Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Back Home and straight to the vet

onster
January 9th, 2010, 03:18 PM
So I got in last night at 3am and Bunduk immediately looked like soemthing was wrong,one eye barely open, weeping. Wiped out the gunk and then again this morning there was white gunk coming out of the corner and around his eye it just looked red and sore. Mom said they noticed this yesterday so I called the vet and got in at 12:30 before they closed.

She checked for scratches using these special drops and he has ulcers (vet tech called them that) on both his eyes! Vet said he has conjunctivitis and he's now on eye drops (clyoxin I think)and antibiotics (clavaseptin) for the next 10 days.

Poor baby. :( Anyone experienced this with their kitty? does it go away fairly quickly? The vet is cloed now and I have a recheck booked next Saturday but I forgot to ask if there was anything I could do like warm compresses or something.

He was such a cuddle bum too throughout the night, he kneeded for the first time ever and was grooming my face and arms, love bites every once in a while :rolleyes: You wouldnt think his eyes were sore!

onster
January 9th, 2010, 03:36 PM
Forgot to mentions she also said that both the glands in his neck are quite swollen too....

I'm just reading up on the conjunctivitis, pink eye...I've heard of it before but thankfully never experienced it. I'm reading that its very contagious too, should I be worried about Onnie?

quincymycat
January 9th, 2010, 03:40 PM
So I got in last night at 3am and Bunduk immediately looked like soemthing was wrong,one eye barely open, weeping. Wiped out the gunk and then again this morning there was white gunk coming out of the corner and around his eye it just looked red and sore. Mom said they noticed this yesterday so I called the vet and got in at 12:30 before they closed.

She checked for scratches using these special drops and he has ulcers (vet tech called them that) on both his eyes! Vet said he has conjugvitis (sp?) and he's now on eye drops (clyoxin I think)and antibiotics (clavaseptin) for the next 10 days.

Poor baby. :( Anyone experienced this with their kitty? does it go away fairly quickly? The vet is cloed now and I have a recheck booked next Saturday but I forgot to ask if there was anything I could do like warm compresses or something.

He was such a cuddle bum too throughout the night, he kneeded for the first time ever and was grooming my face and arms, love bites every once in a while :rolleyes: You wouldnt think his eyes were sore!

My guys get eye infections alot, and it seems they pass them around while they are at it.
The brownish drops your vet used were to visualize the eye and make sure there were no ulcerations or scratches which would preclude dispensing a steroidal medication. Since there were, your little guy likely rubbed or scratched the eye) you were given antibiotics. These work pretty quickly in my experience and the reddness will decrease in a couple of days. You must use them for the full 10 days though as like most infections, it may look better but not complety gone.
You can use a warm soft cloth to wipe discharge from the eye, wipe from inside the eye (at the nose) outward to prevent bringing the discharge back into the eye.
Good luck...:goodvibes:

Macomom
January 9th, 2010, 03:55 PM
Poor Bunduk. Harvey gets occasional ear and eye stuff and you feel very sorry for them because it is so goopy and itchy.
Glad to hear that you are back from Egypt! I ate a great mango the other day- waited patiently for it to ripen :)
It may not be a bad idea to treat Onnie with a topical- you should ask the vet. When people get it, they make you treat both eyes, even if one eye displays the symptoms.

mikischo
January 9th, 2010, 05:22 PM
I don't have any advice for you. Just sending good vibes :goodvibes: that Bunduk feels better soon.

Frenchy
January 9th, 2010, 05:29 PM
welcome back onster , so sorry you have to deal with this when you just got back home. :eek:

Dee-O-Gee
January 9th, 2010, 11:10 PM
You know I was wondering about you today Onster and was going to start questioning your whereabouts. :shrug:

Welcome back and please give Bunduk's and Onnie lots of hugs & kisses from all us. :grouphug:

It may not be a bad idea to keep both eyes clean and maybe treat Onnie too with some kind of topical treatment.

Sending :grouphug: :grouphug: and :goodvibes::goodvibes::goodvibes: your way Onster! :)

luckypenny
January 9th, 2010, 11:17 PM
Sending healing vibes that Bunduk's eyes get better real soon :fingerscr.

krdahmer
January 9th, 2010, 11:24 PM
Aw poor little bunduk! :goodvibes: that his eyes are better soon!

(I thought that's what the vet said was on Buddy's eye, an ulcer, but I'm not sure... she described it as a fatty deposit because of a possible high cholesterol problem and even after the drops it hasn't gotten better, just stayed the same, she said just to keep an eye on it for any changes. Which to me doesn't sound like an ulcer, so I may be wrong about what she called it... and that was probably of no help at all...:shrug::o)

And yes I just read up on cat eye stuff today and did read that conjuctivitis is very contagious to Onnie and you guys too.

14+kitties
January 9th, 2010, 11:25 PM
Welcome back onster!! It's been a while. Hope your trip was terrific!!
When I first got Kearn and Calysta they had conjunctivitis. I was prescribed Garamycin which is an ointment. IME it's easier to get into the eye than drops and stays longer. You apply it to your fingertip and then onto the eye. My vet says that the ointment stays on a lot longer than the drops giving the eye a better chance of healing.
Hopefully the antibiotics get rid of the swollen glands. Has your mom been keeping the kitties indoors now? :fingerscr
When my catty cats all had the eye infections in the summer the vet said to use a cotton ball dampened with distilled water to clean the kitties eyes.
Keeping my :fingerscr and sending :goodvibes: yours and Bunduk's way. And Onnie's too that he doesn't get it.

hazelrunpack
January 9th, 2010, 11:55 PM
Ouch!! Poor Bunduk! Hope he's better soon! :goodvibes:

What is it with corneal ulcers and conjunctivitis this fall/winter? :eek: There seem to be a lot of eye problems this year...unless I'm just not remembering from previous years... Which is always a possiblity considering the state of hazel's memory :o

Welcome back, btw, onster! How was your trip?

onster
January 10th, 2010, 09:23 AM
My guys get eye infections alot, and it seems they pass them around while they are at it.
The brownish drops your vet used were to visualize the eye and make sure there were no ulcerations or scratches which would preclude dispensing a steroidal medication. Since there were, your little guy likely rubbed or scratched the eye) you were given antibiotics. These work pretty quickly in my experience and the reddness will decrease in a couple of days. You must use them for the full 10 days though as like most infections, it may look better but not complety gone.
You can use a warm soft cloth to wipe discharge from the eye, wipe from inside the eye (at the nose) outward to prevent bringing the discharge back into the eye.
Good luck...:goodvibes:

Quincymycat, thank you so much for all the info, helped me understand the process :grouphug: Bunduk's eye looks better all ready but he does *not* like the drops and I have to give them to him 4 times a day for the 10 days!! His one eyeball is quite red though (realised this when I was prying his eye open for eye drops this morning :rolleyes:). Also, his inner eyelid is begining to show on that eye :( despite that it does look better though, he's not so squinty :thumbs up

Poor Bunduk. Harvey gets occasional ear and eye stuff and you feel very sorry for them because it is so goopy and itchy.
Glad to hear that you are back from Egypt! I ate a great mango the other day- waited patiently for it to ripen :)
It may not be a bad idea to treat Onnie with a topical- you should ask the vet. When people get it, they make you treat both eyes, even if one eye displays the symptoms.

Thanks Macomom, and glad to hear u enjoyed the Mango :thumbs up I'll def ask the vet Monday about the drops for Onnie so far Onnie looks to be in the clear but I caught him twice grooming bunduk's face so I am concerned he catches it. Unfortunately Im back in Guelph tomorrow so mom will have to handle dispensing the meds till Im back on the weeked, I thought of taking BUnduk with me but I dont want to stress him out considering he's already sick, I'll just have to wait till he gets better.

I don't have any advice for you. Just sending good vibes :goodvibes: that Bunduk feels better soon.

Thanks so much :grouphug:

welcome back onster , so sorry you have to deal with this when you just got back home. :eek:

thanks frenchy...you shouldve seen me at the vet,was such a mess, I had been travelling for 22 hours total (long transit in london) and slept maybe 6 hours in a 50 hour period (night b4 i left got no sleep either)..I am still so out of it but it was a great trip :thumbs up

onster
January 10th, 2010, 09:33 AM
You know I was wondering about you today Onster and was going to start questioning your whereabouts. :shrug:

Welcome back and please give Bunduk's and Onnie lots of hugs & kisses from all us. :grouphug:

It may not be a bad idea to keep both eyes clean and maybe treat Onnie too with some kind of topical treatment.

Sending :grouphug: : your way Onster! :)

Thanks Klmccallum, yeah I had been more MIA than I intended I was just soo busy my last few days, trying to squeeze in so many things. Will do with the Onnie and bunduk hugs and kisses..they say thanks :D hehe. Appreciate the goodvibes very much :grouphug:

Sending healing vibes that Bunduk's eyes get better real soon :fingerscr.

thanks LP :grouphug: I'm so glad I came home when I did, I'm not sure my mom would have taken him to the vet right away (wait and see kind of thing).

Aw poor little bunduk! :goodvibes: that his eyes are better soon!

(I thought that's what the vet said was on Buddy's eye, an ulcer, but I'm not sure... she described it as a fatty deposit because of a possible high cholesterol problem and even after the drops it hasn't gotten better, just stayed the same, she said just to keep an eye on it for any changes. Which to me doesn't sound like an ulcer, so I may be wrong about what she called it... and that was probably of no help at all...:shrug::o)

And yes I just read up on cat eye stuff today and did read that conjuctivitis is very contagious to Onnie and you guys too.

Yeah I was confused about the ulcer terminology too, i didnt know it could just mean a scratch..but it seems like it can also be a fatty deposit like with buddy? Im not sure what comes first the scratch and then the pink eye or the pink eye than the scratch because its itchy? I hope it wasnt the result of Bunduk & Onnie fighting. I didnt know it could be transmitted to us too...thanks for letting me know!

Welcome back onster!! It's been a while. Hope your trip was terrific!!
When I first got Kearn and Calysta they had conjunctivitis. I was prescribed Garamycin which is an ointment. IME it's easier to get into the eye than drops and stays longer. You apply it to your fingertip and then onto the eye. My vet says that the ointment stays on a lot longer than the drops giving the eye a better chance of healing.
Hopefully the antibiotics get rid of the swollen glands. Has your mom been keeping the kitties indoors now? :fingerscr
When my catty cats all had the eye infections in the summer the vet said to use a cotton ball dampened with distilled water to clean the kitties eyes.
Keeping my :fingerscr and sending :goodvibes: yours and Bunduk's way. And Onnie's too that he doesn't get it.

Thanks 14+ my trip was just awesome, I cried when I left, saying goodbyes was so hard :(

Thank you so much bout the ointment info, Ill try and ask my vet about it tomorrow, when I put in the drops bunduk is sooo squirmy Im not sure it even goes in and he just hates it I cant imagine how i its gonna be as he gets more and more wary of me applying them.

onster
January 10th, 2010, 09:36 AM
Ouch!! Poor Bunduk! Hope he's better soon! :goodvibes:

What is it with corneal ulcers and conjunctivitis this fall/winter? :eek: There seem to be a lot of eye problems this year...unless I'm just not remembering from previous years... Which is always a possiblity considering the state of hazel's memory :o

Welcome back, btw, onster! How was your trip?

Thanks Hazel...I do hope all our furries stay clear of eye infections from now on, its just so hard to see them like that.

My trip was wonderful thank you!

