Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

White lump / bump on inside of my cats lip

srm
January 7th, 2010, 08:09 PM
I noticed while my cat was yawning a white lump/bump on the inside of his lip. It's not bothering him any.. and i just had him in for a teeth cleaning about 2 months ago... unless this is brand new my vet never noticed or said anything about it.. is this just a gland or something? this might very well be something normal that i've just never noticed before. i dont pry his mouth open too often :)

Dr Lee
January 20th, 2010, 11:56 AM
There are some "normal" bumps in the cat mouth. The most common one that I see with clients worried about the mass is the vomeronasal organ (VNO) which is located on the bridge of the mouth just behind the incisor teeth. It is used to sense phermomones among other things.

However, any bump should be checked out by a veterinarian. Also many bumps in the mouth can show up fast because it is such a highly vascular area. So it may not have been present at the time of dental. It is hard to answer from description so I would run your pet by your vet just to be sure.

You said it is on his lip. Upper / lower? Left / right? Is it symmetric?

srm
January 20th, 2010, 12:07 PM
Hi There, thank you for the reply. I do think i'm going to soon make a vet appointment to get it looked at. The good news is since i posted this it has not grown (or shrunk) at all. It's pretty much exactly the same as it was when i first noticed it.

This is on his lower lip, i'd say it's more on the outside of the lip (right on the cusp of being int he middle). I've done some googling and it may be what cyst.. it's perfectly round. Tonight i'll see if i can get a picture and post it, but if i had to describe it, it looks like the little white milia bumps people sometimes get around their eyes just a bit bigger.

srm
January 20th, 2010, 09:21 PM
I managed to get an actual pic of it. Here it it is
S

Dr Lee
January 21st, 2010, 01:33 PM
Great picture! :thumbs up

Definitely not a VNO! :crazy:

I am happy to see that is not red or apparently vascular. It also looks smooth and regular. Those are all good characteristics. It is a strange place to have a follicular cyst but anything is possible.

That spot really needs to be "felt." Options are likely: 1) biopsy which would include surgically removing it (it is too small to just take a piece of it), 2) Fine needle aspirate (it is likely too small for cytology) could tell if it is filled with sebaceous or other fluid, or 3) wait and monitor.

I also assume - that is is an actual "bump" and not just discoloration that could have resulted from damage to the melanin and follicular areas resulting in a skin area that is devoid of hair and pigment?

Let us know what your veterinarian says. :cat:

srm
January 21st, 2010, 01:58 PM
Hey there, yeah it's a lump. The pic kind of makes it look flat, but it's not. I'll post back once i get into see my vet.

Thanks again!

srm
February 23rd, 2010, 01:52 PM
i never posted an update to this. We had ended up seeing the vet and they told us it was nothing. Said it was the equivilant to a 'skin tag' that humans get. As long as it stays the same, and causes no problems it can be ignored. we're still keeping an eye on it, but it's never gotten bigger or changed in anyway. thanks again.