Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Never shopping at Stokes again!

Luvmypitgirls
January 3rd, 2010, 09:27 PM
We bought dishes at Stokes at the begining of December. I told the girl that they were for Christmas, and asked if there is a problem with any of them at that time what their return policy was. She told me point blank, not a problem, just return them if anything is wrong, before January 14th.
She never offered or mentioned a special receipt, she just nicely said bring them back for exchange.
Well on Christmas we opened them, sure enough, one box contained three broken bowls and two broken mugs, the other box contained one broken bowl and three broken mugs.
We took the broken pieces back today, with our receipt, to exchange them. Well, instead of getting them exchanged we were yelled at, insulted and threatened.
When my husband brought it to their attention that they were being rude and unprofessional and that he wanted to speak to the manager, they called her, but she wouldn't speak to my husband. She directed the rude clerk, to inform us to come back tomorrow, but to understand nothing would change.
My husband then said, "we will never shop in this store again." To which the reply was "Good we don't need your business!"
I then made it quite clear, that word of mouth is the best advertising, and that the word of mouth advertising they would get from me, wouldn't be pleasant. Then we left. As we opened the door to leave, with our broken dishes, the one girl made an extremely ignorant comment about my husbands appearance. She's dang lucky I didn't turn around and shove my broken dishes up her butt!
I have never ever ever, seen my husband so angry. He was cursing like I've never heard him curse before, and he's the most diplomatic person I have ever met.
I'm going to be sending a letter to Stokes head office, in regards with our little encounter with the two beeotches we had to deal with today.:mad:

luckypenny
January 3rd, 2010, 10:18 PM
I'm sure you'll want to remind them of their customer service satisfaction policy:

"STOKES is proud of their solid customer satisfaction policy. We stand behind our products and we will replace or exchange any and all unused items, within thirty (30) days of your purchase, with your cash receipt, in any of our stores in Canada."

Here's the phone number: 1-888-786-5375.

http://www.stokesstores.com/en/index.php

My SIL used to work in the kitchen department of a large department store. The employees had to check each item, even if boxed to make sure everything was in excellent condition. Looks like the particular store you shopped at should adopt the same policy.

angeldogs
January 3rd, 2010, 10:24 PM
I would be calling or sending an e:mail to head office.they sure don't value their products or customers.

luckypenny
January 3rd, 2010, 10:29 PM
It could just be some pretty nasty employees who don't understand work ethics and couldn't care less about the business :shrug:.

I think contact with the head office is the best way to straighten this bad experience out.

Luvmypitgirls
January 3rd, 2010, 11:38 PM
I'm sure you'll want to remind them of their customer service satisfaction policy:

"STOKES is proud of their solid customer satisfaction policy. We stand behind our products and we will replace or exchange any and all unused items, within thirty (30) days of your purchase, with your cash receipt, in any of our stores in Canada."

Here's the phone number: 1-888-786-5375.

http://www.stokesstores.com/en/index.php

My SIL used to work in the kitchen department of a large department store. The employees had to check each item, even if boxed to make sure everything was in excellent condition. Looks like the particular store you shopped at should adopt the same policy.

They are denying us because it's past 30 days, even tho we told them they were for a Christmas present and wouldn't be opened until Christmas morning. They said without a gift receipt they won't do anything, except sell us the pieces seperately. Why on Earth would I pay for something twice? I never got to use the broken ones, because well they ...were broken! I also brought it to their attention that I discussed with the sales clerk that helped us, that they were for Christmas and that she said no problem as long as we came before Jan.14th. We even asked if we needed a special receipt, her reply was "No". So because an employee made a mistake, I'm stuck with two incomplete dish sets! How fair is that?:frustrated:
They then claimed their sales associates don't make mistakes....:eek:...:laughing:

I am writing a letter to Stokes head office in the morning, I'm too angry to do it right now, and I want it to be as polite as possible. If I wrote it right now, they wouldn't take me seriously, cuz well....it would be far less than polite. :o I don't want to stoop to the level of the employees working that Stokes location.

Dog Dancer
January 4th, 2010, 11:59 AM
Yes calm is best. But I would definitely try to get the name of the President and address your letter directly, and keep a copy so that you can follow up if needed.

WantingToLearn
January 4th, 2010, 05:09 PM
Oh that's rotten! I hate when companies only train their employees to secure the sale and nothing else. To the point of deliberately left out information and deception.

I had the same thing this X-mas but at Moores. Bought some pants there as a X-mas gift, sales girl said that one pants needed to be hemmed and that it was complimentary hemming. Bf went there to get it hemmed and they wanted him to pay for the hemming. So he returned it and credited it to my account. But they were so incredibly rude and made him feel poorly etc. I dispise decietful sales policies and inconsistencies.

And that's what really grinds my gears! (How's that for some Peter Griffin humour).

But ya, I'm sorry this happened, let us know what happened in the end.

Macomom
January 4th, 2010, 06:58 PM
Luvmypitgirls, in addition to writing to head office, you should take it to Twitter. Many companies are watching Twitter for customer sentiments- you may get action from it.

Luvmypitgirls
January 5th, 2010, 02:01 PM
Luvmypitgirls, in addition to writing to head office, you should take it to Twitter. Many companies are watching Twitter for customer sentiments- you may get action from it.

OK, but could you please tell me what exactly is "Twitter"?

coppperbelle
January 5th, 2010, 07:24 PM
You should definitely write head office. Is there a return policy printed on the reciept?

Just before Christmas I went to a local Pier 1 to buy a Christmas gift. I found two ornaments and went to the cash where there was a man behind the counter busy doing something. He had an apron on so obviously was a store employee. He walked around the counter and me for at least 5 minutes. I felt completely invisible. Not once did he acknowledge me or call someone over to check me out. I stood there like an idiot waiting patiently for him to finish his putzing around. Finally a lady came over and asked him if he was going to ring up my purchase. He said something and she called over another girl to help me. The second lady never acknowledge me either. I couldn't believe how passive I was and when I left could feel my blood pressure start to rise. I could of kicked myself for not saying anything sooner. I wrote head office and received an apology and a promise that my concern would be forwarded to the store manager. I haven't heard anything and don't expect to but I felt better.
Does your local newspaper do articles on this kind of stuff?

rainbow
January 6th, 2010, 01:56 AM
OK, but could you please tell me what exactly is "Twitter"?

This is the Twitter website but I don't know how it works :o ....

http://twitter.com/

You could also write a review about Stokes on this website .....

http://www.n49.ca/p/richmond:1308/housewares/china_and_tableware/retailers/stokes/6551_no%252e_3_rd

dollface
January 6th, 2010, 02:06 AM
Twitter is basically updating your status all the time and replying to other ppl's statuses or if they comment on yours. If Stokes has a Twitter account, you could follow them and then write on their Twitter page about your experience.

I'm still in shock to hear employees talk to customers like they did to you! What happened to the customer is always right?! And in this economy to say that they don't need your business definately sounds like uncaring employees. Hope you get some redemption LMPG!! :fingerscr

You could also write a review about Stokes on this website .....

http://www.n49.ca/p/richmond:1308/housewares/china_and_tableware/retailers/stokes/6551_no%252e_3_rd

Seems like Stokes is going downhill fast; a scenario just like yours LMPG, from rainbow's link:

The worst company ever i bought a product and i needed to return it because it was damaged , the manager of the store shout at me , the district manager of the store hang up on me, and the customer service rep after shouting and hanging up on me made me cry with the disrespect she was talking to me.
bealive me don't buy anything from them go to Benix the service is friendly and the prices are better.

Luvmypitgirls
January 6th, 2010, 05:22 PM
I have left three voice mails on their customer service line, I have yet to hear back.
Hubby and I decided that we will donate the dishes (excluding the broken ones of course) to the Salvation Army. I don't even want to look at them let alone use them now.:mad:

We will be looking for new dishes at the end of the month, so until then I have pulled out my square Red/black, corningware ones to use again.

I hope Stokes goes under....:pray:

dollface
January 6th, 2010, 07:40 PM
If you have Facebook here are a few links to some groups for more word of mouth advertising :D
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=57358755192&ref=search&sid=519195617.3251364101..1
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=10855101025&ref=search&sid=519195617.3251364101..1