Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Feeding a foster

Macomom
December 14th, 2009, 11:21 AM
Hello Foster Families,

I was wondering how you went about feeding your new fosters.
Do you try to match what they were eating previously (if you know)?
Do you try to move them over to what you are feeding? If so, how fast?
If you feed RAW, do you move them over to kibble for the new adoptive owners?

My foster Poko is finicky. She eats at least one meal a day and turns her nose up at the other.
It could be a Poko thing, a bassett thing, or a foster issue since I don't know her history and what she was eating previously. I am feeding her Orijen and I have tried mixing it with warm water, some parmesan, broth etc.. On the days that she turns her nose up at it, she can't be convinced. Because there are other dogs in the house, I will put her in a smaller room with me, away from the other dogs and feed her in privacy. At these times, she won't even hand feed.
Additionally, she won't eat Frommes either.
Then, other times, she seems to love it at other times and eats her entire bowl.

I am a bit worried that she has a personal preference, a type of food she is used to. She seems to be fine with the Orijen when she does eat (no stool problems) but I am not convinced she likes it.
Since the history of these dogs is unknown, how do you get through feeding, transitions etc?

Thanks.

Chris21711
December 14th, 2009, 11:38 AM
A picky Basset :eek:...we have lived with 5 and none of them have ever been picky Macomom, to the contrary they will eat anything and everything I put in front of them. Maybe she was used to eating kibble with grains :shrug:...If it were me I would get different sample bags from the pet food store and mix with a little canned food.....Sorry I can't be of more help :o

Three of ours came from rescues, so I had no idea what they were eating, but never encountered any problems with them being finicky.

Just a thought, when Jack first found us, I was giving him the Acana that the guys eat and he didn't seem fond of it at all, so I buckled and bought a small bag of Pedigree :yuck: and he ate that. Now he eats the Acana mixed with canned or whatever I cook for them no problem.

Macomom
December 14th, 2009, 11:42 AM
All I know is that this was a group of students.Maybe they bought grocery store dog food for her.
I will try mixing the Orijen with some wet food- I have Wellness turkey on hand and see if that works.
Chris, she loves loves people food. She counter surfs, as I mentioned, and really enjoyed a piece of bumbleberry pie :) She apparently likes cheese, meat, toast or crackers as she seems to be telling us by attempting to beg- just not kibble. :D

BenMax
December 14th, 2009, 11:45 AM
Check with the rescue to find out if they agree with raw diet first of all. Personally, I do not make decisions on what to feed the dogs unless it is vet recommended. I consult with the rescue first to see what they suggest.

For my fosters, I do get either Acana or Natural Balance. It is affordable and the adoptive families don't want to deal with bowl problems, and therefore stick with the food recommended. If you are a raw diet feeder but the rescue disagrees, then feed what the rescue does recommend and you can empower the new adoptive family with more information on raw feeding.

Chris21711
December 14th, 2009, 11:46 AM
People food is pure heaven :laughing:...When Cocoa was alive she would get picky some days, even though I know it is not the greatest thing to do, I would scrunch potato chips and mix in with her food, it seemed to work.....Which flavour Orijen are you giving, Cocoa HATED fish flavoured kibble.

totallyhip
December 14th, 2009, 01:56 PM
We feed our fosters kibble. Usually whatever we have that was donated to us. Which is usually the Wellness Core. My dogs are fed raw. But I do not change fosters to raw, as most people I find ony feed kibble. We have had fosters who are finicky. Try adding chicken broth to the kibble, or canned tripe, or even some white rice and boiled chicken. Good luck!

Macomom
December 14th, 2009, 01:59 PM
I haven't put any of the fosters on RAW for all the reasons mentioned. I was just thinking this morning that there must be a big transition for the foster puppies to change food when going to a new home :)

Dog Dancer
December 14th, 2009, 02:54 PM
Now I have no experience with fosters at all, but if she's eating one good meal per day is there a reason you're concerned she's not eating two? Maybe she's just used to eating once a day. Shadow is offered food twice a day, but quite regularly will only eat once. Like you I've tried hand feeding her, but sometimes she's just not interested. If she's not losing weight and seems healthy enough I'd be inclined to stick with what you're doing and offer her it twice but so long as she's eating once not to worry too much. Just thought I'd throw that in, although it may not be of any interest to you at all. Shadow just now ate her breakfast as I ate my lunch, this morning she was totally uninterested in it.

Macomom
December 14th, 2009, 06:35 PM
Hey Dog Dancer,
Thanks for the reassurance. I did get a very enthusiastic appetite out of her at supper today by mixing her kibble with Wellness Turkey wet food. She seemed quite pleased with her meal.
I will keep an eye on her weight, as I do with my other puppers. I guess I am a bit hypersensitive since I don't know any of the fosters well when I first get them- I am constantly observing for signs of discomfort or pleasure.
You want them to fit in and feel good with the other dogs; which includes eating with enthusiasm. Maybe this is a people thing though, and not a dog emotion at all ")