Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Outdoors

Wolf
January 5th, 2010, 09:09 AM
I was watching a show on animal planet(second time i seen this epp)
and it was a rescue/spca show?? and they got after a guy for leaving his dog outside in -0c weather.. (it was a short haired breed i'll give them that) and they were in the states somewhere..
but up here.. when its around -30 to -40c weather,
my dogs refuse to go into their dog house (even come inside!) the other day my boy was panting and it was freezing out!
But them being double coated, they seem to be able to handle alot.

Now my question is, being up here in Canada..
What is everyones opinions on the cold.. What is too cold for short haired breeds that spend most of their times outside?
and what is too cold for double coated breeds? (if its possible-i've had a sucky baby who wouldn't go out in -0c)

DoubleRR
January 5th, 2010, 09:28 AM
In my opinion, this varies tremendously depending on breed and age of dog. However, in general, a short haired dog [Dane, Doberman,Hound etc.] cannot comfortably spend much time outside below 10 c. At that temp, if they have a heated doghouse to come and go from, they do ok if they have no health issues and are not senior.

My own shorthaired Rhodesian at 6 yrs old will only want to go for an active walk when it is above 0 c. Any lower, and you go out to pee and check the yard, then right back in to the heated spaces. At minus 25 and worse, he can barely stand to go out to eliminate and get back in. My long haired dachshund can take the cold better--play at minus 10 for a bit, but he is still under a year, and we all know how the younger you are, the less the cold bothers you.
For a truely double coated northern breed that has been outside acclimatizing to the change in seasons, you let them tell you what is comfortable--but at those bitter temps always have the choice of heated space, and at a little warmer temps a thoroughly insulated space available at all times.

luckypenny
January 5th, 2010, 09:37 AM
0 degrees Fahrenheit = -18 Celsius. Count any wind factor and it can be much colder. Our double coated breeds won't even stay out for more than 10-15 minutes in those temperatures.

Lil
January 5th, 2010, 07:50 PM
I think its up to the breed and if the always outside! U cant even trow a husky out in the cold if he is used to stay inside in the warm and didn't got the chance to change the coat!
If ur dog is always outside and is getting the winter fur it could be bad to take them inside! They have winter fur and im sure we all have warm houses!
Aslong there is a dog house they can get comfi ( with hay or what not ) and a big fluffy winter fur ( short hair breeds shouldn't be outside dogs MY OPINION ) they fine.

Lil