Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Need to rant...and maybe cry a little.

Chaser
December 22nd, 2009, 06:10 PM
Today while DH was sleeping after a night shift Rupert got his cone off! :eek: He chewed his paw (which was healing SO well) and pulled out a tonne of fur.....including a big clump over his left eye!?!? He has a BALD eyelid!!! And then he barfed. Perfect.

:wall: :wall: :wall: :yell: :yell: :yell:

I am doing EVERYTHING I can possibly be doing for him but it takes time to work and at this rate he'll have chewed his paw off within the next week!

At least he likes the taste of the salmon oil on his food. But the ONLY dry food I can find that doesn't contain chicken is Orijen 6 Fish for Cats and my store had to order some more...I pick it up on Thursday. Even Nature Variety Instinct's Rabbit Formula has chicken in it! And we are having enough problems right now that I'm just not willing to fight with him to get him on wet food only. So he'll eat the 6 Fish food for now and when he improves I'll get him onto a selection of novel protein canned food.

I'm sorry if everyone is tired of hearing about my demented cat :o But I'm already stressed with work and the holidays and I can't stand watching him cause so much harm to himself any more!!!! I feel so helpless. :cry2: :needhug:

14+kitties
December 22nd, 2009, 06:48 PM
:grouphug: I am so sorry you are going through this. It is so hard seeing our babies suffer. I feel you pain. :grouphug:
Do you deal with Global Pet Food at all? They are really good normally about ordering in whatever food you want. Can you find Natural Balance Duck and Pea Formula dry food? Also, I know you don't want to fight with him to get him on canned right now but I remember Toonces feeding him Friskies. I know it isn't the best canned but maybe he would eat some of the Fancy Feast pate varieties? There are some that don't have chicken in them. You could try that.
I will look some more for chicken free foods. So far the Natural Balance is the only one I've found.
http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/catformulas/DuckCat.html

14+kitties
December 22nd, 2009, 06:53 PM
Some more they can maybe order in for you:

http://www.naturesvariety.com/prairie_cat_kibble_lamb

http://www.petcurean.com/index.php?page_id=163

http://www.californianaturalpet.com/products/default.asp?id=1338

http://www.wellnesspetfood.com/cat_wellness_dry_complete_health_salmon.html

I think the Wellness one may be carried at PetValu

ancientgirl
December 22nd, 2009, 07:22 PM
Poor Rupert! I don't know if this may help, but I used to feed Vlad and Oksana seafood several times a week and had to stop because they were beginning to have problems with severe itching. :shrug:

Love4himies
December 22nd, 2009, 07:40 PM
Yes, please eliminate any fish in their diets and any grains. His issue is probably allergy related. Nature's Variety makes some flavours that don't have any chicken in it. They have Venison, Lamb, Duck or Rabbit.

Chaser
December 22nd, 2009, 08:27 PM
Some more they can maybe order in for you:

http://www.naturesvariety.com/prairie_cat_kibble_lamb

http://www.petcurean.com/index.php?page_id=163

http://www.californianaturalpet.com/products/default.asp?id=1338

http://www.wellnesspetfood.com/cat_wellness_dry_complete_health_salmon.html

I think the Wellness one may be carried at PetValu

I will look for both the Natural Balance and the Now! tomorrow......Unfortunately all the others have grains, which I also need to stay away from. Thank you for the suggestions....I hadn't considered Now! and just assumed it had chicken. Also didn't think Natural Balance came in a dry formula.

I don't want to do the Friskie's because who knows what is in that that could also cause a reaction. He'll lick/eat tiny bits of Nature's Variety Instinct wet so I've picked up some rabbit ones for him.

(btw, I shop at Ryan's/Global Pet Foods - they ARE good....when I was in the manager wasn't there though and the part-timer didn't seem to know much)

Chaser
December 22nd, 2009, 08:32 PM
Poor Rupert! I don't know if this may help, but I used to feed Vlad and Oksana seafood several times a week and had to stop because they were beginning to have problems with severe itching. :shrug:

Yes, please eliminate any fish in their diets and any grains. His issue is probably allergy related. Nature's Variety makes some flavours that don't have any chicken in it. They have Venison, Lamb, Duck or Rabbit.

He doesn't get fish or grains currently....his diet is grain-free and chicken and turkey based.

Nature's Variety Instinct makes rabbit formula in dry but chicken is the second or third ingredient.....so that's out. I know of the canned varieties but he'll barely eat wet food and I'm just not willing to fight that battle too right now.

I was only considering the Orijen 6 Fish as a short term solution because I know it isn't ideal but needed to try eliminating chicken. I'm going to try and find Natural Balance Duck and Sweet Potato instead, since it's also grain-free.

Macomom
December 22nd, 2009, 08:39 PM
I am so sorry you have to go through this with your kitty.
Don't you wish you could reason with them and explain the situation?
Good luck with the allergies, perhaps a homeopathic vet could help?

ancientgirl
December 22nd, 2009, 08:48 PM
When the gangs Evo Venison doesn't come in, I get them the Instinct venison and they love it. You can always buy a can and see if Rupert will go for it.

sugarcatmom
December 22nd, 2009, 08:52 PM
He doesn't get fish or grains currently....his diet is grain-free and chicken and turkey based.

You'd be surprised where fish shows up. I think you mentioned that you were feeding Horizon Legacy dry, which does contain salmon, as does all of the Go! Natural canned foods.

Not saying that Rupert has a fish allergy, but it does tend to be one of the most common ones.

While eventually it would be a good idea to rule out the possibility of a food allergy, I'm wondering if maybe he has atopy (inhalant allergies). That might explain a correlation with the heat coming on, as more dust (and dust mites) get blown around. Allergy skin testing might be the only way to know for sure. Do you have a true Hepa air filter you can use in a room that Rupert spends the most time in?

If he's so itchy that he's mutilating his feet, it might be time for some pharmaceutical intervention. I don't usually advocate drugs, and they would only be a stop-gap until you can get a handle on other aspects of his environment, but perhaps an anti-histamine is needed, or (gasp!) even some short-term oral corticosteroids.

Another possibility to consider is something called Pemphigus Foliaceus (http://www.manhattancats.com/Articles/Pemphigus_Foliaceus.html). Skin biopsy is needed to diagnose that though. Better to start with an allergy elimination diet and go from there.

ETA- Macomom's suggestion of a homeopathic (or holistic) vet is excellent. Not sure what's available in your area, but if you could find someone with a more integrative approach, I highly recommend looking into that. Can be expensive though, but in the long-run, better for Rupert.

Chaser
December 22nd, 2009, 09:10 PM
I want to cut out all fish and chicken....so I'm going to pursue the Natural Balance grain-free Duck and Pea food. He may even go for the canned version eventually....I know Winston's kitties like it.

Only problem is I got salmon oil to help the dry skin....which is fish. I don't even know what to do!!!! :frustrated: Any ideas??? He's really dry....he needs something.

An inhalant allergy would not surprise me and we are trying to reach our landlords to get the furnace filter changed. We always run two HEPA air purifers, and we only have the main floor, so they work pretty well. We also don't have any carpets. The tenant in the basement has been smoking indoors since it got cold and I am wondering if that could be a contributing factor as well....we are trying to get him removed, since despite several warnings he keeps doing it.

Honestly, this week a vet is out of the question. I have (- $2.00) in my account, thank you Christmas. If this doesn't clear up with the food change I will have to take him in January. I have heard of a good homeopathic vet in the area.

We have Benadryl and dosing instructions from our regular vet....used it a couple times before giving up and getting him the cone. I don't like to use the meds but we have it if he seems to be feeling particularly bad.

hazelrunpack
December 22nd, 2009, 09:17 PM
I'm sorry you and Rupert are still having so many problems, Chaser :grouphug:

I hope you can find some solutions that work soon! :goodvibes:

Chaser
December 22nd, 2009, 09:20 PM
SCM - Do I need to avoid turkey as well do you think?

(& thank you Hazel :))

krdahmer
December 22nd, 2009, 10:00 PM
I can relate... :grouphug: Fagan chewed his belly raw in cycles (he was only ok for a month or so at a time after he had a shot of depo medrol) for three years, and we still can't figure out why he does it. We tried creams, cones and different allergy meds, treatment for fleas for over 2 years even though none of them ever set paw outside just in case it was a flea allergy...and I did find after much research how hard it is to find the higher quality foods that have single source protein that were not chicken, turkey, fish or beef. After eliminating venison because of finicky eaters, I ended up feeding Fromm Duck a la Veg. You really have to read the labels, poultry and fish really do crop up in almost all packaged cat food! And an alternative I tried to the salmon oil ( because it was fish) was coconut oil, my guys love it. Like I said though we still haven't found a cause, but we have settled on a workable solution, not ideal, but he has a much better quality of life not constantly licking himself raw...he's on a low dose of steroid in pill form he takes 3 times a week....that was the lowest dose that seems to be just enough to stop him from chewing.

I really hope you can find a solution! I know how stressful it is to watch them hurt themselves and not be able to ask them whats wrong and get an answer so you can just fix it. :grouphug: Get better soon Rupert! :pray::goodvibes:

Winston
December 22nd, 2009, 10:16 PM
Chaser I am so sorry your going through this with Rupert! I hear ya on the low funds. If you can manage I think a shot would help. It really helped my moms kitty Brady when he had the ECG really bad. He was almost chewing his feet. It was almost instant relief from his appearance. Although it is not the best avenue you likely need some medical intervention. My kitties havent been affected by smoke but you never know.

They were really hard with going to canned but they accepted the Nature Balance by DVP Duck and G Pee and the Venison and G Pea. Now they are eating more flavors but it took a really long time. I am not sure your gonna see the relief in Rupert as quick with the food change...sometimes it takes a good while for their bodies to adjust to the food?? Just something to think about.

Smooches for rupert please!

Cindy

Chaser
December 22nd, 2009, 10:24 PM
I can relate... :grouphug:

Thank you!

I will keep the Fromm in mind if I can't find the Natural Balance :thumbs up

I'm REALLY hoping to avoid steroids but we'll see how this is after the holidays....even though he's unhappy with the cone right now at least he's not abusing himself, so I'll give it a week or so and let my bank account replenish. Then we'll have to see a vet if there's no improvement.

Coconut oil is a fantastic idea! Where do you buy it????

(Of course this is after I spend $20 I can't actually afford on a bottle of salmon oil :rolleyes: Glad Thursday is payday.)

Chaser
December 22nd, 2009, 10:26 PM
Smooches for rupert please!

Done :) Well, as much as he'll let me....the most cuddly cat in the world doesn't even want to be near his mommy right now :sad: He's SO mad at me!

Dee-O-Gee
December 22nd, 2009, 10:39 PM
My SIL feeds her dogs Natural Balance, Limited Ingredient Diet formula (LID). Her 1 dog had a severe allergen and near chewed his paw off before switching over to the L.I.D. formula. After switching his diet, the paw chewing stopped.

L.I.D. (Green Pea & Duck) sounds like it may help poor Rupert. I'm sure PetValu could special order in the dry cat as they do for the L.I.D. dry dog food. :thumbs up

Frenchy
December 22nd, 2009, 10:40 PM
I'm sorry if everyone is tired of hearing about my demented cat :o But I'm already stressed with work and the holidays and I can't stand watching him cause so much harm to himself any more!!!! I feel so helpless. :cry2: :needhug:

awwww :grouphug: we totally understand ! I never had to put a cone on a cat and I never want to experience that :laughing:

don't worry , it might take longer but you can do this :thumbs up

sugarcatmom
December 23rd, 2009, 12:09 AM
Only problem is I got salmon oil to help the dry skin....which is fish. I don't even know what to do!!!! :frustrated: Any ideas??? He's really dry....he needs something.

Allergies develop towards proteins, rarely fat, so salmon oil is most likely going to be okay. If Rupert likes it, I would continue to give it to him.

Honestly, this week a vet is out of the question. I have (- $2.00) in my account, thank you Christmas. If this doesn't clear up with the food change I will have to take him in January. I have heard of a good homeopathic vet in the area.

Totally understandable. Since a diet change is usually the place to start, maybe you can try that first once life has returned to post-Christmas normalcy. If you need some tips for making the switch, let me know. Picking up the dry except for a few minutes twice a day and leaving canned food down the rest of the time was what helped me get my kibble-addict converted.

If you have any aloe vera gel around your house, maybe try dabbing some on Rupert's raw spots to help sooth and heal them while he has the cone on.

SCM - Do I need to avoid turkey as well do you think?

Hard to say. Allergies develop after repeat exposure to a protein, which is why chicken is a common one: it's in so many commercial foods, as you've noticed! Perhaps some cats can become so overly sensitive that their reactions are generalized to all forms of poultry. Another scenario is the cat that is only allergic to the highly processed chicken found in pet food, but does fine with fresh raw chicken (especially after a "rest period" from all poultry). Does Rupert like any real meat at all?

krdahmer
December 23rd, 2009, 12:28 AM
I got the coconut oil at one of the health food stores, I've seen it from $8 to $20...the one I get is $12 and with 6 cats lasted at least a few weeks, I only gave them about 1/4 tsp per day each and they just lick it off the spoon, I found it harder to give the salmon oil, my guys wouldn't touch it...weirdos I know... and I also put the coconut oil right on his hot spots too, seemed to help sooth them. (works great on my elbows too!) Aloe is a good one too, but I'm allergic so that wasn't an option to try here, thus the coconut.

krdahmer
December 23rd, 2009, 12:33 AM
Oh and another possibility is that it's all stress related, I know Fagan seemed to always be more aggressive with his licking if I happened to be busy,angry or stressed out....if it's an allergy this may not work, but I found that by relaxing myself and always being positive when around the cats and not arguing with hubby in front of them did make a slight difference, and plus that's something you can try for free right! I know when Fagan was bad, I was willing to try anything! :goodvibes:

ancientgirl
December 23rd, 2009, 08:27 AM
Kr beat me to the coconut oil. :D You can buy it in most health food stores and I've also seen it sold at Whole Foods.

Here are a couple of sites that you can order from:

http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/virgin_coconut_oil2.htm

http://www.wildernessfamilynaturals.com/category/coconut-products-coconut-oil.php

echoica
December 23rd, 2009, 09:01 AM
i am late coming in on this because i am a new member...

but has a contact allergy been considered?? if it is just the paws i would think that would be more likely than food allergy.

sugarcatmom
December 23rd, 2009, 10:25 AM
but has a contact allergy been considered?? if it is just the paws i would think that would be more likely than food allergy.

Not just the paw. Here is Chaser's original post on Rupert and his fur-pulling: http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=67370&highlight=rupert

echoica
December 23rd, 2009, 11:02 AM
Not just the paw. Here is Chaser's original post on Rupert and his fur-pulling: http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=67370&highlight=rupert

thanks! :cat:

echoica
December 23rd, 2009, 11:24 AM
chaser, can you confirm if this is localized to the paws or not? i did not see where you posted that it was not localized in the previous thread?

if it is localized to the paws i would be much more convinced of it being atopy rather than a food allergy. if an allergy at all...

what about the beginnings of mange? some forms can be localized, some are not. you also said the dogs have been scratching quite a bit too. dogs could have brought the mange inside. if it is mange that is highly contagious even to humans (scabies) and something you definitely need to clean house for right away! but only a vet is going to be able to diagnose that.

or some fungus?

just throwing some other ideas out there. i think it would be a bad idea to concentrate on only one possibility like we are - food allergy.

honestly, looking at those pictures i would be rushing the poor kitty to the vet. if you don't trust your vet to diagnose, as you said, you should take the cat elsewhere...i would hate to see it turn into something worse!!! or be zoonotic.

i'll keep my fingers crossed for you that you figure this out soon! :fingerscr

sugarcatmom
December 23rd, 2009, 12:17 PM
chaser, can you confirm if this is localized to the paws or not? i did not see where you posted that it was not localized in the previous thread?

From another thread: http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=862172&highlight=rupert#post862172

now has a skunk-like bald patch running down his back.

i think it would be a bad idea to concentrate on only one possibility like we are - food allergy.

We haven't been focusing ONLY on the food allergy possibility (lots of other theories have been brought up in this and other threads), but here's the thing: food is one of the easier variables to control. After fleas, it's also one of the most common causes of itching in pets, whether it's the feet or the face or the back or the belly. So if you can change the diet and the itching either gets better or it doesn't, then you've at least narrowed down the possibilities. Yes, a vet visit would be a good idea eventually, but you might have missed the part about Chaser being super-broke right now. So in the meantime........

Love4himies
December 23rd, 2009, 01:05 PM

Nature's Variety Instinct makes rabbit formula in dry but chicken is the second or third ingredient.....so that's out. I know of the canned varieties but he'll barely eat wet food and I'm just not willing to fight that battle too right now.

I was only considering the Orijen 6 Fish as a short term solution because I know it isn't ideal but needed to try eliminating chicken. I'm going to try and find Natural Balance Duck and Sweet Potato instead, since it's also grain-free.

I am not sure about the canned Rabbit as my cats won't eat it, but I know the Lamb and Venison don't have chicken.

Love4himies
December 23rd, 2009, 01:12 PM
From the link:

http://www.crvetcenter.com/foodallergy.htm

What are the most common food allergens?

Clinical tests of IgE allergies in 313 cats and dogs at CRVC revealed the top food allergens to be: corn, wheat, soy, yeast, potato and beet. These common allergens are foods these patients should avoid during a 90-day food elimination trial. We suspect that food additives, colorings, and artificial preservatives also cause hypersensitivity.

If you are only feeding dry, check for potatoes in grain free varieties.

Chaser
December 23rd, 2009, 04:15 PM
I am not sure about the canned Rabbit as my cats won't eat it, but I know the Lamb and Venison don't have chicken.

Oh no I mean their DRY rabbit formula has chicken. Their wet stuff is great and I'll be trying SCM's methods to convince Rupert canned food is good :)

Spatx
December 23rd, 2009, 04:30 PM
Don't have any advice to give, but :grouphug: to you and your boy! Hopefully everything will get worked out and he'll be feeling good again soon :fingerscr

Chaser
December 23rd, 2009, 05:04 PM
Don't have any advice to give, but :grouphug: to you and your boy! Hopefully everything will get worked out and he'll be feeling good again soon :fingerscr

Thank you so much....I need it!

Chaser
December 23rd, 2009, 05:19 PM
you also said the dogs have been scratching quite a bit too. dogs could have brought the mange inside. if it is mange that is highly contagious even to humans (scabies) and something you definitely need to clean house for right away! but only a vet is going to be able to diagnose that.

The dogs were scratching SLIGHTLY more than usual and their skin was a little bit flaky. I bought them Orijen 6 Fish at the start of the week instead of their regular adult formula and it's totally cleared up. Problem solved. I groom them every day and am perfectly sure they do not have mange.

just throwing some other ideas out there. i think it would be a bad idea to concentrate on only one possibility like we are - food allergy.

The SAME thing happened to him at this very same time last year. He pulled his fur until about Feb./March. It's gotten a bit worse this time, but it seems very reasonable to me that dry indoor heating is a likely cause and am therefore treating with salmon oil. As sugarcatmom has said, food allergies are also highly likely so I am switching his food just in case, because I don't want to waste time.

honestly, looking at those pictures i would be rushing the poor kitty to the vet. if you don't trust your vet to diagnose, as you said, you should take the cat elsewhere...i would hate to see it turn into something worse!!! or be zoonotic.

My fiancee is a paramedic. Although that by no means replaces a vet he is more than capable of identifying infection and any risk of necrosis, as well as cleaning and dressing a wound properly. There were never any signs of infection and as I said above, it has scabbed over and is healing very well.

I would NEVER risk the health of my pets if they were seriously ill or injured. However, Rupert is playful and energetic and he is eating, drinking and eliminating normally. We have talked with our vet on the phone (as he is 1.5 hours away) and he has given us guidance, as well as instuctions to come in January if we don't see improvement with anything we try. But I will NOT pay to rush Rupert to a nearby vet that I don't even know for something like this.

I do not appreciate the inference of being neglectful, as I am doing all I can to treat the problem AND keep my cat comfortable. If he showed any signs of illness or infection I would find a way to get him treated ASAP, but at this stage all a vet would be doing is making similar recommendations of what to try changing in his environment. I can do that by myself and save $100. THEN I will go to the vet.

Chaser
December 23rd, 2009, 05:25 PM
Allergies develop towards proteins, rarely fat, so salmon oil is most likely going to be okay. If Rupert likes it, I would continue to give it to him.

Picking up the dry except for a few minutes twice a day and leaving canned food down the rest of the time was what helped me get my kibble-addict converted.

If you have any aloe vera gel around your house, maybe try dabbing some on Rupert's raw spots to help sooth and heal them while he has the cone on.

Does Rupert like any real meat at all?

You are BRILLIANT! :thumbs up Glad to know about the salmon oil and will give these suggestions a try.

He eats bits of cooked chicken.....and loves ham, but I hardly ever let him have that because of the salt.

breeze
December 23rd, 2009, 05:34 PM
I have been following your thread chaser but I'm no kitty expert :sad:

but I hope this will help :2huggers::2huggers::2huggers::2huggers: and hope you find a solution soon :goodvibes::fingerscr

Chaser
December 23rd, 2009, 06:31 PM
I have been following your thread chaser but I'm no kitty expert :sad:

but I hope this will help :2huggers::2huggers::2huggers::2huggers: and hope you find a solution soon :goodvibes::fingerscr

Thank you breeze, I really appreciate it!

I'm kind of in the same boat.....if anything is up with the dogs I always know what to do, but Rupert just baffles me :shrug: He's cute but confusing so I am so grateful to the kitty experts here!

Love4himies
December 23rd, 2009, 08:12 PM
Oh no I mean their DRY rabbit formula has chicken. Their wet stuff is great and I'll be trying SCM's methods to convince Rupert canned food is good :)

I am sure he will do much better on the wet.

I too had difficulty switching Puddles to all canned Wellness, it was a frustrating but worth it in the end :grouphug: Now she eats raw, which she eats raw, which she wouldn't touch when she was a kibble addict.

echoica
December 23rd, 2009, 08:57 PM
I do not appreciate the inference of being neglectful, as I am doing all I can to treat the problem AND keep my cat comfortable. If he showed any signs of illness or infection I would find a way to get him treated ASAP, but at this stage all a vet would be doing is making similar recommendations of what to try changing in his environment. I can do that by myself and save $100. THEN I will go to the vet.

i was not trying to imply you were neglectful AT ALL! i am sorry you mistook my intentions for that. i was just trying to be helpful...i have seen a lot because i work in an animal shelter :sad:

well, in any case...good luck and i hope things get better soon! my kitty's are sending some good mojo for y'all!!

echoica
December 23rd, 2009, 09:28 PM
We haven't been focusing ONLY on the food allergy possibility (lots of other theories have been brought up in this and other threads), but here's the thing: food is one of the easier variables to control. After fleas, it's also one of the most common causes of itching in pets, whether it's the feet or the face or the back or the belly. So if you can change the diet and the itching either gets better or it doesn't, then you've at least narrowed down the possibilities. Yes, a vet visit would be a good idea eventually, but you might have missed the part about Chaser being super-broke right now. So in the meantime........

atopy is the most common type of feline allergy - although also common, it is not food (this has been studied and cited in several veterinary journals)

source: i work in this field - vet tech at an animal shelter

i am sure we all have good intentions trying to help. based on the evidence presented i too was also trying to come up with some possibilities :)

i really just hope we can find some answers and this most-loved kitty gets well soon!!

sugarcatmom
December 23rd, 2009, 09:55 PM
atopy is the most common type of feline allergy - although also common, it is not food

I do believe I said:
After fleas, it's also one of the most common causes of itching in pets,

And the reason we keep bringing food up:
http://www.VeterinaryPartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=597&S=0&EVetID=0

It is often useful to have ruled out food allergy with an elimination diet trial prior to the skin test as food allergy/intolerance responds much more rapidly to diet correction than atopy does to hyposensitization. Food allergy and atopic dermatitis both present a similar distribution of itchiness and can be difficult to distinguish.

echoica
December 23rd, 2009, 10:06 PM
whatever diet you chose, be sure to keep to it exclusively for at least a 10 week trial and avoid any and all other types of treats/food etc.

good luck!! :cat:

14+kitties
December 23rd, 2009, 10:21 PM
Aww Chaser. :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: to you and Rupert. The little guy sure is suffering. And you along with it.
You know with SCM you have got the best possible help available. Even more so than most vets. I am sure with lots of love and patience Rupert will soon start feeling the benefits of all your ministrations. In the meantime believe me, I feel your pain. :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:
Rupert, leave your cone on and stop being a sneak! :cloud9:

Chaser
December 23rd, 2009, 11:13 PM
Aww Chaser. :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: to you and Rupert. The little guy sure is suffering. And you along with it.
You know with SCM you have got the best possible help available. Even more so than most vets. I am sure with lots of love and patience Rupert will soon start feeling the benefits of all your ministrations. In the meantime believe me, I feel your pain. :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:
Rupert, leave your cone on and stop being a sneak! :cloud9:

Thanks 14+ :)

SCM's advice is absolutely invaluable, and kdhramer's experience is really helpful as well! I'll be embarking on a search for duck-based food tomorrow morning - hopefully the pet food store will be less crowded than all the others :rolleyes:

I just hope he starts to feel better soon. At least he's cuddling with me again. I think I'll have to get him a treat tomorrow...I got 100% pure freeze-dried duck tenders for the dogs a couple months ago and discovered Rupert would always come running for a little piece when I opened the bag :lovestruck: At least I know he's safe from reacting to those!

hazelrunpack
December 23rd, 2009, 11:19 PM
I hope he starts feeling better soon, too, Chaser :goodvibes: These "two steps forward, one step back" routines are so stressfull...you feel like the healing will never happen :grouphug: But it will!

hazel discovered yoga when she was getting Priscilla through her seemingly endless hip replacements and back surgeries. Nothing like cleansing breaths... at least until you hyperventilate :rolleyes: But it really did help with the stress :o

Frenchy
December 23rd, 2009, 11:21 PM
Chaser , I haven't read all the posts but have you thought about going raw ?

not you but for Rupert I mean :laughing:

Chaser
December 23rd, 2009, 11:28 PM
Chaser , I haven't read all the posts but have you thought about going raw ?

not you but for Rupert I mean :laughing:

LOL

I will consider that if the Natural Balance Duck and Pea food doesn't work out....but not only do I think it would be just as hard for him to eat raw as it will be to get him on canned....we don't have a whole house to ourselves yet and therefore don't have a freezer. We can barely fit OUR food in the little fridge one, so RAW isn't really feasible right now. :o Excellent idea though.

Frenchy
December 23rd, 2009, 11:33 PM
We can barely fit OUR food in the little fridge one, so RAW isn't really feasible right now. :o Excellent idea though.

ohhh trust me , it doesn't take a lot of space , raw meals for cats are very tiny ! I was very surprise. But you're right , it does take time for some cats to like it. :frustrated:

Hoping he will like the duck formula :fingerscr

Chaser
December 23rd, 2009, 11:36 PM
A couple pics of my sweet little dude....I am amazed at how well he has tolerated being manhandled by us! Such a tough little guy!

1. His newly balded eyelid and freshly (re)scraped up nose. He looks like he got in one heck of a fight. The nose is healing up yet again though. You know you love an animal when you are willing to pick dried blood out of his nose...

2. Kailey really feels for her little buddy :sad: :lovestruck:

Frenchy
December 23rd, 2009, 11:38 PM
awwwwww :sad:, but look at those green eyes :lovestruck:

hazelrunpack
December 23rd, 2009, 11:38 PM
Aw, poor guy :sad: His nose doesn't look as bad this time, though. :goodvibes: that it heals faster this time...

Chaser
December 23rd, 2009, 11:39 PM
ohhh trust me , it doesn't take a lot of space , raw meals for cats are very tiny ! I was very surprise. But you're right , it does take time for some cats to like it. :frustrated:

Hoping he will like the duck formula :fingerscr

I didn't realize your cats ate raw I don't think...

Anyway, it's not out of the question, but I'm kind of thinking one battle at a time. I just don't have the energy to fight with him over his food preference. Need to find hypoallergenic kibble first, then I'll work on wet and start considering raw at that point. I just need to start on a new food asap so we can get this figured out! :fingerscr

I have no worries about him liking a new kibble at least....he likes anything really and he transitions with no problems.

cassiek
December 24th, 2009, 01:43 AM
Chaser -

How is Rupert doing? I have skimmed through this thread... poor lil guy! :sad:

I know little about cats, so I can't be of much help, but I do have a smaller dog with terrible allergies and have been going through the process of getting him better for years! (Which is actually what caused me to switch to raw and it seems to be helping!) :thumbs up

Best of luck and keep us all posted, k?

Sending lots of hugs and kisses to your babe! :lovestruck:

P.S. I also hear you on the being broke thing... especially at this time of the year! And I think you are doing the right thing waiting to see how he does before rushing him to the vet... too often I have rushed my dogs to the vet in a panic and thought later on it was a waste of time and money! :2cents:

Winston
December 24th, 2009, 11:29 AM
Chaser poor Rupert. He looks so sad! that has got to be sore!

I guess I dont agree with everyone else here though! I think he needs a vet visit...he has to be uncomfortable and possibly in pain especially if he is able to do what he has done with the cone off. Although I understand the diet change etc I think that that type of issue takes way too long to resolve. What if you have to make several food changes before you figure it out? that means if he is syffering he will suffer for as king as it takes to adjust food and that just seems unfair to me!

I guess my thought is to ease the discomfort / pain and then deal with food changes/allergy's. I realize you have some great info and input here and I dont disagree with the food changes but he looks like he needs more than that! just my :2cents: worth.

I hear ya on the money! maybe the vet will take a post dated cheque??

Good Luck

Frenchy
December 24th, 2009, 12:10 PM
I didn't realize your cats ate raw I don't think...

They used to be on half raw .... they had kibble & wet food in the morning , and raw at night. I stopped because Coco and Puce weren't eating it.

But I really want to try again soon. It's much cheaper than to buy expensive premium canned food.

Chaser
December 24th, 2009, 02:49 PM
Okay, I found Natural Balance Duck and Green Pea kibble and bought some of the same in canned as well. The kibble looks really weird and smells bad compared to Horizon Legacy but Rupert dove into it so I think I'm the only one that minds :shrug:

I also found a cat-safe topical spray made of oatmeal and vitamin E which I'm hoping will help (on spots where there's no broken skin). He's loving the salmon oil so that will be great for his skin/coat too.

Off to change his bandage....the paw should be looking quite good by now. Will update in a bit.

Chaser
December 24th, 2009, 07:38 PM
His paw and nose are both looking fantastic!!!! :thumbs up

The anti-itch spray also seems to be helping, and he is much happier each day after I brush him and clean his face and bum with a damp cloth, since the poor boy can't do it himself with the cone on.

ancientgirl
December 24th, 2009, 07:49 PM
I'm so glad he's doing better. That photo of him with his raw nose is heartbreaking.

Chaser
December 24th, 2009, 08:45 PM
I'm so glad he's doing better. That photo of him with his raw nose is heartbreaking.

I know :sad: It's so bizarre that he managed to hurt himself so badly!

ancientgirl
December 24th, 2009, 09:41 PM
I can understand though. I had an allergic reaction to something, never found out what, in high school and nearly scratched my face and neck raw! It hurts like hell after you scratch, but while you are scratching, it's such a relief.:sad:

rainbow
December 25th, 2009, 01:38 AM
His paw and nose are both looking fantastic!!!! :thumbs up

The anti-itch spray also seems to be helping, and he is much happier each day after I brush him and clean his face and bum with a damp cloth, since the poor boy can't do it himself with the cone on.

WOOO HOOO ....I hope Rupert is finally on the road to recovery. :fingerscr :goodvibes: