Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Teaching a new dog old tricks!

Etown_Chick
January 10th, 2010, 02:15 PM
I've been giving Scruffy more and more raw, which he loves! I've been reading here that I should stop cutting it up for him and let him chew and tear it the way he's meant to.
PRoblem is, I don't think Scruffy read the same posts. Right now there is a perfectly tasty piece of meat outside because he doesn't seem to know what to do with it. He carried it around the yard a couple times, tried to leave the yard with it, then gave up and came inside.
The last time he did this, I relented and cut it up. Today I"m being stubborn. Anyone else have this problem, or does every dog but mine know what to do with a chunk of beef?

cassiek
January 10th, 2010, 03:42 PM
Etown_chick, I just had to laugh when I read your post! :D My dog Brynn did the exact same thing when we started raw and still needs some "assistance" three months later, especially when she gets a large chunk of meat i.e. a chicken quarter, whole chicken etc. Brynn would just sit there and lick it until after about 20 minutes just giving up, so what I do is usually grab a leg or a part of the meat and her and I have almost a "tug of war" with it :laughing: until she starts to rip it and get under the skin, then she is just fine and has no problem devouring the rest of it! :rolleyes:

You could try it! Let me know how it goes!!

shirley1011
January 10th, 2010, 05:14 PM
We have one..Jack..the black sheppherd who just won't buy into eating things whole...he loves raw but " cut it up please or I'm not eating it" ....the others crunch away and look for more!