Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Beyond angry and disgusted

ancientgirl
January 7th, 2010, 09:45 AM
This morning on my way to my car, Miguel was waiting for me. He told me they have been finding poisoned cats! Yes, someone is poisoning the strays. He told me they found one this week, in the hot tub area. He also said that when he told the property manager he immediately pointed to one guy, who has been particularly jerky, regarding the feeding of the cats. I've got his apartment number, so he'll be finding a nice little decoration on his door this week.

I called animal services, they are doing nothing. Why? Because unless they have proof, in other words, a cat is found, taken to have an exam to determine if it was poisoned, they can do nothing. They won't even go out there to investigate.

I then called the police, who basically told me, they'll go out there, but unless there is a dead cat for them to see they won't do anything either.

I'm so angry. Animal services and the police are constantly saying to call if you are suspicious, that they will investigate. Bull!!!!!

I went to Facebook and went on a page one of the new stations has here and I wrote about what's happening and the run around I just got.

You would think the police would be a little more proactive, since not 5 months ago, some nut was mutilating cats in that area!

:wall::wall::wall::wall:

friend2animals
January 7th, 2010, 01:02 PM
This is awful!:eek: And I am sorry that you are going through this...:cry:

Sorry to say though, that Animal Services are correct. Unless you are able to present proof - for a necropsy to be conducted, there really isn't much the authorities can do...With an official medical/lab report in hand from a DVM, you will then be better equipped to escalate this matter by involving the police.

Luvmypitgirls
January 8th, 2010, 12:32 PM
You would think the police or animal services would take the matter extremely seriously, given recent history of someone in the area mutilating cats. That kind of behavior is known to be a precurser to the murdering of humans.
Now someone poisioning the cats, I would call your local tv news, tell them about this and how the police and animal services, are not taking any direct action.

ancientgirl
January 8th, 2010, 12:48 PM
LMPG, I sent an email yesterday to a local station, so far I've heard nothing.

I did however, put up some flyers last night and this morning that said the following:

CAT KILLER ALERT!

APARTMENT A-104

THESE SORRY EXCUSES FOR HUMAN BEINGS ARE POISONING CATS!

I put them in the stairwells and on the bulletin boards where everyone picks up their mail.

I'm going to continue doing this. I haven't seen the person doing it, I've only been told by the maintenance crew it's him, so in doing this, I'm hoping he starts to think he's been seen.

mikischo
January 8th, 2010, 02:02 PM
I'm so sorry this is happening. What a horrible situation. It is often so true that "the cruellest animal is the human animal." It can be so hard to prove who is the perpetrator in situations like this, and without some sort of proof, there is likely very little that can be done. Do you have any idea why the maintenance crew are so sure it was him? I'm sorry I don't have any advice for you but I share your anger and pain.:grouphug:

ancientgirl
January 8th, 2010, 02:06 PM
Apart from the guy being an absolute miserable human being, he's the only person, he and his mother and roommate as well, that have been complaining incessantly about people feeding the cats.

Seriously, no one where I live complains about the cats or the cats being fed, just these three people who live in that apartment. The one guy has been arguing with his next door neighbor for months, because she feeds the cats, and he's constantly throwing the food away.

Luvmypitgirls
January 8th, 2010, 07:03 PM
Apart from the guy being an absolute miserable human being, he's the only person, he and his mother and roommate as well, that have been complaining incessantly about people feeding the cats.

Seriously, no one where I live complains about the cats or the cats being fed, just these three people who live in that apartment. The one guy has been arguing with his next door neighbor for months, because she feeds the cats, and he's constantly throwing the food away.

I understand your anger and passion for the situation AG, but just a word of warning, if the maintence workers are wrong, and you put up posters identifying the wrong person, you could be sued for slander.
Has the maintence workers actually seen him doing this first hand?

hazelrunpack
January 8th, 2010, 09:13 PM
Can you even be sure that the cats are being poisoned? There are other things that can kill cats besides poisoning.

If you can prove poisoning, then you have a whole different situation. It's illegal to put out poison in most places unless it's very carefully controlled because kids are notorious for getting into things they find that might not be good for them. If you can prove poisoning, the health department might be a good place to talk to for some help.

Jim Hall
January 8th, 2010, 10:57 PM
you need some kind of proof either the poison or a dead kit or both
has anyone actually seen him putting out poison? have any one else reported this nerar you or in other area's?

imo the notice shouldnt have had an apt # on it

ancientgirl
January 11th, 2010, 08:57 AM
The one guy that lives in that apartment told the property manager that if the manager wasn't going to stop the cats from being fed, he'd do something about it himself. That gives me enough proof that he's the likely culprit.

As of now, things seem to have calmed down for a bit, but I'm keeping my eyes and ears open.

cpietra16
January 11th, 2010, 03:10 PM
Being the " likely culprit "and being the culprit are two different things...I would just take him aside and tell him to very very careful because some people know what he's doing to the cats and thats not good....not good at all...give him something to think about....:D