Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Advice Please....

Luvmypitgirls
January 2nd, 2010, 02:44 PM
I have yet to go to bed, so please excuse any typos etc.
Last night I found two Labs, one black, one golden. Both are rather dirty and skrawny. They have choke collars on , and no tags.
I have called High River bylaw several times to no avail.
I have a distinct feeling these two were dumped out here in the fields.

Does anyone know of a Rescue in the High River/Calgary area that could take these two? I have signs up on my fence, but nobody has come forward to claim them, and my dogs aren't too happy with them here.

I don't want to take them to the SPCA because they are overloaded as is, and I'm afraid they will be euthed.
I estimate the black one to be 18months-2 yrs, and the golden to be approx 2-3yrs. But thats just a guess on my part.

Any help would be appreciated, I don't want them to be put down. They are both intact males, and they are very bonded.They are of awesome temperment too.

Frenchy
January 2nd, 2010, 02:47 PM
Have you tried petfinder , like if your searching for dogs up for adoption , put your postal code and it will give you all the rescues in your area.

thanks for picking them up ! :grouphug:

luckypenny
January 2nd, 2010, 02:53 PM
LMPG, here's contact info for Lab Rescue in Alberta. If they are too far from you, I'm sure transport can be organized.

http://www.calgarylabrescue.com/home.htm

Thank you for keeping an eye on them :grouphug:.

luckypenny
January 2nd, 2010, 02:58 PM
Here's Lab Rescue in Ontario. These folks are amazing and can at least give you referrals/advice on where to go next.

http://www.lab-rescue.ca/index.html

rainbow
January 2nd, 2010, 02:58 PM
I hope the rescue LP listed will be able to help you. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

Thanks for taking them in :2huggers: and good luck. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

14+kitties
January 2nd, 2010, 03:02 PM
No advice. Just lots of thanks for taking in these two. I hope you can get them into rescue fast!! :grouphug:
It just never seems to end does it?

angeldogs
January 2nd, 2010, 03:49 PM
I hope you can get these two into rescue.:fingerscr.it good that you were able to get them and watch them.poor boys must have been starving.

Luvmypitgirls
January 2nd, 2010, 08:13 PM
Well just thought I'd update ya's....

When I left messages for Bylaw, I made a commitment to keep them till Monday. But if they hadn't been claimed by then that they would have to come take them.

I put big signs up on my fence, with my phone number and also that a detailed description/proof of ownership would be required to claim.
One of my neighbors, called a local rescue and gave them my name and number for me too.

Well, as luck would have it, I got a call half hour ago from the owner. He gave a very detailed description, and he was very eager to come get them. Apparently he drove around all day looking for them, guess he just didn't make it by my place. He got my number from the rescue that my neighbor called.

Anyway, Blade and Buddy, who I found out are father and son, are now reunited with their humans.:D
The gentleman, offered to pay me for taking care of them, of course I declined, I was just happy to see them make it home.

After they left I did a headsmack, I wish I had taken their picture, it never even occurred to me to do so while they were here. They were so dang cute, especially Buddy what a Goober he was.:D

So thank you all for the advice and the links, I'm saving them just incase I may need them some other time, I hope I don't but ya never know.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to bed, I stayed up all night long with the Labs, and I'm exhausted....Good night ya'll!:D

rainbow
January 2nd, 2010, 08:18 PM
WOOOO HOOOO, great news that they have been reunited with their owner :highfive: ....you know how we love happy endings here. :thumbs up

Enjoy your well deserved sleep :cloud9: and, I hope you don't get any interuptions. :fingerscr

hazelrunpack
January 2nd, 2010, 08:29 PM
Yep, a well-deserved sleep, indeed! :D Congrats for bringing about this reunion, LMPG! :highfive: :grouphug:

Macomom
January 2nd, 2010, 08:34 PM
Great job! :highfive:

totallyhip
January 2nd, 2010, 10:14 PM
I love Happy Endings!!! :D

angeldogs
January 3rd, 2010, 01:43 AM
That's great news.glad they were reunited with their humans.

Luvmypitgirls
January 3rd, 2010, 12:51 PM
After I logged off after my post, I went upstairs, decided to sit and enjoy a tall glass of orange juice before I went to bed. As I headed for the bedroom the phone rang, and it was the owner of the Labs again.
He wanted to thank me from the bottom of his heart for taking in and caring for his dogs, the guy was in tears.
Apparently this is the second time in three weeks his dogs have taken off. He collected them from the city pound last time.I told him that perhaps, they caught scent of a female in heat or something, that perhaps he may want to think about neutering,they urge to run off would diminish somewhat.
He told me, that in the 4 and 1/2 years that they lived on the acreage his dogs never left the property via just taking off.
He told me their mother died about 4 weeks ago, and they have been different ever since. He truly feels they are off trying to find her. He started sounding more weepy at this moment, and all I could think to say was "how sad, I'm sorry to hear that". Then I said, "I believe dogs feel loss just as much as we humans do", and that I was sorry. He was silent for a moment, and to be honest I was so tired all I wanted to do was say good night and hang up.
He thanked me sobbing, for giving him back his dogs. I felt bad for him but I also felt a little uncomfortable and said no problem and I wished him a good evening.
Then it struck me, for when he told me about their mom dying, my first thought was the female that he bred his male too, I was so damn tired I didn't connect his words, he was speaking of his wife, "their mother".
I feel so bad, this poor man was obviously looking for someone to talk with, and I rushed him off, cuz I was so tired.
I was thinking maybe calling him today, maybe just to tell him that his dogs were fantastic with our son, how impressed we were with how well mannered they are, something to break the ice, get him talking if he wants to.
Or perhaps I should just let it go, and hope that I don't find his dogs wandering again.
I just feel so terrible.