Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

When it rains it pours!!

Winston
December 18th, 2009, 08:38 AM
Well I am a little cold this morning! Furnace broke down yesterday! actually its been the furnace from HELL since we moved in 10 yrs ago. For the first 5 yrs we fixed it a ton of times...the last time was approx 3 yrs ago and it cost 950.00 for the main circut board. Of course the timing couldnt have been worse as it was New Yrs Eve! so we had no choice but to fix it then!

Fast forward to now! The Motor is shot and it is $90.00 per half hr labour...$440.00 for the part...plus taxes! Needless to say I could have bought another brand new furnace with all the repair bills. Well no more! the company is going to be kind enough to fix it for me to get me through the holidays and then I am replacing the furnace. I guess the only benefit right now is all of the energy grants and programs make it worth while to do it now.

BUT MAN DOES IT ALWAYS HAVE TO BREAK DOWN CHRISTMAS TIME! :sad:

ancientgirl
December 18th, 2009, 08:41 AM
Oh man, that's just always the way. I always seem to have problems with the air conditioner in the summer! I think it's a good idea to just replace it though.

As you said, with the money you've spent to keep repairing it, you could have just had a new one by now.

14+kitties
December 18th, 2009, 08:43 AM
I feel your pain. I have had that happen as well. :grouphug: It will get better. Heat will arrive......... around May I believe. :D:grouphug:

chico2
December 18th, 2009, 08:45 AM
Winston our then 2yr old furnace broke down last Christmas Day,we were lucky,the repairman lived only 4 houses up the street,charge us only $50 since it was Christmas.
It was only a minor problem,but I thought this guy was a secret Santa:laughing:
Hopefully yours will be the same:fingerscr

Winston
December 18th, 2009, 10:09 AM
Well they are supposed to come back today to put in a temporary part to get us through the holidays! and he is taking his whole business to Mexico on Monday for a week! he said business was good last year!! :laughing:

It was chilly this morning but I snuggled with Winston after I got out of the shower! :D he thought I was acting a little strange ..

I just cant figure out how come it always breaks down during the Christmas season! its like it knows how to piss me off! :sad:

hazelrunpack
December 18th, 2009, 01:26 PM
The furnace had the whole summer off to get lazy, then the cold started up last month. By the time Christmas gets here, the furnace is panting, blowing and realizes it's so out of shape that it just gives up... :rolleyes: Ours did the same thing before we finally replaced the dang thing :frustrated: I feel your pain! :grouphug:

Winston
December 18th, 2009, 01:42 PM
Thanks Hazel...I am sitting here waiting for them to come with a part. Its dang cold! brrrrr...down to 13 now?? the guy is great though! he is going to give us a part to hold us over till after x-mas and then replace the whole thing...also helps too because I can apply for an energy audit and with replacing the furnace I will get some rebats!! we decided to also do the air too! its a 30 year old york! still works but its certainly not energy efficient and it only takes the edge off in the summer since its not really cold....you cant fill em up with the freon anymore so its due for replacing!

Hows the pack? I could use them for snuggling right about now!

hazelrunpack
December 18th, 2009, 01:55 PM
If they could get there in time, I'd send a few up! :D They're pretty toasty--they were just running around in the back yard and they're radiating heat now! :cloud9:

rainbow
December 18th, 2009, 02:05 PM
I hope he gets there soon .....13 degrees in the house is darn chilly. :eek: :grouphug:

aslan
December 18th, 2009, 02:10 PM
Winston that totally sucks, i think you can get either 1,500 or 2,500 back for replacing the furnace. Don't know if your energy provider is the same as us, but we pay an extra $15. a month for insurance, if the furnace breaks down it's covered. Good thing since ours is like yours and goes ack once a year. We just replaced our circuit board.

Winston
December 18th, 2009, 02:25 PM
ouch!! that cost me 950.00 last time!! OMD I am chilly....

rainbow
December 18th, 2009, 02:30 PM
I hate being cold ...is it too early for a hot toddy? :D

Love4himies
December 18th, 2009, 02:34 PM
That's crappy :sad::grouphug: I hope you get your furnace fixed soon. It is Murhphy's Law, if something can happen at the worse possible time, then it will. :sad:

Winston
December 19th, 2009, 01:20 PM
We are warm today! just a temp fix till the new yr.

Rainbow I am not to fond of the hot toddy!

L4H I always say that cause I always have bad luck! :wall:

Dog Dancer
December 19th, 2009, 01:56 PM
I hear you Winston. Ours goes out the door the week after Christmas. It's gone out three times so far this winter (goes out more than I do :laughing:). Time for a new one.

Frenchy
December 19th, 2009, 03:44 PM
I remember you having problems with this last year , and the year before ... it seems it's happening every winter ? :frustrated: