Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Punky has periodic sneezing bouts

mikischo
January 9th, 2010, 06:20 PM
I have a question about Punky, one of my "fosters:D." He gets "sneeze attacks" from time to time. This happens quite rarely. I have only observed it on three occasions over the past three months, but when it happens it is a bit concerning, because it goes on continuously probably for at least three minutes or more (didn't time it) and must be quite uncomfortable. When it happens, he crouches quite low to the floor with his face kind of forward and just a little off the floor. Once it finally stops, he is back to normal and everything is fine again. Other than that, he will sneeze just once now and then (just one sneeze and that happens infrequently).

I would think it might be related to some kind of allergy but can't figure out what would set it off, especially since it happens so rarely.

I will likely be taking him for a complete checkup and senior's panel in the near future (his family says he is 12 or 13 years old, so it is more than time). Other than these rare sneezing bouts, he is appears to be quite healthy and is very agile. If I hadn't been told otherwise I would have thought him to be no older than 10.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else has seen their cats have "sneeze attacks" like this and if they knew what was the cause.

Tig's mom
January 10th, 2010, 04:05 PM
My cat Tiger has had one similar type of 'sneezing problem' in the past. I was concerned and did take him to our Vet. He examined him, and asked about any 'new' things or even products I used in our house (even new brand of cat litter.) I had bought some new cat nip/honey suckle toys . He said they often use 'saw dust' ,in them, and it was more of an 'irritant' to Tiger than a toy?:shrug:
My vet said to get rid of them. I threw them out, and changed our hepa filters,and actually got some new toys for him, NOT from the same place.
Changed the furnace filter, and vacummed the entire house. He has never had any other episodes like that since, I assumed it must have been from those. I am not qualified to make any dx, but my vet always asks about sneezing, and breathing difficulties when we have check ups. Sorry I could have not been of more help. Best wishes for Punky.:)

Winston
January 10th, 2010, 06:51 PM
Mischiko I have a friend with a kitty who has done that since he was teeny...Apparently her vet set it is a resperatory issue and that the kittys immune system gets compromised..Like a viral type infection. He is 3 now and has the sneezing fits almost daily and then that is it. She was told to used Lysine and see if that helps.

Ideally a quick vet visit might not hurt! :thumbs up

Cindy