Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Tethering.... led to angry peeing in the house?

shan
August 27th, 2004, 11:23 AM
As most of you know, I have been tethering Annie to me in the evenings, as suggested by my trainer. Last night she was tied to me, and as I was running a bath she peed on the bath mat! I took my eyes away just long enough to turn the taps on and adjust the temp... She hasnt had an accident in a very long time, so I am wondering if she peed because she really had to go, or was she just "angry", and knew this was wrong? Also, if this is what tethering is going to do to her behaviour, should I just quit tethering her? (I know Goldenmom doesnt agree with the tethering, I would like others opinions)

Cinnabear
August 27th, 2004, 11:34 AM
Well she probably had to go real bad especially with the tub running. Do you tether her all the time? When not tethering do you put her in a crate? How old is she and how long have you had her?

Princesss04
August 27th, 2004, 11:40 AM
Shan was it you that taught your baby to pee in a liter box?

shan
August 27th, 2004, 12:15 PM
Annie is 6.5 months old, I have had her since she was 2 months old. I enrolled her in an obedience class, and at our first class on Tuesday, our trainer said to tether them to us when we are home, for a week. I dont keep her tethered to me all the time when I am home, and no, when she is not tethered she is not crated, as she is housetrained. As I said this is her first accident in our house in about 3 months or so. I am beginning to think this tethering thing is not worth the effort, as she was not trained with this method earlier, it is just confusing her. I do not want to "wreck" all the training I have put into Annie prior to the class, as she is a very good dog.

Annie is not the puppy who is litter trained. Fortunately I dont live in an apartment and was able to train her the "normal way"!

Goldenmom
August 27th, 2004, 01:03 PM
Honestly, I think that when the dog heard the water, it just got the urge to go too! This is what Dr.s do to help patient get a pee sample. They turn on the water in the bathroom.

You know my opinion of the tether, so I won't go there ;)

Your instinct is telling you exactly what you should be doing...

Heather

Cinnabear
August 27th, 2004, 01:04 PM
If she is not bad, why do you tether? I think I would tether if there was a problem if not what would the reason be to use a tether?

mastifflover
August 27th, 2004, 01:21 PM
I think tethering is appropritate for certain types of training but I really don't agree with it for just obedience. If your dog is housetrained and knows basic obedience I really don't think it will do anything but confuse you dog.

LavenderRott
August 27th, 2004, 01:27 PM
The only time I have ever heard of using a tether is either for a dog that is into everything when you aren't looking or a dog that you are having problems housebreaking. The purpose, as it was explained to me, was so that you always knew where the dog was and what it was up to.

Since neither of these things is an issue with your dog, I think you are wasting your time.

debanneball
August 27th, 2004, 01:30 PM
I think tethering is appropritate for certain types of training but I really don't agree with it for just obedience. If your dog is housetrained and knows basic obedience I really don't think it will do anything but confuse you dog.

Agreed... ;)

shan
August 27th, 2004, 01:56 PM
Thanks for all the reassurance!!

Annie will be VERY glad to know that there wil be no more tethering!!! I guess I need to learn to trust my instincts!

Princesss04
August 27th, 2004, 01:57 PM
GOOD JOB SHAN your baby will love you for this. :D