Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Putting your animals on a treadmill

MyBirdIsEvil
December 15th, 2009, 12:18 AM
Does anyone else do this? I just started putting my minpin on my new treadmill the other day and he took to it immediately. He's doing about 20-25 mins at 3 mph without even breathing hard. This is a fairly quick trot for him, but no faster than when he goes running with me. I'm out of shape though and I can't run over a mile yet, and he never seems tired at all when we're done. You know, that minpin energy and all. I'm hoping the treadmill will give him an actual workout that will burn off some of that energy. He'll actually jump on there himself, but he doesn't stay on long because it seems like he can't stay in position well without the aid of a leash.
My other larger dogs don't really seem too great at it lol. Bheka, my Greater swiss mountain dog puppy can do it at about a half mile per hour but not too well, though you can tell she's trying really hard, and I don't wanna stress her hips so I'm not rushing her or leaving her on over a minute or two, and Walnut is just not keen on it at all.

Just wondering about anyone elses experiences since I haven't seen it mentioned on here.

rainbow
December 15th, 2009, 12:35 AM
I don't believe you at all ..... we want pics. :D

hazelrunpack
December 15th, 2009, 12:38 AM
:laughing: I was thinking that, too--we need pics :D (only difference is, hazel believes you, MBIE :angel: )

rainbow
December 15th, 2009, 12:50 AM
Don't believe her MBIE ...Hazel always fibs but tries to blame it on her other personalities. :laughing:

hazelrunpack
December 15th, 2009, 12:58 AM
Never. Didn't you see my halo, rainbow? :angel:

MyBirdIsEvil
December 15th, 2009, 01:00 AM
I wonder if I can somehow get video from my phone to here. I took a video of him yesterday on the treadmill to send to my cousin.

Yeah, I can take pics with my camera if nothing else though.

Lemme see about the video first.

hazelrunpack
December 15th, 2009, 01:03 AM
I've often wondered whether the Pack would use one. We have some woosses, though--Grace would for sure be scared of it... Macie would probably lie down and slide off. :o But some of the others might actually enjoy one :shrug:

MyBirdIsEvil
December 15th, 2009, 01:35 AM
http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/bb142/anostomusternetzi/Mobile%20Uploads/?action=view&current=1213090013.flv

Ok, try that. It won't play for me, but I'm on Linux and I think it's a Linux compatibility issue with photobucket.

rainbow
December 15th, 2009, 01:39 AM
I don't think either of my two boys would get on it :shrug: ......maybe if it wasn't a motorized one but I still doubt it. :rolleyes:

Hope you can get pics MBIE :fingerscr

rainbow
December 15th, 2009, 01:44 AM
http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/bb142/anostomusternetzi/Mobile%20Uploads/?action=view&current=1213090013.flv

Ok, try that. It won't play for me, but I'm on Linux and I think it's a Linux compatibility issue with photobucket.

It was mostly all dark for me ....I could hear the treadmill but all I could see was a bit of a dog's ear occasionally.

MyBirdIsEvil
December 15th, 2009, 01:52 AM
Hmmm. I have a really crappy phone and photobucket makes videos even darker. I'll have to get my cameras back from my MIL so I can take some better video.

Melinda
December 15th, 2009, 04:27 AM
we put Brina on it a few weeks ago, she doesn't seem to mind it , but she looks so bored *L*

MyBirdIsEvil
December 15th, 2009, 04:56 AM
That's funny, I thought Rosco would get bored pretty quick but he seems to like concentrating on walking. When I turn it off he looks like "We're done already?", but I don't wanna leave him on it too long at first.

angeldogs
December 15th, 2009, 06:41 AM
We have done it with a couple dogs.most of them have taken awhile to catch on.once they started to concentrate on the walking they did good.

Earlk
December 15th, 2009, 11:22 AM
About 3 years ago I was asked to join the staff at GoPet in Pennsylvania. Their mission was to develop a self powered dog tread wheel which they have done successfully. It was too big for the big dogs so they import PetRun treadmills for the dogs up to the Giant breeds. The dogs really do walk and run up to 20 miles a day. For the treadmills you almost need that low profile bar to enclose it so they don't just step off and on.

Best Wishes,