Frenchy
January 10th, 2010, 10:05 AM
I'm glad it's a bit better this morning :thumbs up Sam had an ulcer once (from being slap in the face with Nelly's tail :p) and he recovered pretty fast with the eye ointment. I know this isn't what Bunduck has but , these meds are usually pretty good and work fast.

but oye .... must be a challenge treating a cat :eek:

onster
January 10th, 2010, 10:26 AM
lol a tail slap huh? my suspicions are on Onnie's claws :frustrated:

and yes the medicating is no fun...the pills are ok this time cuz apparently they dont taste as nasty as the clavamox so he doesnt froth at the mouth and spit it out :rolleyes: supposedly it tastes like liver and he should just eat it out of my hand but *of course* he who eats styrofoam and plastic like its caviar thinks liver pills are not worth a second sniff :rolleyes::crazy:

:offtopic: btw frenchy, i may have a contact for you a super rich rather handsome guy :p lol its a long story...i had an interesting plane ride home ( i *think* I was hit on for 8 hours...but I only caught on hour 7 hahahaha). I now have an email and a TO number and should be receiving an email in 2 days :rolleyes: nevermind the that he was like 16 yrs older or something hahaha (not awkward at alllll lol)...but then maybe i really just misunderstood and he was just super nice and friendly :shrug: you guys will have to analyze the situation for me later hahaha

bendyfoot
January 10th, 2010, 10:27 AM
Awwww, poor Bunduk :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: Glad you had a good trip, though!

Love4himies
January 10th, 2010, 03:14 PM
WELCOME HOME, ONSTER!

Awwww, poor Bunduk :grouphug:, I hope he recovers quickly :pray:

Tig's mom
January 10th, 2010, 03:39 PM
Hi,
I have not met you, as I am new here. I am happy you had a good vacation .Sending get well soon wishes to Bunduk.
Tig's mom & Tiger <^..^>

edwina
January 10th, 2010, 07:31 PM
Hi Onster, welcome back. :D Poor Bunduk :sick: :( , give him lots of kisses and hugs from me. You can get mushy if you want. :laughing:
:fingerscr he gets better soon. :cloud9:

onster
January 10th, 2010, 08:52 PM
Bendyfoot, L4H, edwina, thanks so much for the well wishes and the welcome backs! :):grouphug:

Tig'smom, welcome to the forum, thank you so much for the well wishes :)

Unfortunately we have two developments..both of which are craptacular *sigh*.

1) Now bunduk actually fights me when I try to put in the drops, I need to get my hands on that ointment 14+ recommended because this is really really bad. One of us is gonna end up physically hurt if I have to continue to give these drops for 9 more days.:( Also my mom will have to give it to him MOnday thru Friday while I'm in Guelph unless I take him with me, which I'm now so torn about.

2) He just had the most horrible diarrhea Ive ever seen and I've seen lots of diarrhea with him before :yuck:. It could not get anymore liquid and there was actually drops of poo trailing from the litter box. A butt bath was also needed. Needless to say said diarrhea occurred right after I emptied out and cleaned all the litter boxes and put in new litter...

Upon further reading clavaseptin is basically another brand name for clavamox ( which he's had before) with diarrhea issues but not quite so bad. The pamphlet the vet gave me says "...may cause stomache upset, vomitting and diarrhea. If stomache upset occurs, try giving medication with food. These symptoms may go away during treatment. If these symptoms continue, contact your veterinarian".

Which makes me think ok...so maybe I shouldnt worry about the liquid stools?

But then good old wiki says :rolleyes: "Amongst the possible side-effects of this medication are diarrhea, vomiting, thrush, and a few other conditions. These do not usually require medical attention. However, if the patient experiences an allergic reaction to the medication, jaundice, fever, or severe diarrhea, it is necessary to contact a doctor immediately."

:yell:......I'm going to guelph tomorrow I have class at 10am :yell:, but first thing I'm gonna do is call the vet.

onster
January 10th, 2010, 09:04 PM
but just so that no1 freaks out about our little Bunduk after I noticed the poo drops :yuck: on the floor I went into the cold room to get some clorox wipes and bunduk followed me in. Of course I got a great view of his poopy behind then :frustrated:, probably said a few good swears :rolleyes: went back to the litterboxes to re-clean, leaving bunduk in the cold room with the door open ( I was not ready to tackle poopy butt yet).

5 minutes or so later what do I return to ? Bunduk has eaten and clawed his way thru his unopened bag of food that is stored in the cold room and is now picking out kibbles, innocent as can be :crazy: :wall: Of course now lots of the kibble is covered in drool and I think it may go stale before they finish the already open bag :frustrated: Both of which are exactly the same flavour and make...why didnt he just go eat from his food bowl eh? cuz he's :evil:!

I swear I could cry because Im so jet lagged, tired and torn/feeling guilty because I'm leaving him like this tomorrow when I go back to my place...but at the same time I had to laugh at Bunduk. He sure isn't feeling too sick :rolleyes:

hazelrunpack
January 10th, 2010, 09:56 PM
Ah, yes...when it rains it pours :rolleyes: :grouphug:

Do you have any cat-suitable probiotic? Cole and Macie are just starting week 6 of their latest antibiotic treatment and I'm just amazed at how much difference the probiotic makes in how well they tolerate the meds!

I hope you're both feeling better soon! :goodvibes:

Love4himies
January 11th, 2010, 08:09 AM
Awwww, Bunduk hasn't changed at all since you've been gone :p

:grouphug: to you for having such a bad time yesterday. I hope today goes much better for you.

ancientgirl
January 11th, 2010, 09:04 AM
I've been offline all weekend, I just saw this. I'm sorry Bunduk is having eye problems. I've had conjunctivitis myself, and until the meds start working, it's uncomfortable. It feels like you have sand in your eyes. I'm sure your baby feels better though, with the medication.

I'll ditto what the others have said, it is contagious so keep an eye on Onnie.

Chris21711
January 11th, 2010, 09:46 AM
Sorry to hear that Bunduk is putting you through the wringer again Onster, fingers crossed for a quick recovery. You left him in the cold room again, you just do not learn do ya' :rolleyes:

Happy to hear you had a great time in Egypt, I don't remember seeing any pics this time :frustrated:

Macomom
January 11th, 2010, 09:57 AM
Onster, I found the best way to put in eye drops was to come from behind, with the ointment already on my finger, secure them with my feet or knees- use my other hand to secure their face and eyes, and apply it.
It seemed to be far less traumatic than coming forward into their eyes.
Don't know how easy my technique is for a cat- but it is great for cranky bulldogs!

rjesak
January 11th, 2010, 11:31 AM
My Gustopher gets eye infections occasionally. I finally got where I took him to the vet once a day to have THEM administer the eye drops - it was actually easier than trying to do it myself! :frustrated: Now I have the very great benefit of having my DIL (who is training to be a vet tech) living with me so she gets those duties. It's awesome because I don't have to do the nasty stuff to my cats anymore!! :D

And, by the way, when he gets sick, instead of hiding out like most cats I've heard of, he gets super-duper affectionate. In fact, over-affectionateness is one of the first signs he may be getting sick! :rolleyes:

Best of luck Onster and I hope Bunduk feels better soon!

onster
January 11th, 2010, 03:06 PM
Ah, yes...when it rains it pours :rolleyes: :grouphug:

Do you have any cat-suitable probiotic? Cole and Macie are just starting week 6 of their latest antibiotic treatment and I'm just amazed at how much difference the probiotic makes in how well they tolerate the meds!

I hope you're both feeling better soon! :goodvibes:

:grouphug: thanks. About the probiotics, I called the vet this morning just as they opened explain the diarrhea, asked if I could come by and pick up some (I used some by purina from them before and it worked well), but the receptionist said the vet was busy and would call me back, normally they would ask me to bring him back again (I said I couldnt as I was going bk to Guelph and that really there was nothing for the vet to see). Anyway the vet tech called me back (vet was busy) and she said normally in situations like this they stop the antibiotics for a period of 24 hours then see how he is doing (I am to call them tomorrow morning), they may change the antibiotics altogether. I dunno that doesnt seem so smart to me, not completing the antibiotics course? I think I'd rather complete the course and give him probiotics then just stop it or change the antibiotics? But again I'm not a vet :shrug:.

Thoughts? Anyone been through this before?

Awwww, Bunduk hasn't changed at all since you've been gone :p

:grouphug: to you for having such a bad time yesterday. I hope today goes much better for you.

LOl yep L4H is exactly the same and I love it...I hope so too, thank you!

I've been offline all weekend, I just saw this. I'm sorry Bunduk is having eye problems. I've had conjunctivitis myself, and until the meds start working, it's uncomfortable. It feels like you have sand in your eyes. I'm sure your baby feels better though, with the medication.

I'll ditto what the others have said, it is contagious so keep an eye on Onnie.

AG, I noticed he was rubbing his eyes against some of his toys, which now is kind of scaring me because Onnie and him share toys of course..so far though Onnie's eyes are looking great :thumbs up. Maybe ill run those toys thru the washing machine.

Sorry to hear that Bunduk is putting you through the wringer again Onster, fingers crossed for a quick recovery. You left him in the cold room again, you just do not learn do ya' :rolleyes:

Happy to hear you had a great time in Egypt, I don't remember seeing any pics this time :frustrated:

lol but this time I didnt actually close the cold room door :rolleyes: I thought surely nothing could happen :crazy:

and i know i know bout the pics...i just dont have too many now (most of mine are pics of my friend and vice versa we havent traded yet). Soon though!

onster
January 11th, 2010, 03:11 PM
Onster, I found the best way to put in eye drops was to come from behind, with the ointment already on my finger, secure them with my feet or knees- use my other hand to secure their face and eyes, and apply it.
It seemed to be far less traumatic than coming forward into their eyes.
Don't know how easy my technique is for a cat- but it is great for cranky bulldogs!

Macomom, thanks so much for the technique tips..Ill pass them on to my mom. I just called her and she succesfully gave him the 2nd dose of eye drops ( I gave him the first this morning). Its just the oral antibiotics we have to put a hold on for now.

My Gustopher gets eye infections occasionally. I finally got where I took him to the vet once a day to have THEM administer the eye drops - it was actually easier than trying to do it myself! :frustrated: Now I have the very great benefit of having my DIL (who is training to be a vet tech) living with me so she gets those duties. It's awesome because I don't have to do the nasty stuff to my cats anymore!! :D

And, by the way, when he gets sick, instead of hiding out like most cats I've heard of, he gets super-duper affectionate. In fact, over-affectionateness is one of the first signs he may be getting sick! :rolleyes:

Best of luck Onster and I hope Bunduk feels better soon!

Hmmm so maybe bunduk didnt miss me and hence was so cuddly..maybe he just felt poorly :(

Lucky you with the DIL! I felt so bad having just come home, shoved him in a box (to the vets) and then pilling him and eye drops and all...i hate doing the 'mean' things. Makes me sad when he's all leary about me getting close to him after ive been all rough with him to give him his meds. But he's a good boy with a very short memory :p thankfully he forgives me quickly :D

onster
January 11th, 2010, 09:43 PM
:wall: nevermind, i just called my mom and she said she gave him the antibiotics. She said she felt too bad for him with his stuffed up nose/cold that he's got going too, and I worry too much, so what if he has loose stools for a few days and gave him the meds.

The only reason i worry about the diarrhea is because of dehydration but I suppose it would be okay for a few days. We'll see what happens in the litter box then ill go back home for a few hours tomorrow and go from there.

Macomom
January 11th, 2010, 09:47 PM
:D Onster, your Mom sounds like a Mom!
Poo, schmmooo- she's seen it all. What's a little poo?
Sadly, I can totally relate. Children are full of poo for so many years, it kind of doesn't phase you anymore. :laughing: