Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Scary Training Session!

Writing4Fun
August 26th, 2004, 10:04 PM
Oh, boy! What a scary session we had at obedience class today! Remember that Phoebe is a little timid around the other puppies in class? Well, she was doing MUCH better today. Before class, a few of us were standing around outside. Gave Phoebe lots of praise for doing such good meet 'n' greets (tail wagging, no growls at all, polite sniffing...). Anyhow, the class progressed nicely (she's sooooo smart!! :D ).

When it came time for the end-of-class play session, we decided to leave Phoebe with the "regular" pups instead of putting her in the group with the more timid ones. She was doing very well. Then it happened. Another pup - of a breed that can be more "confident" than most dogs - also a female, came at her rather agressively. Phoebe high-tailed it under a chair. The other dog followed. There was some scuffling, during which time the assistant trainer squirted the other dog with a water bottle and told me not to worry. After what seemed like hours but was most likely only 30 seconds or so, Phoebe was making high-pitched barking noises. The other dog was perfectly quiet, just contiued her attack while Phoebe kept trying to back under yet more chairs. The assistant trainer then started moving chairs out of the way to get to them, and I knew something was wrong. She handed Phoebe's leash to me and asked me to bring her to the "timid" dog play area. Phoebe was very nervous at this point and didn't want to do anything except hide behind my legs.

When we were preparing to leave, I noticed the owners of the other dog examining her thoroughly. I asked if she was ok, and they said she was bleeding! Pheobe drew blood!! :eek: The owners didn't even look at me as we were leaving. I felt so bad! There looked to be a pinched vein in her ear and a scrape on top of her head. I was so upset after class that I could barely concentrate on driving. I have no idea how I'm going to face these people at next class!! :(

Sorry, I just needed to get it out. :o Hubby thinks I'm being silly and won't let me vent to him. :rolleyes:

glasslass
August 27th, 2004, 12:44 AM
Did the other owners witness the event from start to finish? It sounds like the whole thing was being monitored by the assistant trainer. Surely, they were aware of that and that their pup was the aggressor. They were probably embarrased to speak to you. Phoebe can't be faulted for defending herself. I'm surprized the trainer didn't say anything?

Cactus Flower
August 27th, 2004, 03:00 AM
Everything that GlassLass just said.

OnlyInMyDreams
August 27th, 2004, 03:14 AM
Yes, no worries, They were probably aware of the fact that their dog forced yours to defend herself. If they have a dog Im sure they know that this stuff can happen.

Writing4Fun
August 27th, 2004, 05:50 AM
I'm not sure what the other owners were doing at this point, I wasn't really paying any attention to them. :o The instructor was in the "timid" dog play area. I'm sure she heard something going on, but didn't see for herself. I saw her with the other owners after class. I should probably call her today to get her thoughts on the matter, since she'll be on vacation next week.

Thanks for the words, folks. I just felt (and still feel) so badly! The other dogs just seem to ignore this pup, or at least don't back down when she comes at them. I'm sure she starts out just playing. Maybe Phoebe's flight to safety triggered some sort of prey drive in her? I dunno. It was just very scary and I hope it never happens again!! :eek:

Writing4Fun
August 27th, 2004, 10:23 AM
Sorry for whining last night :o ! I was just really scared and worried.

Anyhow, I spoke with the assistant trainer this morning. She felt it was mainly the other dog who caused the rucus. While Phoebe does have confidence issues (which she feels is what caused the other pup to go after her in the first place), she was doing a pretty good job of telling the other pup to back off. The other pup just wasn't listening to her and so the scuffle escalated. I asked how we're going to handle next week's play session. She said we'd start them out together and see if the other dog goes for Phoebe again. If she does, we'll stop her right away and put Phoebe in with the smaller dogs again. Poor Phoebe, though! She was doing so well with her fear issues and now this happens! :(

mastifflover
August 27th, 2004, 11:22 AM
I don't feel that you should feel bad there dog was the aggressor and phobe protected herself. Yes it is too bad that the other puppy got hurt but this kind of stuff comes with training and socializing as long as she was not seriously hurt both phoebe and the other puppy will probably get into other little scrapes along the way. It is just like kids they have there little fights.

glasslass
August 27th, 2004, 01:08 PM
This is part of what socialization is. Hopefully, the other dog learned something about not being as aggressive, and Phoebe may gain a little self confidence.

Writing4Fun
August 27th, 2004, 02:29 PM
Thanks Lass. I hope it helped her gain confidence and doesn't destroy the progress she had made in the last week!

I know this is all part of the process. In my mind, that other pup has issues to work on just as much as Phoebe does - on the exact opposite end of the confidence spectrum! :rolleyes: It's just a very hard thing to watch. :(

Phoebe seems to have moved on to bigger and better things, though. She decided to chew up the wood around the window frame today. *Sigh* Just mentally preparing myself for the arguement when hubby sees the damage.

That's about it for this thread, I think! Thanks everyone for lending me a "virtual ear"! :D