Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Crates/Travel

klshep
August 25th, 2004, 10:43 PM
we travel a lot, and thought that our new puppy's(lab/shepherd cross) crate would be best for transport - problem is the crate takes up the entire cargo space of my grand cherokee and only fits in with the gate lookng to the side. Any body know of solutions?

Luba
August 25th, 2004, 10:47 PM
You can get harnesses for them to anchor them for travel (the dogs that is)

Like seatbelts :D look around, prices vary

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/doolittlespetproduts/petbuckle1.html

http://www.pooch.ca/cat161_1.htm

http://www.arcatapet.com/category.cfm?catnum=252

Writing4Fun
August 25th, 2004, 10:50 PM
Well, if you want to keep the dog separated from the passengers, you can put up a divider. They're pretty expensive if you buy them from pet stores. I saw a woman use a baby gate once. She had to bungee it to the headrests, but it worked. If it's safety you're looking for, we bought a harness that you strap a seatbelt through. If your rear seatbelts can slide through the seats into the cargo area, you might consider this as an alternative to a crate. Our rear seats are a 50/50 split, so the middle seat belt slides right through them. The dog is able to stand, turn around and lie down, but can't walk around and is also protected in the event of an accident.

krdahmer
August 25th, 2004, 11:34 PM
Ya and can you believe they don't make those harnesses for kitties?? My girls love the car and often head up to Kincardine to the in-laws with me....so I fashioned them their own seat belts! Cause just try to keep a cat in a carrier that long....the cries will break your heart!!! :rolleyes:

Writing4Fun
August 25th, 2004, 11:37 PM
Cause just try to keep a cat in a carrier that long....the cries will break your heart!!! :rolleyes:
LOL We moved from Montreal to Innisfil - with the dog strapped in the back seat and the cat in his carrier. What a joyous road trip that was!! :rolleyes:

GsdDiamond
August 26th, 2004, 09:55 AM
We use a harness & petbelt to buckle Diamond for any car ride. She only travels in her crate if there's a third person travelling with us. That's just to prevent her from jumping all over them.
The only thing about keeping them kennelled while travelling is air circulation. It can get very hot for them to be in a normal travel crate. A wire kennel is better, but still not as good as being able to spread out and enjoy the air from the window.

msteele34
April 25th, 2005, 05:31 PM
Hi,
We are planning to drive across the country (Winnipeg to Buffalo, NY) this summer with our dog who will then be 7 months old. He will likely be about 80 lbs by then and there is no way a crate will fit in our Honda. I am thinking of bringing his wire crate for the hotel room but it is heavy and he may have outgrown it by then. Does anyone know of a good travel crate for a large dog?

Also, we used the safety harness seat belt with him for the first few months but his hatred and dread of getting in the car just grew. I finally stopped using it, but he is still unhappy about getting into the car. Once in, he is fine. Can anyone recommend a good seatbelt for a growing puppy and is there any way to make the seatbelt not unpleasant for the dog?

Thanks

SnowDancer
April 25th, 2005, 06:59 PM
msteele34 - Have you looked at the Nylabone crates? I don't have one - my dog uses his seat belt, but they fold flat - and when opened the inside dimensions are those of a larger crate by virtue of the way it is manufactured. Unfortunately they are plastic and not made of "Nylabone" for those of us with little dogs with BIG teeth. I did look them up on the web once and happened to see one in a store the other day.

Beaglemom
April 26th, 2005, 08:16 AM
I drive a two door car and there is no way I can get a crate in my car. I taught my dog to ride only in the back seat. As soon as she gets in the car she heads straight to the back.

I always strap her in with her own seat belt to keep her protected if I should have to make a sudden stop or if we are in an accident.

Doggie seatbelts can be bought at most pet stores. They are attached to the dog's harness and then latched to your car's seatbelt system. If you buy an adjustable harness it can be adjusted as your puppy grows. My dog has grown to love her harness, it means car ride time!

I also like the idea of using the barrier as suggested before, if you want to keep your dog out of the passenger area.