Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Tessie has just tested FIV+

kathryn
January 2nd, 2010, 09:23 AM
Hi all... back again with some more depressing news. Tessie got sick yesterday and had a really gross eye. Green pus was coming out. The vets office was closed so we cleaned it up and when I called again my vets office was still closed today.

Luckily one of the vets at the shelter was there this morning. He looked at her and she has a mild URI but her eye was really gross. We cleaned it out and now we are using clavamox and tobermycin.

While there I figured might as well test her. And, of course, FIV+.

I'm not too sure what to do :shrug: Now I've got to get the rest of my cats tested. I'm going to start with the friendly cats first.. Probably Mr. Kitten, Mr. Sniffles, Maxwell and possibly Socks.. Kasey tends to bite and Missy is so heavy I don't feel like hauling her anywhere.

Uck.

kathryn
January 3rd, 2010, 08:49 PM
Does anyone here know anything about interferon?? :confused:

I also want to find out if there is anymore bloodwork I can do to confirm the diagnoses. This is just one more thing on my plate...

14+kitties
January 3rd, 2010, 08:59 PM
Kathryn - please read this. And in particular the part I copied here which is bolded.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feline_immunodeficiency_virus

Testing

Veterinarians will check a cat's history, look for clinical signs, and possibly administer a blood test for FIV antibodies. FIV affects 2-3% of cats in the US and testing is readily available. It should be noted that this testing identifies those cats that carry the FIV antibody, and does not detect the actual virus. Therefore, a positive test does not necessarily mean the cat is a carrier of FIV.
False positives occur when the cat carries the antibody (which is harmless), but does not carry the actual virus. The most frequent occurrence of this is when kittens are tested after ingesting the antibodies from mother's milk, and when testing cats that have been previously vaccinated for FIV. For this reason, neither kittens under 8 weeks, nor cats that have been previously vaccinated are tested.
Kittens and young cats that test positive for the FIV antibody may test negative at a later time due to seroreversion, provided they have never been infected with FIV and have never been immunized with the FIV vaccine.
Cats that have been vaccinated will test positive for the FIV antibody for the rest of their life due to seroconversion, even though they are not infected. Therefore, testing of strays or adopted cats is inconclusive, since it is impossible to know whether or not they have been vaccinated in the past. For these reasons, a positive FIV antibody test by itself should never be used as criteria for euthanasia.[citation needed]
Tests can be performed in a vet's office with results in minutes, allowing for quick consultation. Early detection helps maintain the cat's health and prevents spreading infection to other cats. With proper care, infected cats can live long and healthy lives.

RUSTYcat
January 3rd, 2010, 10:46 PM
Kathryn -
If this happened to me, I'd immediately join one (maybe both) of these groups

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/FIVCats/?v=1&t=search&ch=web&pub=groups&sec=group&slk=2

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/FIVCats2/?v=1&t=search&ch=web&pub=groups&sec=group&slk=3

That's where you will find people with lots of FIV management experience (often, more than most Vets)- they do it 24/7/365.

rainbow
January 4th, 2010, 01:21 AM
I have no advice kathryn but just wanted to send you lots of :pray: :fingerscr :goodvibes: :grouphug:

Love4himies
January 4th, 2010, 11:41 AM
Ahhhh, that is crappy, Kathryn :sad: :cry:. I don't have any advice either but wanted to give you a :grouphug:

kathryn
January 4th, 2010, 11:56 AM
The test we did was the basic IDEXX Snap test- FeLV/FIV/HW test. It's unlikely she has ever been vaccinated being she was abused, then abandoned... She's probably had it this whole time and that would explain her poor coat and teeth. But because she never got sick we never thought about it... the vet said it's probably because she does keep to herself her exposure to illness has been greatly reduced. She's the one that lives on the chair.

We are trying to figure out the cost of the bloodtest that goes to the lab to check for the actual antigens. The lady who runs the clinic is on vacation this week and none of us know how to order tests like that.

Timmy's vet will be in tomorrow. I'm going to ask him for his recommendations and I am also waiting to hear back from my regular vet (the one I actually pay to see... LOL) I guess I'm lucky to be friends with so many vets ... all you have to do is bake them some cookies and they'll help you with anything :angel: hehehehe...

I'm going to be taking Mr. Kitten, Mr. Sniffles, Tripod, Jack & Buddy to be tested today. The first 3 because they are really Tessie's only 'friends' and have the most contact with her. Jack because he has some immune system problems anyways with the FHV-1.. and Buddy cause my parents STILL let him go outside :frustrated: :yell: :wall: So just to make sure he isn't the one bringing in diseases.

Will let you know how it goes... :fingerscr we are going to test now and test again in a few weeks and try to see what is going on...

ancientgirl
January 4th, 2010, 12:36 PM
That's terrible news. I'm sorry you are having to deal with this now. :grouphug:

kathryn
January 4th, 2010, 02:48 PM
I tested the 5 cats and they were all negative. I'm looking into the more specific FIV test that you send the blood out for.

I talked to my vet and he suggested I really should try to separate her. He said the exposure has already happened though so while everyone may be fine now if she has it she could spread it at anytime. He also said that since she is now 'sick' and will be symptomatic that we can try to use medications to delay everything from getting worse, but obviously FIV cats can get sick from other problems or the FIV can get worse.

He basically said to just get the more specific test done, keep testing the other cats and go from there.

I'll talk to Timmy's vet tomorrow and see if he can do anything to help :shrug:

Frenchy
January 4th, 2010, 02:51 PM
I'm so sorry kathryn :sad: