Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Shasta is gone...

MyBirdIsEvil
January 1st, 2010, 06:07 PM
We had her put to sleep on Dec. 22nd, she most likely had pancreatic cancer. I would have posted sooner but I really didn't want you guys to have to read this before Christmas and all, not to mention being busy myself with holiday stuff. I also wasn't sure exactly what to say, but I guess there's no good way to tell people this kind of news.
Just so everyone knows, we did stay with her until the very end. It was hard to watch, but there was absolutely no way we were going to abandon her like her previous owners. She went peacefully and it only took a minute or so for the chemicals to do their thing. It was a hard and heartbreaking decision, but to let the cancer take her would have been much more painful and cruel.

We, and our vet, are 99.9% certain she had pancreatic cancer. The only way to be 100% positive would have been exploratory surgery (putting her under and cutting her open) which we all decided would have been unnecessarily stressful to a sick, underweight 13 yr old dog.
She did not respond as expected to the pancreatitis treatment, and ended up almost completely losing mobility in her back legs (which is a symptom of pancreatic cancer). Going to the bathroom was nearly impossible for her and she could not stand up on her own anymore. She had no appetite and in the end didn't even want water. If you read the symptoms of pancreatic cancer they read like a list of her symptoms.

After 5 days at our vet I went to pick her up and she only was SLIGHTLY better. She did perk up and eat for a couple of days but then she stopped eating altogether. After 3 days of not eating she stopped drinking water altogether, and that's when we decided to have her put to sleep. She was down to 34 lbs from her normal 45-50 (she had been 37lbs when we left her at the vet, so she'd lost even more weight). When we brought her in to have it done she was pretty unresponsive overall. We had her wrapped tight in a blanket and she was shivering and shaking, even though it wasn't cold. She didn't even really respond when the needle was put in other than to twitch her ears a little bit.
Regardless, I did have some second thoughts (wouldn't anyone?), but I'm pretty sure she'd already given up. She was obviously miserable and in pain and I couldn't watch her suffer any longer. I wish there was more we could have done, but the only other step was to cut her open and look directly at the cancer, just to know for 100% sure, which would have been way too stressful to her, and pointless, since all other signs pointed to that diagnosis.

Shaykeija
January 1st, 2010, 06:10 PM
I am so sorry for your loss. My heart goes out to you.:rip: little one

14+kitties
January 1st, 2010, 06:35 PM
:candle::rip: beautiful Shasta :candle:

MBIE - Thank you so much for being this girls angel in her final days. You gave her the love she so deserved. :grouphug: Never second guess yourself on your decision. If she could have I'm sure she would have thanked you for ending her suffering. She is now at the bridge pain free and at peace. :grouphug:

rainbow
January 1st, 2010, 06:56 PM
MBIE, I am so sorry and my sincerest condolences to you and your family. :grouphug: :candle:

The final act of kindness is the hardest thing to do but Shasta is now pain free and playing at the Rainbow Bridge. :cloud9:

:rip: Sweet Sasha :candle:

Chris21711
January 1st, 2010, 07:01 PM
You gave Shasta the best MBIE :)

:candle: Sweet Shasta

The members of this forum that worked together to find Shasta a loving home in her final days, TRULY ROCK, you are all :angel:s

luckypenny
January 1st, 2010, 08:20 PM
I'm so sorry MBIE :grouphug:...but am comforted to know Shasta found her way to your loving home at her time of most need.

RIP Shasta :candle:

hazelrunpack
January 1st, 2010, 08:27 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss of beautiful Shasta, MBIE :grouphug: She was very lucky to have ended up with you for her final days. You were her :angel:

:candle: Shasta

norm258
January 1st, 2010, 08:53 PM
My sincere condolences. I too lost a beloved pet over Christmas and know exactly how you must be feeling.

:candle:

Norm

the gang
January 1st, 2010, 09:49 PM
god bless you- been there done that, not a easy thing to do, run free to the bridge little one:candle: brenda and the pins

growler~GateKeeper
January 1st, 2010, 10:00 PM
:rip: sweet :angel2: Shasta :candle: She is playing at the Rainbow Bridge (http://www.indigo.org/rainbowbridge_ver2.html) with those who've gone before :candle:

:grouphug:

Dee-O-Gee
January 1st, 2010, 10:01 PM
So sorry to hear of your loss of Shasta MBIE. My heart goes out to you and your family.

:rip: Sweet Shasta. :candle:

Winston
January 1st, 2010, 10:48 PM
MBIE I am so sorry! Shasta's time came way too early! THANKYOU from the bottom of my heart for finding the space in your home for her and giving her that unconditional love when she needed it the most. I personally will never forget Shasta. She stole a piece of my heart and all I did was help trasnport her. It is people like you that make me want to stay in rescue!

RIP Sweet Angel! Your free of pain now.

Cindy
:candle::dog:

Luvmypitgirls
January 1st, 2010, 10:55 PM
MBIE, my sincere condolences for your loss.:grouphug:
:candle: Shasta, there is no doubt you were deeply loved and will be greatly missed, run free at the Bridge:angel:

My Lodi Girl
January 2nd, 2010, 01:15 AM
MBIE I am so sorry for your loss. Shasta will be waiting for you at Rainbow Bridge. You made one of the hardest decisions we ever have to face as pet parents and you put Shasta's well-being above your own. My heart breaks for you. Take care.
:rip: Sweet Shasta :candle:

Chaser
January 2nd, 2010, 01:34 AM
She sounded like such a lovely girl I can only imagine what a loss this must be for you :grouphug:

You made a very difficult but kind decision and I hope you can take comfort in knowing you gave her love and a home to enjoy in her last few months.

:candle: Shasta

Jenkinsdjtg
January 2nd, 2010, 07:06 AM
i grieve your loss, i cant imagine what its like to lose a pet.

quincymycat
January 2nd, 2010, 08:14 AM
MBIE, I really feel for you and appreciate the pain you must be in. I did not know of Shasta, but I am sure you did the best thing for her knowing the consequences for you.:rip: :candle:

Winston
January 2nd, 2010, 08:34 AM
MBIE I hope you dont mind if I post these links about Shasta. There are some new followers here and I am sure they would love to hear about how you saved Shasta and opened your home to her! :thumbs up

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=65055&highlight=shasta
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=65324&highlight=shasta
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=66157&highlight=shasta

RIP Sweet one!

chico2
January 2nd, 2010, 10:13 AM
Having followed Shastas story,I am in tears,however I am happy Shasta spent her last few months in home filled with love for her.
Thank's to our wonderful rescuers and MBIE :grouphug:
The final unselfish act of love,was letting her go,peacefully and without pain,Shasta will be remembered..:candle:

Frenchy
January 2nd, 2010, 11:07 AM
I'm so sorry MyBirdIsEvil :sad:

You gave Shasta a great retirement ! Thank you for that ! :grouphug:

krdahmer
January 2nd, 2010, 11:23 AM
I'm so sorry for your loss.:sad: She was a beautiful girl, and it sounds like she definitely wasn't lacking for love in your home. Good for you for staying till the end, and letting her leave this world surrounded with love. :grouphug:

:rip: Beautiful Girl. :angel2:

shirley1011
January 2nd, 2010, 02:11 PM
Shasta was such a lucky girl to have found such a great family to spend her last few months...thank you for giving her such a wonderful home. I am so sorry for your loss, I know you came to love her so much and it is never easy.
Rest in Peace beautiful Shasta

MyBirdIsEvil
January 2nd, 2010, 05:18 PM
Thank you everyone for your thoughts and support :grouphug:

Winston, I don't mind at all if you post links.

Sucks that she went so soon, but at least she got a few months of comfort and stability. She settled in quickly and was very happy up until she got sick. It's sad how quickly that disease can take an animal since she was pretty energetic and even chasing cats in the backyard just a couple of weeks prior.

Either way, I don't regret adopting her at all. She was a sweet and loving girl even if she didn't get to be with us very long. I will probably look for another senior for my next adoption (though I dunno when that will be). I've always been partial to adopting older animals since the puppies and kittens seem to have less trouble finding homes.

dbg10
January 2nd, 2010, 06:04 PM
MBIE what a wonderful thing you did bringing Shasta into your home for the last few months of her life. She at least experienced what a loving family was, before she passed. She can now run free in Rainbow Bridge :rip::candle:

I hadn't followed the story of Shasta but read it today after Winston posted the links. You are an angel :angel: for taking her.

Your story makes me think that taking both of the dogs now might work out the best for her. two senior dogs for adoption (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=866103#post866103)

MyBirdIsEvil
January 2nd, 2010, 06:17 PM
MBIE what a wonderful thing you did bringing Shasta into your home for the last few months of her life. She at least experienced what a loving family was, before she passed. She can now run free in Rainbow Bridge :rip::candle:

I hadn't followed the story of Shasta but read it today after Winston posted the links. You are an angel :angel: for taking her.

Your story makes me think that taking both of the dogs now might work out the best for her. two senior dogs for adoption (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=866103#post866103)

Well, after reading your thread, I personally wouldn't want the 2 separated, whether they stay there or go with you. Dogs do get very attached to each other.

I would kind of lean toward thinking adopting them both would be the best idea. If she dies while they're at the foster home, he's going to be very stressed being moved to a new home right afterward. If they both move to your home they'll be slightly stressed but they will both be together.

cpietra16
January 2nd, 2010, 07:49 PM
Im sorry for your loss...My condolences to you and your family:sad:

Tundra_Queen
January 3rd, 2010, 07:33 AM
I am so sorry to hear of your loss. :sad: