Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Explosive diarrhea! Grrrr!!

cassiek
December 22nd, 2009, 08:02 PM
I just have to rant! :wall:

I have been feeding my dogs on the raw diet for about 2 months. I have been taking things slow, trying to keep the diarrhea/tummy upsets/etc. to a minimum. Well, I gave them Sardines on Sunday evening... BIG mistake! :frustrated: Apparently NONE of my dogs do well on sardines (at least not that much at once) because I came home Monday evening and my 2 dogs that are left out while I am gone had explosive diarrhea EVERYWHERE in the living room! Ugh! :yell: Took me almost 2 hours to get most of it cleaned up and I still need to rent a carpet cleaner!!

Ewwwww... bleh! :yuck:

I have never seen that much crap in my life! We did rice/pumpkin most of today... hopefully it passes... don't know if I can stand to clean that up again... I might fall over and die! :rip: :laughing:

growler~GateKeeper
December 23rd, 2009, 12:39 AM
Oh yuck! :yuck:

I think it's safe to say you'll stay away from sardines from now on :rolleyes: :laughing: :o

How have their poops been otherwise?

Did you start with a single protein source (ie just chicken) for 10-14 days before introducing a new one?

cassiek
December 24th, 2009, 01:28 AM
Hi growler,

Yes sardines are OUT... although I now think I may have tried to introduce too much at once, so eventually (and this may be for quite some time) I might try them again but ALOT less at once...! :wall:

Poops before were good... a little softer once in awhile, but fairly firm. And they have since improved since this incident :thumbs up

And yes, have been doing single protein source. Started off with chicken for my girls (beef for my boy - allergies). Did this for about a month, then started introducing the girls to some turkey. Are also adding organs to theirs - chicken livers, hearts and gizzards. Poultry makes up the majority of their diet since it is the cheapest and most available, although I do want to add some variety in the future here & there.

For my boy, I buy him pre-packaged raw. Although I am not a huge fan of pre-packaged I find it cheaper/easier to buy his this way. I started him off on beef and have been adding some duck over the past few weeks which he seems to really enjoy.

I must have got a little too excited too quickly and decided to split a whole tin of sardines between the 3 of them! :frustrated: Ah well, they certainly enjoyed them going in... just not so much going out... :laughing:

luckypenny
December 24th, 2009, 01:31 AM
Are you sure they both got sick?

IF so, where did you get the sardines? Were they frozen? How much did you feed them each?

cassiek
December 24th, 2009, 02:48 PM
Are you sure they both got sick?

IF so, where did you get the sardines? Were they frozen? How much did you feed them each?

Can't say for sure who got the runs... I leave my two smaller dogs out when I am gone and couldn't determine when I got home who it was from (or if it was both?). Brynn was crated but her poops were very runny that day too, which is what lead me to believe it was the sardines.

The sardines were just out of a tin, I haven't been able to find them frozen, although I have seen smelt frozen and they are fairly reasonably priced... are they okay?

I am thinking probably the liquid that the sardines are in in the tin is what may have caused the runs... although I just bought the sardines in the tin in water... I didn't buy the kind that have spices etc. in them.

I split a tin between the three of them.

Jenkinsdjtg
January 2nd, 2010, 07:11 AM
same thing happened to me a few weeks ago. -_-
i woke up and he just let it go in the kitchen..

BLEHHHHH