Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

how do you know when it is time

snowflake1
December 17th, 2009, 11:13 PM
My cat has mammory cancer. We are not doing the surgery, the vet doesn't recommend it. She has an infection were the lump is and we are giving her meds but the vet said it will never 100% heal.

Anyways, my vet has told me to keep her comfy at home and when it is time bring her in. But my question is how do you tell it is time. My cat (chewie) is still affectionate, runs around, social with the other cats and the dog as much as she wants to be :) she still plays, eats, sleeps, drinks, goes to the bathroom, has no problems getting up and down the stairs.
My vet said that many cats won't let you know they are pain, they will just ignore the pain. I am afraid that I will take her in before her time is up or I will take her in too late and she will suffer.

So my question again, How can you tell when it is time??

LavenderRott
December 17th, 2009, 11:27 PM
Many will tell you to make a list of 5 things your pet loves to do and when your pet can't do them, it is time.

I am a firm believer in - you will just know. There will be something, can't really explain it, but something that just tells you. It is the most difficult thing you will do as a pet owner, and you will probably forever wonder if you did the right thing, but you will know.

sugarcatmom
December 18th, 2009, 12:13 PM
I find this Quality of Life Scale (http://www.veterinarypracticenews.com/vet-practice-news-columns/oncology-outlook/quality-of-life-for-pets.aspx) to be very helpful for trying to make that final decision. I also agree with LavenderRott that most likely, you will know when it's time. If your kitty is still playing and eating and enjoying life, it's too soon. Try to focus on the here and now and loving her to bits and not dwell on what might be around the corner. Think of this as an opportunity to share with your kitty a profound experience of ultimate caring and transition. :grouphug:

Winston
December 18th, 2009, 12:42 PM
I just wanted to let you know I had a friend who had a kitty with Mammory cancer and she lived for many yrs! But you will know.

The Quality of Life Scale SCM mentioned is great!

Good Luck :thumbs up

snowflake1
December 18th, 2009, 07:01 PM
Thanks for the responses. I really appericate it. She is my princess and I don't want her to suffer, but just afraid that I am not going to notice when it is time.

I think once she stops wanting to be with me all the time when I am home, I will know it is time. She has always been my shadow.

the gang
December 18th, 2009, 08:07 PM
i had a kitty for 19 yrs, i was always told!! when they can not smell there food and will not eat its time, best of luck brenda and the pins.