow.com/how_4865161_treat-cat-fight-abscess.html...

The abscess may rupture naturally; it did on our cat, it needs medical care. You're left with a foul smell from the drainage, which is yellow or brown in color. The cat may feel better, and then want to eat food. If the cat feels like it cut the fur away from the wound, so it will heal better. Wash around the wounded area, with warm salt water or use diluted 50/50 hydrogen peroxide to clean the area of drainage.

bendyfoot
January 12th, 2010, 04:08 PM
Solomon got an abcess in the same spot once. We took him to the vet, where the area was shaved, the wound was opened, drained and flushed, and he was put on antibiotics.

krdahmer
January 12th, 2010, 06:41 PM
k... thanls guys, I'll give the vet a call tomorrow and take her in just to be safe!

krdahmer
January 12th, 2010, 11:43 PM
:yuck: It exploded!! :yuck: :rolleyes: So I went to check on it cause I noticed her finally fussing over it and there was all this pus oozing out....I read earlier that if it ruptures naturally you just try to gently squeeze out all you can and then clean it, every 12 hours. I'll call the vet tomorrow and make sure I did it all right. Of course the gentle squeezing and washing with peroxide and water solution was super fun with Windy! :o Man she's got attitude! I think it looks ok, looks like it was more of a claw slice, only maybe 3/4 of a centimeter (1/4 inch or so for you 'mericans!;)). If she'll let me, or if I can get someone to help hold her I'm gonna trim the fur so I can see it better without having to manhandle her.

growler~GateKeeper
January 13th, 2010, 12:09 AM
They're pretty rank eh? :yuck: Try to get all the pus out & keep it as clean as possible especially keeping the surrounding fur out of it cuz that will cause further irritation. Best to leave it uncovered if possible, & if you can/have one a cone on Windy if she's fussing with it too much. :goodvibes:

TeriM
January 13th, 2010, 02:42 AM
Ewwwwwwww :yuck:.

Hope it heals well :goodvibes:.

rjesak
January 13th, 2010, 10:07 AM
Ugh. :yuck: When I was growing up, we had an indoor/outdoor cat named Pudding who used to get in squabbles with a neighbor cat. He got an abscess on his shoulder and it exploded while he was sleeping on my pillow! Blech!!! :yuck::yell:

Hopefully, now that it's burst, Windy will heal up better. It'd help if you can trim away the fur - Pudding was willing to leave it alone once we got the fur out of it.
:offtopic:
My whole childhood, we had indoor/outdoor cats. Now that I'm an adult with my own cats, I have nightmares about them getting out! I suppose it's because I saw just how much trouble they got into outside. One got spray-painted and worse things happened to Pudding!

catlover2
January 13th, 2010, 11:19 AM
The abscess may have drained completely, and if it has will dry up, but if it hasn't and at first sign cat is off its food, not peppy or playing normally, hunched down, you should get it to a vet asap for antibiotic treatment, as cats can go down fast.

14+kitties
January 13th, 2010, 12:23 PM
I'm sure you were on the phone with Dr. B. first thing this morning. Did she tell you to come in and get some antibiotics?
:goodvibes: for Windy. Tell Mickey not to be so mean to his big sis!!

krdahmer
January 13th, 2010, 12:46 PM
I made an appointment for next monday. They want me to bring her in cause they haven't seen her since 08. But if I bring her in I get shots pushed on me...so if it's healing nicely by then, I'll cancel. I have some baytril, I gave her 1/2 pill last night and have enough to give it to her for a week if the vet thinks she needs it. She let me trim the hair so I can see it good now, looks just like what Fagan had on his shoulder, which the vet didn't even bother prescribing antibiotics for. I felt it good after I trimmed the fur, and it's not raised anymore at all, so I think we got out all the pus last night. She isn't licking or biting at it anymore...and when I pushed on the area, she didn't even flinch so the pain is gone too. If there is any sign that something is wrong I'll take her in, but I'm hoping to avoid stressing her out and me out with a vet bill. I didn't even clean it when Fagan had one (mainly cause I didn't see it until after it had already burst and had a scab) and his healed up great all on it's own.

She's eating, snuggling, purring, playing, hissing at the kitten....so back to her usual self! She didn't enjoy the peroxide and water wash so I changed to saline solution today, as I read somewhere that that is good too. And she was much less fighty about it!

onster
January 14th, 2010, 12:13 PM
Kr, sorry to hear about windy.

My last cat Ty :rip: was an indoor outdoor and he once got an abscess on his cheek. We unfortunately didn't realize what it was till it exploded (it was the same day we noticed his cheek a bit swollen so its not like we ignored it for a while).

Although consulting a vet is always important, my vet wasnt going to able to touch my cat unless he put him under so we agreed to do the best we could and make an apptment with the vet if it did not look to be healing (moms also thinks one should not rush to doc/vet for every lil thing).

Meanwhile I read online that you can keep cleaning the wound with a warm salt solution, the idea is to keep the would open and draw out any remaining infection. The problem with cat bites is that they are so small yet so deep so the wound closes before it heals then you get the pus etc etc.

I cleaned his cheek like that several times a day for a few days, keeping the wound open and it healed perfectly. Maybe try that?

krdahmer
January 30th, 2010, 04:34 PM
Just wanted to let you all know that Miss Windy has healed up just beautifully, I had trimmed the fur around the area and kept an eye on it, the wound healed up rather quickly and now her skin in that area is back to white and smooth and even the fur has started to grow back! :thumbs up And the kitten is right back to annoying her! (although I did see her get in a few good right hooks to teach him a lesson!):rolleyes::laughing:

hazelrunpack
January 30th, 2010, 04:55 PM
That's good news! :highfive: We're in the process of healing up a small abcess on Ember's shoulder. Almost there, but it's taking forever :frustrated:

growler~GateKeeper
January 31st, 2010, 12:50 AM
Great update :thumbs up glad she's doing well. Now how about a pic or 2 or the recovering patient? Not neccessary to be of her hind end though but of her pretty face :D :cat: