Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

This is how crazy that Black Dog Syndrome Is

HelenNutmeg
December 19th, 2009, 07:56 PM
I just got yet another email that this pound is over full.. check how many are black in the three pages..

http://www.petfinder.com/shelterSearch/shelterSearch.cgi?offset=0&limit=25&zip=&status=&shelterid=OH427&tmpl=0&lat=&long=&preview=1&sort=

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr

ancientgirl
December 19th, 2009, 08:46 PM
It's the same with black cats. They are always the last to go. People go for dogs/cats that have brighter coloring. Sadly, black dogs likely suffer from a similar stigma as black cats.

Personally, I love black cats/dogs.

Chaser
December 19th, 2009, 11:46 PM
So sad :sad:

I just don't get it.....I am instantly attracted to black dogs more than anything else (not that I don't love them all)! Any black Labs, Shepherds, Rotties or mixes of these grab my attention first.

Sib.HuskyMom
December 20th, 2009, 08:50 AM
I've heard of black cat syndrom, but I didn't realize it applied to dogs too. It's so sad regardless. :sad:

Best of luck sweet pups. I hope you find your forever home soon. :pray:

14+kitties
December 20th, 2009, 08:56 AM
I don't get it. The colour of a dog or cat makes no difference to the animals' temperment. :loser:!!:frustrated:

Catzig
December 22nd, 2009, 07:09 AM
So sad :sad:

I just don't get it.....I am instantly attracted to black dogs more than anything else (not that I don't love them all)! Any black Labs, Shepherds, Rotties or mixes of these grab my attention first.

I'm with you there Chaser. Almost all my furkids are black, except for a very dark brown Siamese (almost as scary as a black cat to some people) and a Sheltie who is a little crooked - is that why he's been thru more than one rescue?

Melinda
December 22nd, 2009, 07:58 AM
I've always adopted black because of the stigma, look at any pound, if there are 8 dogs, at least 5 will be black, when we rescued Brina we also found home for her 7 black brothers and sisters....he did not expect 8 black pups from a yellow lab daddy and a 1/2 yellow lab 1/2 gsd mom

cassiek
December 23rd, 2009, 12:56 AM
Such a sad reality, but so true... I volunteer at a humane society in Lethbridge and we always have TONS of black dogs... and they are always the last to be adopted out...! :sad:

Usually puppies are the 1st to go, and we have a black lab pup about 4 months old, that has been there almost a month... I'm sure his color has something to do with it... :wall: so frustrating!!

BenMax
December 23rd, 2009, 12:41 PM
I also see this all the time. Many of them get rescue status just based on color because they don't move out of shelters. Luckily I have many rescues that don't give a hoot and will take them regardless.

breeze
December 23rd, 2009, 12:56 PM
:lightbulb: put streaks in their fur and by the time that the streaks ( animal friendly streaks) grow out the owners will be head over heels in love with the poochs or kitty cats, and they won't be able to give them up

:D