Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What Breed do you rescue or looking for ?

HelenNutmeg
December 29th, 2009, 06:52 AM
Hi Gang... As I see so many pure breeds being PTS.. and have been able to save other than my bassets at times I'm wondering if there are any of you looking for ???? .. like the gang and her minpin .. a chinese crest shar pei +++ .. I know several might do all breed but IF you know someone looking for Please let me know.. I hate the idea of dogs/cats being shoved in gas chambers..

Shaykeija
December 29th, 2009, 07:51 AM
I do small dogs. Shih tzhu's mostly. But I have been known to rehome poodle mixes too. Right now, I have no one that wants a dog. But in the near future I probably will.

Jessicadelage
January 1st, 2010, 02:10 PM
I take in any breed/size dog and other animals too.
Right now I have a rabbit and a Golden Retriever puppy.

echoica
January 1st, 2010, 05:09 PM
Border Collies! but I am not looking right now...

coppperbelle
January 1st, 2010, 06:28 PM
I rescue Golden Retrievers

the gang
January 1st, 2010, 07:57 PM
thanks helen, your at the top of my list, i always have people looking, will keep you posted, and once again thanks for keeping your eyes opened brenda.

t.pettet
January 1st, 2010, 08:02 PM
Poms, poodles and mixes of the two.

Macomom
January 1st, 2010, 09:03 PM
Our preference are the big breeds, Rotties, mastiffs, Danes, Newfs etc...

Jenkinsdjtg
January 2nd, 2010, 07:35 AM
i dont rescue but
Tollers, Australian shepherds, Newfies, Irish wolf hounds, Danes, its hard to pick a favorite.

Sheri H
January 2nd, 2010, 08:19 AM
You probably won't come across one, but I could probably get Alen to agree to squeeze in another Caucasian Ovcharka as long as he/she is good with other dogs and cats.

babymomma
January 2nd, 2010, 11:18 PM
If you can manage to fly one to Newfoundland I can take in A yorkie at a time and get him/her adopted thru one of our Spca's.

HelenNutmeg
January 7th, 2010, 11:00 PM
You probably won't come across one, but I could probably get Alen to agree to squeeze in another Caucasian Ovcharka as long as he/she is good with other dogs and cats.

http://photocache.petfinder.com/fotos/NC514/NC514.15365237-1-pn.jpg

Bear is a gorgeous Caucasian Ovcharka, aka Caucasian Mountain Dog. He is approximately only a year old and is very calm and laid back.

http://photocache.petfinder.com/fotos/PA512/PA512.14004241-2-x.jpg

He would also like a home with big dog experience. Sultan is absolutely gorgeous, especially with his silly cropped ears. Now, he has this little furry tuffs! Sultan is a fantastic dog who is so excited for his forever home.

BenMax
January 8th, 2010, 11:23 AM
Helen - where is this dog above? I have a rescue that would be interested.

Thanks

HelenNutmeg
January 8th, 2010, 12:01 PM
Helen - where is this dog above? I have a rescue that would be interested.

Thanks

They are in the Almost Home Animal Sanctuary.. Limekiln PA.. 484-220-0418

BHRR
January 11th, 2010, 07:00 PM
BHRR is a Giant Breed Canine and Equine Rescue yet we have almost been exclusively working with Great Danes since 2001.

We like to focus on the SN's - deaf, blind, injured, sick etc.

HelenNutmeg
January 13th, 2010, 07:43 AM
Would you take any that are stamped PTS ... I see them in the lists.. and can bring them up to Prescott On. or maybe TO.

Helen

BHRR
January 13th, 2010, 02:36 PM
Helen,

Prescott, ON is about 20 minutes from us. :)

Depends on why they are being scheduled to be pts. BHRR will not commit to known human bite aggression history animals nor to those that miserably fail temperament testing. BHRR assists many 'death' row Giant Breeds.

Would you take any that are stamped PTS ... I see them in the lists.. and can bring them up to Prescott On. or maybe TO.

Helen

HelenNutmeg
January 13th, 2010, 02:44 PM
So you would take one with PTS on its head.. I can only bring through what I have commitments for.

Tundra_Queen
February 10th, 2010, 08:38 PM
Hi
I hope it is ok for me to post here. I'm been thinking about adopting a little dog. One that is easy going, not high strung, gets along with cats, kids and an older dog. I have looked at Bichon Frise, but read that they have knee problems and ear problems and problems with housetraining. Also looked at shih tzhus, but was told some have problems with housetraining.

I would like to get the pup from a rescue and preferably a younger dog/pup. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks
Debbie

Frenchy
February 10th, 2010, 08:49 PM
Hi
I hope it is ok for me to post here. I'm been thinking about adopting a little dog. One that is easy going, not high strung, gets along with cats, kids and an older dog.

For all those reasons , I would advise you to look on petfinder , the dogs that would interest you , read their profiles. The rescues will say how their dogs are , if they're ok with dogs , cats , kids. Whatever the breed , you need to look at the temparement (sorry about spelling :o)

you would be surprise sometimes ... you think one breed wouldn't be for you but then you read their profile and it's screams : " I would fit super good with YOUR family " :)

luckypenny
February 10th, 2010, 08:55 PM
For all those reasons , I would advise you to look on petfinder , the dogs that would interest you , read their profiles. The rescues will say how their dogs are , if they're ok with dogs , cats , kids. Whatever the breed , you need to look at the temparement (sorry about spelling :o)

you would be surprise sometimes ... you think one breed wouldn't be for you but then you read their profile and it's screams : " I would fit super good with YOUR family " :)

Frenchy is absolutely right. There's an exception to every breed/breed mix. Until you learn about the individual dog and spend some time with them, you may be surprised to what works.

Nukka, we think, is a mix of Lab/Corgi...and she meets your description ('cept she's already adopted :D). Every one thought she'd be a super hyper dog and she's nothing of the like. You just never know so it's important to take your time, look around, and ask tonnes of questions.

Frenchy
February 10th, 2010, 08:57 PM
Frenchy is absolutely right.

of course I am :rolleyes: always :shrug:

:laughing:

luckypenny
February 10th, 2010, 08:58 PM
I was gonna add that in but thought you might get embarrassed :laughing:.

Frenchy
February 10th, 2010, 09:04 PM
I was gonna add that in but thought you might get embarrassed :laughing:.

me ? embarrassed by the truth ? never !! :angel:

:laughing:

Tundra_Queen
February 10th, 2010, 09:55 PM
thanks frenchy and LP, I was just thinking if someone on the forum was into rescue they would know the personality of their foster dogs better than a city rescue would. I'm not planning on getting a dog right away as I know it will take a while for me to find the right dog to adopt. LP I do like corgis but know nothing about their temperment.

Debbie

luckypenny
February 10th, 2010, 10:18 PM
We'd know the personality of the dogs in our environments but, that doesn't mean the dog would behave the same in another home (that's why there are so many questions asked of potential adopters and for home visits where all family members are present). The same goes for dogs in shelters, they may be perfect there, but turn out completely different once adopted to a home. Or the opposite may be true. A dog who barely passes temperament tests in a shelter could turn out to be the most wonderful dog in a house. Many dogs don't fare well with all the stress.

I'm not making this easy for you am I :D?

Rather than specific breeds, think up a list of character traits you'd like in a dog. You can take a look at adoption applications of several rescues/shelters (often available online) to get an idea of what you, as the adopter, both want and can provide. Adoption days/fairs is another great opportunity to meet with a variety of dogs/puppies and familiarize yourself with individual rescues. When you're ready, you can contact them and ask to speak to an adoption counselor or to a foster home. Most will take the time to walk you through the steps in choosing the right dog.

Tundra_Queen
February 10th, 2010, 10:53 PM
LP, no your not making it easy,,,but nothing worth while is. *S* I would like a dog that has been socialized, not high strung, likes people and has been around cats, is small and trainable. *S*

Debbie

jaylow51
February 11th, 2010, 01:22 AM
All the caracteristics (sorry for the spelling, it's late)that you have listed is exactly what we are looking for as well. We would love to find a small easygoing dog up to 2 years old, preferably female, not high strung, not a barker that can live with a 10 year old cat. Oh and that asks to go outside too. No more paper on the floor in the kitchen etc etc. We lived with that until the last day - over 14 years. It's mind boggling to look on petfinder - I'd take them all.:pawprint::pawprint::pawprint::pawprint:

Marty11
February 11th, 2010, 09:40 AM
Look into the Boston Terrier, amazing with cats and kids, bit of a chewer though.

HelenNutmeg
February 11th, 2010, 11:24 AM
I'd say a basset.. you cannot get an easier going dog.. just google it and read the traits.. I get them weighing from 30 pounds to 75..

Chris21711
February 11th, 2010, 11:40 AM
I'd say a basset.. you cannot get an easier going dog.. just google it and read the traits.. I get them weighing from 30 pounds to 75..

I couldn' agree more with you, I think Macomom feels the same way...my two, 1 is 70lbs and the other 75lbs.

HelenNutmeg
February 11th, 2010, 01:23 PM
I couldn' agree more with you, I think Macomom feels the same way...my two, 1 is 70lbs and the other 75lbs.

Yuppers.. they just have a way about them.. you can never be sad with a basset they are such clowns

Tundra_Queen
February 11th, 2010, 06:49 PM
Bassets are bigger than I am looking for. They are cute, but I am just looking for a small dog, like 12 lbs or 15lbs.

Frenchy
February 11th, 2010, 07:18 PM
Oh and that asks to go outside too.

if they are in foster homes , there's big chances the dog will come to you housetrain , if not , it's easy to teach :thumbs up
It's mind boggling to look on petfinder - I'd take them all.:pawprint::pawprint::pawprint::pawprint:

take note that the SPCAs have too many dogs to list them all on petfinder. So to visit them often is a great way to find your perfect companion :)

Bassets are bigger than I am looking for. They are cute, but I am just looking for a small dog, like 12 lbs or 15lbs.

ohhhhh you know what ? shih tsus or shih mixes (yea yea I know , spelling is wrong :o) are great little dogs ! I wasn't crazy about them until Benmax made me foster one :laughing: Stitch :lovestruck: he was a great little dog !

Macomom
February 11th, 2010, 07:54 PM
If anyone comes across a Dane, maybe I could foster or adopt...
Just saying..

aslan
February 11th, 2010, 08:02 PM
If anyone comes across a Dane, maybe I could foster or adopt...
Just saying..

If you're looking for a Dane MM, contact BHRR, she's a member here. I know when we move i'll be contacting her.

Macomom
February 11th, 2010, 08:05 PM
I can't Aslan. My children don't meet her age requirements- I am not eligible to adopt for at least 4 more years.

aslan
February 11th, 2010, 08:06 PM
I can't Aslan. My children don't meet her age requirements- I am not eligible to adopt for at least 4 more years.

ummm or rehome the kids.:evil::laughing:

Macomom
February 11th, 2010, 08:07 PM
You offering? They are a bonded pair. I could deliver them to TO. :laughing:

aslan
February 11th, 2010, 08:09 PM
omg no i just got mine to adulthood, not again, uhuh...

Tundra_Queen
February 11th, 2010, 09:31 PM
take note that the SPCAs have too many dogs to list them all on petfinder. So to visit them often is a great way to find your perfect companion :)

ohhhhh you know what ? shih tsus or shih mixes (yea yea I know , spelling is wrong :o) are great little dogs ! I wasn't crazy about them until Benmax made me foster one :laughing: Stitch :lovestruck: he was a great little dog !

Frency I am thinking about shih tsus or a lapso, something small that I can handle.

jaylow51
February 12th, 2010, 01:36 AM
I'm also "thinking" about a ****zu as well - but not sure. The husband loves doxies but - they are pig headed & big on payback - very hard to potty train etc etc. We had 2 for their entire lives 1 @ 10-1/2 the other over 14 so time for a change but what ? I guess if we're patient some wee girl will come along. It's for life so don't want to make an error. Can't go to the spca, I'd want them all & having a big heart would feel guilty & traumatized for choosing only one & maybe that would not be the right one but the one with the biggest eyes looking saddest etc etc etc - a real dilema.:pawprint: