Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

intermittent diarrhea

fisher
August 26th, 2004, 04:15 PM
:confused: I have a year old golden Lab. She had a bout of diarrhea about 10 days ago. I immediately put her on a 3 day diet of chicken and rice, with a little plain yogurt. It cleared up. She now will have 1-2 normal stools per day, then a very mushy, soft one. I took her to the Vet. He said she looked and seemed healthy (which she does-extremely bright, happy, full of energy, great appetite-typical Lab-plus her temp was normal. I had put her on a new food about 5 weeks before this statted to happen. Could it be the food??? Also does anyone know how common Giardiasis and Coccidiosis are???
I should also mention I have another Lab + 3 cats and they are all fine. All share the same water etc. Could this be IBS??? She has had bowel surgery in the past, however the Vet said she should lead a perfectly normal life with no further problems. Appreciate any advice.

heeler's rock!
August 26th, 2004, 04:20 PM
It could definitely be the food. What are you feeding her and is it the same as your other lab?

fisher
August 26th, 2004, 07:16 PM
I suppose even dogs can develope food intolerences. I had put her on Medi- Cal Hypo Allergenic formula, as my other Lab has allergies (and she is doing much better since on this food). They also make a Gastro type I believe, which I will look into ( although the Hypo is recommended for IBS and gastro sensitivities.) It's just very perplexing and worrisome as it is not a constant. Maybe I am over-analyzing!!! In any case I'll be off to get the Gastro-formula tomorrow!

heeler's rock!
August 27th, 2004, 08:12 AM
I'm not sure if the gastro food will be a good permanent solution....I'm no vet but I think that you may be worrying too much over nothing. If your dog had diarrhea 2-3 times a day, then maybe you should worry. If I were you, I would do some really serious research into different dog foods, including holistic brands. Most commercial dog foods have way too many grains that dogs find to hard to digest. That's probably why he poops so much too. Look into brands like Solid Gold, Innova, Royal Canin, and Precise. You'll probably have better results on those than on the Medical. Also, changing a dog's food can cause changes in bowel movements for a little while so try to stick to one diet. :D