Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Pumpkin for runs?

bendyfoot
January 11th, 2010, 09:11 PM
How much would you give a 60 or 50 lb dog if they had loose stools? Do you give it with other food? is there any risk of it having the OPPOSITE effect? :eek:

Etown_Chick
January 11th, 2010, 09:27 PM
Pumpkin is full of fibre, so can't see it stopping them up. Scruff is about 42 lbs. I give him two good Tablespoons at the first sign of 'soft serve', same again at breakfast the next day. I see how it goes from there.
Please make sure you get pumpkin, not pumpkin pie filling.
Any time my doggie has had the runs and I've taken him to the vet, the vet always says to keep him off food until his tummy settles.
If you want to give him his food as well, that's up to you. But it makes sense to me, if his tummy is upset, to give it a day or two to relax before going back to his regular food.

bendyfoot
January 11th, 2010, 09:32 PM
I've already fasted 2 days out of the last 5...tonight will be 3. Usually that does the trick. I would normally just wait it out, but through I might try the pumpkin trick everyone talks about...

I've got plain, unspiced pumpkin here, so no worries with that.

Chaser
January 11th, 2010, 10:41 PM
I give about two rounded tablespoons a day for bad runs. Sounds like you may be stuck with a vet trip if it lasts much longer though :(

Which one of your babies is sick???

Chase and Kailey both got a pretty long-lasting bug last spring during the thaw.....so I couldn't keep fasting them. I fed them a mix of brown rice or mashed sweet potato, cooked chicken, pumpkin and plain yogurt. They did reasonably well with that for the seven days it took for the bug to get out of their systems.

HelenNutmeg
January 16th, 2010, 09:10 AM
1 tbsp at mealtime..metamucil.. unflavored.. or fiber choice brand.. with 1 tbsp.. organic yogourt