Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Home Made Suet?

luckypenny
January 3rd, 2010, 06:37 PM
Anyone have any good recipes for home made suet? I have some pork lard and bird seed but is there anything else I can add? And I don't have one of those wire suet holders...is there something else I can use/make?

aslan
January 3rd, 2010, 06:44 PM
hey lp,,, there are a bunch of different recipe's here...
www.birdnature.com/suet.html

and if you go to dollarama, buy a couple of the bags of chocolate balls you can use the mesh bag for the suet ball, then you and the birds are happy.:D

MyBirdIsEvil
January 3rd, 2010, 06:59 PM
You can pretty much use anything with holes the birds can get their beak in (and that they won't get caught in of course) that will hold the suet.

My dad used to use a piece of grill grating. He just nailed it to a tree.

rainbow
January 3rd, 2010, 07:26 PM
You can also use one of those mesh bags that onions come in. :thumbs up

aslan
January 3rd, 2010, 07:35 PM
You can also use one of those mesh bags that onions come in. :thumbs up

but then she doesn't get the chocolates..

rainbow
January 3rd, 2010, 07:38 PM
but then she doesn't get the chocolates..

But the dollar store chocolate is :yuck: ....LP has her own chocolate and it's the yummiest chocolate that I ever tasted. :cloud9:

And, the bags they come in are too little ....the 3lb onion bag is a good size. :D

luckypenny
January 3rd, 2010, 07:53 PM
Thanks for that link Aslan...I'll check it out!

Just cleaned out my refrigerator yesterday and must have thrown out 1/2 dozen onion bags :frustrated:. What I can get my hands on is this elasticized type cotton netting that we use to wrap hams...would that do? Or is that something birds can get caught in once the suet is almost all gone :o? I don't have my car for another week or two and DH won't go out to get me a feeder so I'll have to come up with something I can find around here. And what about fresh fruit vs. dried fruit (threw out some raisins and dehydrated apricots too during the big fridge cleanup :wall:)?

Oh, and pork fat is ok to use, right?

hazelrunpack
January 3rd, 2010, 07:56 PM
LP, there are a bunch of homemade suet recipes here: http://forum.feederwatch.org/2009/11/05/suet-cake-recipe/?vm=13#post13

It's from Cornell U's Project FeederWatch forum.

rainbow
January 3rd, 2010, 08:05 PM
Here's some ideas for holders from http://www.the-scoop-on-wild-birds-and-feeders.com/suetbirdfeeders.html

● Mesh onion bags make ideal and economical suet holders. Simply fill with clumps of fresh suet, suet balls or suet cakes and hang the bag outside.

● Wire mesh or screen can be cut in a rectangular or square shape. Then attach the piece to a board on three sides by stapling it or nailing. Leave the fourth side open at the top creating a “wow” for a pocket to insert the suet. It may be necessary to attach a lid to keep Squirrels and other critters from carrying off the whole clump.

● Pine cones spread with suet and rolled in seed.

● Spread suet on branches of trees.

● Suet can be worked into the holes of a feeder log. (A chunk of log not too thick, that has been drilled at intervals and hung up for the wild birds; is natural looking and great fun.)

● Suet can be stuffed into holes in a tree or post.

● Try these handy containers to hold suet that has been rendered

Melon shells

Egg shells

Coconut shells

Ice cream cones

Hard taco shells

Baked tart or pie shells

Cup shaped fruit rind from oranges or grapefruit

luckypenny
January 3rd, 2010, 08:09 PM
Aslan, that site gave me some good ideas on feeders...I actually have some leftover fencing I can use to wrap around trees :thumbs up.

Hazel, that's a great site too! But I only see recipes using beef fat. Has anyone used pork? I have it in lard form already :shrug:...only have to melt it down and add other yummies.

aslan
January 3rd, 2010, 08:12 PM
i would assume that fat is fat so pork should be just as good. ummm how exactly does one melt down lard..i thought you wanted it in a solid kinda form.

rainbow
January 3rd, 2010, 08:13 PM
According to this site you can use pork fat ...

http://www.trails.com/list_8193_homemade-suet-feeders.html

luckypenny
January 3rd, 2010, 08:34 PM
Thank you rainbow!!

Aslan, lard is solidified and rendered fat. We sell fried pork fat, sort of like 'cracklings' at our store. The leftover grease is poured into containers, cooled, and sold as lard. I'd have to melt it down again to add the rest of the ingredients, and cool it down again to form lard, or suet, cakes.

aslan
January 3rd, 2010, 08:35 PM
:eek: you didn't tell me you had cracklin when i was there...:sad:

luckypenny
January 3rd, 2010, 08:39 PM
You're going to have to come back :D.

rainbow
January 3rd, 2010, 10:30 PM
LP, I hope you know we want to see pics of your suet cakes once you've made them. :thumbs up

hazelrunpack
January 3rd, 2010, 10:39 PM
And of any birds that might be partaking of them :D

luckypenny
January 3rd, 2010, 10:50 PM
LP, I hope you know we want to see pics of your suet cakes once you've made them. :thumbs up

For sure. Bendyfoot's project, and the Blue Jays and Cardinals we see here, really inspired me :goodvibes:.

And of any birds that might be partaking of them :D

If I can sneak up close enough. The wooded area is pretty far from the house with just my camera so not sure if I can take them from the window or deck. But I sure will try :thumbs up.

DH says "good luck! If it turns out anything like your cooking....."

He's so mean :yell:.

hazelrunpack
January 3rd, 2010, 10:52 PM
Fer sumone who can't scratch behind his ear properly, he's got a lot of noive gripin' 'bout yer cookin'! :frustrated:

:laughing:

luckypenny
January 3rd, 2010, 10:55 PM
Yeah, that :D.

Or he's been tasting the poison :rolleyes:.

hazelrunpack
January 3rd, 2010, 10:58 PM

I won't ask for details. :p

luckypenny
January 3rd, 2010, 11:04 PM
And I can't give them...it may implicate me in court :D.

hazelrunpack
January 3rd, 2010, 11:10 PM

Ah, but there's always a comfy spot available in the Hazel Run Prison if you need one. :D

rainbow
January 3rd, 2010, 11:13 PM
Fer sumone who can't scratch behind his ear properly, he's got a lot of noive gripin' 'bout yer cookin'! :frustrated:

Maybe you should mix in a bit of tripe with his next meal if he thinks your cooking is so bad. :D

hazelrunpack
January 3rd, 2010, 11:17 PM
:laughing: :laugh:

:eeew:

:laugh:

luckypenny
January 3rd, 2010, 11:30 PM

Ah, but there's always a comfy spot available in the Hazel Run Prison if you need one. :D

:cloud9: :goodvibes: :lovestruck: :cloud9: Thanks for the offer Hazel :D!

Maybe you should mix in a bit of tripe with his next meal if he thinks your cooking is so bad. :D

Only if I want him to leave for good.

Wait :lightbulb:...

Thank you Rainbow, I can always count on you for good ideas :grouphug: :goodvibes:.

hazelrunpack
January 3rd, 2010, 11:33 PM

rainbow
January 3rd, 2010, 11:37 PM
Only if I want him to leave for good.

Wait :lightbulb:...

Thank you Rainbow, I can always count on you for good ideas :grouphug: :goodvibes:.

But dh would never leave you cuz he wuvs you bunches. :D

luckypenny
January 3rd, 2010, 11:45 PM
But dh would never leave you cuz he wuvs you bunches. :D

Darn it :frustrated:.

Just kidding...I kinda like the jerk too :laughing:.

rainbow
January 3rd, 2010, 11:48 PM
Yep, it's like ya can't live with them and ya can't live without them. :rolleyes:

Chris21711
January 4th, 2010, 09:35 AM
Nice of the girls to give you friendly tips on disposing of DH :D

Back on topic, kinda, if you have squirrels around LP, I found when using the onion bags, the squiggies chewed the bag also and the suet dropped to the ground and the dawgs ate it :yuck:....then they were sick :yuck:

hazelrunpack
January 4th, 2010, 08:01 PM
If you buy some commercial suet and a standard metal suet cage, you can use the empty suet container as a mold for your home-made suet and it will fit in the suet cage :thumbs up The only investment is a few cakes of commercial suet and the suet feeder.

luckypenny
January 4th, 2010, 10:51 PM
Nice of the girls to give you friendly tips on disposing of DH :D

That what friends are for :cloud9: :D.

Back on topic, kinda, if you have squirrels around LP, I found when using the onion bags, the squiggies chewed the bag also and the suet dropped to the ground and the dawgs ate it :yuck:....then they were sick :yuck:

Our fence is inside the line of trees to the woods so the dogs can't get to the suet...or the squirrels :rolleyes:. I'm gonna have to remember to pick up a bag of peanuts for the squirrels too then :lovestruck:.

If you buy some commercial suet and a standard metal suet cage, you can use the empty suet container as a mold for your home-made suet and it will fit in the suet cage :thumbs up The only investment is a few cakes of commercial suet and the suet feeder.

I'm going to get dh to help make a few homemade feeders first though...then have him drive me to the stores to get the commercial suet feeders :D.

Hopefully I'll have them ready and up by tomorrow afternoon :fingerscr.

rainbow
January 4th, 2010, 11:03 PM
I'm going to get dh to help make a few homemade feeders first though...then have him drive me to the stores to get the commercial suet feeders :D.

Hopefully I'll have them ready and up by tomorrow afternoon :fingerscr.

WOO HOO ....congrats on getting dh to help you make the feeders. :thumbs up

Perhaps all of our comments last night reached him telepathically while he was sleeping. :D

luckypenny
January 4th, 2010, 11:07 PM
WOO HOO ....congrats on getting dh to help you make the feeders. :thumbs up

Perhaps all of our comments last night reached him telepathically while he was sleeping. :D

Wait! I haven't told him he's helping yet :laughing:.

rainbow
January 4th, 2010, 11:24 PM
Wait! I haven't told him he's helping yet :laughing:.

I am disappointed in him ....he should have got the hints by now. :D

luckypenny
January 4th, 2010, 11:31 PM
I just have to bring in some wood tomorrow, drag out his tools, make a mess and pretend like I have no idea what I'm doing (which I don't :D)...and he'll grumble, "ohforchrissakes, givemethat, I'll do it." Works every time :thumbs up :laughing:.

rainbow
January 4th, 2010, 11:42 PM
:laugh: :laugh:

I actually think they like it when we manipulate them like that. :laughing:

luckypenny
January 4th, 2010, 11:46 PM
Yeah, someone's got to think up of things for them to do to keep them busy :shrug:.

:D

rainbow
January 4th, 2010, 11:54 PM
:laughing: yep ........ mine is 66 yr old and the best thing would be is if he went back to work so I don't have to put up with him 24/7. :D

Jenkinsdjtg
January 5th, 2010, 03:13 AM
I know im late to this thread but heres my home recipe.
(i guess the measurements)

•Peanut butter
•Lard/suet
•Bird seed
•Berries
•Whole nuts
•Butter
•Canola Oil
•Sugar

Mix ingredients in saucepan over low heat until melted then add solid ingredients.
Pour into molds and freeze.
-add more lard/suet for a higher melting point.
freeze twine into the suet to hang it.

luckypenny
January 5th, 2010, 03:49 PM
:frustrated:

Made the apple thingies Bendy showed us...got friggen peanut butter all over the place and spilled a bag of cornmeal. Once they were pretty much done, I stood there like a fool for 15 minutes trying to "think" of how to tie them together :clown:. Of course DH had to walk in at that point and just started laughing at me :censored:. So I just made individual ones. Went to the back gate to get into the woods and it's frozen solid :mad:. Decided to walk around the outside of the fence and by the time I got into the side yard, the snow drifts are up to my hips...and my boot came off and filled with snow :yell:. So I hung them on a tree on the side of the house with no view from the windows :loser:.

So, how bloody long does it take the suet mixture to harden? Cuz they've been in my fridge for hours now and it's still all mush :sad:. And what's up with dehydrating blueberries in the oven?? At the rate it's going, it'll be March before they're dried :rolleyes:.

luckypenny
January 5th, 2010, 05:35 PM
So the blueberries now look like tiny pieces of gravel :rolleyes:. Think the birds will still like them :o?

And the suet cakes hardened up some but are still too soft imo. Can I put them in the freezer and hang out once they're frozen? That sounds like a silly question, I know...they'll freeze outside anyways :rolleyes:.

hazelrunpack
January 5th, 2010, 08:08 PM
Go ahead and freeze 'em. :D As you say....it's cooooolldd outside! :laughing: The birds will eat them whether they're hard or not, though.

I've heard that if you render the suet twice, it makes it firmer, but I've never done it.

rainbow
January 5th, 2010, 11:53 PM
Ummmm ....does this mean that we're not getting pics now? :sad:

Marcha
January 6th, 2010, 12:37 AM
But the dollar store chocolate is :yuck: ....LP has her own chocolate and it's the yummiest chocolate that I ever tasted. :cloud9: :D

Must have more detail about this yummiest chocolate please. :D

Chris21711
January 6th, 2010, 10:34 AM
LP we need pics of your latest venture :crazy:.....

Love4himies
January 6th, 2010, 11:14 AM
:frustrated:

Made the apple thingies Bendy showed us...got friggen peanut butter all over the place and spilled a bag of cornmeal. Once they were pretty much done, I stood there like a fool for 15 minutes trying to "think" of how to tie them together :clown:. Of course DH had to walk in at that point and just started laughing at me :censored:. So I just made individual ones. Went to the back gate to get into the woods and it's frozen solid :mad:. Decided to walk around the outside of the fence and by the time I got into the side yard, the snow drifts are up to my hips...and my boot came off and filled with snow :yell:. So I hung them on a tree on the side of the house with no view from the windows :loser:.

So, how bloody long does it take the suet mixture to harden? Cuz they've been in my fridge for hours now and it's still all mush :sad:. And what's up with dehydrating blueberries in the oven?? At the rate it's going, it'll be March before they're dried :rolleyes:.

LP we need pics of your latest venture :crazy:.....

I would love to see of video of this latest adventure :laughing: :laughing:

Love4himies
January 6th, 2010, 11:17 AM
I know im late to this thread but heres my home recipe.
(i guess the measurements)

•Peanut butter
•Lard/suet
•Bird seed
•Berries
•Whole nuts
•Butter
•Canola Oil
•Sugar

Mix ingredients in saucepan over low heat until melted then add solid ingredients.
Pour into molds and freeze.
-add more lard/suet for a higher melting point.
freeze twine into the suet to hang it.

I too am interested in making my own suet.

Where do I get the suet fat from? When you state Lard, is that baking lard you get in the baking aisle?

luckypenny
January 6th, 2010, 01:26 PM
I would love to see of video of this latest adventure :laughing: :laughing:

I would have loved to see a video of it too...a good laugh was needed at that point :D.

L4H, you can get beef or pork fat at a butcher. You just melt/cook it down slowly in a pot to make the lard...careful, it has to be on low heat! Or some deli's/butchers already have it in lard form.

So here are a few pics I managed to take. First two are Bendy's idea...peanut butter and bird seed...and I made a few with cornmeal and cream of wheat (what a mess!). Third pic is the feeder dh :lovestruck: made me. I'll take more of it when I get food into it and it's hanging.

Hazel, if the pics are too big, let me know and I'll re-size them.

luckypenny
January 6th, 2010, 01:31 PM
No birds found the ones I hung yesterday by the side of the house :sad:. So I put on my snowshoes, dh dug out the back gate (I think he felt sorry for me :D), and moved them to the edge of the woods where we've seen Blue Jays and Cardinals already. :fingerscr the birdies find them.

Marcha
January 6th, 2010, 03:15 PM
Those look great LP! :thumbs up

And from your lack of response to the chocolate, I presume you're keeping the kind/brand of yummiest chocolate you have a secret from us all? :frustrated: :angel:

hazelrunpack
January 6th, 2010, 04:02 PM
They do look great, LP! :highfive: Patience, patience. The birds will find them....:D

So nice of dh to make you a feeder!!!!!

luckypenny
January 6th, 2010, 11:07 PM
And from your lack of response to the chocolate, I presume you're keeping the kind/brand of yummiest chocolate you have a secret from us all? :frustrated: :angel:

Do you have any Eastern European shops in your area? You'll find some of these brands there I'm sure. The chocolate wafers are my fav :cloud9:.

rainbow
January 6th, 2010, 11:28 PM
LP, great job on the suet balls :thumbs up and nice job dh did on the holder ....the big marshmallow that he is. :D

Do you have any Eastern European shops in your area? You'll find some of these brands there I'm sure. The chocolate wafers are my fav :cloud9:.

So, you're telling me that I've saved the best ones for the last? :goodvibes:

I was in heaven when I ate the Wawel choc bar :cloud9: and went back again with the Jules Destrooper ones which will be gone momentarily. :D

rainbow
January 6th, 2010, 11:30 PM
Oh, and I hope you tell dh how much we all love him for making the suet holder. :angel:

Marcha
January 6th, 2010, 11:33 PM
Thanks! Being from Europe, I am familiar with both kinds in the images, and I totally agree they are delicious! There's a Polish shop in the city - I'll see next time I'm there (which might be weeks) if they have those kinds there!

Love4himies
January 7th, 2010, 06:57 AM
L4H, you can get beef or pork fat at a butcher. You just melt/cook it down slowly in a pot to make the lard...careful, it has to be on low heat! Or some deli's/butchers already have it in lard form.

So here are a few pics I managed to take. First two are Bendy's idea...peanut butter and bird seed...and I made a few with cornmeal and cream of wheat (what a mess!). Third pic is the feeder dh :lovestruck: made me. I'll take more of it when I get food into it and it's hanging.

Hazel, if the pics are too big, let me know and I'll re-size them.

Ohhhhh, not only are they feeding the sweet birds, they are so pretty too :lovestruck: :thumbs up

I know my butcher keeps a huge barrel that all his waste goes into, but there is some scrapings of meat attached, I assume I would have to take all traces of meat off it?