Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Olympic Flame??

lUvMyLaB<3
January 8th, 2010, 02:55 PM
The flame gets to my city tonight, and there is to be a celebration, now moved indoors so only 2100 can get in. Just wondering if anyone has gone in their town? All the schools were closed today because of our almost -50 temperatures, so I am wondering if it is worth hauling my kids out? Thanks!

Melinda
January 8th, 2010, 03:11 PM
we had it here about a month ago, schools attended and we had a carnival in the city center.............I didn't go, I just have no interest in it at all, I find it all a waste of money, my girlfriends son carried the torch for a total of 5 minutes if that and purchased the torch for 300 bucks. anyone could apply to carry it, you don't even have to be into sports at all, if you know someone at city hall or in office you can run, I like when there is a meaning behind it, a man here ran for his daughter, she was heavy into childrens sports issues and she was killed a month after being told she would be a torch bearer, he carried it in her name.

Dee-O-Gee
January 8th, 2010, 04:13 PM
It came through our town just before Christmas and man...what a feeling! :lightbulb: I couldn't believe all the people that came out and it truly was an uplifting experience to see the flame and be around neighbors and friends.

Ours was outside on the main street but I'm sure the feeling would be the same with yours indoors. It'll be an experience that you may never have the opportunity to do again so I recommend hauling the kids over to see it. Make sure you bring your camera though! :thumbs up

lUvMyLaB<3
January 8th, 2010, 04:23 PM
Haha if i go no worries, i always use pets.ca from my phone, and i picked this phone because it has a real 5 mp camera!

Its just so dang cold! The walk through the parking lot ick, there is also a wheat king game at the same place, we may freeze to death. . Also its in a city of 50 000, and only 2100 will be let it. It leaves from city hall tomorrow a.m. And i live VERY close to that, i wonder if you can see it from there when it leaves? You never ever get used to this cold, ever . . Its really cold. . .

Luvmypitgirls
January 8th, 2010, 05:56 PM
High River is planning a big celebration when the Olympic Flame arrives here. They have an old fashioned "shindig" planned, including an outdoor music concert.
I doubt I'll attend, I guess it will all depend on the weather that day, and my mood of course :laughing:

I have kind of lost my Olympic enthusiasm since the Supreme Court ruled with the IOC to not allow a woman's ski jumping event. It's all too political and now sexist in my opinion.

Tig's mom
January 8th, 2010, 09:13 PM
I didn't know about the Ski Jumping event? That isn't fair!
I am not sure if I will go either.I also hope it stays warmer here, it was like the tropics
today.

Cathy1
January 8th, 2010, 09:31 PM
It went through here on the 27th. I just stood on the street, saw the torch and then left pretty boring. It may have been different if I would have went to the celebration.

lUvMyLaB<3
January 9th, 2010, 07:57 AM
so. . . I took my kids at 630 this morning to see the torch. They did put on a mini celebration before it got to city hall. It was neat, it was real cold, my car actualy hardly started even though i left it plugged in all night. My kids got to get very close, got a flag and the red mittens. It was to bad that they had to move the big celebration indoors. If it was warmer than -35 it was supposed to be outside at the riverbank, then everyone could participate, anyway, here is a pic from this morning!

Luvmypitgirls
January 9th, 2010, 05:55 PM
I didn't know about the Ski Jumping event? That isn't fair!
I am not sure if I will go either.I also hope it stays warmer here, it was like the tropics
today.

Yes it was beautiful yesterday wasn't it, and another nice day today as well!
The forecast for the upcoming week looks great, especially Tues...+10!
Of course this is Alberta, it can all change so dramatically from day to day.

quincymycat
January 9th, 2010, 06:05 PM
It went through our town about 2 weeks ago, and of course me, being so caught up with local news, happened to be out on the street it was travelling along the morning it arrived and couldn't understand why there were so many school busses and school children lined up along the road and police cruisers all over! DUH!
But back to a point that was mentioned before, I was talking with my best friend from my home town up north and she mentioned that one of the police officers from her detachment, had a brother who was chosen to carry the torch for a bit, but unfortuately, he passed away suddenly before the day it was to arrive. When his brother, her fellow employee, asked if he could carry it in lieu of his brother, he was refused and had to pay $300.00 in order to carry it with his brother's photo. I thought that was a bit unfair.
Just my 2 cents (the smilie won't work!)

Luvmypitgirls
January 9th, 2010, 10:26 PM
It went through our town about 2 weeks ago, and of course me, being so caught up with local news, happened to be out on the street it was travelling along the morning it arrived and couldn't understand why there were so many school busses and school children lined up along the road and police cruisers all over! DUH!
But back to a point that was mentioned before, I was talking with my best friend from my home town up north and she mentioned that one of the police officers from her detachment, had a brother who was chosen to carry the torch for a bit, but unfortuately, he passed away suddenly before the day it was to arrive. When his brother, her fellow employee, asked if he could carry it in lieu of his brother, he was refused and had to pay $300.00 in order to carry it with his brother's photo. I thought that was a bit unfair.
Just my 2 cents (the smilie won't work!)

Wow, you would think that they (the powers that be when it comes to the flame), would've shown more heart and just let the person carry it in memory of his brother, without asking for a 300 dollar fee, talk about lacking compassion.